Ask uncle MAD (Uncle MAD's box of choccys)

Practice makes perfect - hahaha

From football365:

As we watched Xabi Alonso dive in recklessly to earn Chile the free-kick from which they scored their second goal on Wednesday night - a month after he missed the Champions League final through suspension after diving in recklessly - Mediawatch was reminded of something he said in 2011...

"Tackling is not really a quality, it's more something you are forced to resort to when you don't have the ball."

Maybe he should have practised.

Stefano Denswil

Forgot to say he also scores from free kicks quite a lot (just scored the only goal of the match in extra time for me in my CL final vs PSG!!!)

How idiotic is the English (sports) press? - obvious answer

Oliver Holt in the DAILY MIRROR being typically knee-jerk, writing about the 'sobering night for Roy Hodgson' and twice referring to the failed 'gamble' ('the decision backfired badly') of moving Raheem Sterling out to the right.

Quite why it's a 'gamble' playing Sterling in the position he primarily occupied for Liverpool last season is a mystery; it smacks of smug hindsight.

Worse still, it's smug hindsight from a man who wrote these words just a day before: 'So tweak a couple of things. Play Wayne Rooney down the middle behind Daniel Sturridge. Let Raheem Sterling wreak havoc in wider areas. But don't change much.'

So to re-cap: Do this. And then if it doesn't work...WHAT THE F*** WERE YOU DOING?

Suckered Arsenal into buying him for 16.5 mill, what a robbery for an injury prone high wage 29 year old. I signed Alex Sandro and Sebastian Jung for about 23 mil combined. I went for balanced and i didn't lose a game in any of my friendlies and rarely conceded with different types of defenders so thats a plus. I have my training on team cohesion because the season hasn't started yet but when should i decide to switch it?

Suckered Arsenal into buying him for 16.5 mill, what a robbery for an injury prone high wage 29 year old. I signed Alex Sandro and Sebastian Jung for about 23 mil combined. I went for balanced and i didn't lose a game in any of my friendlies and rarely conceded with different types of defenders so thats a plus. I have my training on team cohesion because the season hasn't started yet but when should i decide to switch it?

If tactics are full or near full id leave it on cohesion very high till after first league match.

Oliver Holt in the DAILY MIRROR being typically knee-jerk, writing about the 'sobering night for Roy Hodgson' and twice referring to the failed 'gamble' ('the decision backfired badly') of moving Raheem Sterling out to the right.

Quite why it's a 'gamble' playing Sterling in the position he primarily occupied for Liverpool last season is a mystery; it smacks of smug hindsight.

Worse still, it's smug hindsight from a man who wrote these words just a day before: 'So tweak a couple of things. Play Wayne Rooney down the middle behind Daniel Sturridge. Let Raheem Sterling wreak havoc in wider areas. But don't change much.'

So to re-cap: Do this. And then if it doesn't work...WHAT THE F*** WERE YOU DOING?

The english media LIVES off knee-jerk reactions. England were doomed to fail once they hired Woy as their coach. Especially after Woy claimed that Suarez wasn't world-class. What a mistake that was.

The english media LIVES off knee-jerk reactions. England were doomed to fail once they hired Woy as their coach. Especially after Woy claimed that Suarez wasn't world-class. What a mistake that was.

I know. Its still depressing tho.

Hodgson didnt do wrong except taking the wrong players (if Im losing with 5 minutes to go in a WC I dont want to be depending on Rickie Lambert - tho I accept that he was not exactly spoilt for choice). Actually it was the first major tournament in ages where England looked like a team, looked like they had a plan, were good to watch (polite for being able to string more than two passes together). But if your back four includes Johnson and Jagielka and your mf contains a player who's not even 50% the player he thinks he is (Gerrard) as well as a player who's only really rated in England and that only recently (Henderson) then chances are that you will fail.

England and the English public must finally accept that most English players are nowhere near the class necessary to do well in tournaments without the help of foreigners (do you think its a coincidence that for years now top teams - any teams?- are not exactly clamouring to buy English players?!). The fact that they dont means an inordinate amount of pressure on English players in every flipping tournament which keeps them from springing a surprise/doing well.

England is not a force in world football. Hasnt been so since, well, never (most, if not all, the World even thinks that 66' was stolen thru that Geoff Hurst goal unfortunately). So Hodgson didnt do badly with what he has available to him.

Last edited:
Now then Mad!

Don't know if this has been answered in your thread, but..

.. I have my inside forwards to aim their crosses at 'target man', but I don't employ a target man (as I set me lone striker as a complete forward). Will the crosses still be aimed towards my 6'6" unit of a CF or do I have to set him back to target man?

I know on other FMs I could make someone a designated target man, but I haven't noticed a way to do it on this one, other than make him a target man.

I think they will aim for your cf. But I dont like giving too many player instructions esp if Im not sure about the effect of each. And in my experience IFs are there for scoring goals/playing shorter passes than crosses. So I always use at least one winger.

When I was 7 my uncle told me he would turn into 'Uncle Mad' if I didn't do as I was told :( He wanted it to be our little secret though.

When I was 7 my uncle told me he would turn into 'Uncle Mad' if I didn't do as I was told :( He wanted it to be our little secret though.

Hehehe, so it seems Im living his dream, Mr Picard!

Hodgson didnt do wrong except taking the wrong players (if Im losing with 5 minutes to go in a WC I dont want to be depending on Rickie Lambert - tho I accept that he was not exactly spoilt for choice). Actually it was the first major tournament in ages where England looked like a team, looked like they had a plan, were good to watch (polite for being able to string more than two passes together). But if your back four includes Johnson and Jagielka and your mf contains a player who's not even 50% the player he thinks he is (Gerrard) as well as a player who's only really rated in England and that only recently (Henderson) then chances are that you will fail.

England and the English public must finally accept that most English players are nowhere near the class necessary to do well in tournaments without the help of foreigners (do you think its a coincidence that for years now top teams - any teams?- are not exactly clamouring to buy English players?!). The fact that they dont means an inordinate amount of pressure on English players in every flipping tournament which keeps them from springing a surprise/doing well.

England is not a force in world football. Hasnt been so since, well, never (most, if not all, the World even thinks that 66' was stolen thru that Geoff Hurst goal unfortunately). So Hodgson didnt do badly with what he has available to him.

I agree to a certain extent. I feel like Hodgson failed to play his players in the right way. We're not that good outside England, but we're still a decent team. He should have set up to counter with pace. Sturridge and Rooney up top with a diamond. Sterling/Lallana/Barkley at the tip of the diamond. Henderson and Milner maybe in the middle with Gerrard holding. Good energy and discipline in the middle, while we have pace, class and finishing ability up top. The backline... idk what we could do with that back line. I hate John Terry, but him and Cahill would have been golden.

It annoyed me in the Italy game when we were 2-1 down, we were controlling the game well in their half and we bring on Jack Wilshere :S It just seemed like such a waste of a sub.

In my opinion Jack Wilshere is one of the most overrated players in the England squad and certainly not a player I would have bought on if I was chasing a goal

English players don't play Champions league football and that is 100% the FA's fault. They might have created the best league in the word but it's the best league in the world based on Spanish and Brazilian players. Cahill, Shaw, Gerrard and Sturridge were the only English players in the PFA team of the year 4/11 (only 1 played CL football). Spain on the other hand had 6 players in the BBVA team of the year, all of which played Champions League football. Yes, Spain were terrible at this tournament but I think we can put that down to a little bit of complacency... England, no pressure, no expectation and seemingly no worries were outclassed by Italy and out fought by, what I percieved as, a poor Uruguay. As a Scotsman I can't deny that I enjoyed watching this with a small grin on my face but it always seems like a painfully easy problem to fix, there needs to be a clamp down on the numbers of foreign players that are pouring into English clubs, stealing the English players places (pardon the UKIP pun).

In all seriousness if all clubs followed Southampton's lead then England would, unfortunately, be a footballing power once again

I'd love to see a limit to the amount of foreign players allowed in the 25 man squad for the BPL. While there is an argument that the quality of football, and the league overall, may suffer, i think that it'd be more than justified by more Englishmen playing first team football.

English players don't play Champions league football and that is 100% the FA's fault. They might have created the best league in the word but it's the best league in the world based on Spanish and Brazilian players. Cahill, Shaw, Gerrard and Sturridge were the only English players in the PFA team of the year 4/11 (only 1 played CL football). Spain on the other hand had 6 players in the BBVA team of the year, all of which played Champions League football. Yes, Spain were terrible at this tournament but I think we can put that down to a little bit of complacency... England, no pressure, no expectation and seemingly no worries were outclassed by Italy and out fought by, what I percieved as, a poor Uruguay. As a Scotsman I can't deny that I enjoyed watching this with a small grin on my face but it always seems like a painfully easy problem to fix, there needs to be a clamp down on the numbers of foreign players that are pouring into English clubs, stealing the English players places (pardon the UKIP pun).

In all seriousness if all clubs followed Southampton's lead then England would, unfortunately, be a footballing power once again

This has been the usual fall back position for English "experts", media etc, namely blame all the foreigners. Frankly imho it doesnt stand to scrutiny:

1. If you cast your mind back to previous tournaments (say at the time of Hoddle and Waddle) there werent so many foreigners playing in the English top league and still England underperformed (or were ****).

2. Most nations with top national teams also have many foreigners (if not more than there are in England).

3. At least two of the Southampton players are madly overrated (Lallana and Lambert) + where exactly did Southampton finish with all those great players?! + please look back in time and tell me when exactly England were a super power so that they can be one "once again"?!

It annoyed me in the Italy game when we were 2-1 down, we were controlling the game well in their half and we bring on Jack Wilshere :S It just seemed like such a waste of a sub.

In my opinion Jack Wilshere is one of the most overrated players in the England squad and certainly not a player I would have bought on if I was chasing a goal

The most annoying thing for me in the Italy match was that we showed no guile. We equalised against what we knew was the best team in our group and instead of taking the draw we went for the win thereby risking making the Uruguay match one of life and death increasing the pressure on us ...

Hello there,

Firstly great series of posts, I've been playing manager games since CM2 but I learnt alot about the newer features from your posts (took a few year gap). I was wondering if you could possible answer me a question though please, I have seen mentioned a few times that you can ask a player (of your team) to speak to an international teammate in reference to joining your club. I was wondering if you knew how to do this coz I have no idea

Thanks

Hello there,

Firstly great series of posts, I've been playing manager games since CM2 but I learnt alot about the newer features from your posts (took a few year gap). I was wondering if you could possible answer me a question though please, I have seen mentioned a few times that you can ask a player (of your team) to speak to an international teammate in reference to joining your club. I was wondering if you knew how to do this coz I have no idea

Thanks

Sorry mate, first time Ive heard of this.

Anyways thanks for your kind words. Ive learnt so much myself from others about FM Im merely trying to give something back!

Sorry mate, first time Ive heard of this.

Anyways thanks for your kind words. Ive learnt so much myself from others about FM Im merely trying to give something back!

Weird I read it over on the official forums but have not been able to find anything else about it after looking for nearly an hour on Google yesterday. Oh well thanks for the quick answer

Hey MAD,

Great thread btw! I have started a career with Ajax after reading various posts about them and their brilliant youth system. I know you have done a few posts about them but wondered if you had any other general tips when managing them. I really want to bring the Youth players through and bring in other talented youngsters that i can nuture. Any advice appreciated :) Thanks.