Becks to the Future - A David Beckham Story

Status
Not open for further replies.
images

PORTER SHOCK LEAVES BECKS WITH DILEMMA

images

(Caleb Porter being interviewed this week)

Portland Timbers Head Coach Caleb Porter has today temporarily stepped down from his role at the club, citing personal reasons for his shock decision, leaving owner David Beckham facing his first tough task since buying the club.

Porter has been in charge of the Oregon club since the beginning of April, after he left his post with American Under 23s and has led them to 6th place in the Western Conference. Following the recent takeover, Porter received the backing from new owner David Beckham that his job was safe and would receive the necessary tools to help the club compete in all competitions.
After the good draw with LA Galaxy, he led 'The Timber's' to 10 points from a possible 15 with wins against Chivas, home and away, plus a fine victory over FC Dallas and a hard earned draw with Toronto FC. But following the disappointing home loss to Philadelphia, Porter called a meeting with David Beckham to inform the former England and Manchester United star, that he is struggling with health problems and needs some time away from the game.

" Caleb came to me after the last home game and told me he needs to get away from
football, as he has some private issues that need resolving and he needs to clear his head.
Of course I granted Caleb his wish and I hope he makes a speedy recovery and he knows that
we are here for him and his family.
I am now faced with a difficult decision to make, as on the field we are in a fantastic position to challenge for
a playoff place and we need to continue our recent fine performances.
We will keep you informed of our next steps once we have them in place. "

Porter's shock announcement has come at a time when Portland face three games in ten days and the supporters will be hoping a new man will be in place before the away game against New York Red Bulls on Sunday, to help continue their recent fine form and make the final push that their new owner craves.

images

DAVID BECKHAM PRESS CONFERENCE

images

SKY SPORTS PRESENTER: " Welcome back. We can now go live to Portland, Oregon and find
out more on the search for Portland Timbers's new manager. "

PORTLAND TIMBER'S PA: " Good Morning all. Thank you for gathering here for the
latest news on our search for a replacement for Caleb Porter. Mr Beckham will now update
you. "

DAVID BECKHAM: " Before I inform you of the decision made on who will take the club forward in
Caleb's absence, I just want to update you on his situation. Caleb is currently under going treatment
for depression and is reacting well to it. He is very keen to get back to managemant and we will
sit down with him at the end of the season and discuss the best way to handle it.
With the news that Caleb will be coming back in some capacity, I felt it would be wrong to bring
in someone to replace, even on a temporary basis, from outside the club. So I have spoken with
the other board members and we have decided that I will take charge of the team for the remainder
of the season, that way we keep the continuity within the club, allowing for a smooth transition with
me knowing the club inside out.
I'm sure you have some questions, so I will now answer them. "

REPORTER: " Why did you decide to take on the role? As surely their would be some
of the coaching staff that would've been interested. "

DAVID BECKHAM: " Sure, that's a good point. But with Caleb returning after his treatment, the
board, myself and the backroom team feel it would be easier for me to step down, due to my other
commitments as owner of the team, rather than a coach step in and the situation made more
difficult if that coach performed good or bad. So we thought let everyone on the backroom team keep
doing the fantastic job they are and I would take on the position of Head Coach. "

REPORTER: " Does this mean then we could see you look to get into management in the future? "

DAVID BECKHAM: " Haha, I've said in the past that once I finished playing, that would be it for
me being involved in football, but as you and I well know anything can happen. For now I'm enjoying
being owner of this wonderful club and am not looking any further ahead than helping the team out
for the last few months of the season. "

REPORTER: " You have a big game at New York at the weekend. Will you be in charge for that? "

DAVID BECKHAM: " Yes, I will be taking my first training session after this and the New York game
will be my first in charge. We are in with a great chance of reaching the MLS playoffs, so it's best
we resolved this situation quickly, so we can continue our fine form of late. "

SKY SPORTS PRESENTER: " So there you have it, David Beckham has taken his first steps into
management, all be it on a short term basis while Caleb Porter is on leave, and Beckham will be in
charge for Portland's big game at New York Red Bulls at the weekend. "

images

AUGUST 2012

soccerhipster.png

(A passionate Timers fan)

MLS
SUNDAY 19th AUGUST 2012
RED BULL ARENA

NEW YORK (1 - 2) PORTLAND
Jose Adolfo Valencia(2)

Very happy and pleased with how my first game in charge went today. The lads continued their recent
fine form and young Colombian forward Valencia, showed the potential he has with two fine goals.

MLS
SATURDAY 25th AUGUST 2012
JELD-WEN FIELD

PORTLAND (3 - 0) VANCOUVER
Jose Adolfo Valencia, Ryan Johnson, Diego Valeri

The players performed brilliantly today, as we dominated the game from the start to finish and
played some quality football in periods too.

MLS
FRIDAY 31st AUGUST 2012
JELD-WEN FIELD

PORTLAND (1 - 0) COLORADO
Darlington Nagbe, Hanyer Mosquera Sent Off

Fantastic win today and we showed the great team spirit that has been built within the squad. Despite
being down to 10 men, we ground out a win thanks to a sensational solo goal by Darlington Nagbe.

Last edited:
Good so far mate, the detail in your story is great!

Thank you mate, really appreciate the comment. Pleased you are enjoying it. :)

Some credit for the layout must go to TicTactition, as I've used some of his ideas to help mine look good. :)

Last edited:
images

SEPTEMBER 2012

images

(A packed out JELD-WEN FIELD)

MLS
WEDNESDAY 5th SEPTEMBER 2012
****'S SPORTING GOODS PARK

COLORADO (1 - 3) PORTLAND
Jose Adolfo Valencia, Mikael Silvestre, Darlington Nagbe

Some superb attacking football sealed a comfortable win today, as we beat Colorado in
the return fixture. It was great having centre back Mikael Silvestre back in thedefence this evening,
as his experience will be vital to the other players.

MLS
SATURDAY 15th SEPTEMBER 2012
JELD-WEN FIELD

PORTLAND (2 - 0) SEATTLE
Ryan Johnson, Rodney Wallace

Excellent performance again by the players and the game was won by half time, as we went in at
the break two up. If we continue with this form, we could challenge LA Galaxy at the top of the league,
but for now I will ensure the squad keep their feet firmly on the ground and stay focused for the
remaining games.

MLS
TUESDAY 18th SEPTEMBER 2012
BUCK SHAW STADIUM

SAN JOSE (1 - 4) PORTLAND
Diego Valeri(2), Ryan Johnson(2)

What an away performance! I'm speechless with how well we played this afternoon. The team is
really playing at the top of their game and I couldn't be more proud.

MLS
SATURDAY 22nd SEPTEMBER 2012
RIO TINTO STADIUM

REAL SALT LAKE (1 - 2) PORTLAND
Ryan Johnson, Diego Valeri(pen)

Great character shown by the lads today, as we came back from behind to win. We kept fighting
for every ball and with the fantastic noise created by our fans, was definately a factor in helping the
team to keep believing and it paid off in the end.

MLS
SATURDAY 29th SEPTEMBER 2012
JELD-WEN FIELD

PORTLAND (5 - 2) D.C UNITED
Diego Valeri(3), Darlington Nagbe, Will Johnson

Unbelievable performance, yet again. Diego Valeri showed today what a key player he is to the team
with a sensational midfield display and he bagged himself a great hat-trick. This win has brought us within
touching distance of top spot, as we have lifted ourselves from 6th to 2nd place.

images

OCTOBER 2012

images

(Players showing their team unity)

MLS
SUNDAY 7th OCTOBER 2012
CENTURYLINK FIELD

SEATTLE (0 - 0) PORTLAND

Disappointing to draw today, as I feel we were the better team. On the positive though we
kept a clean sheet and stretched our unbeaten run to ten games.

MLS
SUNDAY 21st OCTOBER 2012
BC PLACE

VANCOUVER (0 - 3) PORTLAND
Ryan Johnson(2), Jose Adolofo Valencia

We were simply superb today, especially after a long flight to Canada to play the game, could've
caused some fatigue issues, but the players continued their fine run of form and this win
puts us firmly in 2nd place in the league.

MLS
SATURDAY 27th OCTOBER 2012
JELD-WEN FIELD

PORTLAND (2 - 1) SAN JOSE
Ryan Johnson, Chris Taylor,
Will Johnson Sent Off

Going into this evenings game, we knew if we won our match and LA Galaxy lost, we would be
crowned champions. The squad did their job and deservedly got the three points required of them,
but LA Galaxy scraped a draw, meaning we finish second.

View attachment 339640View attachment 339641

Finishing in the top three means we have qualified for the MLS Cup, which would involve a semi final and final played over two legs. We have been drawn against FC Dallas, with the first leg to be played at the FC Dallas Stadium, then the return leg at JELD-WEN Field four days later.

images

PORTER TO MAKE RETURN TO FIRST TEAM ROLE

images

(Caleb Porter taking training last night)

ESPN understands that Portland Timbers Head Coach Caleb Porter is in line to make a sensational return from illness and take charge of the team for this Sunday's game against FC Dallas.

Porter had been signed off for the past three months with depression, leaving first team duties to owner David Beckham, who in his absence has lead 'The Timbers' to second place in the MLS and qualification for the MLS Cup this weekend. Beckham, who has publicly stated that he would welcome back Caleb Porter with open arms, has mixed feelings about Porter's return to the dugout.

" I'm delighted Caleb has made a full, speedy recovery and as I said his role would be
waiting for him when he returns and if he feels he is ready for the game on Sunday, then I'll
vacate his seat.
On the other hand I've really enjoyed being back in and around the dressing room
and back out on the training pitch with the lads, so I will miss the daily interaction that goes with
being a manager and that's something I never thought I'd say. "

With an unbeaten three month spell in temporary charge for Portland Timbers Owner David Beckham, and the surprise reaction that he really enjoyed his time in charge, could this be the start of another chapter in the Beckham's already high profile career and if it is, many supporters and followers will be wondering if he will carry on owning the club he has only recently purchased or will he look to sell and pursue a career in management!

Before all the potential speculation that will surround Beckham's recent comments begin, he will be keen to see how his team and returning manager do on Sunday, when they visit FC Dallas in the first leg of the MLS Western Conference semi final.

MLS - WESTERN CONFERENCE SEMI FINAL - 1st LEG
SUNDAY 4th NOVEMBER 2012
FC DALLAS STADIUM

FC DALLAS (1 - 0) PORTLAND

Not the start Caleb or myself planned and to make matters worse we were terrible, as the
players put in their worst performance so far since I bought the club.

MLS - WESTERN CONFERENCE SEMI FINAL - 2nd LEG
THURSDAY 8th NOVEMBER 2012
JELD-WEN FIELD

PORTLAND (0 - 2) FC DALLAS

Hmm maybe I will retract my last match report, as we were rubbish today. We couldn't even string two passes
together and had no urgency to our play.

Unfortunately the fans started to make their feelings known and they started to turn on Caleb towards
the end of the game.

It was a real shame to hear the discontent from certain sections of the crowd, especially as the team finished in the highest ever league position and some of the performances they have produced this season has been of a high quality and this can only put the club in good shape for the future.

Excellent mate looks like the pressure is on Caleb though! A return for Beckham?...

Awesome story.. already lots of interesting things going on

images

READING AND CELTA TARGET BECKS

images

(What does the future hold for Beckham?)

The Daily Mail understands that Premier League side Reading and Spanish Primera Division outfit Celta Vigo are both keen in talking to Portland Timbers owner David Beckham, who's current contract is due to run out next week.

Following his hugely successful temporary spell in charge of the club he owns, Beckham, who has recently indicated that he could be set to start a new career in management, has attracted interest from Reading and Celta Vigo following the sackings of Brian McDermott and Abel Resino respectively .

Both teams who are languishing near the bottom of their current divisions have shown their interest in Becks, after he went on a three month unbeaten run in the MLS, leading Portland to their highest ever final league standing, before handing back the reins to Head Coach Caleb Porter after he returned from his spell away from the game.

With the end of the current MLS season upon us, speculation is mounting that Beckham could be set to sell the Oregon club he bought midway through the year and make the move into full time management, but whether it will be back in England or Spain remains to be seen.

Nice! I would love to see a Celta Vigo story. Can't wait to see where you end up.

Good start mate. Like the idea of Becks starting at the bottom aswell as myself. Too many people bring back a legend and place him at the top straight away and not make him work his way to the top. I would reccomend going to spain. Much easier to have decent Sucess than in England

Good start mate. Like the idea of Becks starting at the bottom aswell as myself. Too many people bring back a legend and place him at the top straight away and not make him work his way to the top. I would reccomend going to spain. Much easier to have decent Sucess than in England

Cheers mate, yeah I echo your thoughts too, like to try and make my stories realistic to how I think it would happen in real. Next update soon. :)

images

BECKHAM SET FOR TALKS WITH CELTA VIGO

images

(Becks arriving for talks with Celta)

ESPN can confirm that Portland Timbers owner David Beckham is currently in Spain, having talks over the vacant managerial position at Celta Vigo.

Vigo, who currently sit in 20th position in the Spanish Primera Division, are on the hunt for a new manager after the sacking of Abel Resino and club president Carlos Mourino sees the former Manchester United and Real Madrid midfielder as the ideal replacement.

Early rumours had been circulating that Beckham was also interesting English Premier League side Reading, after the dismissal of Brian McDermott, but Beckham was quick to decline any interest in joining the Royals.

" Reading did make an approach to talk to me, but I politely turned down the offer, as
I feel I'm not ready to manage in England at the current time. "

With Reading seemingly out the running for the former England captain's signature and Beckham's reluctance to head back to England at present, it leaves the door open for La Liga's bottom side to thrash out a deal to bring Becks back to Spain.

Nice one! Celta have some great players like Igo Aspas, Hugo Mallo and Javi Varas that you could build a great team around also I think Borja Oubina has been a great player for Celta through out the years and could still prove vital for the survival fight.

Nice one! Celta have some great players like Igo Aspas, Hugo Mallo and Javi Varas that you could build a great team around also I think Borja Oubina has been a great player for Celta through out the years and could still prove vital for the survival fight.

He hasn't taken over there yet!! :p, lol. Yeah that's what has attracted me to them, plus there wasn't much else on offer that took my fancy(oops if he takes over!!;))

Status
Not open for further replies.