Arsene Wenger maintains Arsenal do not need an influx of big-money signings this..

Sulsey

Reaction score
Arsene Wenger maintains Arsenal do not need an influx of big-money signings this summer and that making major changes to his squad would be crazy.

Arsene Wenger maintains Arsenal do not need an influx of big-money signings this summer and that making major changes to his squad would be crazy.

Although the Gunners extended their unbeaten run to 16 Barclays Premier League games following the 3-3 draw at Tottenham, they have won only three of the last nine.

Those missed opportunities have seen Arsenal now slip down to third place behind Chelsea, trailing leaders Manchester Unitedby six points.

And Wenger has again been forced to defend the make-up of his young team.

The Arsenal manager is reported to have £40million available should he wish to improve the squad but Wenger insists major surgery is not necessary.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11670_6890703,00.html

Will he spend it? Should he spend it? If so, on who?

I agree with him. Notice the plural versions of everything, 'signings', 'major changes', 'influx' - all not needed. Maybe lots of 15 year olds, Arsenal style

One very well thought out signing, someone with experience and leadership qualities would sort them out - imo somewhere in defence since Szczesny has shown how good he is.

Really Arsene?? I would say you need 5 new players. A GK,DL,DC,DM and a ST.

Interesting. Why DL? Clichy is fantastic and Gibbs is a good prospect/ good cover. Why DM? Song, Diaby and even Wilshere can sit in that role to name a few.

I would agree on the ST if Bendtner were sold (which seems possible) but until then I'm not sure - RVP and Chamakh are quality, Bendtner is a good backup to the two so if he were to go I'd agree but at the moment I don't see a problem in that area.

I think he needs a CB, a goalkeeper who'll challenge Szczesny, and a striker. Maybe Bojan could go to Arsenal, I wouldn't be surprised, he'd get a good chance there.

Interesting. Why DL? Clichy is fantastic and Gibbs is a good prospect/ good cover. Why DM? Song, Diaby and even Wilshere can sit in that role to name a few.

I would agree on the ST if Bendtner were sold (which seems possible) but until then I'm not sure - RVP and Chamakh are quality, Bendtner is a good backup to the two so if he were to go I'd agree but at the moment I don't see a problem in that area.

Clichy has never really impressed me and although Song has got better Arsenal need a proper destroyer i.e De Jong type player.

Clichy has never really impressed me and although Song has got better Arsenal need a proper destroyer i.e De Jong type player.

Having a holding midfielder like de jong who goes in with crunching tackles doesn't fit in with Arsenal's pretty passing game <)

Or a Vieira! I think a CB to go with TV5 is essential! Watching Everton vs Man U at moment, why not Jagielka?

Or a Vieira! I think a CB to go with TV5 is essential! Watching Everton vs Man U at moment, why not Jagielka?

Jagielka would be too expensive. I think Everton wanted something like £18m for him...

Edit: Diaby was supposed to be the new Vieira... :(

Last edited:

Pahahaa - Are you ******* kidding?

So basically we need a new player in every third of the field?

We are 3rd, not 19th, CJACKO.

Our CBs are generally fine but Squillaci (4th choice) isn't good enough even as cover IMO. To be fair - Utd's 4th choice atm is Jonny Evans who isn't particularly good (or hasn't been this season). Arsenal have a better defensive record than Man U and yet we need a GK, CB and a LB...

Szczesny has been excellent since coming into the team tbh - made the wrong decision against Spurs and obviously the CC final but every keeper makes mistakes.

Our 2 first choice CBs this season have been pretty good IMO. Djourou and Koscielny have formed an excellent partnership between them.

Not sure why we need a new DM.. Maybe cover, but then we have Frimpong who looked excellent in pre-season and Coquelin who's had a season of 1st team football in Ligue 1...

ST - You've not noticed the form of Van Persie I take it.. Or for that matter that we have the most different scorers in the league this season.

Ironically you've missed out the two areas I feel need strengthening - RB cover and left-forward.

Would Expensive Or Established Signings Equal Success And Trophies? | Arsenal Report

Pahahaa - Are you ******* kidding?

So basically we need a new player in every third of the field?

We are 3rd, not 19th, CJACKO.

Our CBs are generally fine but Squillaci (4th choice) isn't good enough even as cover IMO. To be fair - Utd's 4th choice atm is Jonny Evans who isn't particularly good (or hasn't been this season). Arsenal have a better defensive record than Man U and yet we need a GK, CB and a LB...

http://www.arsenalreport.com/2011/0...ablished-signings-equal-success-and-trophies/

Our 4 CBs are better than yours and Arsenal have conceded more than us <)

Arsenal doesn't need a goalkeeper since they don't want to hurt Szczesny's development, who has been fantastic this season. Almunia and Fabianski are good backups.

Arsenal doesn't need a CB because they already have 4 good ones. Squillaci was disappointing this season but he's an experienced, proven player, he'll be better next season. Vermaelen is great, Arsenal haven't lost with Djorou in the side since November, Koscielny is a good number 3. I don't think it would make sense to shell out on a 5th CB.

Arsenal don't need a DM because they have many. Song is great. Diaby has potential and is a good player. Wilshere has been great this season and they don't want to hurt his development. Denilson is criticized too much, he's not bad, he's a capable back-up. They have Ramsey and Eastmond coming through the ranks, and they don't want to slow their development. Could you name an affordable DM they could sign for cheap?

Arsenal doesn't need a winger because they have Nasri, Walcott, Arshavin, Rosicky, etc.

They don't need a striker because RVP is tremendous, look at his scoring rate, and Vela will be there next season. He needs to get playing time. They also have two plan B options in Bendtner and Chamakh. But Arsenal has and will continue to have a 1 striker formation, at least until Fabregas leaves. I think 4 strikers is enough, and it would be imprudent for them to sign an expensive backup.

They missed some very important players this season and were as close as ever to trophies. Next season they'll be more experienced, hungrier, and better (they're not going to let go of anyone, and I think Arshavin will bounce back and have a good season). I think trophies will come soon, they just have to be patient. If you're going to do this the right way and cheaply than it will take a little longer. Chelsea built a team pretty quickly as is ManCity, but that's with unlimited funds. People just have to be patient, it took Barca a long time to get to where they are today, and they went through many terrible seasons and fell out of the top 4. Hasn't happened to Arsenal.

Our 4 CBs are better than yours and Arsenal have conceded more than us <)

Ah yeah - my bad. Utd have a better record after the Sp*rs game.

Point still stands that there aren't many clubs who have a quality 4th choice CB - Obviously we don't but neither do Utd or Chelsea IMO.. People exaggerate how bad our defence is when we've had our 1st choice CB out for the whole season and have been playing our 3rd, and then 4th choice GK.

When we have everyone fit, our defence is fine.

Ah yeah - my bad. Utd have a better record after the Sp*rs game.

Point still stands that there aren't many clubs who have a quality 4th choice CB - Obviously we don't but neither do Utd or Chelsea IMO.. People exaggerate how bad our defence is when we've had our 1st choice CB out for the whole season and have been playing our 3rd, and then 4th choice GK.

Jonny Evans is pretty good even though his progress has declined, plus Ivanovic is probably Chelsea's 4th choice CB so IMO both have good 4th choice CBs.

Jonny Evans is pretty good even though his progress has declined, plus Ivanovic is probably Chelsea's 4th choice CB so IMO both have good 4th choice CBs.

Jonny Evans really isn't that good and has had a poor season.

Ivanovic is a good RB, but isn't such a good CB. Arsenal's problems at the back are exaggerated.

I know your defence is fine. Jonny Evans really isn't that good and has had a poor season.

Ivanovic is a good RB, but isn't such a good CB. Arsenal's problems at the back are exaggerated.

Evans is really good CB. He had **** season but he will improve a lot and showed what he is capable of.

Arsenal defense problems is exaggerated, part of the reason is when under pressure they will bottle often than not. Like many have said some calm head is needed, other than that everything is sorted apart from RB and LB back ups. ( I know you have Gibbs, but i dont know when he has stayed injury free)

I think they need a striker! RVP is a quality player, one of the best in the world IMO, but what if he gets injured again, theres no-one to come in that you could rely on, I rate Bendtnar, but he is very inconsistant.

Evans is really good CB. He had **** season but he will improve a lot and showed what he is capable of.

Arsenal defense problems is exaggerated, part of the reason is when under pressure they will bottle often than not. Like many have said some calm head is needed, other than that everything is sorted apart from RB and LB back ups. ( I know you have Gibbs, but i dont know when he has stayed injury free)

I think Gibbs has lost form because of his injury - he keeps getting injured just as he starts showing his promise which is amazingly frustrating and then when he's fit, he doesn't get match-time because Clichy is first choice (rightly so despite a dip in concentration at times - not helped by lack of support from Arshavin/Nasri at times) and then he can't get 100% fit and doesn't do so well when he does play.. I don't know if that makes sense - what I'm trying to say is that he can never quite get to 100% fitness because he doesn't play enough but is still a very good prospect.

I think we'll sign a RB this summer tbh - we have Carl Jenkinson, a 19 YO who's signing from Charlton at some point (compensation to be agreed) but Eboue *may* be moved on and then we'd definitely go into the market.

Agreed we need to be calmer at the back... I don't think playing with 4 different keepers has helped the CBs though - generally both are very good IMO but I think Djourou loses focus at times and makes key mistakes. It all comes with experience and they'll get better and better.