Barcelona's Sergio Busquets faces Uefa action over racist abuse claims

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually the camera moved to Rooney, who swore into it.

No its not, the rule exists for conduct ON THE FIELD. The cameras caught him racially abusing a player ON THE FIELD. He broke the rules, done. And yes you can punish them for that. You cannot racially abuse a player, no matter how you try and play it, whether its a wind up or not.

Hope he gets the 5 match ban

Rooney went up to the camera as well and intentionally swore into it.

But where do you draw the line? How about misogynist/homophobic comments?

I say fine him one million pounds but don't remove him from such an important game for it. For the reasons I stated before I think Rooney deserved more punishment than Busquets (even though what Busquets did is much worse), but if it happened in the CL semi-final I'd say fine him and not the CL final. Take him out of a league game, fine, but not a CL final.

I honestly don't care. I really don't think Busquets is racist, he was obviously trying to wind up a player on a hated rival (and as I said before, he isn't very black). He is a complete tool though, as are many players in football (on both teams), but I don't care about their character, I care about the spectacle. That's why I watch the sport.

Wind up or not, it's a racial slur that deserves to be punished. And 'how black he is' shouldn't matter.

Seriously, Barcelona aren't screwed without Busquets. Mascherano is just as good a player and will add something different. No one knows how it will work against United.

They are much worse and less entertaining without him. And they will lose for sure now that he will be out.

---------- Post added at 03:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:35 PM ----------

Yes but racism is unacceptable at any levels, doesn't matter if it wasn't at the camera, if you are racist you deserve a big punishment as it needs to be stamped out the game and it really doesn't help if the players start doing it aswell.

How about misogyny? Homophobia? The problem is it is inconsistent. When else has this happened? And retroactively? Using hi-def cameras to figure out what someone is saying?

I say fine him one million pounds but don't remove him from such an important game for it. For the reasons I stated before I think Rooney deserved more punishment than Busquets (even though what Busquets did is much worse), but if it happened in the CL semi-final I'd say fine him and not the CL final. Take him out of a league game, fine, but not a CL final.

thats not how the rules work. he chose to racially abuse a player in the semi final he misses the next game, a final. that will teach him not to do again. You dont just bend the rules becuase he misses a big game. Tough ******* ******* on him. And i would say the same if a united player did it.

And if you think what Rooney did deserved more punishment your priorites are seriously mixed up

They are much worse and less entertaining without him. And they will lose for sure now that he will be out.

---------- Post added at 03:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:35 PM ----------

How about misogyny? Homophobia? The problem is it is inconsistent. When else has this happened? And retroactively? Using hi-def cameras to figure out what someone is saying?

And where is your evidence for that statement? You can say they won't win just as easily as I can say they will win 54-1.

its very rare to catch a player doing it. its generally the crowd who are recorded. and homophobia would get you banned too btw

Any sort of comment, be it homophobic, racist or whatever, is simply not acceptable in any form, and deserves punishment. Why make the the comments in the first place? If I made those sort of comments in the workplace, I would fully deserve to get a form of severe punishment/lose my job, because it is simply unacceptable in any walk of life. Simple as. If an Everton player did it, I would be absolutely disgusted, and would expect that player to get the same punishment, simply because it is deserved. It's the ultimate form of ignorance and narrow-mindedness.

Last edited:
Any sort of comment, be it homophobic, racist or whatever, is simply not acceptable in form, and deserves punishment. Why make the the comments in the first place? If I made those sort of comments in the workplace, I would fully deserve to get a form of severe punishment/lose my job, because it is simply unacceptable in any walk of life. Simple as. If an Everton player did it, I would be absolutely disgusted, and would expect that player to get the same punishment, simply because it is deserved. It's the ultimate form of ignorance and narrow-mindedness.

If a united player did it, i would roundly boo his every touch. I suspect rio would "have a word" with him too

If a united player did it, i would roundly boo his every touch. I suspect rio would "have a word" with him too

Definately wouldn't be a quiet word either lol. It's just a shame that these sort of comments in some place are very acceptable. I thought humans had evolved. I definately think its a case where educating children or people is required, or once again, it's just going to fan the flames of hatred that we've seen in the past, and it'll get much much worse again.

Again, this is why I said he can't complain if he's punished, you commit a foul you get the crime. However, I think I'm against the punishment because it's inconsistent, and you don't want to see someone banned from the CL final for a comment made in the heat of the moment. It's one thing to get punished for an act in game, like a foul, but a comment?

I was hoping someone would bring this up. Rooney intentionally went up to the camera and swore, and I agree with a one match ban (two is harsh). This is entirely different than something said on the field. Players will inevitably say terrible stuff on the field: swearing, misogynist comments, homophic comments, etc. mostly to wind up the opposition players. But you can't punish them for that. It happens all of the time and it's impossible to police, and in some of the cases, it's hard for the players to control their words. You're going to swear in these situations. And in Spanish, for example, much of the swearing is misogynist. Hijo de puta, la puta que te pario, la concha de tu madre, etc. So should we ban them for that? Would be a horrible idea.

Anything that you go up intentionally to the camera and do in front of millions you deserve a ban for because it's ******* retarded and you can control it. If Busquets went up to the camera and said something racist into it, than he would deserve a two-year ban. You can quote me on that.

In my opinion, anything a player says on the pitch they should be accountable for. They know it's being watched by millions, so it's just as bad wherever they say it - the cameras will always pick up on it. The players know this too, so it doesn't make a difference whether it's said near a camera or not as it'll be broadcast worldwide anyway. Just my 2 cents, I know neither of us will change our mind and I don't have the typing speed to get in a debate :p

And you complain about UEFA being inconsistent, my God. How can you not give a punishment if it's the CL final or not, punishment is punishment, seriously. What about Darren Fletcher? ..

And how can you POSSIBLY say that saying '****' is worst than racially abusing someone. If someone said **** in the worst place, nothing much would be made. If someone was caught racially abusing someone, they would be out of a job. It doesn't matter what you intended to be picked up. You shouldn't do it. I really, really can't believe that you're saying Rooney is worst because he intentionally swore into a camera than racial abuse. Are we living on different planets, here?

Guardiola likes Busquets, probably because they are very similar players with similar careers. Busquets works well with their system and Mascherano doesn't (yet).
Yeah, agree with this, Mascherano still didn't pass all of his exams in Diving school...

Joke aside, What's the highest ban he could geT?

I was so disappointed to hear such things take place in an El Clasico- a match where i thought the very best of football would be brought out, just shows that no matter how many banners we are putting out tellling people to stop being racist in football, its still there and at the highest level

"****, What, ****" >>>>.. "Racial abuse".

Jeez some people argue just for the heck of it.

Wind up or not, it's a racial slur that deserves to be punished. And 'how black he is' shouldn't matter.

This.

Curtis - I really don't understand your argument about Busquets. He made a racist comment to Marcelo, who one way or another, is black but you say he isn't racist and it's just a wind-up? Clearly he was racist and whether he does it on a regular basis shouldn't matter, nor should whether Marcelo comes from Africa but plays for Brazil and has largely white or black skin. Just because he's mixed race it doesn't mean it isn't racist ffs.

You're being completely hypocritical. "He can't complain if he gets banned, so I'll complain for him" seems to be your trend here.

Also - If anything; Rooney's swear-gate was far more "in the heat of the moment" --> Scoring a hat-trick and celebrating, or walking up to a black player in a football match and calling him a monkey - which is more planned, and which is more in the heat of the moment do you think? The cameras picked up Busquets' racism in the same way they picked up Rooney swearing and Baird sticking two fingers up at the referee the other day. None of them thought: "There's a camera, I'll go and get myself a fine" but they broke the rules and whether it's a CL final shouldn't matter. It's also not UEFA's place to tell him that because it's a CL final, and it happened in a European Competition, he should be banned for one La Liga game when they've already won the league.

He deserves everything he gets and you shouldn't be trying to protect him.

thats not how the rules work. he chose to racially abuse a player in the semi final he misses the next game, a final. that will teach him not to do again. You dont just bend the rules becuase he misses a big game. Tough ******* ******* on him. And i would say the same if a united player did it.

And if you think what Rooney did deserved more punishment your priorites are seriously mixed up

But the problem is that they never ban people retroactively by lip-reading their comments made in-game. It would be inconsistent and unprecedented.

Rooney does deserve more punishment because he went right up into the camera and swore at it. If he said **** on the field, of course he wouldn't receive punishment. That's my point. If Busquets went into the camera and made a racist remark, he would deserve a two-year ban. But he didn't.

And where is your evidence for that statement? You can say they won't win just as easily as I can say they will win 54-1.

If you want I'll post a thread on why, but there is no way they will win that game. I bet 9 times out of 10 they would win, but that won't be the result on May 28th.

its very rare to catch a player doing it. its generally the crowd who are recorded. and homophobia would get you banned too btw

But that's the thing, it happens all of the time, especially homophobic remarks. I can't even count how many times I've seen players say "puto," but no one ever gets banned for it. And you lip-read hijo de puta, la puta que te pario, la concha de tu madre, etc. etc. 50 times a game. All I'm saying is that it's inconsistent. If you punish Busquets for this, you have to start punishing people for those remarks too. Which would never happen.

Any sort of comment, be it homophobic, racist or whatever, is simply not acceptable in any form, and deserves punishment. Why make the the comments in the first place? If I made those sort of comments in the workplace, I would fully deserve to get a form of severe punishment/lose my job, because it is simply unacceptable in any walk of life. Simple as. If an Everton player did it, I would be absolutely disgusted, and would expect that player to get the same punishment, simply because it is deserved. It's the ultimate form of ignorance and narrow-mindedness.

If you didn't get a sale and yelled "****!" at the top of your lungs in the middle of your office, you would probably get fired. But you can do this in football, the standards are different. My only point is that they never ban players for remarks made on the field, especially retroactively, and that doing so is inconsistent.

Definately wouldn't be a quiet word either lol. It's just a shame that these sort of comments in some place are very acceptable. I thought humans had evolved. I definately think its a case where educating children or people is required, or once again, it's just going to fan the flames of hatred that we've seen in the past, and it'll get much much worse again.

That's the problem with football in places like Spain and Italy, the trash-talk is constant, they're constantly trying to wind you up. But it is never punished, until now.

In my opinion, anything a player says on the pitch they should be accountable for. They know it's being watched by millions, so it's just as bad wherever they say it - the cameras will always pick up on it. The players know this too, so it doesn't make a difference whether it's said near a camera or not as it'll be broadcast worldwide anyway. Just my 2 cents, I know neither of us will change our mind and I don't have the typing speed to get in a debate :p

Perhaps, but the thing is it's absolutely unenforceable and nothing ever comes of it. If the ref hears it and decides to punish the player for it, cool. But using cameras to punish someone retroactively over remarks made in the middle of the game? Never been done before, and punishing someone would be inconsistent. Most importantly, you can't be 100% sure about lip-reading. He probably did say mono, but can we be 100% sure? What if he said 'no no!' I just think it opens up a can of worms if we start retroactively punishing people by lip-reading their comments made in the middle of the game. If FIFA decides they want to start actively doing this every game and getting rid of these kinds of remarks, more power to them. But they're not, they're just doing it to one player.

And you complain about UEFA being inconsistent, my God. How can you not give a punishment if it's the CL final or not, punishment is punishment, seriously. What about Darren Fletcher? ..

And how can you POSSIBLY say that saying '****' is worst than racially abusing someone. If someone said **** in the worst place, nothing much would be made. If someone was caught racially abusing someone, they would be out of a job. It doesn't matter what you intended to be picked up. You shouldn't do it. I really, really can't believe that you're saying Rooney is worst because he intentionally swore into a camera than racial abuse. Are we living on different planets, here?

What about Darren Fletcher?

Yet as I have said over and over again, Rooney didn't get punished for saying ****. You can miss a shot and yell "****!" and it's not a big deal. The problem was that he went up to the camera and swore into it so everyone could see it. Obviously there is not much wrong with saying ****, and making racist remarks are a million times worse, but all I'm saying is that I don't know about using cameras to lip-read and retroactively punish people.

As far as consistency goes, they never have punished a player retroactively by lip-reading comments he made in game to another player. How is that consistent? And why no punishment for the monkey gestures that the Korean player made right in front of the camera?

And back to Rooney's remarks, it was retarded that they gave him a two-game ban for it, making him miss the FA Cup semi-final. They should have only given him a one-game ban so he'd miss the league game, which is what I said all along. It's not good to make a player miss an extremely important game because of something that didn't even happen in-game.

I was so disappointed to hear such things take place in an El Clasico- a match where i thought the very best of football would be brought out, just shows that no matter how many banners we are putting out tellling people to stop being racist in football, its still there and at the highest level

That was the problem with UEFA giving us 4 superclasicos in 19 days...was the worst idea they've come up with in years and was a big set-back for the game. A lot of people just getting into the sport in the states watched it and were disgusted by the diving, play-acting, complaining, etc. I bet many will never watch the sport again.

"****, What, ****" >>>>.. "Racial abuse".

Jeez some people argue just for the heck of it.

...or you could actually listen to what the person has to say. As I've said a million times, Rooney wasn't punished for saying ****. Saying **** isn't a big deal. It's going right up to the camera and saying it. Racial abuse is obviously a million times worse than swearing, which is why if Busquets made a racial remark to the camera, he would deserve a two-year ban. Maybe even more. But the fact of the matter is it was an in-game comment that they are examining by using video evidence to lip-read what he said. Never been done before. If FIFA wants to start making a serious effort to police this type of behavior, good for them, but they won't. They will make this one punishment because Real Madrid complained, talk about how strongly they are against racism, and never do anything about all of the sexist and homophobic comments that are made in every single game.

This.

Curtis - I really don't understand your argument about Busquets. He made a racist comment to Marcelo, who one way or another, is black but you say he isn't racist and it's just a wind-up? Clearly he was racist and whether he does it on a regular basis shouldn't matter, nor should whether Marcelo comes from Africa but plays for Brazil and has largely white or black skin. Just because he's mixed race it doesn't mean it isn't racist ffs.

Not part of my argument, it was a side-comment. I can't stand Busquets because he is a douche and a diver. I personally don't think he's racist though (and that's what people in the other thread said), obviously any in-game comment is to wind someone up. If he were racist he would go up and say that to Lass, who actually is black. Racism is the belief that some races are biologically superior to others, and referring to blacks as monkeys is implying that they are a less evolved race or something like that. If you think that blacks are a worse race, than you wouldn't really feel strongly about someone that only had a bit of black blood in him. If it turns out that he actually is racist and it wasn't a wind-up comment, than that makes him even worse of a person and I'd hate him even more. Either way, he is bad person because trying to wind someone up racially is very poor sportsmanship. Which is why he can't really complain if he gets taken out for the final.

You're being completely hypocritical. "He can't complain if he gets banned, so I'll complain for him" seems to be your trend here.

No. He can't complain about getting banned because if you make a racist remark and get punished you can't really complain. I'm not complaining, all I'm doing is saying that punishing him is inconsistent and I personally don't think they should punish him. Is stating your opinion complaining? If they do punish him and decide to make a concerted effort to film the players in game and punish them for the remarks they make on the field, than more power to them, but they won't. They'll just punish him this one time, righteously pat themselves on the back, and never do anything about it again. That's inconsistent. I'd rather see them either not do anything at all about it or make a serious effort to police the players' words on the field. Either one of those choices would be consistent.

Also - If anything; Rooney's swear-gate was far more "in the heat of the moment" --> Scoring a hat-trick and celebrating, or walking up to a black player in a football match and calling him a monkey - which is more planned, and which is more in the heat of the moment do you think? The cameras picked up Busquets' racism in the same way they picked up Rooney swearing and Baird sticking two fingers up at the referee the other day. None of them thought: "There's a camera, I'll go and get myself a fine" but they broke the rules and whether it's a CL final shouldn't matter. It's also not UEFA's place to tell him that because it's a CL final, and it happened in a European Competition, he should be banned for one La Liga game when they've already won the league.

I agree with some of this, but the cameras picking up Busquets' racism and Rooney's swearing where completely different, which is why they punished Rooney for swearing (when they never punish players for swearing). People swear and make homophobic, misogynist, and racist remarks all of the time on the field. The football authorities have decided that since this is inevitable and unenforceable they won't do anything about it. If you're dumb enough to go right up to the camera and swear into it, than yeah, you should get punished. But since it's not even a foul, don't take him out of an important game for it. Take him out for a league game, and if the next game is really important, than fine him instead. It's stupid to take a player out of an important game for something he said, which is why they should have given Rooney a one-game suspension and not two. Had Rooney done that in the CL semi-final it would be horrible if they banned him for the final. Since you don't want to ban a player from the CL final for something they said, make him pay a big fine. As far as Busquets goes, no one ever gets punished retroactively by using cameras to lip-read comments they made in game to another player...it is inconsistent. So I think they should fine him as opposed to make him miss such a big game.

He deserves everything he gets and you shouldn't be trying to protect him.

FFS when did I defend him?????? All I'm saying is that they should be consistent. Either they start to actually use cameras to punish the players for the comments they make in game, or they shouldn't at all. Don't turn this into a "he's not on the side of the people punishing racism so he's wrong and a racist!" type of discussion. But as I've said plenty of times, if/when he's banned for the final, I'm not going to complain about it. I'm just stating my opinion that they are being inconsistent about this.

He's been cleared of this charge. He will face Manchester United at Wembley if selected by coach Pep Guardiola.

Was about to post the same news. Nevermind.. Beware Carrick/Fletcher/Rooney..

Status
Not open for further replies.