Arteta would consider England

No, just a big no. He's not English. Just no :mad:
Agreed. I'd be more for it if he was raised in England as a child or had English parents, but he doesn't...so to me I don't like the idea of it. It wouldn't feel like England.

Edit - Ozil was born in Germany btw.

All these Germans or otherwise decided at a young age they would represent Germany, Mikel Arteta if he would have been good enough would have already been capped for Spain and this scenario would not exist.

All these Germans or otherwise decided at a young age they would represent Germany, Mikel Arteta if he would have been good enough would have already been capped for Spain and this scenario would not exist.

thats not that fair though because he cant choose the year he was born, its unfortunate for him that he is around when spain are at there best they have ever been thats why he cant get in the squad.

thats not that fair though because he cant choose the year he was born, its unfortunate for him that he is around when spain are at there best they have ever been thats why he cant get in the squad.

Not really, Spain didnt get past the Group stages of Euro 2004, so couldnt have been brilliant then, and went out in the 2nd round at the 2006 world cup. But I will give you the fact that they have been the best since.

However he has been around for a few years now, and you would have thought if they felt he was good enough he would have picked up at least 1 cap along the way

Not really, Spain didnt get past the Group stages of Euro 2004, so couldnt have been brilliant then, and went out in the 2nd round at the 2006 world cup. But I will give you the fact that they have been the best since.

However he has been around for a few years now, and you would have thought if they felt he was good enough he would have picked up at least 1 cap along the way

he wasent at Everton while Spain were trying to qualify for euro2004 and his best years have been while he has been at Everton. Spain have Xavi, Iniesta, Fabregas, Busquets, Xavi Alonso currently all better than him. thats why he dosen't get in the squad.

Last edited:
Just thought i'd clear up a few points i glanced over in this thread:

- Mesut Özil (born 15 October 1988 in Gelsenkirchen (Which is in Germany) )is a German footballer of Turkish decent who recently signed with Real Madrid and plays internationally for the German national team.

- The 'foreign' members of the Germany side were Peter Trochowski, Miroslav Klose (both Polish) and Cacau (Brazilian) are all i can think of.

- Owen Lee Hargreaves (born 20 January 1981) is a footballer who plays as a midfielder for Manchester United and the England national team. Born in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, Hargreaves played with Calgary Foothills as a youth before beginning his professional football career in Germany with Bayern Munich.

Hargreaves is technically Canadian and is also elegible for Germany but has 42 England caps and no-one moans about this.

So what's the big deal about Arteta being Spanish? I'd welcome him into the team, atleast give him a chance in a friendly anyway. If he can improve the squad then what's it matter where he was born?

Have the home nations not got an agreement not to pick players that are not British

---------- Post added at 10:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:42 PM ----------

If memory serves me correct thats why Novo isn't picked for Scotland

timmsy123 - Padolski is also Polish, isnt he?

Fair enough if the home nations have some sort of agreement, but it does seem a bit silly if it has a detrimental affect on the countries national teams. Although England would just rape Wales of all their talent, maybe if the rule was only for players who are not of a home nation country?

Agreed. I'd be more for it if he was raised in England as a child or had English parents, but he doesn't...so to me I don't like the idea of it. It wouldn't feel like England.

Edit - Ozil was born in Germany btw.

nobody gave a **** about Hargreaves raised in Canada/Germany

I say let Arteta play

If the home nations had an agreement we wouldn't have picked Hargreaves...

timmsy123 - Padolski is also Polish, isnt he?

Fair enough if the home nations have some sort of agreement, but it does seem a bit silly if it has a detrimental affect on the countries national teams. Although England would just rape Wales of all their talent, maybe if the rule was only for players who are not of a home nation country?

I knew i'd missed one, yes he was also born in Poland.

Just thought i'd clear up a few points i glanced over in this thread:

- Mesut Özil (born 15 October 1988 in Gelsenkirchen (Which is in Germany) )is a German footballer of Turkish decent who recently signed with Real Madrid and plays internationally for the German national team.

- The 'foreign' members of the Germany side were Peter Trochowski, Miroslav Klose (both Polish) and Cacau (Brazilian) are all i can think of.

- Owen Lee Hargreaves (born 20 January 1981) is a footballer who plays as a midfielder for Manchester United and the England national team. Born in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, Hargreaves played with Calgary Foothills as a youth before beginning his professional football career in Germany with Bayern Munich.

Hargreaves is technically Canadian and is also elegible for Germany but has 42 England caps and no-one moans about this.

So what's the big deal about Arteta being Spanish? I'd welcome him into the team, atleast give him a chance in a friendly anyway. If he can improve the squad then what's it matter where he was born?

what about jerome boateng and that odonkor(sp), sinkiewicz...

has hargreeves not got British parents or grandparents?

i think its abit sad that England want someone with no English blood

I love Novo but wouldn't want him in a Scotland shirt!!!!!!

As an Everton fan I would love to see Arteta playing for my home country, but at the end of the day it's an England squad and it would be a bit weird having a Spanish player in it who has no English relatives...

Read my signature ;)

don't see many croatians being too pround too have eduardo

no english blood line doesn't bother me, if you've played in england for 5 years and gained nationallity then you've earned it

other countries don't have a problem with doing this sort of thing so why should we?

what about jerome boateng and that odonkor(sp), sinkiewicz...

- Jérôme Agyenim Boateng (German pronunciation: [ʒeˈʁoːm bo.aˈtɛŋ]; born 3 September 1988 in Berlin-Wilmersdorf) is a German international footballer who currently plays for Manchester City.

- David Odonkor (born 21 February 1984 in Bünde, West Germany) is a German footballer who currently plays for Real Betis. Born to a German mother and a Ghanaian father, he usually plays as a right winger.

- Sinkiewicz was born in Poland, but i was only referring to members of the World Cup squad sorry if i missed any,

I would take him in a heartbeat absolutely any day.

don't see many croatians being too pround too have eduardo

no english blood line doesn't bother me, if you've played in england for 5 years and gained nationallity then you've earned it

other countries don't have a problem with doing this sort of thing so why should we?

What happens if England play Spain will Arteta play his heart out against his own country

capello is allowed to be the manager and he doesn't hold english nationallity yet arteta will soon so therefore arteta would have more right to be involved with england than capello

---------- Post added at 12:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:12 AM ----------

What happens if England play Spain will Arteta play his heart out against his own country

i doubt this would be a problem, you want to do well for the team you play for regardless of how you feel...

phil neville doesn't give man utd an easy ride yet he loves united and always will - and he doesn't pull out of 50/50 challenges against gary just cos of brotherly love

I'm sure he's noble and wise enough to play his heart out against his country, to show them what they missed.