Attempting to replicate Dortmund's Gengenpressing

• Thread starter Thread starter manutd7182
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 229
  • Views Views 73K
I was having troubles in defence, mostly trough balls to the defense's back, and I come with 2 solutions (at least, it worked for me and my squad, with hummels and subotic, not necessarily pacey defenders...)

1- Change the full backs to wing backs on support, with the individual intruction "gets forward whenever possible", this way they get up in the field only if the ball is on their side + and both central defenders to cover, this way they drop deep and sweep the trough balls
2- same trick with the full backs + both central defenders to block and tick the offside trap... this way they press even higher up the pitch, cleaning the zone and it improved a lot the offside trap, who seems kind of buggy in this version of the game. However, playing against 2 strikers with good of the ball will kill you, so use it cautiously...

and that's it, not gonna say it will work for all teams, but in my case it did. Keep in mind that I put all the individual instruction "thight marking" in all of my players individual instructions.
sorry for my poor english ;)

Great to see this is helping you. Keep it up man! :)

What PPMs does Hazard have by the way? I usually go for any of Welbeck, Zaha, Januzaj and sometimes even Kagawa on LW.
Hazard has "Tries killer balls often", "Runs with ball often" and "Plays one-twos".

The thing is, Hazard was last rated by SI when he was at Lille. He can finish better IRL whereas his finishing stat is only 12 in game (Even Ashley Young !! has 12). You can get better assists from him, he's an assist machine, since he has plenty of space out wide. Also you'd be better of teaching him "Cuts In" PPM since he's two footed and sometimes goes to byline and is in no position to shoot. He started scoring regularly for me after he reached 24.

Just another thing i've forgotten. In away games, the most difficult ones, I change the role of the BWM to MC-D, giving them the "press more" individual instruction. The player will hold more the position and play more rigid, besides that, no major difference, but i think it helps holding the miedfield.

Just another thing i've forgotten. In away games, the most difficult ones, I change the role of the BWM to MC-D, giving them the "press more" individual instruction. The player will hold more the position and play more rigid, besides that, no major difference, but i think it helps holding the miedfield.

CM-D has a built in "press more", right?

Hazard has "Tries killer balls often", "Runs with ball often" and "Plays one-twos".

The thing is, Hazard was last rated by SI when he was at Lille. He can finish better IRL whereas his finishing stat is only 12 in game (Even Ashley Young !! has 12). You can get better assists from him, he's an assist machine, since he has plenty of space out wide. Also you'd be better of teaching him "Cuts In" PPM since he's two footed and sometimes goes to byline and is in no position to shoot. He started scoring regularly for me after he reached 24.

Haven't used Hazard this year so couldn't tell you. But I assume Hazard would fit well in this system. I honestly believe so. But yes, teach him cut inside would definitely help.

I honestly considered using CM - Defend. Think I mentioned on the first post was that the CM - D wasn't as aggressive as a BWM but I do agree the CM holds the midfield better but it wasn't what I was looking for. As I felt the BWM does more pressing even if he does maybe push up a bit and temporarily depart from his station in the midfield. CM - D would work yes but I just felt it would lack the slight aggressiveness.

Haven't used Hazard this year so couldn't tell you. But I assume Hazard would fit well in this system. I honestly believe so. But yes, teach him cut inside would definitely help.

I honestly considered using CM - Defend. Think I mentioned on the first post was that the CM - D wasn't as aggressive as a BWM but I do agree the CM holds the midfield better but it wasn't what I was looking for. As I felt the BWM does more pressing even if he does maybe push up a bit and temporarily depart from his station in the midfield. CM - D would work yes but I just felt it would lack the slight aggressiveness.

Then CM-D with aggresive tackling instruction, or some PPM like "marks opponent tightly" could be THE answer? :D

In my oppinion, it could help in those difficult away games, but at home or easy games, i don't see much advantages... In my save i mostly concede goals by through balls at the backs of the central defenders or when my full backs are caught out of position, i rarely can complain on my miedfield duo...

Then CM-D with aggresive tackling instruction, or some PPM like "marks opponent tightly" could be THE answer? :D

Maybe, but what I mean for BWM as more aggressive is he would venture all around the pitch pressing and winning the ball.. and CM would only hold the midfield therefore just station near his partner midfield... think that's it. Though it may work.

Hazard actually does fit in this system mate, I'm currently using this tactic and he's performing well. He has good work rate, is willing to help the fullback defensively.

Back