Barca sign Mascherano

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 140
  • Views Views 7K
Sounds to me like L'Pool fans are writing off Roy in here before he's really got started. He's signed Poulsen who's a decent DM on the cheap, and he's being forced to sell other people like Mascherano and he's not gonna get much money from that at all. Give Roy a chance, he's worked on a small budget at Fulham and he's done well, of course at Fulham he didn't have idiots selling his players for awfully low prices but that's the way it goes, Roy knew that's the sort of **** he'd probably have to deal with when he signed the contract and he's doing his best.

Baird, Etuhu, Konchesky etc etc may not be 'Liverpool standard' players, but they did the job for Roy at Fulham in a team that reached a European final, who knows, they might do another good job for you if he does sign them.

All I'm saying is give him a chance, we're only just under 3 weeks into the Premier League season so far, give him time. Writing off a man that has many achievements to his name across the footballing world is naive at this current time in my opinion.

All the supporters I have spoken to are behind Roy.

All the supporters I have spoken to are behind Roy.
I'm judging by what I'm reading in here, saying 'he'll sign a poor replacement', and 'that Rafa would do better'.

I'm judging by what I'm reading in here, saying 'he'll sign a poor replacement', and 'that Rafa would do better'.

Rafa is a better manager, I'd rather have him at the club. Still want Roy to do well and I am fully backing him to.

Why do you even care? :S

Also Sociedad weren't a top 10 team when Alonso left, they finished in the bottom quarter of the table.

Please stay on topic!

Sorry i didnt bring up how Rafa brough an Unknown alonso and made more then double his money **** into this.

What a load of nonsense as usual, he played in the Champions League not the UEFA Cup! He was also a Spanish International as well, but I suppose this was before everyone drooled over them. :)

So he wasnt an unknown player in the slightest.,

No-one has said Rafa would have kept him.

Well, I've just been through the thread and a few were saying 'rafa would have fought harder and got more for him'. I agree he ultimately wouldn't have kept him, but Hodgson is definitely bent over a barrel right now to the extent that I doubt he has much of a say if they need to fire-sale players.

Well, I've just been through the thread and a few were saying 'rafa would have fought harder and got more for him'. I agree he ultimately wouldn't have kept him, but Hodgson is definitely bent over a barrel right now to the extent that I doubt he has much of a say if they need to fire-sale players.

Rafa would have fought harder and got more from him...

Its true about masch, he said his family dont like it in liverpool. I cant blame him if thats the reason, if his family are unhappy all the time when hes at home surely he would want to fix that. The problem i had was the 'I never want to play for liverpool again' situation. I thought he could have handled it with a lot more class, e.g. James Milner

Let's face it, we're a mid-table club now. We just don't have the money to compete at the top anymore. Mascherano is just the beginning. Next up will be Torres in January and Joe Cole at the end of the season. Loyalty don't mean squat while we're stuck with yank owners. Players are running away from us like we're a rotting carcass. The only ones we attract are those that no one else wants.

How the **** did we get into this position ? I'll tell you - short sighted greed on a previous owners' part & a criminal lack of research of D & D's financial position by the same individuals' advisors. It's too late now Mr. Moores - the club that you professed to love is on the rocks. Buy another Roller, it might deaden the pain.

Warning - Hicks and Gillett are bad for your health.

Guesstimation (a curious mix of fact and confirmed or best guess transfer figures):

NB - year here runs 1st August - 31st July.
NB - transfer fees tend to be spread over two or three seasons so we may or may not receive or pay a new fee in full upon a player's purchase or sale.
NB - add-ons which may or may not be paid out are not included. Signing on fees and agent fees are opaque and so may or may not be included within transfer fee.
NB - Ged left around £16.5m net on the tab to be paid off, Rafa left £14.3m net on the tab to be paid off. Currently Mr.Hodgson's tab seems to extend to £2.25m.
NB - In three full years of Hicks and Gillett, two have seen a net profit on transfer expenditure - if one assumes that the 06/07 net spend was completely down to them, with them as owners our current net spend in transfer fees is somewhere around £32m for five years (1st August 2006 to 31st July 2011). This figure is probably overly generous as an estimate (eg it currently has Mash as sold for £13.2m). By way of comparison, the last two full years of Moores as owner (1st August 2004 - 31st July 2006) saw us have a net spend of £33m. In those five years under which we've been owned in full or in part by Hicks and Gillett, we'll have paid an estimated £300m in interest and charges on debt whilst also seeing our debt as a club rise from c.£40m to close to £470m. When Liverpool were sold to Tom and George, the new stadium was costed at £250m.

In 09/10 we spent:
£19.65 million on new players
£35.504 million on players previously signed
£1.069 million of add-ons

Total = £56.223 million

We've got back at least:
£44.6 million for players sold
£22.126 million for players previously sold
£1.616 million of add-ons

Total = £66.342 million

Overall total = £10.119 million 'profit'

In 10/11 so far:
Spent on new players: £4.55m (one of Poulsen's two installments for a total of £4.5m included and Jones @£2.3m included in full)
Spent on existing players: £16.16m
Total spent = £20.71m

Received from sales: £17.44m (Cavalieri @£3m, Nemeth @£1.24m and Mash at 16m Euros/£13.2m to be confirmed).
Received from previous sales: £1.854m
Total received = £19.294m

Overall Total = £1.436 million spent

For 11/12:
Spent on existing players: £2.25m
Total spent = £2.25m

Overall Total = £2.25m spent

Not included: Sterling in 09/10 c.£1.5m?

So basically, there's been no 'investment' in the club, the buy of the club was purely to shove the debts onto the club itself while the club finances the interest payments?

When is this repayment agreement until?

this is one heated debate....o.O
i never really rated mascherano tbh, he was the Alonso replacement that never happened...or was that Aquilani...

So basically, there's been no 'investment' in the club, the buy of the club was purely to shove the debts onto the club itself while the club finances the interest payments?

That's the model of business the Glazers and Hicks and Gillett use. If the club is profitable enough, they might be able to pay off the debts as well as the interest and so effectively purchase the club for free at some point. Problem is that football clubs are rarely profitable enough to repay hundreds of millions of pounds on top of the interest repayments and charges without something having to give. I'd suggest no football club in the world is able to do this, Manchester United included.

When is this repayment agreement until?

The debt has been due for repayment several times since Hicks and Gillett took over. The banks who lent them the money have belatedly realised that there's sweet FA chance of the club being able to repay it so won't extend the loan beyond a few months at a time, and each time it gets extended the interest rate spirals upwards to reflect the risk to the banks. The next time the debt is scheduled to be repaid is October 6th.

Why would he sign for barca he wont get a game ahead of Xavi, Iniesta or Busquets and even if he does he definitly wont next year when they actually get Fabregas. Stupid move for Masch imo.

i never really rated mascherano tbh, he was the Alonso replacement that never happened...or was that Aquilani...

That was Aquilani. Masch has been there for a few years now, and has really established himself as one of the best defensive midfielders in the Premiership. Totally different to Xabi.

RB liked to play with 2 holding midfielders - Mascherano & Xabi were meant to play in tandem as these holding midfielders ( actually Xabi was a deep-lying playmaker ). They complemented each other brilliantly. When Xabi left it all went pear shaped for LFC, as his replacement was Lucas.

Aquilani was a puzzling buy because A: he is an advanced playmaker & B: he was crocked - a disastrous aquisition, as the captain's most effective position is......yes, advanced playmaker & therefore Xabi's replacement turned out to be the woefull Lucas. The result: LFC's worst season in most fan's living memory.

The only player I can think of off the top of my head who would play anywhere near the way Alonso did is Scott Parker, though not to his standerd obviously.

I DID rate Mascharano very highly,& still do, despite his unprofessionalism.

---------- Post added at 08:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:06 PM ----------

Why would he sign for barca he wont get a game ahead of Xavi, Iniesta or Busquets and even if he does he definitly wont next year when they actually get Fabregas. Stupid move for Masch imo.

Mascherano is WAY better than Busquets IMO, & it's the latter who'll be warming the bench at Nou Camp ( also IMO ). I think Machcherano is the best holding midfielder in the world & if he would only tighten up his short-passing game, to make use of the many tackles he makes, he'd be better still.

His ****** behaviour in no way negates his ability as a player.

PS: To get less than we paid for him is a F*****g disgrace as, despite Rafa's many faults, he made JM a better player.

Last edited:
Back