An Englishman Abroad.....

• Thread starter Thread starter AndySams10
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 127
  • Views Views 16K
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cheers mate, appreciate the comments. Yeah, thought I'd start at the bottom in Norway and see where my journey takes me. :)

Last night I started a new file, Unemployed and Semi Pro past as thats what I used to play. Managing Havent & Waterloovile in the Blue Sqaure South so this will be a challange to try and get to a top club. Not doing to bad a month in and im sitting 2nd, Considering doing a story for it but not sure if there would be much interest

Last night I started a new file, Unemployed and Semi Pro past as thats what I used to play. Managing Havent & Waterloovile in the Blue Sqaure South so this will be a challange to try and get to a top club. Not doing to bad a month in and im sitting 2nd, Considering doing a story for it but not sure if there would be much interest

give it a go love storys about small club that make it big

When im home from work ill do my first update, wont be easy to climb to managerial ladder but il give it a good go
i will keep a eye out for it look at mojo story with guernsey to see what can be done

Good luck with it. I'm set my experience to Semi-Pro as that's what I used to play and level I coach at currently. Thanks for the comments. :)

Good luck with it. I'm set my experience to Semi-Pro as that's what I used to play and level I coach at currently. Thanks for the comments. :)

Oh right only coaching I do is on FM haha
My aim is to get into management in Portugal or Belguim for decent regens and if I can top them leagues I think it should be the gateway to a bigger job

You got a link to it? Il have a look for it now but just makes it a bit easier to find haha

here look for this fountain of youth discoverd on guernsey it is awsome think its on page 4 or 5 in the storys

Hi Guys,

Thank you for the great feedback/comments. Just done pre-season, so next update will be added later, when I get back from coaching.

Thanks again. :D

March 2013

100px-Follo_fotball.png

FOLLO FK
(SEASON 2)

Back from my end of season break and I got straight into planning for life in the Norwegian First Division. All though on the whole the current squad is, I feel, good enough to meet our expectations of a mid-table finish, I feel I need to bring in 2/3 players just to keep everyone on their toes and freshen up the group before we embark on our pre-season friendlies.

TRANSFERS IN

View attachment 321144View attachment 321145

Christian Gauseth - Christian was available on a free and came highly recommended by our Scout, Bjorn-Inge Nilsen. He will provide competition for the central midfielders and allow me to rotate more frequently when needed.

Espen Standal - A striker that will add depth to my strike force and will give me the option of play with 2 upfront, if and when I decide to change. Espen is highly rated at Odd and I'm delighted we have captured him on a season long loan.

Friendly
Saturday 2nd March 2013
Ulleval Stadion. Att: 5,092

Follo FK (1 - 1) Valerenga
Andreasson

This was our first game at our temporary home and we didn't disappoint the big crowd.
We matched the Tippeligaen side and were worthy of our draw.

Friendly
Saturday 9th March 2013
Ulleval Stadion. Att: 539

Follo FK (1 - 3) Odd
Vestvatn

Completely out played by our higher division oppenents and the score line could've been much worse, but for our keeper
who kept the score down to a respectful number.

Friendly
Wednesday 13th March 2013
Ulleval Stadion. Att: 366

Follo FK (0 - 3) GAIS

Again, we were outclassed by our hosts, who are in the division above, finishing ability. Despite matching them for
possession, we were very wasteful in front of goal, something that has to be corrected if we are to meet our aims.

Friendly
Saturday 16th March 2013
Tollness Stadion. Att: 80

Tollness (0 - 3) Follo FK
Pape Mendy, Vestvatn, Gauseth

A win at last, but I won't be getting carried away, as we are a far more superior team than our
opponents. None the less, it's a win that will hopefully raise the morale levels.

Friendly
Saturday 30th March 2013
Pors Stadion. Att: 16

Pors (0 - 2) Follo FK
Pape Mendy, Markegard

Another morale boosting win against another lowly ranked side. The score should've been more,
but I did use this game to give some fringe players the chance to impress.

With the start of the season next week, I'm slightly worried that we may not have the quality to compete in this league. Although I've brought in 2 players, there is no other talent available, unless I splash some cash, but due to the stadium improvements I have no money available.
I'm hoping I can be proved wrong and that my young team, can make the step up quickly and perform to the levels required to compete in this division.

Hi All. Busy day coaching, but will get next update posted later tonite. :)

April 2013

100px-Follo_fotball.png

First Division
Sunday 7th April 2013
Gjemselund. Att: 1,221

Kongsvinger (1 -1) Follo FK
Markegard

A draw was a fair result today, as both sides cancelled each other out.

First Division
Wednesday 10th April 2013
Ulleval Stadion. Att: 634

Follo FK (4 - 2) Ranheim
Vestvatn, Markegard(3)

Fantastic performance and result in front of our home support. Eirik Markegard once
again showed how vital he will be to any success we have this season, as he bagged a hat-trick.

First Division
Sunday 14th April 2013
UKl Arena. Att: 277

Ull/Kisa (3 - 5) Follo FK
Elvenes, Markegard(2), Vestvatn(2)

A very nice away win, but our defending was not very impressive. Again, the in form Markegard
helped himself to a brace and our 5th goal was substitute Markus Elvenes's 1st of the season and his debut
appearance under my management.

First Division
Sunday 21st April 2013
Idrettsparken. Att: 794

Notodden (0 - 0) Follo FK

A boring draw, where both sides didn't create an opening to score.

First Division
Sunday 28th April 2013
Ulleval Stadion. Att: 637

Follo FK (1 - 1) Alta
Pape Mendy

Another draw, but still unbeaten. This game was tipped to be a relegation 6 pointer beforethe start of the season,
but it was us who sat much higher in the league than our opponents.
It was the visitors that took the lead, with a goal against the run of play. Just when I thought we were heading for our
first defeat, Pape Mendy cut in from the left and fired home the equaliser.

View attachment 321823

After my pre-season worries that my team wouldn't be able to compete in the league, I have to admit that I've been very surprised by the quality of our performances so far.
I can't afford to get too carried away, as it's very early in the season, but if we can continue to play confidently and stay injury free then maybe we could surprise a few and finish higher than has been predicted.

May 2013

100px-Follo_fotball.png

First Division
Thursday 2nd May 2013
Ulleval Stadion. Att: 955

Follo FK (0 - 1) Stabaek

We fell to our first defeat this evening, but we can take a lot of positives from the game.
Our visitors are tipped to be challenging for promotion, but we matched them throughout and were unlucky
not to take them lead when Andreasson headed over from close range.
Stabaek scored in the 38th minute, which turned out to be the winner, as we found it difficult to draw level.

Norwegian Cup - 1st Round
Sunday 5th May 2013
KFUM Arena. Att: 169

KFUM Oslo (0 - 3) Follo FK
Standal, Andreasson, Elvesnes

Playing against a lower league team I decided to make a few changes and it paid off. Espen Standal grabbed
his first for the club early on and we dominated from then on to seal a nice win.

First Division
Sunday 12th May 2013
Grorud Stadion. Att: 252

Grorud (0 - 1) Follo FK
Markegard

A win, but a very poor game throughout. We had the most possession and shots on goals, but due to poor
finishing and excellent goalkeeping we couldn't add to our tally.

Norwegian Cup - 2nd Round
Wednesday 15th May 2013
Lystlunden. Att: 468

Orn Horten (3 - 1) Follo FK
Standal

My decision to rest players back fired today, as we were knocked out by a lowly 2nd Divison side. Although we
drew level, thanks to Espen Standal, we were dealt a blow when the hosts scored on the stroke of half time.
As the game wore on, we started to throw more men forward looking for an equaliser, but found ourselves
conceding again and being knocked out.

images

SAMUELS TURNS DOWN SARPSBORG

200px-Sarpsborg_08_FF_logo.svg.png

ESPN can confirm that Follo FK Manager Andy Samuels has rejected the chance
to become Sarpsborg 08 Manager.
Sarpsborg made the approach for the young English Manager after they sacked Brian Deane following
a poor start to the Norwegian First Division.
Samuels, who has lead Follo FK to promotion last season, has guided them into the play off places despite
limited funds. It's Samuels' attention to detail and new ideas that encouraged sarpsborg to make a move for the
relatively unknown Manager.
Though Samuels spent a couple months at Sarpsborg coaching the Under 19s,
he seems more than happy in his current role for the time being and will be a big blow for the Sarpsborg board.

May 2013(cont...)

100px-Follo_fotball.png

images

SAMUELS STAYS PUT!

images

Follo FK Manager Andy Samuels has turned down the chance to move to First
Division rivals Sarpsborg 08.
After his sides shock 3 - 1 exit in the Norwegian Second Round, Samuels went public on the clubs
website to explain his decision.

" I'm very flattered Sarpsborg approached me, but I'm delighted with what we have achieved so
far, with our promotion last season and our excellent start to this campaign. "
He said.
Samuels went onto add. " Although I don't know what my future holds, I'm 100% committed to the challenges
that lay ahead here at Follo Fk and hope for more success in the near future. "

Now that my short term future had been laid to rest for the time being, it was back out on the training pitch to prepare for our upcoming games in May. I'm hoping the recent media distractions won't derail our fine start to the league campaign and that morale stays as high as it has been throughout the squad.
However, we were dealt a blow when experienced Portugese midfielder Jorge Cordeiro was ruled out for upto 5 weeks with a twisted ankle.

First Division
Wednesday 22nd May 2013
Varden Amfi. Att: 398

Fyllingsdalen (0 - 3) Follo FK
Markegard(3)

We stayed focused despite uncertainty about my future and continued our good league form.
Eirik Markegard continued his fine form as he grabbed his second hat-trick of the season.

First Division
Sunday 26th May 2013
TUIL Arena. Att: 652

Tromsdalen (2 - 2) Follo FK
Markegard, Pape Mendy

We blew a big chance to move within reach of the top 2, as we conceded in injury time.
We lead twice in the game, but complacency crept in, as we gifted both goals due to sloppy
passing in midfield.

First Division
Wednesday 29th May 2013
Ulleval Stadion. Att: 879

Follo FK (1 - 0) Sarpsborg 08
Markegard

With the recent approach made for my services by our opposition today, I wanted to show our fans
I made the right choice to stick with the team and we didn't disappoint. In form Eirik Markegard was the hero,
he scored from close range to seal a lovely victory.

View attachment 321972

Very disappointing to lose in the cup, as I felt we had enough ability to progress despite the changes I made. On the positive side and in the competition I want to impress in, our league form has been sensational. If we can keep Eirik Markegard fit, then we could challenge for a playoff place come the end of the season and now with my future sorted, that is what my target will be as we approach the half way point of the season.

well done very good job you are doing glad you did not jump ship most would have done

well done very good job you are doing glad you did not jump ship most would have done

Cheers bud. Yeah, thought they are in same league, we have better players, so thought I'd stay. May change if bigger club comes in, but we'll see how I get on with Follo FK first. :)

June 2013

100px-Follo_fotball.png

First Division
Sunday 2nd June 2013
Kristiansand Stadion. Att: 1,460

Floy (1 - 2) Follo FK
Stormoen Raddum, Karoliussen

A comfortable win this afternoon. We took the lead through Patrik Karoliussen who scored
direct from a free kick. We were soon pegged back when we conceded from a corner in the 4oth minute. As
we headed into injury time in the 1st half, Halvor Stormoen Raddum nodded in what proved to be the winner, as he
out jumped his marker from an inswinging corner.

First Division
Wednesday 12th June 2013
Ulleval Stadion. Att: 696

Follo FK (2 - 2) Bodo/Glimt
Gauseth, Andreasson

Disappointing draw as we let slip a 2 goal lead. Christian Gauseth fired us into the lead in the 11th minute,
when he stroked home a fine 20 yard effort. We then doubled our lead 5 minutes later through a Havard
Andreasson strike, when he stabbed home from close range. All our hard work was undone inside the final
10 minutes, as we conceded 2 goals to throw away what could be a vital 3 points.

First Division
Wednesday 19th June 2013
Ulleval Stadion. Att: 669

Follo FK (0 - 1) Bryne

If I thought the 2 points we dropped in our last game was bad, this was even worse. I had hoped
for a reaction in front of our home crowd against a side near us in the table, but we never got going and looked disjointed throughout.

View attachment 322510

I'm hoping the 4 points dropped in our last 2 games against sides near us in the league, won't come back to haunt us at the end of the season. Despite only losing 2 matches in the league so far, we have drawn too many which again could prove costly.
On the positive, we are playing very well and show we are a match for any side in this division, I just hope it continues and we can use the 3 week break ahead to re-charge and
work on more tactics in training.

July 2013

100px-Follo_fotball.png

We had a three week break until our next fixture and as we neared the half way point of the season, it gave me a great chance to scour the transfer market for any players who were nearing the end of their contracts, that I could pre-sign in preparation for next season.
As it was unclear whether we would be playing in the top flight or in our current league, I had to make sure any signings were well scouted and had to either add similar quality to the squad or better what I currently had at my disposal.

TRANSFERS IN.

View attachment 322515

Boli - First in through the door was 19 year old Ivory Coast forward Boli. He was transfer listed for Free from our division rivals Stabaek and joins on a permanent deal.
Boli will add another option up front, as loan forward Espen Standal wanted his loan move terminated, which I duly accepted as I wanted players who will fight hard for a starting place and not moan about it.

View attachment 322517View attachment 322518

Thomas Araum - Thomas has signed a pre-contract to join the club at the end of the season from Sarpsborg 08. He has been signed with the future in mind, but could still play a part next season, as there maybe a couple of defensive departures come the end of the season.

Marius Lundemo - 17 year old midfielder Marius
has also signed a pre-contract deal to join at the end of the season. He is highly thought of at current club Baerum and I'm delighted we beat several teams for his signature.

First Division
Saturday 20th July 2013
Ski Stadion. Att: 1,344

Follo FK (1 - 1) Fredrikstad
Markegard

Our first game back in our stadium following it's stadium renovation. We fell behind in the 7th minute,
as the league leaders took the lead from a well worked corner routine.
We deservedly drew level in the 79th minute when leading scorer Eirik Markegard slid in to equalise.

First Division
Wednesday 24th July 2013
Ulleval Stadion. Att: 331

Strommen (1 - 1) Follo FK
Leivadiotis

17 year old Stefanos Leivadiotis grabbed his first ever goal when he headed home a free kick
to give us the lead in the 56th minute. Unfortunately we couldn't hold on as our visitors
levelled the scores with 10 minutes remaining of the second half.

First Division
Saturday 27th July 2013
Ski Stadion. Att: 1,069

Follo FK (3 - 1) Kongsvinger
Vestvatn, Karoliussen, Markegard

At last a victory, having gone 4 games without a win it was nice to end the month with
a fine victory to give us a much deserved 3 points.
Inside forward Oystein Vestvatn gave us the lead with a powerful finish from the edge of the
area. Our lead was doubled soon after when Patrik Karoliussen headed home from close range.
Kongsvinger pulled one back as we had our lead cut in half to go in 2-1 up at the break. In the second half
and in form striker Eirik Markegard sealed the win, when he tapped home our third.

View attachment 322524

An average month overall on the pitch, as we picked up 5 points from a possible 9. The result against top of the Fredrikstad was a pleasing performance, as it showed we are capable of matching the stronger sides in the division.
Off the pitch I was delighted to bring Boli to the club, although he was not needed at Stabaek, I had him thoroughly scouted and the reports came back very promising and if trained correctly could be a start of the future.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back