Are footballers overpaid?

Are Footballers Overpaid?

• Yes

Votes: 118 80.8%
  • No

Votes: 28 19.2%

• Total voters
It's only the elite level of footballers who earn a ridiculous wage every week. Once you drop down the divisions it doesn't become such a glamorous profession.

To be fair to them - if they're being offered crazy amounts they're not going to say no are they.

Of course they are overpaid but in fairness to them, I disagree when people say they are being greedy. In life you do what you can to make the most you can. Footballers are humans to and have families and children as well. If you're earning 80K per week, which is a crazy amount and easily enough for you to live off, and someone comes in and says we'll give you 100K per week, nobody in their right mind would say no without a proper valid reason.

At the end of the day, whether they're doing it for the money or just because they love it - football is a job for them. When you're in a job you look to earn as much money as you can. That is what they are doing. If their bosses are stupid enough to give them XYZ thousand a week then that is their boss' problem not theirs.

Yeah that's true.

But when players demand wage rises etc, then it is bad.

I have said No on a majority basis obviously players like Messi Rooney Ronaldo get paid too much but lower league player's don't I'm on a £15 a week contract lol and I don't think thats out of this world:mad:

The majority of people care do they? They're kept up at night by the thought of Rooney making so much? How daft.

They earn a disproportionate amount of money for what they actually do. So do most sports stars... models... actors... People with a talent for something that brings some form of entertainment. ****, even people with no talent at all.

The Kardashian family earned $65mil last year. Do you think any of them run as much as Messi? Unless you want to back a Communist society you'll have to face that people will earn a lot of money and some won't. If you do want to back a Communist society, I've got plenty of leaflets for you.

oO) I don't recall saying "They're kept up at night by the thought of Rooney making so much?" But yes, people DO care.

People with a talent? A doctor who saves the life of a little baby isn't talent? A soldier who fights for his country and risks his life. Talent, bravery?

Football players GET EVERYTHING! They get the nice life style, all the money and they even get in the paper EVERY day just for kicking a ball around.

I don't see a Surgeon on the font paper for saving a life.

This is stupid, football players ARE overpaid for what they do.

Yes, they are. £40 to watch that turgid ***** today. A lot to me, and by that, I mean a weeks wages, but it's ok for the likes of Maurice Edu, he goes home with a ******* 6 grand a week pay packet, and I go home skint and in a depressed and ****** mood. Now, Edu's not to blame for wanting the money, but I'd love it, if they just had a concept of the real world, and went that extra yard to make it worth the £40. Hopefully one day; Fifa will split, football will be played in terraced stadiums with a small ticket price; and footballers will earn a working mans pay packet. We can all dream :S

Yeah that's true.

But when players demand wage rises etc, then it is bad.

I seriously doubt they ever genuinely demand pay rises. I think that's all media nonsense. Rooney for example. He had an offer of 180K per week on the table, handed in a transfer request in August - but it only came out in November. People immediately said that he wanted more money despite him actually handing in the transfer request months before and then 2 days later signed the original contract they had offered him after being given assurances.

People assume things too much without any stone cold proof. Tevez is the same. We all know he's been homesick for a while, and when he says he wants to leave, then changes his mind it's automatically for more money because he's at the richest club in the world.

At least I know there's 4 delusional people on this forum.

How in the world are footballers wages fair?!
Top football clubs make a lot of money, so they pay their most important employees a lot of money.
It's fairly simple.
Some probably are overpaid at clubs that can't afford to actually pay their wages like portsmouth or other clubs where the wage bill is almost as big as the clubs revenue.

not sure if this is true but i heard footballers pay very little tax aswell i heard rooney pays 2% tax on his wage stupid right :O altho tbh not 100% this is true :p
Well that's completely false.
Also for people asking me why I think they're not, as I said, supply and demand.

Last edited:
oO) I don't recall saying "They're kept up at night by the thought of Rooney making so much?" But yes, people DO care.

People with a talent? A doctor who saves the life of a little baby isn't talent? A soldier who fights for his country and risks his life. Talent, bravery?

Football players GET EVERYTHING! They get the nice life style, all the money and they even get in the paper EVERY day just for kicking a ball around.

I don't see a Surgeon on the font paper for saving a life.

This is stupid, football players ARE overpaid for what they do.
Speaking of what we don't recall saying, where did I say I don't think footballers are overpaid? I said I don't care.

If you're particularly annoyed by it, congratulations. There are much worse effects of capitalism to get perturbed about.

Yeah I do understand what people are saying, with the owners having a lot of money.

But then say, when a player is offered a new contract etc, they say "Right, I want 125,000k a week."
You could look at is they're taking advantage of the owners wealth or are just simply greedy?

Overpaid? Yes. End the discussion. The money they are all in (top leagues) is sickening and I deteste it, hence why I dont bother pay silly money to go see them play for 90 minutes.

The question is hardly worth asking. If we had given all players in the world reasonable wage then that money could be used for so much good. But of course, if that was the case, clubs would be very small and hardly no development could be possible. Therefore the sport has turned into a business and the integrity of the sport is gone.

Yeah I do understand what people are saying, with the owners having a lot of money.

But then say, when a player is offered a new contract etc, they say "Right, I want 125,000k a week."
You could look at is they're taking advantage of the owners wealth or are just simply greedy?

But again - if you're at a job and your boss says how much do you want a week you'll start high expecting them to negotiate and you'll hope to get to your coveted amount.

If your boss is stupid enough to say yes straight away without negotiating, then are you going to turn around and say no I don't deserve that much pay me 25K less?

The players are just following the current trend. Agents are probably the main contributors to greedy players as they are trying to get as much money for themselves.

If football makes the money, then the players can be paid the money. Yes, it means overpaid players, but if the sport generates the money because of them then there's no reason not to pay them.

Footballers are only paid this amount of money because we as fans pay to watch on tv and for tickets! If we didnt love the sport so much these men (and to a lower extent women) wouldnt be able to have this one profession. If i am graced with the happiness of watching the likes of Messi, C.Ronaldo and Fabregas pay them whatever is affordable by the club!

No I dont think they are overpaid. We have a capatalist economy, and freedom to spend our money on what we want. We choose to spend our money to watch football, and demand the best possible standard of players in return for this money (be this actual tickets, or TV income). To attract the best players, you have to pay them more. As a couple of people have said, its simple economics and business!

Overpaid? no not really they are worth whatever their employer wishes to pay them not like they are being paid from taxes. They provide a service a service which millions of people buy into therefore they receive the fruits of their labour. Generate thousands of pounds then receive thousands of pounds.

In my opinion a Soldier/Nurse/Whatever deserves a footballers wage when they can score a 40yrd screamer, until then I'm sorry but no.