Arsenal V Tottenham - Saturday 20th November 2010

• Thread starter Thread starter CJ
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 221
  • Views Views 13K
Isnt that the crucial point though? the team who take there chances "deserves" the win? Its not in doubt who the better side was, definitely Arsenal was better. But IMO the team who takes its chances and is more clinical deserves the win. Not the team who had the better stats aside from the goals scored column. Its not Arsenal hate, just a bit of heated debate :D

the 'we deserved to win' line is a bit irrelevant in football i think. Many a time have i seen Spurs have most of the chances, possession, and walk away with 1 or 0 points. I might have thought we deserved a win, but it's just a moot point. Unless scandalous ref/cheating decision come into it, then the team who wins 'deserved' to win.

Arsenal can't claim to deserve a win when they throw away a lead so recklessley. We had superior spirit, albeit from a losing, demoralising and awful general play position. we at Spurs are used to this though. Unless at Bolton who spanked us good and proper! n:)

Yes, Arsenal should have put this game to bed, being 2-0 up and totally making us look like a championship team .But deserve to win, no no no. We deserved that win for the spirit we showed. We always fight back, unfortunatley we have to concede goals before we start playing but hey, i am pleased because there are not that many teams with this spirit and character in the league. Above us, probably only Man UTD and sometimes Chelsea show that mentality. We used to just crumble like muffins, so perhaps Arsenal are the new Spurs?

Anyway, unlucky Arsenal, that is 2 games and counting and long may it continue. Now if we could only learn to defend.....Harry needs to get onto the match preparation screen and put 'defensive positioning' up to high. Bring on Werder Bremen!!!!

You defended brilliantly today. Also, unlike Arsenal: we won twice in a row before today..

I see your point, but I still have to disagree. Football, for me, is about the whole game, not just snippets when you get a chance, and score it. For example, I think Aston Villa deserved to beat Utd, but they were unlucky, a brilliant Macheda goal and a Vidic (once again) header got them a point. I think 3-2 is a very harsh scoreline. this wasn't Mourinho's Park the Plane, they went out and we outplayed them for 45 minutes, and much of the second half too.

Agree to disagree then. Unfortunately if you guys continue playing like this, bye bye to cesc (even though i dnt wanna see him go to Barca)

Saturday February 26th 2011 is the rematch

we must win that one

Just going to blank this game out of my memory, we'll go to WHL beat them and hopefully Chelsea will lose today. Man Utd will probably win, but (no offence) I'd rather be chasing Utd than Chelsea.

the 'we deserved to win' line is a bit irrelevant in football i think. Many a time have i seen Spurs have most of the chances, possession, and walk away with 1 or 0 points. I might have thought we deserved a win, but it's just a moot point. Unless scandalous ref/cheating decision come into it, then the team who wins 'deserved' to win.

Arsenal can't claim to deserve a win when they throw away a lead so recklessley. We had superior spirit, albeit from a losing, demoralising and awful general play position. we at Spurs are used to this though. Unless at Bolton who spanked us good and proper! n:)

Don't say it doesn't matter who deserved to win, then say you deserved to...

You showed brilliant character, no one is denying that - I'm simply saying that we were the better team, and in such, deserved to win or at least to not lose.

But yeah, obviously you won and it's the score that matters not the performance. It just makes it all the more painful when you generally play pretty well and end up losing.

I suppose it depends what viewpoint you have. Football is about opinions.

Personally I believe the team that plays the better football and creates the most chances deserves to win, but you are right that the goals scored column matters more at the end of the game. Also you have to say Spurs deserved it in terms of the character showed, as Arsenal looked a defeated team the moment Kaboul scored.

And the Arsenal hate comment wasnt directed at you, should have made it clearer :)

No probs. Its good that people have differing opinions, or else we would all support the same teams, there would be no rivalries and no such thing as debate (OH NO!). Im glad you and joss arent interested in insulting and stuff like that, everything has been purely on topic which is good for debate :D

And yes Spurs are showing strength of character they havent had for the last decade

Agree to disagree then. Unfortunately if you guys continue playing like this, bye bye to cesc (even though i dnt wanna see him go to Barca)

(Y) Glad we've been able to debate this peacefully! I think more specifically, if we continue to play like this, bye bye to the title, and bye bye to Cesc if we don't win anything else.

(Y) Glad we've been able to debate this peacefully! I think more specifically, if we continue to play like this, bye bye to the title, and bye bye to Cesc if we don't win anything else.

i have no interest in making enemies on a forum i only just started to post on and enjoy coming on. I dont think you guys will win anything until Wenger stops this kid **** for awhile and gets some more players of steel and character (particularly in defence). Perhaps losing Cesc would be the wake up call wenger needs?

Btw. Praise for the atmosphere today. Brilliant from both sets of fans.
And a nice touch for two or three of the Spurs players to give their shirts away, as much as I hate the man for being a Spurs player, VDV gave his shirt to a child who had been carried over to the boards by a steward.

Yes i see what you mean, it was a bit hypocritical of me to say deserved win was a moot point.

I think if Barca have the money this summer, Cesc is a dead cert to leave.

I also think that Arsenal need the same players as we do, which is tall, quick, strong central defender who can defend, a tall, quick strong central midfielder who can defend, and a tall, quick, strong striker who can score. But what is the betting that wenger will go and buy another technically gifted weakling?

I am still proud of our win today, amazing result, took revenge of League Cup knockout.
Hopefully we will be writing history now and get in CL next year.
Harry proved he's a speechman, hopefully the strikes will continue and we'll be capable of getting in top 4 constantly in the following years.

Yes i see what you mean, it was a bit hypocritical of me to say deserved win was a moot point.

I think if Barca have the money this summer, Cesc is a dead cert to leave.

I also think that Arsenal need the same players as we do, which is tall, quick, strong central defender who can defend, a tall, quick strong central midfielder who can defend, and a tall, quick, strong striker who can score. But what is the betting that wenger will go and buy another technically gifted weakling?

No worries :)

Yeah, you're probably right. We need a trophy but they've now bought Affelay so i'm not sure whether their interest has died down. (Hopefully) When he isn't at his best, Arsenal never seem to be able to provide the goods without him :'(

We do have a tall, quick strong defender in Djourou, but he's coming back from a long injury, and is likely to struggle. (brilliant vs Everton though). I agree we need a new DM as backup to Song, or an alternative.

We have RVP, who's quite tall, strong, skilful and can score goals, but he's always injured.

Don't see those players in Spurs' team tbh, aside from Huddlestone and maybe Dawson.

Yeah, you're probably right. We need a trophy but they've now bought Affelay so i'm not sure whether their interest has died down. (Hopefully) When he isn't at his best, Arsenal never seem to be able to provide the goods without him :'(

We do have a tall, quick strong defender in Djourou, but he's coming back from a long injury, and is likely to struggle. (brilliant vs Everton though). I agree we need a new DM as backup to Song, or an alternative.

We have RVP, who's quite tall, strong, skilful and can score goals, but he's always injured.

Don't see those players in Spurs' team tbh, aside from Huddlestone and maybe Dawson.

The problem with barcas chase of Cesc is that they feel its a matter of personal pride, they are gonna pursue him even if they dont need him.

A positive is Nasri is finally fulfilling his potential. Arsenal i think just need to buy players who arent so injury prone(something associated with having a team so young and not fully developed, although RVP is a strange case). Arsenals team seems more fit in La Liga and doesnt seem to be able to cope under the strain of the EPLs Physicality as shown by each passing season there physio must be the most overworked in the league due to the fragility of his players.

Im interested to know Joss if you agree with Wengers All youth approach?

The problem with barcas chase of Cesc is that they feel its a matter of personal pride, they are gonna pursue him even if they dont need him.

A positive is Nasri is finally fulfilling his potential. Arsenal i think just need to buy players who arent so injury prone(something associated with having a team so young and not fully developed, although RVP is a strange case). Arsenals team seems more fit in La Liga and doesnt seem to be able to cope under the strain of the EPLs Physicality as shown by each passing season there physio must be the most overworked in the league due to the fragility of his players.

Im interested to know Joss if you agree with Wengers All youth approach?

Will VM.

No, what i meant was that you need the same players that we NEED, imo. We need those 3 archetypel(sp?) players. Obviously you know your squad better than i do, but it seems to cope in the Prem a team needs these qualities, which i don't think either squad has.

If we had strength, pace, height and a goal scorer through the middle of the team, we'd play better against the crappier teams like Wigan and generally be a tighter outfit, and not get spanked by Bolton, who are not so shabby it seems. I don't see that is RVP, sorry! He's made of glass and i don't think he's going to terrorise anyone, even with his technique.

Although Harry does like his athletic black men, as does Wenger, so.....:D

But Wenger has his philiosophy and all that, and probably knows what a team needs more than i

Oh right, I misread your post, thought you were saying you have those players and we need them too if we're going to beat you.

Arsenal defeated Newcastle and spurs in Carling Cup
and they both have defeated Arsenal at their home in the league .

It's for this very reason that currently Arsenal have no chance winning the Premier League (and, relatively little chance winning any other competition come to think of it). We had a 2 goal lead and were looking very comfortable by half time and yet we still managed to lose? Just reminds me of the Wigan v Arsenal fixture last season, though in my opinion this is nowhere near as embarrassing/shocking. When Tottenham got 1 back I had my doubts about our ability to see out the game, and when they scored the equaliser I told my brother that they were going to go on to ****** the winner.

It's tragic that I wasn't at all surprised by this result and I can see further losses like this during the season.

It's for this very reason that currently Arsenal have no chance winning the Premier League (and, relatively little chance winning any other competition come to think of it). We had a 2 goal lead and were looking very comfortable by half time and yet we still managed to lose? Just reminds me of the Wigan v Arsenal fixture last season, though in my opinion this is nowhere near as embarrassing/shocking. When Tottenham got 1 back I had my doubts about our ability to see out the game, and when they scored the equaliser I told my brother that they were going to go on to ****** the winner.

It's tragic that I wasn't at all surprised by this result and I can see further losses like this during the season.

Lies. You said you would score 2-3 more and shatter our hopes of a comeback for good.

Back