The story of my Career..

fec37095b3d6c14b8c97a5c4cf497170.png

Usually gets accompanied with

30502d1779b1b147ab9bafee16f2400d.png

FM is a bizarre game and Calum James is a straight up detriment, played 4 times come October but signed the contract as a back up so what is there to complain about?

Football!?

The season is drawing to a close, Falkirk's first year back in the Championship wasn't perfect but we were 2 legs away from staying up for another year. On a personal level, however, it was one of my most active seasons. Notching up over 20 league appearances and having some massive performances in a bid for safety.

373d0e579dd4fec79af20b50f1841739.png

/

51a391d0e5d0f482dcd58ce29c72f92a.png

I played alright, I enjoyed my football for the first time in a long time though and that's the most important thing. I continued working with the SFA across Scotland too as well as picking up the Under 16 development squad twice a week. I was setting up for a Summer working towards my UEFA B License and it was something I was excited about. I didn't want to leave football. When I played well, the praise was a great feeling. When I didn't play having fans and the media question it was a huge motivation and when youngsters pick up moves I tried showing them it was a massive achievement.

I'm 28 and finally getting playing time, so I guess I have 6 or so years to prove myself. First though, I need to help Falkirk avoid the drop.

5bf463f04a1ab0bc7d42ed32754dcc3c.png

Also you'll notice Airdrie missed out on promotion in the play-offs AGAIN!!

Ouch! Dorrans left and Christophe Berra took over but fans got on his back very quickly over team decisions and tactical mishaps.

//

"Hello? .. Yeah it's Calum speaking"

"Hi Calum, It's Derek.. McInnes. How's things over in Scotland?"

"It's getting there for sure! Big game coming up but we're confident."

648e384036d7db30f1ab8facd5d18050.png

"Yeah, great to see you finally getting time. Absolutely gutted when I see you pop up on Sky Sports or in the paper as a player struggling in the Championship. You had so much to give and no one gave you the time. Looking back on it I wish I took you over to England with me."

"Yeah, means a lot. I'm getting there now. Just working with the next generation of footballers and doing what I can with Falkirk I guess. All the best."

Derek McInnes was the man who brought me back to Scotland. He gave me a lot of time but injuries stopped my chances in his squad then he got his big break in England.

f4030dbf2574afc3750ae6d908f80c03.png

In the opening leg that was to prove our fate I didn't feature, I had played in huge games before but I was rested after playing in both the previous legs despite telling the Gaffer I was there to play.

We lost 4-2 at home, Stenhousemuir were hungry. They were desperate for promotion and we were on the verge of relegation. I came on and was huge in our second goal. I kept working but Stenhousemuir flooded the midfield and our 4-4-2 couldn't cope.

7b7fe7a4cc46da2d3e3fe4f508c881bb.png

looooooool

@CalumJames58: It's moments like this where players can discover themselves. #LetsDoThis

Crazy to think people still tweet in 2026?!?!

I was again, benched ahead of the huge leg set to be played at home.

We got off to a flyer with a penalty, however they scored right before half time and this put us at a bit of discomfort. I came on after around 50 minutes and the second half was mad!

c5e548ffca875d9c9ca53d60f1d409da.png

We didn't win, but I played in a manic game! We were destined for League One but I wasn't sure if I was to be kept at the club due to finances.

Picked up an assist too in that game.

98130648d4ecbad532c4895085c49159.png

WHO IS CALUM JAMES?

As Calum James hits
28 and his 12 year in the game I guess it is a decent time to look over progress, clubs and memorable moments.

It all started in 2014 when my Mothers Fiance dragged me to America but thankfully Celtic, linked me up with New York Red Bulls. This is that first report that was sent over by Celtic.

17f67fb4f72d9c7575a44eb050961827.png

Now, I looked pretty decent for a young boy from Scotland with Italian routes.
Injuries started to play around with me and getting game time in America was hard, before eventually I found myself back in Scotland at boyhood and hometown club Aberdeen picked me up.

69ee9a67e1d55f7b1f8dd391ead8236d.png

And honestly I was happy with how things went, injuries hit me hard but Derrek McInnes believed in me and I was almost HUGE for Livingston before those injuries were like nah.

Derrek McInnes left and a series of managers at Aberdeen couldn't fit me in.

7a3c5441227645821765df508668fd26.png

Injuries and fall outs were particularly major problems.

My contract came to a close and Gary Bollan promised me first team football and a key role in his 3 year plan to take Airdrie to the top flight. I was excited but this didn't come to fruition. I spent a lot of time on the bench then Gary got happy spending some money and I was left out. I ended up getting a lot more involved with coaching and SFA Workshops across Scotland.

afd498281f5b2bb2e5d7e8796c29a250.png

What is crazy is that every year there was play-off heartache. The majority of my league games came in these same games, I did tend to have a decent game but we just couldn't pull it off. My time here ended after a bust-up with Graham Dorrans.

And then we went to Falkirk where I played some football.

8391138ac894459ddd3238ac5bd654dc.png

Here we are now.

3c4063e220c50c4f63b2d34fbef341f7.png

What a waste of a player, while Derek McInnes trusted in me he went off and had a massive amount of success in England while I seemingly rot away in Scottish football. Life after playing will be where I go big, I guess.

Still got days in me yet though and I can still be a big player, in some way!

//

Biggest moments in my career are without a doubt playing in the league decider with Aberdeen, I was the legs to see the game out and Derek wanted me to see what football can be like when it is good.

And it was very good.

However, one moment that I will be remembered for though is when I scored the winning Penalty in the Scottish Cup final. I was at the bottom of a doggy pile, that started with players only, then some fans.. then more fans.

I was on it with the squad for 3 days after that and I enjoyed myself.

More moments to come.. surely.

Potential update coming later, might be the final one regarding the player. Seems as thought I am just doing it for personal enjoyment now anyway with the sheer lack of comments or likes, which is fine. I don't mind but may as well not waste an extra half hour+ putting effort into writing something up!

Potential update coming later, might be the final one regarding the player. Seems as thought I am just doing it for personal enjoyment now anyway with the sheer lack of comments or likes, which is fine. I don't mind but may as well not waste an extra half hour+ putting effort into writing something up!

I have faith Callum is going to be a special manager though if you decide to take him through!

I have faith Callum is going to be a special manager though if you decide to take him through!

Same, think I am going to sim out his manager life too just so he can have some success! Fairly confident he can do something. Simming through right now until hes 32 and thats when his current contract runs to an end and I feel retirement may follow - then management!!

I hope Callum had a better manager career than player one :(

Same, think I am going to sim out his manager life too just so he can have some success! Fairly confident he can do something. Simming through right now until hes 32 and thats when his current contract runs to an end and I feel retirement may follow - then management!!

It would have been so good if McInnes had of taken you with! Oh well, the good thing about this is its just one chapter before moving into management. So your plan is to sim out his management career? I had it in mind I'd use what happened until he retired from playing and took his first job as the basis for my managerial backstory and take over whatever club he ends up taking over will be where I start my manager game at.

It would have been so good if McInnes had of taken you with! Oh well, the good thing about this is its just one chapter before moving into management. So your plan is to sim out his management career? I had it in mind I'd use what happened until he retired from playing and took his first job as the basis for my managerial backstory and take over whatever club he ends up taking over will be where I start my manager game at.

I was going to do the same, but for this one I am really interested in seeing Calum James have his own success, he deserves it!

Yeah, gutted Derek McInnes didn't take me over to West Brom with him to be honest, he gave me football and had them and 2 other English clubs and Celtic interested in me when he was in the Championship with them but injuries must have put them off and now you see where Calum James ended up!

I'm also in Bullardinho's player story and it really seems like injuries is the killer. If you can stay injury free through 16-21 years of age that, to me, seems to have a huge impact on how good you will be.

Just reading all the other player stories really shows me how lucky one of my players was in my own story. I finished simming his career yesterday and he had quite a good one. So many people haven't with their players

Just reading all the other player stories really shows me how lucky one of my players was in my own story. I finished simming his career yesterday and he had quite a good one. So many people haven't with their players

I guess it is all relative. You can look at say Callum's or Charlie's career and think that they haven't had that great a career. Me, I would have given my left nut to have been able to make any kind of career out of playing in real life!!!

I guess it is all relative. You can look at say Callum's or Charlie's career and think that they haven't had that great a career. Me, I would have given my left nut to have been able to make any kind of career out of playing in real life!!!
For sure! I'd not play for any pro clubs! Dunno if I'd be happy with only £14,000 per year though. Hard dollar to live on when you are 30

It's crazy to think that I am now in my 30's. I've said it before but it really just felt like last week when I was 15 at Aberdeen then picked up by Celtic before my-now step-Dad dragged me to America where I played with New York Red Bulls' youth squad and featured in the North American Champions League. I was bigged up in the States and a few Scottish tabloids wrote about me.

America never worked and I made my way back to Aberdeen and did what I could through the injuries and then Derrek McInnes leaving for his huge success in England. 1 year not playing under 1 manager turned into a second.. a third or fourth year not playing under different managers. Then I had my tragic time at Airdrie, which ultimately pushed me down the coaching path.

I had my first time actually REALLY playing at Falkirk before finances meant I had to leave and play with Cowdenbeath. They got promoted into the Scottish Premiership as I got passed on to St. Johnstone, I played regularly in seasons 1 and 2 and now in my third season. It's Christmas time and my agent has sent me 3 emails in 3 days detailing interest from 3 clubs. It's cool to be wanted as I enter my final years playing.

a3b743fcdb8d433998749c56291c0647.png

I can't tell how I feel about my career. I mean I am delighted I had a shot at greatness but things didn't go my way. At the same time, when I am not playing football and only making £14,000.. If I stayed at School went to University and got into Law like I was interested in doing I'd be on over 5x what I make right now.

But at the same time, 15 year old me loved football and I wanted football. And some of my experiences in football have been unbelievable. From throwing hands with Graham Dorrans to scoring the winning penalty in the Scottish Cup final.

I am now desperate to enter the world of management but I still have some playing to do it seems!!

c7142bc7b83a2055bac50dd2b6a0909b.png

*Small update again, just talking about the future of Calum James as he hits 31!!*

@St_Johnstone_FC: Want to say congratulations to @CalumJames58 for him and his fiance for having their first child! #FutureSaintsStar

@CalumJames58: Callum James was born today at 0931 at 8.2oz! Thought we'd give him my name with an additional L! Thanks for the support!

Interesting! Wonder what this may mean in 15 years game time..

@St_Johnstone_FC: Want to say congratulations to @CalumJames58 for him and his fiance for having their first child! #FutureSaintsStar

@CalumJames58: Callum James was born today at 0931 at 8.2oz! Thought we'd give him my name with an additional L! Thanks for the support!

Interesting! Wonder what this may mean in 15 years game time..

Yay! Kid! :D

I assume you'll use the in game editor to add him in? :D