Never used it from the beginning of a game though. It was always to respond to certain circumstances in the pitch.
Now, I've used it from the beginning against Chelsea in the Capital One Cup. I've to change to the "normal" 4-4-2 and eventually won the game and played much better..

Herne79,

The Brazil tactic is absolutely superb!!! I playing with an old Spurs save and are on an 19 game unbeaten run 15W and 4D.

What I like about it is that it incorrporates every type of play: from DMC to AMC, from Winger to Inside Forward. The goals are shared out equally amongst the team and the defense is ****** solid as a rock.

Well done for the tweak. If anyone can make it better i'll be surprised. I think you've hit the nail on the head with your first attempt!!!

Yeh Spurs are awesome for that tactic, I used them in my initial testing. Jetro Willems will provide excellent cover for Assou-Ekotto, and I recommend investing in Wellington Nem for the IF position, he's brilliant there.

What about possession ? screenshots ?

Possession will depend on who you are playing as. If you play as a top team, expect to always have more possession than your opponents, unless you play another top team away of course.

If you play as a lower team, expect to still have the majority of possession, except against better teams away and top teams at home. If you play as West Brom (for example) don't expect to have more possession against the likes of Man City, but you can expect to win or at least draw.

What screenshots would you like? The only one I have to hand at the moment which shows possession is this one for my Real Madrid team vs Barcelona, using the narrow 4-2-3-1 tweak. Total domination against Barcelona ;).

View attachment 329021

Congrats herne79... do u try this tactic with any lower league team? if you tried,do u made some changes? Ty

Good to see the two tweaked tactics doing well, definitely good as an alternative to the 4-4-2! Can be used by squads that lack the players for the 4-4-2 (i.e. complete forward or M R/L) or by teams with an abudance of AM RLC that are 'too good' to get rid of.

When I start a new game, I will probably train all 3 and rotate between them depending on who I am playing etc.

Congrats herne79... do u try this tactic with any lower league team? if you tried,do u made some changes? Ty
No I havent, however I see no reason why it wouldn't work with lower league team's as seanhrfc's original does.

I could be wrong !

Got promoted from BLue Square North to Championship using my Modern Warfare tweak. Decided to try the 4231 in the Championship as my wingers were pants.

Beautiful..

View attachment 329175

which one is better?

It all depends on your team. If you have some good wingers/inside forwards but not so many decent attacking midfielders, go with the Brazil 1970 tactic. If you a have few decent ACMs but not such good wingers, go with the wingerless 4231.

Got promoted from BLue Square North to Championship using my Modern Warfare tweak. Decided to try the 4231 in the Championship as my wingers were pants.

Beautiful..

View attachment 329175

Wow Altrincham, good job !

Start of 1st season in Prem.

View attachment 329279View attachment 329278

Got offered the Man Utd job but want to see how far I can take this club. Would like a stadium named after me. Currently ground sharing with Wigan as our ground in being increased to a not-so-massive 12,500 seater

Finally got round to giving your Brazil 1970s tactic tweak a bit of a go. Decided to try it with the remainder of my games with my Granada save. 11 Games 8 Wins, 2 Draws, 1 Loss! Not Bad!

View attachment 329320View attachment 329321View attachment 329322

I like the attacking threat and the link play between the front 3, and the DR acts as another winger! Its a little bit better on the offensive side than the 4-4-2, however this is at the expense of the defensive side. Also its not as prolific at creating CCCs, maybe because theres not two strikers in the box to play off each other when the ball is played in from wide. Overall a very good tactic though, well worth a go if you don't have the players for the 4-4-2 / You've got a classy TQ or IF / Just fancy something a bit different.

I'm currently working on an Arsenal 2000s version. I loved Arsenal's team of the early 2000s:

Seaman/Lehmann - commanding goalkeeper.
Lauren & Cole - supporting wing backs.
Campbell - No nonsense stopper
Toure - converted midfielder (BPD)
Gilberto Silva - water carrier of the team (defend duty)
Vieira - real box-to-box, even more licence to get forward into the opposition box!
Pires & Ljungberg: wide midfielders accomplished all round, but a great goal threat by getting into the opp area / cutting inside.
Bergkamp: Your trequartista, really drops deep and dicates the play. Technically gifted and one of the best football brains.
Henry: Advanced forward, drifted out to the left then cut in with purpose.

I've gone more Arsenal: Control, even shorter passing style, even higher tempo/def line and pretty good width. I'm testing it at Fulham with this line-up in mind:

Schwarzer (Seaman), Riether (Lauren), Hangeland (Campbell), Baird (Toure), Riise (Cole), Sidwell (Vieira), Diarra (Gilberto), Duff (Ljungberg), Emmauelson (Pires), Berbatov (Bergkamp), Ruiz (Henry).

Only gone through pre-season but it's looking pretty good!

Its a little bit better on the offensive side than the 4-4-2, however this is at the expense of the defensive side.

Excellent, just like Brazil 1970 ! As I put it earlier: "no World Cup winners before or since have ever conceded more goals during the competition". :)

To be honest though, I think playing with an attacking mentality all the time is probably pushing it a bit, unless you are one of the top teams - toning it down to control may work better on occasion, especially when the match odds are short or against you.

I'm currently working on an Arsenal 2000s version. I loved Arsenal's team of the early 2000s:

Seaman/Lehmann - commanding goalkeeper.
Lauren & Cole - supporting wing backs.
Campbell - No nonsense stopper
Toure - converted midfielder (BPD)
Gilberto Silva - water carrier of the team (defend duty)
Vieira - real box-to-box, even more licence to get forward into the opposition box!
Pires & Ljungberg: wide midfielders accomplished all round, but a great goal threat by getting into the opp area / cutting inside.
Bergkamp: Your trequartista, really drops deep and dicates the play. Technically gifted and one of the best football brains.
Henry: Advanced forward, drifted out to the left then cut in with purpose.

I've gone more Arsenal: Control, even shorter passing style, even higher tempo/def line and pretty good width. I'm testing it at Fulham with this line-up in mind:

Schwarzer (Seaman), Riether (Lauren), Hangeland (Campbell), Baird (Toure), Riise (Cole), Sidwell (Vieira), Diarra (Gilberto), Duff (Ljungberg), Emmauelson (Pires), Berbatov (Bergkamp), Ruiz (Henry).

Only gone through pre-season but it's looking pretty good!

I look forward to lots of 1-0 wins then. Don't forget to set your defender's player instruction and PPM to "keep one arm raised for offside appeals". ;)

Seriously though, a tactic with a decent Bergkamp / Henry attacking line up would be awesome. Not to mention the rest of the incredible Invincibles team from 03-04.

I am tired of play with small teams, after reading and follow this thread. I decide to begin a save with Real Madrid just for fun (H)

I´m gonna use 1970´s Brazil tweak. But I am thinking of mirror the tactic, because I wanna play Ronaldo as IF on the left.

Possession will depend on who you are playing as. If you play as a top team, expect to always have more possession than your opponents, unless you play another top team away of course.

If you play as a lower team, expect to still have the majority of possession, except against better teams away and top teams at home. If you play as West Brom (for example) don't expect to have more possession against the likes of Man City, but you can expect to win or at least draw.

What screenshots would you like? The only one I have to hand at the moment which shows possession is this one for my Real Madrid team vs Barcelona, using the narrow 4-2-3-1 tweak. Total domination against Barcelona ;).

View attachment 329021

Herne79,

Which of the 4231 tactics would you use in cup finals/semi's at (Neutral grounds)?

This made me laugh :)
The W4NKER Bowl... I think it has a good ring to it (6)

In the above game though my name is Mustapha Balls ;)
Do you reckon the 4231 is better than the original 442?

For my current team the 4231 is definitely better because my wingers are pretty poor.

Follow the attribute advice herne gave for the outer AMCs (finishing, dribbling etc) and they will rip it up.

I managed that in FM12, but doubt I will keep a save going on long enough in FM13 to get that.

I played a Man Utd save on FM09 (i think) as Sir Alex Ferguson and got a new 'Sir Alex Ferguson Park' stadium for United - 130,000 seater = my greatest FM accomplishment. Took about 40 seasons and 30-odd Prems and CLs!!