Aberdeen's season started off kind of rocky, I was average in my few appearances but Derek McInnes had to switch things up after pressures from the media and board.. This ended up meaning he'd leave for the West Brom job.

He was replaced by Jim McIntyre who hadn't moved on from his Ross County 4-4-2, he didn't care for creativity and this meant a goodbye to myself in the more advanced midfield role.

My career is starting to be a thing and soon enough I won't be that hot prospect but that dead weight, that's got to change.

January is rolling around a decision has to be made.

//

A text came through on the 3rd of January, I hadn't gotten around to really asking for time or a move and now the boss wanted to see me. He asked for me to come in early the following day to sort out a possible contract.

Funny thing is, I am in early everyday. But sure, whatever floats his boat.

I forwarded the text to Frank Dingwall, my agent, and from there I had to do some thinking. Frank hadn't received any contact regarding my availability.

I decided I would agree a 1 year extension. I didn't want to commit if I wasn't playing, I'd also take the small pay rise. However, despite what may or may not have been said by Derek McInnes at the start of the season, I was still not guaranteed football but "will get in and around the first team".

I miss Derek McInnes and no one could really settle with Jim but maybe things will change. Just got to hope.

d5acf92d1f5da09d4cf38901ca667f89.png

@CalumJames58: Contract sorted. Now I just got to plug on and get playing!! #GettingThere #Aberdeen

@AberdFan123: @CalumJames58 Why doesn't the boss play you?!!? You're a star! #JimOut

//

83d7677aa60fda18d378852dab71670c.png

My competition -
ea21736b389fd5542f88adaa9df1e3eb.png

Oh yeah, picked up a cheeky bruised rib.

Also hate to say it but Jim McIntyre's 4-4-2 that doesn't feature me seems to work but can't quite catch tycoon-fueled St Mirren..
65a0df524e66272d4bcf563e40b5a21b.png

Partick Thistle are the only team with a shoe in from Glasgow!!!

Edit* ^ Look how close that is, ignore my comments about Partick Thistle wow!​

Last edited:
The 2017/2018 season has drawn a close with Calum James turning 20..

This was the original report produced by Celtic..

17f67fb4f72d9c7575a44eb050961827.png

and this is it 4 years later...

120bfa554685952b8d30a42c5c60bdf3.png

A few changes but nothing on what he could have been.

With the competition at the club I was available on loan but whenever clubs swooped it would come at times where Jim decided I was required.

be2dad78d97d48671203b938e3f8de30.png

I played 14 competitive games this season, starting 8 and grabbing my first competitive goal. Cup runs didn't last and that didn't really help. What doesn't help is that this kid is being pushed ahead of me -

1d1bf939df491db5e29e21d13c53ace4.png

He picked up a massive 17 games off the bench in the league, that could have been me getting game time but nah.

I can't help but feel with the sheer number of central players at the club and only space for 2 in that 4-4-2 that maybe it's time I leave. We'll see how the summer goes. A few clubs are after me, but nobody of note.

bf5a90bea7a4bed58e0dcfd9d66882d2.png

St. Mi$$en ;) ran away with the league. The once-biggest four of Scotland were left in their wake with Dundee United and Hibernian struggling near the bottom. Rangers missed out on European football so their wait for that taste continues.

//

BBC Scotland had Jim McIntyre in for an interview to discuss a mass-exodus of players..

BBC: "Jim, clubs finances are looking shaky and a number of players haven't had contracts renewed. Can you let fans know what things are looking like for next season?"

JM: "Yeah, well things are getting there. There was players on wages that wasn't necessary. We have a good amount of youngsters coming through that we can work with. Darren Booth, Calum James, Kris Mitchell and the likes of Darren Gauld. All these players are involved with the Scotland youth squad and it's a good opportunity for us to push with youth."

BBC: "The financial issues have come at a time with ageing players, has it been harder to offload them?"

JM: "Well, no I mean most of them had contracts up until the end of this season. It's now time to work with our youth and really push for some success next year."

//

Squad come end of the season..

df980ce2c14b95cf4fd70a89cfd5bfe2.png

Finances bounce between insecure and okay.

//

Next season HAS to be a big one.. Progress sucked after that American start and injuries. Sacre-bleuuu​

I made a mistake not leaving in the Summer.

It was the 15th of December, I had featured twice for the club and I was really fighting for a spot in the 2-man midfield, which was where fan favourite Ryan Jack and technical genius Kenny MacLean featured.

Training was intense, I was just back from 5 weeks out with fractured ribs and we were working on set pieces when I challenged Mark Reynolds in the air and got crunched, I fell back and broke my arm. There goes another 6 weeks, meaning no one would pick me up in January.

Chris McCart phoned me, my mentor and friend who was interested in me while he was Head of Youth at Celtic 5 years ago. He's still there.

"Hi Calum, heard of your broken arm. It's not great, really is it? Things could have been so different."

"Yeah, it's an absolute joke man. I'm broken."

This is where the spiral started, winter blues in the North of Scotland accompanied by a stupid broken arm and no football. My career stagnated and I couldn't help but feel I was destined for back up football and time in the lower leagues.

//

ae980a27b5f9d111d23d076236a34545.png

Joke.

683ee9eef902f9964de25a54e31a7d89.png

1b88c8537fd764c5401a19fef88c3cb7.png

Celtic were able to stop a rampant St Mirren side Hearts and ourselves lead the chasing pact.

61ed01ce6a9b0e3d8b87b04b89ce64ae.png

4 months, 3 months, 4 weeks, 2 weeks, 5 weeks, 6 weeks to be. All coming at such crucial times..

Contract expires the end of the season and it may be that I leave. Not getting the chance to prove myself.

On the plus side however, MacLean is unhappy at the club. This could create opportunity.

//

Least my player has some sense..

de902d246a1115be4703413ef2048810.png

So unlucky, so many of us are getting ruined by these injuries :(

So unlucky, so many of us are getting ruined by these injuries :(

It's gutting! What annoys me though is that theres so many good central players in this Aberdeen squad and Jim McIntyre won't budge from a 4-4-2 while Derek McInnes played like 5 central players :(

Frank Dingwall, my agent, cut all ties with me on the 3rd of January leaving me in an awkward, agentless position going ahead in January. The club said they could get something organised before Michael, my Mothers now husband, said his cousin was heavily involved with football in the States. I was then set up with Richard Gallegos behind my back.

All his work is done in the States and really thinks get worse for me.

January 31st, returned from injury, with no clubs looking for me.

There's no way I can get a contract out of Aberdeen. Morale is at an all time low.​

d182240101eb8b3948148ec0f5249721.png

@AberdeenFC: .@CallumJames58 has signed a 1 year extension that will keep him at Pittodrie!

@CallumJames58: "It was a tough decision but one I am happy with. Thanks for the support. #GettingThere"

//

Jim McIntyre said he wasn't sure what was next for the 21 year old who was once seen as the next big thing at Aberdeen, injuries have cost his development but there's still a lot he can offer in a side stacked with talent.

The youngster has continued to feature for the U21 Scotland side despite only featuring twice in the league. However, his performances in the Under 20 developmental league have been second to none with several player of the match rewards.

Aberdeen have featured in Europe every season James has been contracted to them and despite finishing 4th there is a chance of continental qualification through the Scottish Cup final on Sunday.

Calum James hasn't touched the Scottish Cup scene and it's suspected that will be the case once again.

//

ad1bccebbd06167aa54f71230877c065.png

There's no way I can break into the team. There's 2 central players playing, the regulars are absolute quality and Scotland National Team regulars, while there's Willo Flood and 2 regens seemingly ahead of me in the pecking order.

I know I certainly wouldn't have signed that contract!

//

Doubt I will feature in the Scottish Cup final! :(

Gutted my player has to take a backseat as Aberdeen enjoy a successful period!

8d740a395c94e2e24ce395aef1732e79.png

Celtic manage to take the title away from St. Mirren as Hearts and us were left chasing fro a final European spot.

231b38a785b98e1fd650e47c621165c2.png

Easy run, however I did not feature.​

883d372d82a131b848d47e2c881033d6.png

There's nothing quite like the Scottish Cup and nothing quite like a cup final day, not that I have experienced many. But I knew I was given the opportunity to be on the bench rather than at home or in the stands.

Both teams had similar line-ups and neither team had injury concerns.

9d53d3bbd58da6e30fb404516cdd88ed.png

I'd be delighted if I could feature.

//

HIBERNIAN takes the lead early! Paul Cairney - 14 Minutes

1-0

ABERDEEN respond with a huge header! David Goodwillie - 28 Minutes

1-1

Half-time arrived at 1-1.
-
The first half was full of long range efforts and slow paced action.
No changes were made at half-time.
-

Fan favourite Hayes replaced full-back McIlduff with 15 to go.

Hot prospect Ross Hamilton replaced McKay after missing 2 clear cut chances with ten to go.

Hibs go down to ten men with 1 minute to go after substitute McGeuoch picked up an immediate injury #OnlyFM

FULL TIME

1-1

"Calum, over here!"

I was called over by the gaffer as I was half stretching talking away to Darren Booth.

"Yeah, boss. What's the matter?"

"This is going the distance. I need your legs in the middle of that park. We have a man advantage. Goodwillie is going to come wide and we are playing you just behind Ross alright?"

"Sure, yes boss!"

Honestly never expected the chance but I was put in a creative position to run and cause havoc.

I stripped down and got on that pitch for extra time of the Scottish Cup Final..

EXTRA TIME

Little happened. Hibernian were able to hold the ball and waste time. Jack and McLean were exhausted and maybe I should have replaced one of them.

Penalties.

We won the toss and opted to go first..

McLean stepped up first and netted it before Hibernian missed their first.

Goodwillie scored and Gillespie did the same.

2-1

Ryan Jack scored and they kept pushing as they did the same.

Our winger Pav JUST scored and they managed to do the same.

It was 4-3

I got sent to take the final spot kick.

I score and we win the Scottish Cup final.

2e1dbdba1bb2a7cc6894bdf87cf8551b.png

a254183e2473ad5691ca4e78dcd33cdb.png

da8250e07d0de263745d75ba4bb5c315.png

And I did it.

//

It was a huge moment for me. I hadn't featured throughout the season, injury, competition and all the sorts. However, I was given a shot in the Scottish Cup final and then I was given the fifth penalty.

And then I scored it.

dd9590a05587c68c6b4eb843b3589a1c.png

What a moment! Haha, really nice few updates mate :)

Thanks!

Yeah, was really surprised I was on the bench and actually came on.. then had the final penalty! Thank God I scored, better be a regular next season though after all I've done for them ;)

3de527466c4c5c78b2f43a73aa245935.png

Calum James hits out!

The now-Aberdeen fan favourite after his goal in the Scottish Cup final has reportedly hit out at manager Jim McIntyre in leaked text messaged between him and ex-Aberdeen star Niall McGinn.

It's not confirmed where the leak came from but it's suspected Niall McGinn shared them with friends and players and from there it escalated.

The screenshots showed that Niall McGinn opened up the conversation with "Yo you playing with Aberdeen this season?". The Scottish Cup winner, James, responded "Aye, by contract. McIntyre knows f*** all. Fans want me but doubt I'll get time on the pitch."

Niall McGinn suggested talking to the manager, James said he would and conversation continued in a secondary screenshot that appeared on the Daily Record with James saying "F*ck!ng back up, I'm done and want out the guys useless." The messages continued with an angry James making several jokes about the manager.

However, a statement yesterday from Aberdeen stated there was still a relationship in place and Jim McIntyre spoke to BBC Radio Scotland and said they were still working together.

A fan poll from the same source had 68% of people saying Calum James deserved first team football.

Only word from Calum James has been his Twitter. Same goes for Niall McGinn.

@CalumJames58: "Aye things happen, I wasn't being dead serious in tweets. Was frustrated. Thanks for the support!"

@nmginn10: "Yeah, a drunk me past the messages on. Was all meant in fun, still close to Calum and the club. No comments for media!!"

//

I am desperate to get out of the club though, Jim won't get close to playing me! August 31st however, and there's no real opportunities to leave.

2019 / 2020

Still looking for a break..

Another season has gone by without me playing! Never got my move away in January, the season was full of small, niggling injuries.

*Advice for anyone planning a BAP: avoid Everton AND Aberdeen*

*Also my player is an absolute cheese who took a pay cut for the club to remain on the bench!!*

John Roberton also replaced the sacked Jim McIntyre in March, I was injured at the time and couldn't have an immediate impression on him. He persuaded me that I should see time next season as this embarrassing season fritters to an end

1584e7b2ecf6f0dbd1019388cd01082b.png

To be honest it was the fans the pushed me to do it and the boss had me involved in with the core midfield group, something that Jim McIntyre didn't.

Next season must be a big season for me.

d542f42ec1fbda656be2a2408d8e71c4.png

e8cc808ec1341f8cd510b331bd1e4dbe.png

73ad4befa1cf11fa6f11ba8f57cca88f.png

Look at newly-promoted Livingston!!! Sign me up plssss

Also that Darren Booth kid, my young competition back in the day is coming along
71bda775e68dcada3bf76dfee12b7140.png

Good luck, I hope next season is your breakout! Booth looks impressive, hopefully one of you leaves so that you can get a chance somewhere

@CalumJames58: I've had some good moments with Aberdeen, thanks for the moments fans!!

@AberdeenFanApp: What's your thoughts? Calum James set to leave on a free as his contract runs up!

@DonsFAN110101: @AberdeenFanApp he could have been good but no point keeping him if no playing

@Numba1FanAberdeen: @AberdeenFanApp his Scottish cup final penalty and we make him take cuts!! Let the kid go play sumwhar!!

//

Looks like my time is up, desperate to find a club. Would drop a division or two just to play. Post-season update coming soon!!​

My 23rd birthday was met with news that John Robinson was being sacked after a disappointing season once again. I also was told that I 100% would not be given a new contract as I am surplus to requirements. It was coming after another season where nothing happened, another manager with false promises.

c29e6241084fda2efee906ed951cd729.png

Bit of a shame really but life goes on. I am 23 now and need to make something of myself.

Three days later I received a DM on Twitter from Chris O'Neil, a solid right back currently at Airdrie asking for my number. The number was past on and the following day Gary Bollan called me.

"Hi, Calum?"

"Yeah, that's me. Who's calling?"

"It's Gary, Gary Bollan. I'm currently the manager at Airdrie. We're trying to really create something here and I want you to come play with us."

"Oh aye, can I put you through to my agent? He's in the States but can get things sorted."

Details were passed on. I was at a meal and didn't want to be rude! So I'll let my agent do as he is supposed to.

2 days later I was sat at the Excelsior Stadium looking over a contract and talking about what we could do at the club. I was excited.

68422f8c5af0fdfb4da3328b0d19c47a.png

Pay rise and a flat rent-free for 6 months! I'd take it. 3 years with first team football at a club aiming for Premier League football. This could be something.

//

Aberdeen last season were again very poor.
e24ad2ccdcc4d69172fce10e5499103e.png

Airdrie are making progress.
0be7d3fed7ab3252212bdafab45286c9.png

//

Can Darren Ferguson replicate his Dad's greatness?

4373af4d81dbbfbcdda8c700ce2b428f.png

Can't even nearly catch a break..

November fell and I was contemplating leaving another club once again. I was excited at the prospect of playing in a club and being wanted by a manager yet nothing fell my way. I missed the start of the season through broken ribs and this meant I had to fight my way into the club and that was difficult.

However.

2ade0471d45b98a19443afdb5053724a.png

And then March fell and I hadn't touched a football on a pitch in a while and after a row with the Missus, then a reporter prior to training I was met by a grumpy Bollan.

I pushed past him before he bawled down the corridor at me. We hadn't been on the best of terms due to the broken promises. Unfortunately, he was doing wonders and sat in play-off spots and I was friends with the lads at the club so I couldn't take shots at anyone. I just shouted back, calling him a joke and said at this rate even he would have a better playing career than me and he was trash.

I wanted to like him, his achievements in the lower leagues at Scotland were huge and fans loved him. I liked him as a guy but he promised me football and a huge role in what he was wanting to do. I even had the captains arm band for goodness sakes!

This wasn't how Airdrie was supposed to go.

6b3fb4c089a70179b4f9a1a2e83c52b4.png

06df34d321e18430fbed26c503535df2.png

He holds grudges but hadn't stripped my captaincy!!

93344ce3a928b09b8777fd74f82ecd2c.png