manutd7182

Reaction score
Recently, I've been trying to develop a style of play for this year's version of FM. Although I have always been a big fan of Barcelona's style and I still am, I have also grown fond of Dortmund's Gengenpressing style. I've been impressed with Dortmund's style the past few season and always wanted to try and replicate that style on FM.

What is gengenpressing?

It might not be the true definition of gengenpressing. But from watching Dortmund play, this is what I feel gengenpressing is.

- Aggressive pressing of the opponent whilst maintaining organised team positioning
- Fast transition from defence to attack
- 11 players working their socks off for 90 minutes

Without the ball - The team would press the opposition forcing them to make a mistake in their passing or looking for tackling opportunities to win the ball back. I felt that this is done as a team and positioning and organisation is the key in getting success.

With the ball - The team immediately hit a through ball in to space and turn defence to attack before the opposition has a chance to organise themselves.

Formation

My team will be set in a 4-2-3-1 formation similar to how Dortmund are set up in real.

Mentality: Counter
Fluidity: Very Rigid

Initially I felt like playing with the Attacking mentality was the best option as I want the team to press very high leaving little space between the defence and midfield. But watching Dortmund play, I feel like they play more of a Counter style so I have decided to test this with Counter mentality. As for the Very Rigid fluidity, the players have a specific job to do and this translates to the very rigid system as I want my players to behave the way they are suppose to and instructed to.

Team Instruction

Hassle Opponents : Ensure the team closes down the player on the ball
Stay on Feet : Well the aim is to win the ball back from opposition mistakes and not going in all guns blazing with a two footed tackle. Besides, hate it when players just dive in needlessly
Play out of Defence : Basically, I don't want my defence to just hoof the ball up field when there are better options up the pitch
Much Higher Defence Line : I want the opposition to be pinned in their own half and not even be given a chance to play their own game
Shorter Passing : Like I said, don't want the players to just hoof the ball, so quick and short passing is what I feel will go well here
Higher Tempo : Fast transition from defence to attack
Retain Possession : Keeping the ball prevents the opposition from playing their game
Be More Disciplined : Want the players to maintain their position and organisation
Work Ball Into Box : Don't want players to shoot from 40 yards when there are better options in front

Although it is still early stages, so far I have seen the trend that my team gets more shots than the opposition, better passing completion, somewhat dominating possession and the opposition is pinned to their own half.

Examples:

View attachment 442612View attachment 442611View attachment 442610

Man Utd 7-1 Everton

Here is the first example and probably one of the best match I've had from using this tactic. Nearly 30 shots, 60% possession and just edged the Tackles won%. It has also shown the average movement between the 2 sides. You can clearly see Everton were pinned in their own half.

View attachment 442607View attachment 442606View attachment 442605

Chelsea 0-3 Man Utd

Here is another example of how the base and the ideals of the tactic are shown. Dominating shots, especially on target shots, possession and again just about edging the tackles won%. I believe if the tactic's fluidity becomes 100% I believe better results can be developed.

View attachment 442604View attachment 442603View attachment 442602

Stoke 0-3 Man Utd

And a third example showing probably the best Tackles won% I managed to get from this tactic against the rugby team known as Stoke. Again, the average movements between the 2 teams can be seen where Stoke are pretty much in their own half.

Players

Now I believe in order for this tactic to gain success, I believe the players should have good Stamina, Teamwork, Work Rate, Positioning in key areas, Pace and Acceleration.

Basically, I want the team to be hard working to allow the pressing all over the pitch and good positioning in the midfield and defence areas in order for the formation to hold and not lose their shape.

Goalkeeper:
Sweeper Keeper - Defend [Instructions: Pass it shorter, Distribute to Defenders]

A standard goalkeeper but controls his own penalty area and helping out the defence when balls over the top are launched to the areas or sweeping through balls that may bypass the defence hopefully with these instructions, it doesn't go route one with his kicking

Right Back
:
Complete Wing Back - Attack [Instructions: Cross Aim Far Post]

Basically, something similar to a Dani Alves

Centre Back (Right):
Central Defender - Stopper [Instructions: None]

Stepping forward to win the ball and move forward passing the ball to the midfield

Centre Back (Left):
Central Defender - Cover [Instructions: None]

The partner to the stopper and cover any spaces left by his partner in defence

Left Back:
Full Back - Automatic [Instructions: Cross Aim Far Post]

The more disciplined full back compared to his friend down the right hand side. Balancing the defence and attack.

Centre Midfield (Right)
:
Deep Lying Playmaker - Support [Instructions: None]

It's in the name really. Deep playmaker, spreading the play whilst providing cover for defence.

Central Midfield (Left):
Ball Winning Midfielder - Defend [Instructions: None]

Again, it's in the name. Winning the ball back, closing down opponents. Although I did consider using a Central Midfield role with a Defence duty for this position. However I felt the CM defence role doesn't provide the aggresiveness a BWM does but the CM role does do a better job at holding it's position but it's not really what I'm looking for.

Right Winger
:
Inside Forward - Attack [Instructions: Get Further Forward]

The secondary attacker, running at the defence to cause havoc whilst chipping in and supplying goals.

Central Attacking Midfielder:
Advanced Playmaker - Attack [Instructions: Roam from Position]

It was between choosing the role Trequartista role and Advanced Playmaker and felt the AP role would benefit the team as I have said before I want the entire team to be closing down the opposition and the Treq role doesn't do the defensive job. As for the AP role, with the Attack Duty, the job is to be the provider and the creator. The guy who does everything.

Left Winger:
Inside Forward - Support [Instructions: Cross Aim Far Post, Hold Position]

The third attacker. I always prefer IFs over Wingers as I don't just want someone who provides the cross on the wing. I want someone who does that + getting in the box to score. I set it to cross far post because it is sort of the guy who provides the crosses for the team, like a Winger, but offers just a little bit more to be a 3rd attacker to support the front men.

Striker:
Complete Forward - Attack [Instructions: Roam From Position, Move Into Channels]

The all round attacker. Coming deep, assisting the rest of the team, working with the AP and providing goals as well as fashioning a chance for himself.

View attachment 442555

Additional Information:

- When playing against a team that mirrors your formation 4-2-3-1

What I do here is not close the Central Midfielders down when setting my OI (I let my assistant handle the OI only if his tactic attribute is 15+) As I feel if the team is also focused on closing the opposition CM down. They may lose focus on the opposition AMC, their creator, to ensure the opposition AMC does not get the space and time to pick out the killer pass.

Also, instruct the team to Play Wider and Exploit the Middle. Therefore, the team can expand their play giving your AMC more time and space to strut his stuff.

The additional instructions of Play Wider and Exploit the Middle also applies if playing against a team who plays 4-4-2

- When playing against a team who plays Narrow. Such as a narrow 4-4-2 Diamond or a 4-2-3-1 with no Wingers.

I found that it worked best when I instruct the team to Exploit the Flanks and Look for Overlap as well as showing the opposition full backs to their weaker foot. I have found that it absolutely destroys their formation.

- When you have the possession but not the shots/goals

I increase the tempo. It does help and it has helped me the odd times to nick a goal when I need the goals at crucial times.

Right and here is the tactic. I will admit, this tactic is far from finished or perfect. I've felt like uploading here as it has given me good results and would like you guys to possibly test and provide feedback on what has gone well and what needs improving in order for this tactic to perform to it's potential. I feel that the base and the ideals are there in the tactic. Again, feedback are welcome and hopefully improvements can be made for this tactic. Many thanks and enjoy (hopefully)!

Update!!

I have decided to introduce an Attacking mentality of this tactic. As after further looking in on how Dortmund actually play, I feel they are a more attacking minded team. The reason I originally decided to go with counter attack as my initial mentality for the tactic is because of how high Dortmund actually press in real life; and this high pressing + swift passing from defence to attack may seem like a counter attack. And I feel this updated tactic show more of this. Also, I feel that the Attacking tactic would be necessary when coming up against teams that are making it difficult when using the Counter tactic. So you can say it is like a Plan A and a Plan B. Once again, I'd like to say this tactic isn't perfect yet, as I need anyone who is interested in giving this tactic a try and see how it goes for you. Here are some screenshots of my results with this tactic. More screenshots of the Attacking version of this tactic is on Page 9.

View attachment 440791View attachment 440790View attachment 440789
View attachment 440788View attachment 440787View attachment 440786
View attachment 440785View attachment 440784View attachment 440783

Last edited:
Got any screenshots of your fixture list with the results?

Also, any idea if this works in Classic Mode?

You seem to have a nice tactic. I'm working on something similar based (not replica) on this too.

But my setup is a bit different. I play a standard 4-5-1 to have more consistency at the back but I plan to move onto a formation with an AMC (I love this) once the team feel more secure with their game. I choose a very fluid approach with control mentality, in order to the team remain compact and press as a unit.
So far, I've played 2 games against too weaker sides weaker than mine. Won comfortably 3-1 (silly penalty, silly defender) and 3-0, without them having any attempt at my goal.

But well done mate. The forum is full of possession tactics and this is an area that should be improved! And Dortmund has one of the best football in Europe, even without Gundogan or Gotze.

Cheers!

Got any screenshots of your fixture list with the results?

Also, any idea if this works in Classic Mode?

View attachment 442536

I also need to point out. I used this tactic when I'm the away team and the 2 matches I've circled that I played at home. As I just like to play with a Home and Away tactic. And I just have this mentality that since I'm the away team, I want to stop the Home team from playing. This tactic works wherever you play.

You seem to have a nice tactic. I'm working on something similar based (not replica) on this too.

But my setup is a bit different. I play a standard 4-5-1 to have more consistency at the back but I plan to move onto a formation with an AMC (I love this) once the team feel more secure with their game. I choose a very fluid approach with control mentality, in order to the team remain compact and press as a unit.
So far, I've played 2 games against too weaker sides weaker than mine. Won comfortably 3-1 (silly penalty, silly defender) and 3-0, without them having any attempt at my goal.

But well done mate. The forum is full of possession tactics and this is an area that should be improved! And Dortmund has one of the best football in Europe, even without Gundogan or Gotze.

Cheers!

Thanks man, appreciate the comment. And good luck with your tactic too. Though... don't mind if you give mine a shot? Hahaha. Yeah I really do like the possession based tactics and love how Dortmund play. But yeah, since you're working on something of a pressing tactic. Let us know how you're going about with yours.

I don't believe you :p

Nothing ever works for me in Classic Mode lol. I'll give it a go in a bit, probably as Swansea to see how it does.

Oh, sorry, I actually meant home team or away team. Sorry man, haven't played this in Classic Mode. I usually just play the full version.

Hi,
is that this tactic works with small teams ?
|)

Hi Pablo, I'm willing to test this with a small team. See how it goes. Again, like I have stated, I know this tactic is not perfect and I'm hoping you guys here can give us a hand with some feedback about what's good and what's not about this tactic.

It's the same ME guys. So, there's no reason for don't work. ;)

Oh, sorry, I actually meant home team or away team. Sorry man, haven't played this in Classic Mode. I usually just play the full version.

Well I'll be giving it a go in Classic and will let you know.

It's the same ME guys. So, there's no reason for don't work. ;)

Now THAT I really don't believe. :p

I've tried so many tactics people are raving about in Classic mode, and none ever work lol

Excellent stuff, this is almost identical to my interpretation of gegenpressing. Differences being that I use rigid, and don't use shorter passing or more discipline, and I use a winger support instead of an inside forward.

Oh ok. Never noticed about that 'cause I never play on Classic. But I always read this. Might be wrong or misleading what I've read.

Hi Pablo, I'm willing to test this with a small team. See how it goes. Again, like I have stated, I know this tactic is not perfect and I'm hoping you guys here can give us a hand with some feedback about what's good and what's not about this tactic.
The concept should work for a team whose players are capable of pressing hard for 90 minutes and having the players capable of the quick transitions. The DLP/MC combo, AMC and FC are key roles, if people haven't got this, it eill be hard work

just finished the season with man city, so will be trying this in the second season :)

What about training?

Pre-season: Tactics, Tactics Only with Heavy Intensity
During Season: Balanced, Attacking Movement with Average Intensity

Any suggestions for a team to use this with?

Well.. as long as you can get players who can press for 90 minutes and have the attributes that I've mentioned to make this tactic work. Can start with Dortmund if you want?