Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike.

Staff member
Reaction score
Barcelona's Sergio Busquets faces Uefa action over racist abuse claims
• Uefa responding to evidence supplied by Real Madrid
• Relates to incident in Champions League semi-final first leg

Barcelona's Sergio Busquets faces Uefa action over racist abuse claims | Football | guardian.co.uk

Jamie Jackson
guardian.co.uk, Thursday 12 May 2011 16.18 BST
Article history

Sergio Busquets will discover on Monday if he will miss Barcelona's Champions League final with Manchester United on 28 May after Uefa opened a disciplinary case against the midfielder regarding racist comments he allegedly directed at Marcelo during the semi-final first-leg victory over Real Madrid.

In a video posted on Real's website on the day before the second leg subtitles were provided which claimed to show Busquets calling Marcelo "mono, mono" (Spanish for "monkey, monkey") while he covered his mouth with his hands.

The incident was one of several in a controversial tie, won 3-1 on aggregate by Barcelona, with both clubs lodging complaints with Uefa following the first leg. Madrid were unhappy at the behaviour of the opposing players and the red card shown to Pepe during the first leg, while Barcelona protested over the Madrid coach José Mourinho's post-match comments.

These called into question the Catalan club's relationship with the European governing body. Claims of favouritism were dismissed, and Mourinho was handed a five-game European ban for his remarks.

The governing body said: "Uefa has opened disciplinary proceedings against Barcelona midfielder Sergio Busquets, who is alleged to have violated article 11 of the disciplinary regulations by directing racist abuse towards a Real Madrid player in the Uefa Champions League semi-final first leg between the clubs on 27 April.

"The proceedings have been launched on the basis of evidence provided by Real Madrid [a video plus the statements from the club and player]. The control and disciplinary body will deal with the case on 15 May and the decision will be communicated to the club on 16 May."

Was just about to post this, **** you Mike.

On topic: Deserved action, but both clubs have been a disgrace to themselves in the derbies with their antics, turning the "greatest fixture in the world" into a complete farce.

He should be suspended. And if he does, I really hope Real Madrid will stop whining.

Absolute disgrace if it's true (about the comments he made to Marcelo). I'm sure someone else will bring this up as well but considering all the chants directed towards Abidal & Dani Alves in the past, you'd think he'd have more respect.

He will be a big miss, the midfield is so much worse without him. His movement and passing is way better than Mascherano's (for Barcelona). I've never seen a ban given for something like this, trash-talking is really common on the field in places like Spain and Italy. It is funny that RM is complaining about this when they made monkey noises every time Alves touched the ball, but the whole thing is very typical of what the series turned into. FIFA was so stupid to schedule this tie and make two clubs that absolutely loathe each other play 4 times in two and a half weeks...the whole thing was bound to turn into contests full of diving, complaining, and general bitchiness. I thought it was a bad idea to begin with and I'm ****** at them for doing it. But they wanted to ensure an England vs. Spain final...lame.

3 of those games were unavoidable. They can't just move the Copa Del Rey final or Champions League semis so that Real Madrid and FC Barcelona won't play against each other too much.

It would be better for United if this fella played, he is ***** compared to Mascherano.

He will be a big miss, the midfield is so much worse without him. His movement and passing is way better than Mascherano's (for Barcelona). I've never seen a ban given for something like this, trash-talking is really common on the field in places like Spain and Italy. It is funny that RM is complaining about this when they made monkey noises every time Alves touched the ball, but the whole thing is very typical of what the series turned into. FIFA was so stupid to schedule this tie and make two clubs that absolutely loathe each other play 4 times in two and a half weeks...the whole thing was bound to turn into contests full of diving, complaining, and general bitchiness. I thought it was a bad idea to begin with and I'm ****** at them for doing it. But they wanted to ensure an England vs. Spain final...lame.

There's a big difference between trash talking and being racist. If what Busquets said is true he has overstepped the mark and should be banned, end of.

"It is funny that RM is complaining about this when they made monkey noises every time Alves touched the ball"

The fans I presume? If so, you mean after Alves got Pepe sent off, the fans booing him every time he touched the ball?

Oh yes...a sign of justice. He deserves to miss the final just for getting Motta sent off last season tbh.

There's a big difference between trash talking and being racist. If what Busquets said is true he has overstepped the mark and should be banned, end of.

"It is funny that RM is complaining about this when they made monkey noises every time Alves touched the ball"

The fans I presume? If so, you mean after Alves got Pepe sent off, the fans booing him every time he touched the ball?

Anything said in a game to another player is trash-talk to get under the skin of the other play...I doubt Busquets is actually racist. He may be a complete tool but I doubt he's a racist considering the fact that he's played with blacks his whole life (and Marcelo doesn't even have that much African blood in him). It's like what Materazzi said to Zidane, it's not like he actually meant it, he was just trying to wind up Zidane (and succeeded). Anyway, all I was saying is that it would be the first time I've seen a ban given for a remark made to another player in game, since the worst kind of trash talk always happens on the field. In that sense, I think it would be pretty unfair, unless UEFA says they are clamping down on remarks made on the field from player to player.

Yes the fans, it was well-reported that they made monkey noises whenever he touched the ball. Sadly this happens a lot in Spain and especially Italy.

A similar incident happened in the Korea vs. Japan match in the AFC Asian Cup. Korea and Japan (who hate each other intensely) played a match, and when one of the Korean players scored he went up to the camera and started making monkey gestures and noises. There are monkeys on some of the Japanese islands and Koreans sometimes use this in making racial remarks about the Japanese. No action was taken, however, which surprised me a bit. But anyway, if they don't do anything about going right up to the camera and doing something like that, I don't see how they could fairly Busquets for saying it on the field to another player.

But having said that Barca had luck with the officiating against Real Madrid so few will complain if this does happen.

If he made a racist jibe, he deserves the ban. that simple

Anything said in a game to another player is trash-talk to get under the skin of the other play...I doubt Busquets is actually racist. He may be a complete tool but I doubt he's a racist considering the fact that he's played with blacks his whole life (and Marcelo doesn't even have that much African blood in him). It's like what Materazzi said to Zidane, it's not like he actually meant it, he was just trying to wind up Zidane (and succeeded). Anyway, all I was saying is that it would be the first time I've seen a ban given for a remark made to another player in game, since the worst kind of trash talk always happens on the field. In that sense, I think it would be pretty unfair, unless UEFA says they are clamping down on remarks made on the field from player to player.

Yes the fans, it was well-reported that they made monkey noises whenever he touched the ball. Sadly this happens a lot in Spain and especially Italy.

A similar incident happened in the Korea vs. Japan match in the AFC Asian Cup. Korea and Japan (who hate each other intensely) played a match, and when one of the Korean players scored he went up to the camera and started making monkey gestures and noises. There are monkeys on some of the Japanese islands and Koreans sometimes use this in making racial remarks about the Japanese. No action was taken, however, which surprised me a bit. But anyway, if they don't do anything about going right up to the camera and doing something like that, I don't see how they could fairly Busquets for saying it on the field to another player.

But having said that Barca had luck with the officiating against Real Madrid so few will complain if this does happen.

What the **** does that have to do with anything? He has black/dark(er) skin, a comment was made about that which is obviously racist. It's irrelevant which bit of Africa he's from or WHY he has black skin ffs.

Right so - no action was taken in a game between Korea and Japan, who, not being in Europe, have ****** all to do with UEFA but that means that Busquets shouldn't be banned? There's winding people up and there's banter and then there's being racist. It's not funny and it's not clever, nor is it an appropriate way to wind up another player.

The referee on the night has nothing to do with a retrospective ban for Busquets - the incident is separate to red cards that were and weren't shown for diving, fouling or whatever it might be.

---------- Post added at 11:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:30 PM ----------

Forgot to add - If Biscuits is found guilty, he could face a 5 match suspension.

Racist **** deserves a ban, period. Good for Marcelo not to react, I would've given him a good ole' legbreaker as soon as I had the chance.

he deserves being ban. the el classio is now like a battle ground with divers and unfair refferring.

Deserves ban if found guilty. Simple as that. Funny that someone is even bothered to defend the act. Good thing was Marcelo didn't chokeslam bsicuits. He kept his cool.

If found guilty, will he be banned for finals?

Yes, I think he would be banned for the final if they ban him in time.

Thanks Joss but what I was asking was if found guilty will he get banned from finals(Means will the decision be made before 28th) . Hope he gets the ban..

Decision made on Monday.. Case being seen on Sunday.

Can't believe Curtis is trying to defend this. If he's been racist, he deserves a ban. Really simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.