Attempting to replicate Dortmund's Gengenpressing

• Thread starter Thread starter manutd7182
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 229
  • Views Views 73K
O you can set bot defenders to defend and drop the d-line a bit - it works for me. Also if you have big men in the centre (and a superb AMC for better effect) you can set "attack through the middle" when playing against 4-5-1, even if it seems that 3 CMs of theirs is too much, don't be scared :D

Do you have any advice for vs. teams playing 4-5-1? I find that if I use the attack version, my defensive line gets exposed too often, so I've been trying control instead. It seems you really need good defenders for this tactic or else you're really vulnerable to counterattacks.

Yes, fast defenders are crucial for the main tactic. But if you cannot get quick defenders, I'd agree with dropping the defence line or pull the defence line back.

O you can set bot defenders to defend and drop the d-line a bit - it works for me. Also if you have big men in the centre (and a superb AMC for better effect) you can set "attack through the middle" when playing against 4-5-1, even if it seems that 3 CMs of theirs is too much, don't be scared :D

Yep, what I do is attack through the middle and play wider when playing against a 4-5-1 with a DM. I'm sure I've mentioned this on my first post. The idea here is the AMC is set to roam from position and it is likely the opposition DM would try to mark my AMC and since the AMC is roaming all over the DM is inclined to follow hence the DM may be dragged out of position. So don't be afraid to play through the middle here.

Last edited:
Oooor you can set your wingers narrower and as a Shadow Striker (and give them instructions to cover wingers of the opposing team) so you have 5 people in the middle and suddenly an overload is created ;D

Oooor you can set your wingers narrower and as a Shadow Striker (and give them instructions to cover wingers of the opposing team) so you have 5 people in the middle and suddenly an overload is created ;D

Haven't tried this... though it may work. Never used the Shadow Striker as I feel creativity is more of a priority.. though I may be wrong and this may work a charm if needing goals.

Yup I tried similar setup and Shadow Striker is a key for this whole thing to work as he will harrass deep lying playmakers.

What about offside traps? I have a bunch of average to slow defenders but with good mental stats. I dropped the defensive line one notch but I'm thinking of using the offside trap on top of that. I'm afraid if I actually tell them to drop deeper it will affect the shape of the formation.

What about offside traps? I have a bunch of average to slow defenders but with good mental stats. I dropped the defensive line one notch but I'm thinking of using the offside trap on top of that. I'm afraid if I actually tell them to drop deeper it will affect the shape of the formation.

How I feel about offside trap is... it may work but when you're coming up against players with high pace AND high off the ball movement, like Javier Hernandez for example. They will rip your defence apart. So have to bare in mind when to use the offside trap.

You can do that, but I meant to put the wingers in the AMCL and AMCR positions and then give them SS role :D

I'm intrigued about the changes you've made to this tactic. Like how you have made this work with the wingers being converted to AMCs. Would opponents take the team apart from the flanks?

Would opponents take the team apart from the flanks?

No, because I give those side AMCs an instruction to go wide with the ball and set them to manmark opposition's FBs or even their wingers :D Also I prefer SS over IF because of the defensive contribution of the first one (just look at the stats required for a SS - covering, interceptions etc). So basically I've got them in AMCL and AMCR just to get SS roles, but playing as widemen :D

Just like in real life counter-pressing: Massive workrate is the key :D

Last edited:
No, because I give those side AMCs an instruction to go wide with the ball and set them to manmark opposition's FBs or even their wingers :D Also I prefer SS over IF because of the defensive contribution of the first one (just look at the stats required for a SS - covering, interceptions etc). So basically I've got them in AMCL and AMCR just to get SS roles, but playing as widemen :D

Just like in real life counter-pressing: Massive workrate is the key :D

Sounds good, might give that a try. As it makes sense, pushing the AMCL/R out wide is just close to playing them on the wing.

what's the benefit of playing with defensive line pushed much higher up compared to just higher up if you have the defenders for it?

what's the benefit of playing with defensive line pushed much higher up compared to just higher up if you have the defenders for it?

The idea is pressing high, hence the defence line is as high up as possible in order to win the ball back as quickly as possible to turn defence in to attack. From my screenshots, you may be able to tell from their average positioning, the opponent is camped in their own half with back 4, often my 2 centre backs close to the half way line.

do you think retain possession conflicts with a high tempo?

You would think it would but the idea is like pilif25 said, try to play as fast as possible to attack, but in the end have to take as quickest and fastest route possible from defence to attack. And if keeping the ball is necessary then be it. Hence the instruction to retain possession. As I feel that's how Dortmund play if they cannot turn execute a fast counter.

how can i make my forward scores more often? this is a wonderful tactic....but most of the goal scores are come from those 2 IFs especially the left IF. and the centre can only score 1 goal in 2 or 3 games

do u allow players to rest before or after match? or both?

edit: i notice in the last 20 minutes of the game, i'll concede a goal or two. i'm using the attacking version, so can i just change the mentality from attacking to counter or change to the counter version of the tactic?

Last edited:
do u allow players to rest before or after match? or both?

edit: i notice in the last 20 minutes of the game, i'll concede a goal or two. i'm using the attacking version, so can i just change the mentality from attacking to counter or change to the counter version of the tactic?

Generally I rest them only after, but every season FM screws up my calendar so I have like 5 games with one day rest between each and then I have rest before and after ticked.

Yep, switch to counter and also you can drop the d-line so it's a pure counter without any risk of fast attacker getting in behind :)

Back