Ask uncle MAD (Uncle MAD's box of choccys)

Fair enough, I'm working on an LFC save right now and i'm doing pretty well and I managed to get Suarez scoring quite a lot. Its just that i'm finding it hard to nullify that formation, they normally say its best to play the same formation if your team is better and let them out perform the opposition but doesn't really work. a 4-5-1 with the wingers deeper could work. its the same one Ancelotti uses for madrid right now

Yes - its the only formation that Im annoyed to play against as there is no obvious way to counter it. What about having your wingers man mark their fbs/wbs. This way the IFs will cut inside and there will be no overlaps (at least in theory).

Yes - its the only formation that Im annoyed to play against as there is no obvious way to counter it. What about having your wingers man mark their fbs/wbs. This way the IFs will cut inside and there will be no overlaps (at least in theory).
I do that normally and it works pretty well. I found that using a wide 4-2-3-1 where your wingers mark the fbs reduce the space used and block the midfield from passing wide. Allowing your CAM and ST to press the CBs and force mistakes. thats always worth a try.

I do that normally and it works pretty well. I found that using a wide 4-2-3-1 where your wingers mark the fbs reduce the space used and block the midfield from passing wide. Allowing your CAM and ST to press the CBs and force mistakes. thats always worth a try.

Yes, thats what I sometimes do.

But I ve got issues with using a 4231. The "deep" version means there is too much space between def/mf and am/attack whereas the one with the dms higher up offers no cover to the cbs. So I usually use "half" of it - eg the left side of my formation looks like a 442 and the right one looks like a 4231. This enables me to use one dm/dlp/am in front of cbs and one am/ap higher up. Against the specific 451 I instruct my left winger to man mark the fb and change my right wb attack into fb defend. I take away my push higher up team instruction and use the dlp to man mark their best creative mfer . Tackle hard less brave cb and close down always gk.

BTW: WOW! More than 10k views! GOOD ONE PEOPLE!!!

Awesome info MAD it has certainly helped improve my gameplay.

What's your recommendations for PPMs on DLP(D)?

I've been experimenting a AP [A], CM and DLP [D] combination to mirror the Real Madrid way of playing.

Struggling to find any consistency... Koke is rated 3.5 stars, Ramsey rated 1star (I thought it was because of his PPM till I changed them in editor in a different test save and it didn't make a difference). Then I improve his aggression and some other mental stats and he went to 4 star immediately. Even though aggression isn't listed, does this impact on the role of a DLP (d) for example? And therefor does that mean other positions/roles are impact similarly?

I'd also like to know why SI are so **** opposed to deep-lying midfielders who can tackle/mark? There are none. They all have stupid PPMs which contract their defensive strengths. If they're trying to say that the defending in the world is not of a good standard... cool... but then at least give us, the users, the ability to change that. As I find both learning and unlearning PPM's really difficult unless it's blatantly obvious and allows for no flexibility.

All in my experience, in my opinion, YMMV, etc. of course to all reading.

Last edited:
What's your recommendations for PPMs on DLP(D)?

I've been experimenting a AP [A], CM and DLP [D] combination to mirror the Real Madrid way of playing..

Well, my interest (and therefore knowledge) of PPMs is very limited as, other than fbs/wbs (and them only sometimes) I like my players to be able to play in at least 3 positions, I always save 3 very different formations and I change them at least a bit every season. So I cannot use PPMs. I only give PPMs to fbs/wbs - run down left + run down right (all my fbs/wbs must learn to play on either flank) + knock ball past opponent + and get forward often. So no idea.

Your set up is very similar to what I usually use. Only difference is that I prefer BWM (s) rather than cm.

Struggling to find any consistency... Koke is rated 3.5 stars, Ramsey rated 1star (I thought it was because of his PPM till I changed them in editor in a different test save and it didn't make a difference). Then I improve his aggression and some other mental stats and he went to 4 star immediately. Even though aggression isn't listed, does this impact on the role of a DLP (d) for example? And therefor does that mean other positions/roles are impact similarly?

1. Forget the star ratings they are not helpful. Look at the individual stats esp those for the particular position.
2. Aggression impacting on DLP (d) sounds reasonable (esp on the d part!)
3. Therefore its reasonable also to expect other improvements to impact. Tho I dont know for certain.
4. Its all related to individual training (and tutoring).
5. Id advise you to look at CLEON's AJAX article on SI FORUMS linked above as he knows this area much more than anybody really.

I'd also like to know why SI are so **** opposed to deep-lying midfielders who can tackle/mark? There are none. They all have stupid PPMs which contract their defensive strengths. If they're trying to say that the defending in the world is not of a good standard... cool... but then at least give us, the users, the ability to change that. As I find both learning and unlearning PPM's really difficult unless it's blatantly obvious and allows for no flexibility.

Ah well, you re right of course but Im not that specific and Ive never suffered. What I mean is that I dont necessarily care about the ability of a player in stars to play a particular role. As with other things I look at individual stats. The way I see it DLP (d) is a glorified anchor man with reasonable technique (esp passing). I sometimes even give him instructions to pass short to limit impact of technical insufficiencies. So if a dlp has good tackling and marking and his other stats are decent then he's used.

People like the following have done well for me in the position:

Gas Gil Romero (tho I prefer him in BWM s)
Lucas Romero (ditto)
Jorge Rodriguez
Guido Pizarro
Stefan Strandberg
Kara
Tin Jedvai

All in my experience, in my opinion, YMMV, etc. of course to all reading.

Sorry, do not understand a word of the above!!!

Big shout out to Mathieu Valbuena btw guys. That guy is world class for me on my LFC save. He plays numerous positions on the field and performs in every single position. Make him learn to play one-twos and watch how he racks up assists. I literally sometimes think he's the only player in FM who ACTUALLY passes the ball across the box when one-on-one with the keeper. It's crazy

Big shout out to Mathieu Valbuena btw guys. That guy is world class for me on my LFC save. He plays numerous positions on the field and performs in every single position. Make him learn to play one-twos and watch how he racks up assists. I literally sometimes think he's the only player in FM who ACTUALLY passes the ball across the box when one-on-one with the keeper. It's crazy

Ok! He annoys the **** out of me IRL tho.

Ok! He annoys the **** out of me IRL tho.
Why do you say that?? And any advice on ball playing center back with champions league quality? N'Kolou or whatever his name is was signed by Arsenal and I'm looking at Varane for the summer. Any suggestions?

Why do you say that?? And any advice on ball playing center back with champions league quality? N'Kolou or whatever his name is was signed by Arsenal and I'm looking at Varane for the summer. Any suggestions?

If he's good ill use him on FM but really I cant stand him. All huffing and puffing and dribbling and stuff and no end product.

ELIAQUIM MANGALA?

If he's good ill use him on FM but really I cant stand him. All huffing and puffing and dribbling and stuff and no end product.

ELIAQUIM MANGALA?

Is Mangala really that reliable in defence????? His stats don't suggest so. And he's amazing, He just scored a last minute winner for me against Arsenal when i was getting dominated the entire match.

Hey, sorry to bother you, but I know you know a lot about this game. I have a problem with my DoF, I can't make him accept/reject offers. How do I do this? I leave a SS of how I have set the responsabilities. Thanks in advance.

View attachment 370448

Is Mangala really that reliable in defence????? His stats don't suggest so. And he's amazing, He just scored a last minute winner for me against Arsenal when i was getting dominated the entire match.

Dunno mate, never used him. What about Doria/Papadopoulos/Papastathopoulos?

Hey, sorry to bother you, but I know you know a lot about this game. I have a problem with my DoF, I can't make him accept/reject offers. How do I do this? I leave a SS of how I have set the responsabilities. Thanks in advance.

No bother mate. I dunno why it doesnt work for you as your responsibilities set up looks ok.

I never see this guy mentioned but he s simply awesome. Shouldnt be too expensive to buy either (i dunno as i play as Ajax where he starts). Im talking about STEFANO DENSWIL. A bit of a rock at CB he s young and will improve if trained correctly and tutored).

Also in 4 seasons for me he s yet to miss a penalty!

The staff posts have been updated with more names ...

A word on tactics. if you find yourself losing the midfield battle, how would you impose yourself on the game?

A word on tactics. if you find yourself losing the midfield battle, how would you impose yourself on the game?

Depends if the opposition is better/equal/worse than me.

1. I usually use 1 plug and play tactic that Ive downloaded, another dounloaded tactic (tweaked by me) and my own unbalanced 442. If I start with one of the downloaded tactics the first thing Ill try to do is change tactics to the other downloaded one for about 10 minutes. If still cant impose myself Ill try my own unbalanced 442 which is "designed" to use OIs and follow Assman's instructions in match.

2. But the above doesnt help you or anyone as its not a real answer to your question. So Ill try to give you another:

(a) Equal/worse opponent: Ill push higher up the field and try to be more aggressive. The idea is to press opponents and not let them be comfortable on the ball. passion4fm in his excellent site (linked in previous posts) for FM13 had an excellent article on pressing/regaining possession. Ive read and assimilated that into what I do. I even have a set of team instructions saved called Win Back Possession for this purpose. This is obviously risky as the opponent may get behind you. I use more direct and wider and I even instruct specific players to tackle harder. I may even man mark opposition cms or tweak formation to add bodies in mf. My wbs/fbs may even get instructions to stay put (eg defend duty).

(b) Opposition better. I basically dont worry that much about not seeing more of the ball, try to be compact and keep my shape (weirdly drop deeper is not that messed up by using hassle and get stuck in). I never use counter on FM14 cos for the life of me I cant make it work.

Depends if the opposition is better/equal/worse than me.

1. I usually use 1 plug and play tactic that Ive downloaded, another dounloaded tactic (tweaked by me) and my own unbalanced 442. If I start with one of the downloaded tactics the first thing Ill try to do is change tactics to the other downloaded one for about 10 minutes. If still cant impose myself Ill try my own unbalanced 442 which is "designed" to use OIs and follow Assman's instructions in match.

2. But the above doesnt help you or anyone as its not a real answer to your question. So Ill try to give you another:

(a) Equal/worse opponent: Ill push higher up the field and try to be more aggressive. The idea is to press opponents and not let them be comfortable on the ball. passion4fm in his excellent site (linked in previous posts) for FM13 had an excellent article on pressing/regaining possession. Ive read and assimilated that into what I do. I even have a set of team instructions saved called Win Back Possession for this purpose. This is obviously risky as the opponent may get behind you. I use more direct and wider and I even instruct specific players to tackle harder. I may even man mark opposition cms or tweak formation to add bodies in mf. My wbs/fbs may even get instructions to stay put (eg defend duty).

(b) Opposition better. I basically dont worry that much about not seeing more of the ball, try to be compact and keep my shape (weirdly drop deeper is not that messed up by using hassle and get stuck in). I never use counter on FM14 cos for the life of me I cant make it work.

I definitely agree with the counter comment, it really doesn't work. but yeah passion4fm was my savior last year and his posts have helped me a ton so i'll incoporate his methods. I'm trying to create a fluid or balanced tactic with my liverpool team for my second season and I'm trying to avoid the Second Season Syndrome, but Liverpool need depth and class to compete on the UCL and defend the title as well. At the same time i don't want to risk my teams togethers but Man City are offering 23 million for Jordan Henderson.... and Arsenal what old glen johnson for 15 mil and he's 29... Should I sell? They're both english so they're pretty important

I definitely agree with the counter comment, it really doesn't work. but yeah passion4fm was my savior last year and his posts have helped me a ton so i'll incoporate his methods. I'm trying to create a fluid or balanced tactic with my liverpool team for my second season and I'm trying to avoid the Second Season Syndrome, but Liverpool need depth and class to compete on the UCL and defend the title as well. At the same time i don't want to risk my teams togethers but Man City are offering 23 million for Jordan Henderson.... and Arsenal what old glen johnson for 15 mil and he's 29... Should I sell? They're both english so they're pretty important

1. Sell Glen Johnson - get in somebody like Jonathan Silva (for much less and use the rest of the money strengthening other positions/adding depth). If you want English look at Chris Solly maybe

2. I dont like fluid on FM14. The ME behaves better on rigid imho.

3. You WILL get second season syndrome whatever you do. The challenge is to limit the effects. I find that, among other things, general and match training both on attack for about a month helps ...