Arteta would consider England

I watched him many a time playing for The Rangers and a great talent he is............. but he's Spanish.
England shouldn't stoop so low as to even talk about this never mind consider.

He was plucked from near obscurity by The Rangers so with British nationality ... Scotland have first pick :)
after all... his great, great grandmother twice removed... was a Scot !

Just like Craig Levein stooped so low to convince Andrew Driver to change his allegiance from England to Scotland. Think about what you're saying before you post.

Really there is no harm in including him in the scheme of things is there...he is a good player so obviously he cant make our National Team worse can he?

we are too old fashioned simple as that, times are changing in football we need to take whoever we can but only if it will imrpove our squad and arteta will simple as that.

Scotland manager Craig Levein does not believe Everton midfielder Mikel Arteta is eligible for his side, or England. The Spanish former Rangers star qualifies for UK citizenship, having lived in England since 2005, and has said he would consider a call-up.
However, Levein said: "As far as I'm aware, the rules are that he has to be educated (in UK) for five years. The home associations have an agreement."
Levein went on to say that he would like those eligibility rules changed.
"I want the rules for Scotland to be the same as everywhere else in the world," added the former Dundee United boss.
o.gif

We wrote to every agent in England asking them to let us know if any of their players had Scottish parents or grandparents or were born in Scotland
Craig Levein

"I have no objections if people qualify, I will play them. My job is not to look at where these guys come from, my job is to try to win football matches.
"If anybody is available and I think they will do a job for the team, I will pick them."
A gentleman's agreement among the Home Nations specifies that to qualify for an international call-up you must either have been born in the country, have a parent or grandparent born in the country or have spent five years in education in the country before the age of 18.
In June, the wording of the agreement was altered to "engaged in a minimum of five years' education under the age of 18 within the territory of the relevant association", which allows Scotland to pick Hearts' English-born winger Andrew Driver.
When asked about the possibility of approaching Arteta, 28, Levein said: "I'm sure (Everton manager) David Moyes has given him a good footballing education but I don't think that counts.
_48921360_3966767.jpg
Blackpool keeper Matt Gilks is with Scotland for the first time

"Andrew Driver had to qualify and he stayed in Scotland for 10 years. He is eligible for two countries, England and Scotland, the Scotland one because of his five years of continuous education.
"As far as I'm aware, Mikel Arteta cannot play for England."
For the forthcoming European Championship qualifying double-header against Lithuania and Lichtenstein Levein has handed a first-call up to Blackpool goalkeeper Matt Gilks, who qualifies through a Scottish grandparent
And Levein insists he will continue to cast his net far and wide in the search for players who will improve his squad.
"We wrote to every agent in England asking them to let us know if any of their players had Scottish parents or grandparents or were born in Scotland," he revealed.
"We had some responses, Matt being one of those. Most of the other boys we've had have been younger players. I'm sure there are other players we haven't discovered and we will keep trying.
"In all honesty, I don't think Matt will be involved but I'd like to get him in and let him experience the international arena and train with the guys."

"We wrote to every agent in England asking them to let us know if any of their players had Scottish parents or grandparents or were born in Scotland

Wow, slightly desperate? I know ireland like to steal other players but usually only if they would be good enough for us. It shows how much confidence he has in the current scotland squad and the youth that they are taking though.

Last edited:
He's a very good player there is no doubt about that but he has been out of form in our last couple of games and with Gerrard, Lampard, Barry, Carrick and Joe Cole aswell as Rodwell and Wilshere coming through is he really needed? I also think he will be used as a scapegoat and ruined by the media whenever we lose and he's had a bad game because he is foreign.

FA believes Arteta is ineligible for England

The FA believes Mikel Arteta will not be eligible to represent England despite spending five years in the country.

FULL ARTICLE

Thoughts??

I personally think it is unfair, as Arteta would probably get in the squad of most nations, and would certainly give England a very good option.

wouldnt want him to any way as much as i would like him to as he wasnt born in this country and would be unfair on people like phillips and milner young ect.

he cant get called up anyway as it breaks the rules of the home nations agreement, as scotland wanted Andy Driver but couldnt get because of that rule. Only the non-brits who were schooled for 5 years in that country can get cappped by the country their living in.

So if Arteta was schooled in England for 5 years he could get called up

thats the rules we get on with it.(yes it would be good becuase he is a quality player but he repesented his country like anyother player fair enough .

The FA can go suck a ****.

he cant get called up anyway as it breaks the rules of the home nations agreement, as scotland wanted Andy Driver but couldnt get because of that rule. Only the non-brits who were schooled for 5 years in that country can get cappped by the country their living in.

So if Arteta was schooled in England for 5 years he could get called up

read that ;)

We have foreign managers so why not a Foreign player.
:S

To be fair i dont see why the FA are getting the blame for this its Fifas rules that make him ineligible.

Why do those rules apply, whilst other countires such as Germany can call up 'foreigners' to their squads. Ozil is Turkish, and a number of the French players are from African countries.

i would welcome Arteta any day of the week.

---------- Post added at 07:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:41 PM ----------

Why do those rules apply, whilst other countires such as Germany can call up 'foreigners' to their squads. Ozil is Turkish, and a number of the French players are from African countries.

i agree that we should have Arteta but Ozil was born in Germany thats why.

I dont know Craig Levien Scotland Manager wants it changed