Arsene Wenger maintains Arsenal do not need an influx of big-money signings this..

Song is definitely the more rounded player

Joss, Calum is right about a poacher being needed, but perhaps not in the way he means. Considering you play a false nine, your finishers are effectively the wide players, and they need to be fairly consistent with the goals, something thats not always happened. you need a wide constant finisher, who will get into the box a lot to finish what RVP and Fab create.

Funny, I remember having a (brief) discussion about this on ArsenalReport.

Walcott has the predatory finishing instinct, he's proved that this season. Nasri's improved too, and Fabregas can bang them in. The problem with Arsenal is the old cliche; they want to walk it in all the time. If they shot more, they'd score more, but as it is they seem obsessed with finding the perfect ball, the perfect run, the perfect goal.

Funny, I remember having a (brief) discussion about this on ArsenalReport.

Walcott has the predatory finishing instinct, he's proved that this season. Nasri's improved too, and Fabregas can bang them in. The problem with Arsenal is the old cliche; they want to walk it in all the time. If they shot more, they'd score more, but as it is they seem obsessed with finding the perfect ball, the perfect run, the perfect goal.

I do think they require one more as cover/rotation, Walcott has certainly got better, nasri is doing ok but why he doesnt shoot from range confuses me because he can bang them in. But yeah, they need to believe more in the first time strike,it's not like they lack the technique or composure for it

Song is definitely the more rounded player

Joss, Calum is right about a poacher being needed, but perhaps not in the way he means. Considering you play a false nine, your finishers are effectively the wide players, and they need to be fairly consistent with the goals, something thats not always happened. you need a wide constant finisher, who will get into the box a lot to finish what RVP and Fab create.

Absolutely spot on IMO.

Walcott is getting better and better but as I said (either in this or the other Arsenal/AW thread) - Arshavin hasn't been consistent enough and I expect we'll look at signing a left-forward in the Summer unless Ryo a) gets a WP and b) looks ready (he's excelled for Feyenoord but obviously a lower standard)

---------- Post added at 11:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:29 PM ----------

I do think they require one more as cover/rotation, Walcott has certainly got better, nasri is doing ok but why he doesnt shoot from range confuses me because he can bang them in. But yeah, they need to believe more in the first time strike,it's not like they lack the technique or composure for it

We were much better at this vs Sp*rs - obviously scored one long(ish) shot and Gomes made 2/3 excellent saves. I think it's just a complacency tbh - they all looked really up for it vs Sp*rs.

shooting from range would actually open up space for you, you have players who are a threat from range, which means if yu were shooting, they would have to close you down, which means pushing up, so either there is a gap between defence and mid for RVP and Fab to exploit, or the whole side pushes up which leaves space in behind for walcott

shooting from range would actually open up space for you, you have players who are a threat from range, which means if yu were shooting, they would have to close you down, which means pushing up, so either there is a gap between defence and mid for RVP and Fab to exploit, or the whole side pushes up which leaves space in behind for walcott

Yeah - we've not done it enough this season. Completely agree - stats to back it up as well but I cba to find them.

Yeah - we've not done it enough this season. Completely agree - stats to back it up as well but I cba to find them.

Only one I can remember is that you have the highest shots on target to total shots taken ratio.

No, wait, found one. Arsenal have taken the fourth least amount of shots outside the box this season, and the most inside the 18 yards box.

Only one I can remember is that you have the highest shots on target to total shots taken ratio.

No, wait, found one. Arsenal have taken the fourth least amount of shots outside the box this season, and the most inside the 18 yards box.

I have better ones somewhere but I'd have to do lots of searching and it would take roughly 12 weeks!

OP fail, sorry guys.

IMO I feel Arsenal need to make three signings.

Out-
Bendtner - I do not rate him at all, IMO he lacks composure and technique and is just awful.
Denilson or Diaby - Too many players to play in this role, with Wilshere playing more and more in this role, one of these is not needed.
Eboue - Has been poor this season and is very much declining.

In-
AML/S - Arshavin is not consistent enough, coming off the bench he has been superb but just doesn't bang in the goals well enough.
ST - Someone that scores goals, would love to see Wenger buy Bojan, but it won't happen.
LB - Clichy is poor defenseively and is only slightly better in attack, Baines would be a superb replacement.
(CB) Perhaps a CB, Hopefully Verma will recover to his full self, who will be superb, but we will have to wait to see how he develops back into a player after being out for so long. Arsenal need a leader.

lol - clearly not a lot of people do judging by the responses..

See im not the only one that thinks you need more players that you think.

OP fail, sorry guys.

IMO I feel Arsenal need to make three signings.

Out-
Bendtner - I do not rate him at all, IMO he lacks composure and technique and is just awful.
Denilson or Diaby - Too many players to play in this role, with Wilshere playing more and more in this role, one of these is not needed.
Eboue - Has been poor this season and is very much declining.

In-
AML/S - Arshavin is not consistent enough, coming off the bench he has been superb but just doesn't bang in the goals well enough.
ST - Someone that scores goals, would love to see Wenger buy Bojan, but it won't happen.
LB - Clichy is poor defenseively and is only slightly better in attack, Baines would be a superb replacement.
(CB) Perhaps a CB, Hopefully Verma will recover to his full self, who will be superb, but we will have to wait to see how he develops back into a player after being out for so long. Arsenal need a leader.

See im not the only one that thinks you need more players that you think.

I didn't say you were the only one. Obviously some people agree with you (although even the one you quoted doesn't suggest we need 5 signings) - just that the majority of people on this thread have said that Arsenal have no need to make 5 signings.

Out I'd like to see players who have nothing to give in terms of competition for 1st team place.

These are:
- Rosicky
- Denilson
- B52
- Almunia
- Eboue
- Maybe Diaby cos he's good on times, but the bad days outweight the good ones. Not going to fulfill his potential.
In:
- Hazard to replace Rosicky
- Van Bommel to replace Denilson. Short term replacement to give experience and steel for side. Frimpong will take over later on.
- Vela will be given chance to prove himself next year. Nic has had his chance and just is not good enought. Chamakh will be more accustomed to premier next season and will be better.
- Davide Santon or Sime Vrsjalko to replace Eboue.
- Stekelenburg to replace Almunia. Szczesny is great prospect, but if we are to challenge for Champions League and Prem title we need more experienced GK. He has already said that he'll be looking to leave in summer and said that if we go after him he'll sign for us.

4 signings. No massive fees needed for any of them.

Out I'd like to see players who have nothing to give in terms of competition for 1st team place.

These are:
- Rosicky
- Denilson
- B52
- Almunia
- Eboue
- Maybe Diaby cos he's good on times, but the bad days outweight the good ones. Not going to fulfill his potential.
In:
- Hazard to replace Rosicky
- Van Bommel to replace Denilson. Short term replacement to give experience and steel for side. Frimpong will take over later on.
- Vela will be given chance to prove himself next year. Nic has had his chance and just is not good enought. Chamakh will be more accustomed to premier next season and will be better.
- Davide Santon or Sime Vrsjalko to replace Eboue.
- Stekelenburg to replace Almunia. Szczesny is great prospect, but if we are to challenge for Champions League and Prem title we need more experienced GK. He has already said that he'll be looking to leave in summer and said that if we go after him he'll sign for us.

4 signings. No massive fees needed for any of them.

Well Hazard would cost you 30mill + and Steklenburg would easily cost you 10mill+

Hazard would cost about 16-20m. Hazard said earlier that he's looking to leave after this season. Lille know they cant keep him and they want big money for him and 20m tranfer in France is big. Remember Bastos who transferred to Lyon from Lille for 17m and he at time was better than Hazard is currently.

Stekelenburg has 1 year left in his contract, but 10m sounds pretty much right. Those two signings would be easily covered by outgoing players.

First of all i dont see how Chelsea are in a worse position at all. But its my opinion simple as that, Arsenal have a problem with keepers and that bloke might become a brilliant keeper but Arsenal need to win things now they have waited too long. And like i say although Song has improved no way is he good enough for a top side like Arsenal.
Most of your players are 25-35 years old now, and that's not really good enough for a top side. You need a side around 20-30, not 5 years older.

I made my points did i not?? Song is not a destroyer and when did i say Mikel was better?? Do you really think Chelsea would have spend 70+million if they knew they wouldnt be able to play in the CL?? They either have somthing in the pipeline either a sponsorship deal or they have a loophole in the rule (lets be honest its Uefa so there is proberly one). Every year the same Chelsea's players are old comes out and every year we prove the critics wrong. I wouldnt say Lampard is our key player either, i would say Cech, Cole, Terry, Lampard and Drogba are our key players.

And as i said i made my points:
GK: Szczenedy(sp) could very well become a world class keeper but Arsenal need a proven keeper and have done for years.
DL: Clichy dosent offer enough both attackinly and defensivly for me, he is caught out too many times
DC: Someone to back up Djourou and Vermalen or even better than one of them.
DM: Song has improved but no way is he good enough for a top side like Arsenal
ST: Van Persie is excellent but is made of paper, both Chamakh and Bendtner are useless and they need another proven goalscorer.

Is that good enough for you?
All the key players you named are nearly 30 or older than 30. Also, Chamakh is not useless, he is good on a free and if played correctly, can be a threat.

Any more opinions after today's game?

---------- Post added at 08:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:16 PM ----------

Hazard would cost about 16-20m. Hazard said earlier that he's looking to leave after this season. Lille know they cant keep him and they want big money for him and 20m tranfer in France is big. Remember Bastos who transferred to Lyon from Lille for 17m and he at time was better than Hazard is currently.

Stekelenburg has 1 year left in his contract, but 10m sounds pretty much right. Those two signings would be easily covered by outgoing players.

Would love to see Hazard at Arsenal, although i don't think it will happen.

Most of your players are 25-35 years old now, and that's not really good enough for a top side. You need a side around 20-30, not 5 years older.

All the key players you named are nearly 30 or older than 30. Also, Chamakh is not useless, he is good on a free and if played correctly, can be a threat.

Whats your points? Ryan Giggs was 30 7 years ago? Chelsea have some of the staff that worked in the famous Milan lab so whoes to say Drogba and Lampard cant go on for another 3-4 years? Also Cech is only 28 and we have potential key players coming through in Luiz, Ivanovic, Mikel, Ramires, Sturridge and many more.

---------- Post added at 08:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:42 PM ----------

Heard from a few French jounelists that Hazard when he goes will cost 30mill+. Lille are in the CL next season so they dont have to sell if they dont want too. They are also moving to a new 50 thousand seater stadium which they didnt pay a penny for so they are doing very well financialy.

i believe arsenal need a new centre back as i think koscielny and djouro arent consistent enough who knows what the verminator will be like. arsenal should spend on g cahil he played great against us. a keeper should go and one come in preferably stelkenburg experience and reliable sczezsny needs a gk to learn off. as far as im concered we dont need another striker we should sell bednter. a player like mueller would bolster our mid if wilshere dropped to dm because he can play there.