Attempting to replicate Dortmund's Gengenpressing

• Thread starter Thread starter manutd7182
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 229
  • Views Views 73K
Was thinking about the PPM's. I'm a fan of this as I believe this improves the game play. What's your thoughts on this?

There are some basic ones and replicates how Dortmund plays IRL. Like Sahin and Gundogan with comes deep to get the ball, Bender to play short simples passes, Pisczek to get forward whenever possible, etc..

Was thinking about the PPM's. I'm a fan of this as I believe this improves the game play. What's your thoughts on this?

There are some basic ones and replicates how Dortmund plays IRL. Like Sahin and Gundogan with comes deep to get the ball, Bender to play short simples passes, Pisczek to get forward whenever possible, etc..

I agree, I do think PPMs actually play a part in the game. I would say, for example, the centre backs, if they have a Passing attribute of less than 12. I'd make sure to try to get them to Play Short Simple Passes. The CWBs should be Getting forward whenever possible, Hugs Line and Runs down the left/right flank.

I also think Play One Twos for players capable of doing that would help as it can help you keep possession as well as contributing to finishing moves that may lead to a goal.

Move Into Channels for the AMC and ST would be good. Making them hard to mark and look for space.

manutd7182:

Dont know if i get everything right but, can i use this both home and away without changes? And can i imply it on let us say Blackburn? :) should do pretty good with this line-up!!

manutd7182:

Dont know if i get everything right but, can i use this both home and away without changes? And can i imply it on let us say Blackburn? :) should do pretty good with this line-up!!

Yeah, you can use it for home and away. Well, I hope you can because it worked for me haha. Well I just like to prefer to use 2 different tactics for home and away haha. Hope it goes well for you. As long as you able to get players that fills the roles and attributes for this tactic it should be ok. Let us know how it goes mate.

looks like a very good tactic :)
do you have any problems with the strikers when do you use this tactic? because i'm dealing with goalless striker now..

update:
got a surprising win 4-1 against barca the first time I use this tactic
but failed to win La Liga, finished 2nd behind Real Madrid because got many draws against mediocre teams in the last weeks
wingers always do unnecessary long shots, rarely pass to striker with better position to score..
didnt say its a bad tactic though, maybe it isnt suit my team and philosophy..

Last edited:
manutd:

How important would you say this instructions are?:

Additional Information:

- When playing against a team that mirrors your formation 4-2-3-1

What I do here is not close the Central Midfielders down when setting my OI (I let my assistant handle the OI only if his tactic attribute is 15+) As I feel if the team is also focused on closing the opposition CM down. They may lose focus on the opposition AMC, their creator, to ensure the opposition AMC does not get the space and time to pick out the killer pass.

Also, instruct the team to Play Wider and Exploit the Middle. Therefore, the team can expand their play giving your AMC more time and space to strut his stuff.

The additional instructions of Play Wider and Exploit the Middle also applies if playing against a team who plays 4-4-2

- When playing against a team who plays Narrow. Such as a narrow 4-4-2 Diamond or a 4-2-3-1 with no Wingers.

I found that it worked best when I instruct the team to Play Narrower, Exploit the Flanks and Look for Overlap as well as showing the opposition full backs to their weaker foot. I have found that it absolutely destroys their formation.

- When you have the possession but not the shots/goals

I increase the tempo. It does help and it has helped me the odd times to nick a goal when I need the goals at crucial times.

cheers

looks like a very good tactic :)
do you have any problems with the strikers when do you use this tactic? because i'm dealing with goalless striker now..

update:
got a surprising win 4-1 against barca the first time I use this tactic
but failed to win La Liga, finished 2nd behind Real Madrid because got many draws against mediocre teams in the last weeks
wingers always do unnecessary long shots, rarely pass to striker with better position to score..
didnt say its a bad tactic though, maybe it isnt suit my team and philosophy..

Did you try using some of the tips I posted as additional information? Maybe that might have worked. How far off was you off top?

found it very easy with Man City using this tactic. so gonna do a new save with Swansea. Ill post my progress

Good to see it's working for you! Yeah, you can post some screens to show how it's been working. :)

manutd:

How important would you say this instructions are?:

Additional Information:

- When playing against a team that mirrors your formation 4-2-3-1

What I do here is not close the Central Midfielders down when setting my OI (I let my assistant handle the OI only if his tactic attribute is 15+) As I feel if the team is also focused on closing the opposition CM down. They may lose focus on the opposition AMC, their creator, to ensure the opposition AMC does not get the space and time to pick out the killer pass.

Also, instruct the team to Play Wider and Exploit the Middle. Therefore, the team can expand their play giving your AMC more time and space to strut his stuff.

The additional instructions of Play Wider and Exploit the Middle also applies if playing against a team who plays 4-4-2

- When playing against a team who plays Narrow. Such as a narrow 4-4-2 Diamond or a 4-2-3-1 with no Wingers.

I found that it worked best when I instruct the team to Play Narrower, Exploit the Flanks and Look for Overlap as well as showing the opposition full backs to their weaker foot. I have found that it absolutely destroys their formation.

- When you have the possession but not the shots/goals

I increase the tempo. It does help and it has helped me the odd times to nick a goal when I need the goals at crucial times.

cheers

I think what I've said here has helped me before or at least it has shown improvements to the game when things were not working well even if I may not win the match. So yeah, I believe it does make an impact.

what do you do when a player gets sent off?

I generally sacrifice the striker position, make sure every other position is filled. Just that the key is the players should be behind the ball. Let the IFs put the extra mile in trying to score the goals.

Did you try using some of the tips I posted as additional information? Maybe that might have worked. How far off was you off top?

not far though, just drop from 1st to 2nd. Bad results happened in the last 6 league matches (and the last 3 simply giving the title to Real) most of them caused from draws against low table clubs (mostly 1-1 or 0-0)
might give it another go for a season more since I used it not from the beginning

not far though, just drop from 1st to 2nd. Bad results happened in the last 6 league matches (and the last 3 simply giving the title to Real) most of them caused from draws against low table clubs (mostly 1-1 or 0-0)
might give it another go for a season more since I used it not from the beginning

Yeah, when your team is needing a goal, I tend to up the tempo. Usually helps nick a goal.

Back