Attempting to replicate Dortmund's Gengenpressing

• Thread starter Thread starter manutd7182
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 229
  • Views Views 73K
thanks, oh yeah btw, how about OI? should i use it? i have Mauro Tassotti as my asst man, he has tactical knowledge of 20.

thanks, oh yeah btw, how about OI? should i use it? i have Mauro Tassotti as my asst man, he has tactical knowledge of 20.

If my assistant manager has tactical knowledge of +15 I generally let him do his thing. But I make sure the wide players and strikers have tackling hard and shown to weaker foot. As for the midfield and attacking midfield, please refer to my first post.

If my assistant manager has tactical knowledge of +15 I generally let him do his thing. But I make sure the wide players and strikers have tackling hard and shown to weaker foot. As for the midfield and attacking midfield, please refer to my first post.

Also look out for random man-marking in players instructions visible only after accepting the squad (when you have the prematch talk etc), because they seem to appear randomly in my FM and for example my right winger is set to mark opponent's central midfielder and the whole thing just screws up, when I forget to adjust it...

Also look out for random man-marking in players instructions visible only after accepting the squad (when you have the prematch talk etc), because they seem to appear randomly in my FM and for example my right winger is set to mark opponent's central midfielder and the whole thing just screws up, when I forget to adjust it...

LOL? I honestly have not noticed that... Although I seem to have done alright with it. But I shall have a look at it next match.

Maybe it's just my game, but it happens to me every match... When I go to player instruction before the match - it's ok, but when a look there in the match or after picking the squad it's screwed up...

Maybe it's just my game, but it happens to me every match... When I go to player instruction before the match - it's ok, but when a look there in the match or after picking the squad it's screwed up...

Yeah, it doesn't happen with mine.. Probably bugged I imagine.

Hi, I love this tactic and had great success in my firs season, I have two problems though, I seem to accumulate a lot of red and yellow cards with this tactic, not sure how I can prevent this without altering the instructions. Also, no matter what I try my strikers(Rooney or RVP) don't perform, I 've set the full backs to cross more often and turned off 'Look for overlap' as this seems to help generally but still no luck with goals from strikers, any help much appreciated

Hi, I love this tactic and had great success in my firs season, I have two problems though, I seem to accumulate a lot of red and yellow cards with this tactic, not sure how I can prevent this without altering the instructions. Also, no matter what I try my strikers(Rooney or RVP) don't perform, I 've set the full backs to cross more often and turned off 'Look for overlap' as this seems to help generally but still no luck with goals from strikers, any help much appreciated

Have you tried changing strikers' role? A found one of three (complete, advanced, poacher) roles always working for me, so maybe it'll work for you? If you plan playing RVP and Rooney at the same time, maybe you should put RVP on complete/advanced forward and Rooney on shadow striker.

Hi, no I never play them together as Kagawa is awesome in AP role, might change RVP to AF or Poacher and see how that goes, thanks for the help. Any idea why I get loads of red cards?

Hi, no I never play them together as Kagawa is awesome in AP role, might change RVP to AF or Poacher and see how that goes, thanks for the help. Any idea why I get loads of red cards?

Hmm generally Rooney/RVP would relish as a Complete Forward.. but if that doesn't work then yes I'd agree to give AF and Poacher a try. Do you get straight red cards? Or is it 2 yellows?

Straight reds? On what positions and who do you play there?

Tried using Shadow Strikers instead of Inside Forwards as a tweak since I have players who can play AM. Safe to say it's working pretty good and I'm alternating between using IFs and 3 AMs. Although I've switched my LB's Full Back role in to a WB role to give the formation slightly more width as well as changing the Advanced Playmaker role from Attack to Support to give it more balance as for the original formation, the 3 behind the striker was 2 players with Attack duty and 1 support duty . But a good tweak man. Think it would be great for people who do not like to use wingers.

Last edited:
All my defenders and more often than not it's two yellows, vidic, smelling, evra and my centre mids, Darrick, fellaini and bender.

All my defenders and more often than not it's two yellows, vidic, smelling, evra and my centre mids, Darrick, fellaini and bender.

So I suppose it's all late tackles or not-letting-oppontent-to-go-on-1v1-tackle, but it's all based on speed of your defenders... Only thing I can think of besides having a pacey defs is dropping the d-line a bit.

So I suppose it's all late tackles or not-letting-oppontent-to-go-on-1v1-tackle, but it's all based on speed of your defenders... Only thing I can think of besides having a pacey defs is dropping the d-line a bit.

I'd advise the same as pilif as well... strange really. I'm managing United too and I'm pretty much one of the teams who gets the least cards each season. Strange indeed.. What are the reasons for the sending offs? 2 footed lunge? Stopping 1v1s?

This tactic is been awesome in my experience. The striker won't score for fun if he has the prefered moves "comes deep to get ball", "stop plays", "play back to goal", "dwells on ball" or something like that, otherwise, it will be a scoring machine. Dropping the d-line will help your defense but kill the high pressing from the defensive line, I suggest you tick thight marking on your individual instructions, and set your CD both to cover, so they drop deep and sweep the balls that go through your defense's back...

Right now I'm struggling with Hazard on AML position... I just can't get him scoring. Last two seasons 9 goals each in the BPL with 11 assists - I rate him a lot higher. Has any of you found some tweak for Hazard-like type of player?

This tactic is been awesome in my experience. The striker won't score for fun if he has the prefered moves "comes deep to get ball", "stop plays", "play back to goal", "dwells on ball" or something like that, otherwise, it will be a scoring machine. Dropping the d-line will help your defense but kill the high pressing from the defensive line, I suggest you tick thight marking on your individual instructions, and set your CD both to cover, so they drop deep and sweep the balls that go through your defense's back...

I agree with Stops play, play back to goal and dwells on ball.. I absolutely hate this set of PPMs. Although I have used Robin van Persie and he has Come Deep To Get The Ball and I believe Wayne Rooney has as well and they both have chipped in 15+ goals each from them. As for dropping the line, I also agree that it kills the philosophy of this tactic to press high, but some users have said it worked for them, although I have had no problems with my defence. Though I have changed my defensive pairing to both Central Defender role and Defend duty. See if that helps.

Right now I'm struggling with Hazard on AML position... I just can't get him scoring. Last two seasons 9 goals each in the BPL with 11 assists - I rate him a lot higher. Has any of you found some tweak for Hazard-like type of player?

What PPMs does Hazard have by the way? I usually go for any of Welbeck, Zaha, Januzaj and sometimes even Kagawa on LW.

I was having troubles in defence, mostly trough balls to the defense's back, and I come with 2 solutions (at least, it worked for me and my squad, with hummels and subotic, not necessarily pacey defenders...)

1- Change the full backs to wing backs on support, with the individual intruction "gets forward whenever possible", this way they get up in the field only if the ball is on their side + and both central defenders to cover, this way they drop deep and sweep the trough balls
2- same trick with the full backs + both central defenders to block and tick the offside trap... this way they press even higher up the pitch, cleaning the zone and it improved a lot the offside trap, who seems kind of buggy in this version of the game. However, playing against 2 strikers with good of the ball will kill you, so use it cautiously...

and that's it, not gonna say it will work for all teams, but in my case it did. Keep in mind that I put all the individual instruction "thight marking" in all of my players individual instructions.
sorry for my poor english ;)

Back