Arteta would consider England

No, not for me. Very good player but the lad is Spanish, not English. Just because he has played for Everton for a few years doesn't mean he is English. Yeah I know he has the right to play for us but it just wouldn't be right.

Deco, Senna, Camonaresi, Trezeguet, Pepe, Zidane, Makelele, Desailly, Podolski, Klose etc are very good examples of naturalized players. Each of them are/were important assets to their national team too.

Victor Moses is borned in Nigeria too, but he had already represented England at every youth level.

I don't know about the Home Nations rule as I'm not an English but I'm sure that if this happens, other countries wouldn't be bothering too much about it (maybe except the Home Nations).

I will welcome him with open arms,I am not saying that if he comes in the team he will make us much better but atleast he will offer an alternative if Lampard/Gerrard are injured

I would really re-consider my England Loyalties and support if we started taking any tom **** and harry into the side, He was born in SPain, He has Spanish parents, He has spanish Grand Parents, He moved here 5 years ago not 25 years ago. He was schooled in spain. SO he is ******* Spanish, Just becuase he cant get in there side, Why should we take him on.

I wonder where France would of been in 1998 without Patrick Vieira, Marcel Desailly, Lillian Thuram and the awesome Christian Karembeu.

I could understand people not wanting Arteta/Almunia to play for England, but what difference is there between someone who has lived here for 5 years and someone who simply has English lineage and never lived in the country?

If we win with him in the team, we'll be accused of cheating.

Isn't Podolski (sp?) Polish?
and Cacau was african of some sort, along with germany's left back.

if they're committed and want to play, I don't see the problem.

I would love to see him in the centre with gerrard.

I'd welcome him with very open arms.

Isn't Podolski (sp?) Polish?
and Cacau was african of some sort, along with germany's left back.

if they're committed and want to play, I don't see the problem.

I would love to see him in the centre with gerrard.

Cacau is originally Brazilian.

Id love to see Arteta play for England purely for the fact it would improve the side, i dont think it is right that people who were born in a different country should be able to play for different national teams however other teams and players have done it to great effect so why shouldnt we.

Cacau is originally Brazilian.

I covered all of this on page 3 if you look :) just like Desailly is technically Ghanaian and many of the French team Senegalese etc.

That home nations rule is also a load of bull, Craig Levein has been searching high and low for any tom **** or harry with an ounce of Scottish blood. He also asked Andrew Driver (English winger plays for Hearts) to play for Scotland.

And a lot of Englishmen play for Wales, Sam Vokes, Hal Robson Kanu, Jack Collison and recently Millwall's Steve Morison to name but a few.

Last edited:
^^^
i think my opinions on this matter are very clear (H)
<<<<<

not sure i like the idea really. how would you feel if you were Wilshire/ Rodwell or the like. it should be they who are putting pressure on the first team and aiming to progress and be our future. instead they are spectacularly discarded to make room for a spaniard.

call me mental, but i just dont think its right really. imagine for a second you went to play football in Spain. just because you were playing in that country would that make you feel the slightest bit Spanish? certainly i would feel as English as ever, and would find it weird playing alongside 23 other Spanish players who are actually from Spain. im trying to make my point without waffling here, which is proving harder than i expected, but i think most people will understand what im trying to say

not sure i like the idea really. how would you feel if you were Wilshire/ Rodwell or the like. it should be they who are putting pressure on the first team and aiming to progress and be our future. instead they are spectacularly discarded to make room for a spaniard.

call me mental, but i just dont think its right really. imagine for a second you went to play football in Spain. just because you were playing in that country would that make you feel the slightest bit Spanish? certainly i would feel as English as ever, and would find it weird playing alongside 23 other Spanish players who are actually from Spain. im trying to make my point without waffling here, which is proving harder than i expected, but i think most people will understand what im trying to say

if i lived/worked in spain for 5 years then i would feel spanish yes, i would have been living their lifestyle for long enough to feel at home - look, i've lived with my girlf for just 4 years but it feels a lot longer (not in a bad way:p) and its hard to imagine living a different way, i think its a similar thing - you adapt to your surroundings and make them your own and soon you forget how you used to live

Those 2 players need to break into and for Rodwells' case, cement there first team place for Arsenal and Everton before they can be really considered for England.....imo Wilshere needs a few seasons to continue his learning. Arteta would be a solution for the next 2-4 years and by then hopefully those 2 and others would be regulars at club level,knocking on the door for the England 1st 11.
Cattermole got mentioned in a earlier post, he needs to mature and control his aggression. Not just the 1st game of this season, but he is too reckless imo

Lampard should be the 1 to step aside for me, whether for Arteta or some 1 else

Also, if it meant England winning a W.Cup or the Euros, I wouldn't care if it were a Scottish born,Argentinian born or Iraqi that got us the winning goal

Last edited:
I watched him many a time playing for The Rangers and a great talent he is............. but he's Spanish.
England shouldn't stoop so low as to even talk about this never mind consider.

He was plucked from near obscurity by The Rangers so with British nationality ... Scotland have first pick :)
after all... his great, great grandmother twice removed... was a Scot !

It does not matter where the player is from, many of the English first team are English because they were born in England. It's pretty obvious that Carlton Cole is not English, Agbonlahor is actually a Nigerian and Scottish. Ashley Cole is from Barbabados through his Father. It's beside the point that their half-english. Some are British by residency, just as Mikel Arteta

Last edited:
Why dont take Almunia in as well. that would solve there goalkeeper problem? lol :p

I'm 100% sure we had this situation with carlo cudicini a few years before chelsea signed petr cech, except we tried calling him up but he denied it because he would only play for his home country. This shows that England are willing to call up foreigners, or were back then, so the home nations thing isn't really valid.

I've thought for many years that Arteta deserves to play with the spanish national team, even though the excelent midfield we have. Even more, he deserved even before Xavi, Iniesta & co climax, so I don't understand we he hasn't be called by any manager.

I think it would be great for England. And if he is happy, good for him.