Status
Not open for further replies.
FEBRUARY 2014
Man City away, the game highlights on full speed ahead because I don’t want to watch the 25 attempts on the Boro goal. Lose 2-1 which was flattering since City should have won 5 or 6-1.
A preview of the cup final is next, as Sunderland take the short drive down the A19 to Middlesbrough. Nothing beats winning against Newcastle and Sunderland, and nothing hurts more when they beat us.
On the Boro are off to a cracker, 1-0 after 5 mins, Lukman Haruna from 25 yards out, into the top corner ! But as usual my celebrations are short lived as Sunderland equalize after 10.
Sunderland start to take over possession wise and attempts on goal. I change from standard to control and then…..
BORO V Chelsea Viduka's Goal Celebrations - YouTube
Man Utd are the next team to grace the Riverside, now it’s decision time - do I continue with the cautious approach against the top teams or do I try a more adventurous tactic?
On just a comical note, Sir Alex doesn’t like me
View attachment 230389
To which I reply
View attachment 230388
And now he suddenly does…..
View attachment 230387
Make you ****** mind up Alex man !​

I start with a standard approach, take the lead and go to counter approach. And the match goes according to plan, unfortunately not my plan and United go back to Manchester with a 2-1 win.

Now at this point I must explain something, after the QPR match I managed to accidently close FM 12 and had to load it up again - to the date just BEFORE the QPR match (originally lost 1-0), played the game again and won 2-1. Which I'll take since I beat Warnocks' side at last !

Last edited:
LEAGUE CUP FINAL
View attachment 230447
Venue Wembley
View attachment 230449
Some news before the match
View attachment 230446View attachment 230445
Only bad news is
View attachment 230444
Difficult to see the different supporters as both Boro and Sunderland have red and white scarves. Tremendous atmosphere at Wembley. Come on Boro !
Team line ups
View attachment 230443
Sometimes you wonder why you bother watching the match, Niang is out injured, Giudetti for some strange reason is travelling to the Swedish national team and Sonogo gets injured after 10 mins. Sod Off !
30 mins in and the Boro fans are squirming in their seats and as the Sunderland fans sing 'You don't know what ya doing', I’m doing a great impression of a question mark.
HALF TIME 0-0
Lots of tension and but Boro have 63% possession and 3-0 shots on target.
Much better from the Boro as Haruna hits the post from 25 yards. Double substitution in the 60th minute from Boro as Sanogo and Cabral come off for Emnes and Ephraim.
63 min and it’s Kietas’ turn to hit the woodwork.
84th minute and Emnes runs the Sunderland defence ragged, pulls the ball back and unfortunately Ephraim has 3 mackems around him and the ball is cleared. Still 0-0.
EXTRA TIME
101 mins GET IN THERE ! Emnes scores his first goal of the season after slamming home his own rebound.

We are yet again a small town in Europe ! And I still don't have a clue what I'm doing ! :p

MARCH 2014
The Premier League fixture starts off in March with Chelsea coming to town. In a wonderful match, Ryan Bennett heads in the winner from a corner in the 95th minute.
Boro have already reached 45 points and the goal is 50 now, that should be enough for a mid-table finish. You might think that I have a chance for a better position than that, but I have already achieved Europa League football next year and therefore the pressure is off.
Arsenal at the Emirates and an inevitable 2-1 defeat (attempts on goal 19-2) and I am still without a chance against the top teams. Chelsea have been struggling this season and therefore I don’t count them in.
The month finishes with a trip to Craven Cottage. Finally, the training of set pieces brings dividends and Ryan Bennett scores a hat-trick from corners. Fulham 1-3 Boro.

APRIL 2014
Wolves come to visit and travel back to the Midlands with a lucky 2-1 win. Can’t blame the lads, my tactical tinkering undid me again but Sanogo was only a gnats hair away from equalizing.
Another close but disappointing defeat to West Ham away. Really unlucky here, since two wicked deflections were the only reasons why we got beat. Kevin ‘Sick Leave’ Thomson is yet again on the injury list, directly after coming back from the physios’ room.
Spurs at home and we battled to a 0-0 draw, 33 games played now and 49 pts. on the board. Next game is at home against Stoke, a team whom always seem to beat me.
Not this time mind
View attachment 230918
Derby County at Pride Park is the next venue and the Boro comfortably win 4-1, Derby unfortunately are not cut out for the Premiership

MAY 2014
The bottom side Reading come to the Riverside needing a win to keep their survival hopes alive. They start off well and take the lead in the first ten minutes, but afterwards the Boro just dominate and win 4-1.
With the win, Boro guarantee themselves, at worst, 7th place, Reading are relegated and with them goes ‘Warnock the Merchant Banker’ and his QPR. Oh what a shame I won’t be seeing Warnock next season.
The Reserve team do it again, mind you I think the achievement of scoring a goal should not be headline news, do you ?
Blackburn away, and I’ve never been so clueless during a match. I tried everything and Blackburn ran all over us, we still managed to get 0-0 mind !
With the season coming to a close, I must look over the squad. Frederici wants out, so another goalie is needed. My left backs haven’t developed at a ‘wow’ rate and maybe I should be on the lookout for someone better. Well I’ll go through the squad a little later on.
Mind you many players want out because they are not playing - Frederici, Grounds, Magnusson, Hernández………
Last game of the season and we go to Villa Park and win resoundidly 4-0.
Table and results​
View attachment 230994View attachment 230993View attachment 230996View attachment 230992View attachment 230991View attachment 230990

OFF SEASON
Well now it’s time to look at the squad
GK Steele, Frederici - out, Ferrari (youth), need a back-up to Steele (who doesn’t winge).

DL Joe Bennett and Lecjaks are not developing quickly enough. I’ve got in Michael Jakobsen (DLC) who is a DC but has good stats for left back, Both Bates and Grounds want to leave

DR Naughton looks the biz but need a back up (Hoyte is going down hill, Rhys Williams can play there as well so maybe I should just keep an eye out for a player - no rush)

DC Dragovic, Ryan Bennett and Jakobsen. Williams as well. McManus, Magnusson, Bates and Grounds want out.

DMC I’m spoilt for choice here Williams, McCann, Thomson, Mutch and Kieta.

Box2Box - Williams, McCann, Thomson, Mutch and Haruna. Smallwood back up

Deep Playmaker - Williams, McCann, Thomson, Mutch and Haruna. Smallwood back up

Inside ST - Cabral and Falque (Hernández wants out) Back up Gasolin, Ephraim, Emnes

Striker Sanogo, Niang, Emnes and Himscinschi (NEW)

Parnbys opinion of the squad
View attachment 231176

Harry Redknapp retires and Spurs offer me the job, tempting but no thanks.

Last edited:
JULY 2014
The UEFA Europe League qualifiers don’t begin for Boro till the end of the month, so it’s just friendlies and strengthening the squad that’s on the agenda.
Transfers in Spas Delev from Aston Villa for £2m. He’s a right footed AML.
First friendly match is Bayern Munich at the Riverside and a great performance by the lads and a 1-1 draw.
Time for the UEFA Cup draw
View attachment 231606View attachment 231605
And the first tie at the Riverside and the fixtures so far
View attachment 231604View attachment 231603

AUGUST 2014
Hercules at home in a friendly match ends up 4-2 to the Boro and then it’s the return leg of the 3rd qualifying round.
Time for the next draw and Boro have been seeded for this one as well, which means we avoid the likes of Chelsea and AC Milan amongst others.
The season opens with newly promoted Bolton coming to the Riverside. A game which we should have put to bed long before Bolton sneaked an equalizer. 1-1.
The next round of the UEFA Cup and Maritimo are the visitors, disappointed with the crowd mind you.
Fulham away and the Boro get hammered in the first half, 2-0 down and everybody is playing ****. I’ve tried cautious and standard so after the break I try counter and even though Fulham were still the better side, Niang scored 2 goals on the break and we scraped 2-2. Better start defensive positioning practice.
Away leg in Portugal and I’m a little nervous but Niang scores 2 goals in the first 13 minutes and the Boro are cruising.
Time for the Group Stage draw and the Boro have been seeded 4th, could be tough this. We are first out of the hat and into Group A.
View attachment 231890View attachment 231889View attachment 231888View attachment 231887
The month ends with a predictable defeat by Man Utd 2-0 at The Riverside. One day I might beat a big team (and pigs will fly)
Transfers in and out
View attachment 231896

Last edited:
SEPTEMBER 2014
Newcastle away and I must say we were a bit under the cosh for most of the game but I stuck to the counter approach and……
You may recall that I started this thread to avoid rage quitting. This has been a partial success since I haven’t deleted the files as yet, but I have quitted the game in various forms of fury when things aren’t going well in a match. Still, I load up again and try again (this however hasn’t happened so often either ! And the crowd stood up !)
First Group stage game against Lokomotiv Moscow and they were unfortunately too good for the Boro, defeat 2-1 and a few rude gestures at the computer screen.
Although I have 2 regen goalies, it’s always a little risky relying on them coming good in the future, so I signed Jack Butland for £1m from Birmingham (arrives 1st Jan)
I forgot to mention that the season goal is to finish in top half. I’m unsure if that is achievable but then again I’m never the optimist.
Reading at home are the opponents as we start our defence of the League Cup. A comfortable 4-0 win and the new signing Delev seems quite the assist king. Burnley away in the league and I’m unsure which approach to use. Are we good enough to use standard away or should I continue with my cautious football?
After just 3 minutes the standard approach was thrown out of the window (metaphorically speaking) when Burnley scored, so I changed to counter and wow - 4-1 to the Boro. Mind you the Burnley manager wants to look at the scoreline before he makes any ‘expert’ comments, don’t you think so?

Last edited:
OCTOBER 2014
I even forgot to name my partial points goal for the season, but by now the 2-3 people who read this thread will know that the first goal will be 10 points. A tally which we reached after winning against Villa at home 4-1. Niang is turning into a real goal machine, 8 goals in 7 games.
We played a UEFA Cup match a few days before and won comfortably (judged by the play and not the scoreline). Boro 1-0 Young Boys.
The next goal is of course 20 points. I think a final tally of 50 points should be enough for 10th spot but we shall see.
Next few games I’m wondering how we picked up points, West Brom were far better (0-0), Bordeaux ran rings round us (1-0 win to us) and Blackburn played like Barcelona (we won 4-2). I just don’t get any wiser with this game.
Last game in October is the League Cup 4th Round tie at Portsmouth, sounds difficult but poor old Pompey have dropped down into the old 3rd Division (League One soon to called the Prechampionship whilst the 4th Division aka League Two will be known as the Sinkingship). A comfortable 2-0 win and we are in the quarters with the big guns.

NOVEMBER 2014
League Cup Draw
View attachment 232542
Spurs come to visit and I have a very dire history against Tottenham, 1 draw and 4 defeats. Tottenham get a man sent off in the 2nd minute and score in the 90th to win 1-0. Time for this song again. Irish drinking song - ****** off - YouTube
Bordeaux away and the Boro somehow get a goalless draw and put themselves in a good position in the group
Next it’s Man City away and I can’t be arsed to watch it since we will probably get whopped. Full speed highlights and lots of rude expletives (and no my son isn’t at home, it’s his mams’ week)
Tees-Wear derby next and the Boro are coasting along 2-0 up when Sidi Kieta decides to leave his brain cell in the toilet at half time and get two yellows in the space of 5 milliseconds, Sunderland score from the resulting free kick and then it’s typical ‘backs to the walls’ Boro finish to a match. We won 2-1 but I felt like I wanted to give them the hair-drier treatment !
League Cup quarter finals next and Fulham are the visitors to the Riverside.
Liverpool, who are top, at Anfield and the game is decidedly one-sided. The Boro are in Liverpools half once in the first 20 minutes, and that was a mistake - Niang got confused and then decided to pass it backwards.
Of course we got beat, only 1-0 but attempted shots 20-5 tells are more realistic story.

DECEMBER 2014
December starts with a UEFA Cup match against Lokomotiv Moscow. We played better but let in a goal near the end and it finished 1-1. Surprisingly Bordeaux lost a 1-0 lead to 1-2 against Young Boys in Bordeaux and the Boro boys will be in the draw for the first knockout round !
The semi-final draw for the League Cup is next and we get Spurs (brilliant W0 D1 L5).
The league games roll on towards the hectic holiday period with a 1-1 draw against West Ham and a 2-0 win at home against Everton. I manage to get Ross Barkley from Everton for just £2.5m (signs on 1st Jan)
View attachment 232610
And then find Gerard Deulofeu on a free
View attachment 232611
A disappointing 3-3 draw against Watford away (Watford had only got one point from 15 games before we came along) but the Boro now have 23 points from 15 games. Next partial goal is 30.
Young Boys are the opponents in the last game of Group A and we play at the stadium with the charming name of Stade de Suisse Wankdorf, where we don’t want to know what they do with their dorfs !
We win the game 3-2, Niang scoring in the 95th minute, the lad scores two goals in the match, has a rating of 8.6 and when I say to him that I was delighted (passionately) , he loses focus. Honestly, what has SI done with the ****** team talks, they are totally unpredictable.

Fabian Himcinschi maybe on his way out, since Niang hasn’t been injured this season or gone through a bad patch (mind you that might start after the last team talk), there has been few opportunities for Sanogo , never mind Fabian. So of course I can’t blame the lad that he wants to play first team football.
And it’s confirmed, he’s off to Leicester for £500k plus clauses.

UEFA Cup First Knockout Round draw
View attachment 232605
A good satisfying comeback win at Stoke and Niang is in blistering form
View attachment 232604View attachment 232603
Hogan Ephraim is the next player who wants out and leaves to go to Brighton for £1.4m plus clauses. I don’t rotate squads too much, preferring to play in form players (when fit and morale is good) so the so called back-up players have to be very loyal and patient, if they aren’t, then they move on quite quickly.
On a worrying note, Niang wants a new contract but the negotiations have broken down, mainly because his agent is an impatient twit.

It’s Arsenal away and yet again we get hammered and don’t have a cat in hells chance and I feel a rage quit bubbling. Many years ago I played a football manager game called Ultimate Soccer Manager 98 and on that there was a button called ‘Instant Match’. You could use this when you were ****** off or when you didn’t want to watch a frustrating match where your team couldn’t win a one ticket raffle.
Right, after that rant, I can now go back to the match and see how many goals Arsenal scored. They scored 4 and we had one shot on target - Gee whizz baby, fan my flies !
December finishes with a **** performance against Bolton leaving the Boro in a reasonable position in the league…..

JANUARY 2015
FA Cup and my 3 new signings are in the squad. Deufoleu is straight in due to injuries and morale problems and Barkley and Butland get to sit on the bench. And what debuts, Deufoleu gets a brilliant assist and Barkley comes off the bench to score twice. Boro 5 Watford 1.
And in next round we get Man Utd at the Riverside. Thank you very much!
Have a really great chance when you look at the past meetings, eh?
Fulham come visiting and a comfortable 1-0 (if a 1-0 can be comfortable) for the lads. Now we have 32 points from 20 games and my next goal is 40.
League Cup semis first leg and Spurs come visiting. Don’t forget the Boro have only taken a point from Spurs in 6 games.
And when Falqué puts his header in After pogi's goal - YouTube
Man Utd in the league and oh how I wish I had that instant match button. Rooney scores early and I think I’ll go to the loo instead of watching. Should go to the loo more often as half time it’s 1-1.
The next game is Chelsea at home, the big games are coming thick and fast. A good game by the lads, we weren’t outplayed and a good 0-0 draw.
Newcastle next and 1-1 but again a good performance and Dragovic was so close to winning it at the end. Spurs in the next leg of the semi.
FA Cup 4th round ends in defeat 0-1 to Man Utd. Mind you we hit the woodwork twice but the Red Devils were better as usual.

Last edited:
There's something ****** annoying with some of my posts. Text enhance it's called, it underlines certain words and creates a link. It's nothing I've done I can assure you.

FEBRUARY 2015
Well I know that Barkley is a good player but what a start for the lad
Since losing Himcinschi to Leicester I’ve been looking for a back-up. Getting in a loanee is always a good choice since they never complain about the amount of appearance time.
The transfer window closes
View attachment 232876
A trip to Goodison Park and even though Everton were the better side TBHs’ cautious approach destroyed them 3-1. Haway the lads.
Aston Villa next away and Niang is on form again. 41 points from 25 games and now it’s 50 points we aim for.
Burnley at home next and a good performance again.
The next game is not quite the same pedigree as Burnley (no disrespect to Burnley), it’s AC Milan who come to the Riverside. Another great tight game against a top side (being a little sarcastic)
West Brom come to Middlesbrough and got well beat 3-0 and we are on a good streak. The next two games are huge, AC Milan away and Man Utd in the League Cup Final.
AC Milan of course 2-1 but the Boro had the same amount of shots on target and created 3 CCCs.

LEAGUE CUP FINAL
View attachment 232883
And we are at Wembley again
View attachment 232882
News before the match
View attachment 232887
The winner of course qualifies for the Europa League next year and unbelievably Boro are 6th in the Premiership and Man Utd are 7th. Both teams need this to get into Europe.
It’s Man Utd and an opponent whom I’ve never beaten, cautious approach ? But it’s the final and I take a risk and go for counter. Now we shall see.
After 2 minutes Man Utd take the lead. This is going to be a long match, still not as quickly as De Matteos goal way back in ’97. The Boro recover slightly and Haruna and Niang go close.

Bollocks 2-0 to Man Utd, both goals by a regen called Gebreselassie. Time to go to standard or control.

71st minute and Chris McCann misses an absolute sitter
78th minute and Delev is brought down in the area. PENALTY to Boro. Sanogo, who is on for Niang, steps up and does a rugby conversion - over the ****** bar. That must be it now, that was Boros chance surely.

80th minute and Sanogo is through again one-to-one on De Gea and the keeper saves.

84th minute and Boro are down to 10 men as Delev is carried off. P*** Off.

Match stats.
View attachment 232884

MARCH 2015
Back to the league and a trip down to London and Spurs. I still feel dispirited about the games against the top teams, Spurs had 23 attempts on goal to Boros 3. Total waste of space. When can I give these teams a match ?
Blackburn come to visit and they have a right back called Oh *** Seok. I would have changed my name mate if I was you. In regards to the match the Boro win 2-1 and stop a run of three straight defeats (albeit by top class sides). My next two games are Chelsea (away) and Man City (home). Can’t say I’m looking forward to playing them at all.
The Boro have however reached 50 points now after 29 games, we are presently in 6th but I don’t think we are that good, Europa league qualification seems a bit out of reach. The only hope is that Man Utd, who have already qualified and are in 7th position are the only team that goes above us and a top 5 team wins the FA Cup.
It seems the computer heard me and gave me these results instead.
And with Bolton vs Bristol C in the last quarter-final then my hopes lie with Liverpool.
There are no new points goals now, just get as many on the board as possible. Last season we got 62 points, so maybe try and do better than that.
The future looks quite bright mind you if you look at the potential of some of my U18 players.
I won’t bother telling the results against Chelsea or Man City unless we get something from those games.
Well after the inevitable thrashing we received, the morale is rock bottom, just in time for the Sunderland derby match.

APRIL 2015
The Youth team win Group 6 for second time in three years to brighten up my mood slightly.
Man Utd and Everton are my rivals for 6th place and Watford (the worst side in the division) are playing them in consecutive home games. I’ll have to send a bonus down to their players, as they beat Man Utd 3-1 and Everton 1-0.
Liverpool, the league leaders come visiting and what a surprise, the Boro are without a chance and lose 2-0. This is what the table looks like.
West Ham are the opponents and a trip down to the capital city. A very good performance, aided by West Hams’ appalling finishing. Win 2-0. Now we are sitting in 6th since Man Utd got beat earlier in the day.
View attachment 233042View attachment 233041
The Youth team do the double by beating Liverpool youth in the Cup !
View attachment 233040
Watford next and they are already relegated. Sometimes that is not an advantage, they can relax and play football.
Europa League is calling and maybe I get to eat my pessimistic words again.

Status
Not open for further replies.