Becks to the Future - A David Beckham Story

Status
Not open for further replies.
7400b18f7a9053021e18261e679c9225.png

NOVEMBER 2013

Training%20.jpg

(Players and staff awaiting the beginning of my first training session)

BUNDESLIGA
SATURDAY 23rd NOVEMBER 2013
BAYARENA

LEVERKUSEN (2 - 0) WERDER BREMEN
Stefan KieBling(2), Dani Carvajal(Sent Off)

A perfect start in my first game in charge and a great performance by the squad, especially as I've
made it clear that some players are playing for their futures, as I intend to shake things up when the
January transfer window opens in a few weeks. Stefan KieBling did his chances no harm of extending his
career here at the BayArena as he bagged two brilliant individual goals to put us on the way to a much
needed three points. The only negative was a silly sending off for right back Dani Carvajal, who despite his
inexperience, needs to learn to control his enthusiasm.

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE - GROUP G
TUESDAY 26th NOVEMBER 2013
BAYARENA

LEVERKUSEN (3 - 0) AJAX
Omar Toprak, Andre Schurrle(pen), Karim Bellarabi

We knew we needed a performance tonight to have any chance of keeping our qualification hopes alive
and the lads responded by easily beating a full strength Ajax side. Cultured centre back Omar Toprak
opened the scoring with a great header from a corner and our lead was quickly doubled when our star
player Andre Schurrle netted from the penalty spot. Substitute Karim Bellarabi grabbed a late third
goal to seal an emphatic win.

View attachment 343680View attachment 343681

DECEMBER 2013

Fanshop_West3.jpg

(Our new club shop)

BUNDESLIGA
SUNDAY 1st DECEMBER 2013
SGL ARENA

AUGSBURG (0 - 4) LEVERKUSEN
Tom Trybull(own goal), Stefan KieBling(3)

Our great start continued this evening, as we completely destroyed our opponents with a ruthless
attacking approach, which left our hosts with no answer to our superb performance.

BUNDESLIGA
WEDNESDAY 4th DECEMBER 2013
ESPRIT ARENA

DUSSELDORF (1 - 2) LEVERKUSEN
Gonzalo Castro, Andre Schurrle

After taking the lead early on, I had hoped that we would end up with a convincing win, but
after being pegged back during the second half, it was down to Andre to curl home a 25 yard
free kick in the last few minutes, to seal three points.

BUNDESLIGA
SATURDAY 7th DECEMBER 2013
BAYARENA

LEVERKUSEN (2 - 0) 1860 MUNCHEN
Karim Bellarabi, Stefan KieBling

A dominant win as we continue are march up the league table and again it was another fine
performance, as the players are starting to get used to the 433 formation I'm keen on playing.

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE - GROUP G
WEDNESDAY 11th DECEMBER 2013
NUEVO LOS CARMENES

GRANADA (1 - 4) LEVERKUSEN
Andre Schurrle, Phillip Wollscheid, Sidney Sam, Dominik Kohr

We needed a win tonight to secure our passage through to the next round and the lads delivered in
emphatic style.

Champions League First Round Knockout Draw

Leverkusen vs Manchester United

BUNDESLIGA
SATURDAY 14th DECEMBER 2013
VELTINS-ARENA

SCHALKE (0 - 3) LEVERKUSEN
Stefan KieBling, Benedikt Howedes(own goal), Andre Schurrle

Our second half performance was a joy to behold and the players responded to my half time
team talk, as we scored all three goals after the break to give us a vital win over a side
a couple of places above us in the league.

GERMAN CUP - 3rd ROUND
WEDNESDAY 18th DECEMBER 2013
AWD-ARENA

HANNOVER (2 - 1) LEVERKUSEN
(after extra time)
Stefan KieBling

I was very frustrated with going out of the cup tonight and with it being my first loss since I took
over. With the Christmas break happening after this game, I decided to stick with the side that started
against Schalke, but despite leading and having a chance to double our lead, only for Andre Schurrle's penalty
to be saved, we gifted our opposition an equaliser with minutes remaining and then shot ourselves in the foot by
conceding late in the second half of extra time.

View attachment 344014

Just caught up with all of this, you've gone a long way in such a short time. Keep it up!

Just caught up with all of this, you've gone a long way in such a short time. Keep it up!

Cheers mate. Yes I wasn't expecting to have got so much experience so quick, and was looking to build a decent Celta team, but the lure of Champs League swayed my decision to go to Germany. England is where I hope to spend majority of my years at a team where I can build something special and will be a team where it hasn't been done before, while looking to develop one of the home nations or US team if opportunity arises. :)

JANUARY 2014

302129_1.jpg

(Victoria and Me out for dinner)

JANUARY TRANSFER NEWS

INS:

View attachment 344182

Eduardo Salvio from Benfica - Loan to end of season - With most of the transfer budget spent by the previous manager I had to look to loan signings to help strengthen my squad. The area I was keen on improving was the inside right forwardposition and Eduardo fitted the bill perfectly.

View attachment 344183

Jordy Clasie from Ajax - End of contract - This signing is very much part of my rebuilding for next season and I had to beat a number of high profiled clubs for Jordy's signature. He has become the first part of my plans to build a new look young talented side to compete next year and will join us on a free once his contract expires.

OUTS:

Jens Hegeler to Nurnberg - £1.7M - Jens has been a great squad member during his time here, but he doesn't fit into my plans and after a chat with him, he was keen to kick start his career elsewhere.

Atiba Hutchinson to Nurnberg - £1.5M - A recent signing by the old manager and despite him only making two appearances for the club, I felt Atiba wasn't going to be part of my long term plans, so again after explaining my decision to him, he was keen on first team football and though the club made a loss on him, we felt it best to remove his hefty wages from the payroll.

BUNDESLIGA
SATURDAY 18th JANUARY 2014
IMTECH ARENA

HSV (0 - 2) LEVERKUSEN
Stefan Reinartz, Eduardo Salvio

After a long rest due to the winter break, the players picked up from where they left off and produced
a great performance and continued our rise up the league table.

BUNDESLIGA
SATURDAY 25th JANUARY 2014
BAYARENA

LEVERKUSEN (2 - 0) WOLFSBURG
Andre Schurrle(pen), Stefan KieBling, Stefan Reinartz(sent off)

What a great win this was for us, as it lifted us to second place and we had to do it with 10 men. The scores
were level when Stefan Reinartz was shown a second yellow, but the dismissal seemed to spur the rest of the
team on, as we continued to dominate and deserved the three points.

View attachment 344189

FEBRUARY 2014

images

(Winning the Champions League with United. Could I do it this year as a Manager?)

BUNDESLIGA
SATURDAY 1st FEBRUARY 2014
FRITZ-WALTER STADION

KAISERSLAUTERN (0 - 1) LEVERKUSEN
Kohr

We did what we had to do in today's game and despite a below par performance we still managed to
get three points, with a rare goal by hot prospect Dominik Kohr.

BUNDESLIGA
SATURDAY 8th FEBRUARY 2014
BAYARENA

LEVERKUSEN (3 - 0) STUTTGART
Gonzalo Castro, Stefan KieBling, Omer Toprak

Dominant win and a great performance in front of our home fans to keep up our fantastic league
form. Stefan KieBling continued his great goal scoring form and showed why is one of the best strikers
in the league currently.

BUNDESLIGA
FRIDAY 14th FEBRUARY 2014
COMMERZBANK ARENA

FRANKFURT (1 - 2) LEVERKUSEN
Stefan KieBling, Andre Schurrle

A fantastic comeback, as the team showed their fighting spirit to keep our unbeaten run going
in the league since I took over.

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE - 1st ROUND - 1st Leg
TUESDAY 18th FEBRUARY 2014
BAYARENA

LEVERKUSEN (2 - 2) MANCHESTER UTD
Stefan KieBling, Stefan Reinartz

It was nice seeing some old friends as United came to Germany for our first leg game, but I
had to put all emotions and sentiments to one side as we had a job to do. The game itself was
very even and a draw was probably a fair reflection, but with two away goals and a trip back to Old
Trafford, will give us a tough task to qualify for the next round.

BUNDESLIGA
SATURDAY 22nd FEBRUARY 2014
BAYARENA

LEVERKUSEN (3 - 1) MAINZ
Andre Schurrle, Omer Toprak, Phillipp Wollscheid

Very comfortable victory and a chance for me to rest some players, especially as the game was won
by half time and with a big double header coming up soon, it was right to make sure my key players
were rested.

BUNDESLIGA
FRIDAY 28th FEBRUARY 2014
ALLIANZ ARENA

BAYERN (0 - 2) LEVERKUSEN
Stefan KieBling(2)

GET IN!! The players were absolutely fantastic tonight and the fans and myself couldn't of
wished for a better result. If we win our game in hand, we go level on points with Bayern at the
top of the league and then put ourselves in with a great chance of winning the title.

View attachment 345188

Last edited:

MARCH 2014

300_2.jpg

(Pre match press conference before my return to Old Trafford)

BUNDESLIGA
SATURDAY 8th MARCH 2014
BAYARENA

LEVERKUSEN (3 - 1) DORTMUND
Stefan KieBling, Dominik Kohr, Andre Schurrle

Superb result, as we easily beat the reigning champions and this result has made both Dortmund and
Bayern fully aware that there is another team ready and waiting to break their dominance in German football.

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE - 1st ROUND - 2nd Leg
WEDNESDAY 12th MARCH 2014
OLD TRAFFORD

MANCHESTER UTD (2 - 1) LEVERKUSEN
(Manchester Utd win 4 - 3 on aggregate)
Andre Schurrle

Tonight was very emotional for me and brought back lots of fantastic memories that I had here during
my spell in England with United. It was great to spend some time chatting to Sir Alex and other
members of the backroom team.
Again, I had to try and hold back the tears and prepare my team for the tough challenge ahead. Unfortunately
it wasn't to be a memorable night on the pitch, as United showed their qualities like they are renowned for and
went through to the next round at our expense.

BUNDESLIGA
SATURDAY 15th MARCH 2014
BORUSSIA PARK

GLADBACH (2 - 3) LEVERKUSEN
Stefan Reinartz, Stefan KieBling, Omer Toprak

A very nervy affair tonight, but as shown in previous games, this side just doesn't know when to give up and
with each victory and game that passes it brings us a little closer to our first every title.

BUNDESLIGA
SATURDAY 22nd MARCH 2014
BAYARENA

LEVERKUSEN (4 - 4) NURNBERG
Stefan KieBling, Omer Toprak, Andre Schurrle, Philipp Wollscheid

This could be the game that ruins our chances of winning the league. Yes, maybe the neutrals will have enjoyed the
eight goal thriller, but our defending and concentration was very poor and we will now have to hope that
Bayern slip up in one of their remaining games.

BUNDESLIGA
SATURDAY 29th MARCH 2014
AWD ARENA

HANNOVER (0 - 1) LEVERKUSEN
Stefan KieBling

Sometimes you won't play well, but as long as you grind out a result then you take and tonight was exactly
what we did, having to rely on an 89th minute goal to seal the three points.

View attachment 345193

APRIL 2014

images

(The outside of the stunning BayArena)

BUNDESLIGA
SATURDAY 5th APRIL 2014
BAYARENA

LEVERKUSEN (4 - 2) FREIBURG
Andre Schurrle, Dominik Kohr, Dani Carvajal, Gonzalo Castro

We know going into the final few games of the season we have to win our remaining games and hope that
Bayern slip up and with Bayern still in the Champions League, they would be facing a fixture congestion,
which could potential help us. But we had to do our job and ensure we keep up the pressure on them and
we did just that today, as we secured a fine win.

BUNDESLIGA
SATURDAY 12th APRIL 2014
WESERSTADION

WERDER BREMEN (1 - 4) LEVERKUSEN
Philipp Wollscheid, Eduardo Salvio, Andre Schurrle, Stefan KieBling

We continued our fine goal scoring form and also players from all over the pitch keep chipping in with goals,
which has helped take the pressure off the lone striker at the top of my attacking three.

BUNDESLIGA
SATURDAY 19th APRIL 2014
BAYARENA

LEVERKUSEN (3 - 1) DUSSELDORF
Andre Schurrle, Stefan KieBling, Gonzalo Castro

A remarkable second half comeback, as we found ourselves behind at the half time interval. And after a passionate
team talk, where I told the players to keep believing, they responded with 45 minutes of breath taking
football to keep the pressure on Bayern, who were playing away to Schalke later.

Full Time Result from VELTINS Arena

Schalke (3 - 0) Bayern

This result means we are top by 4 points, going into the final three games of the season, meaning we only need
six points from the remaining nine available to seal the league title.

View attachment 345194

MAY 2014

dfb-meisterschale.jpg

(Will we be winning this at the end of the season???)

BUNDESLIGA
SATURDAY 3rd MAY 2014
BAYARENA

LEVERKUSEN (3 - 0) AUGSBURG
Stefan KieBling(2), Gonzalo Castro

Our opponents had no answer to our beautiful attacking play and we ran out easy winners, though the
scoreline could've and should've been even bigger.

BUNDESLIGA
SATURDAY 10th MAY 2014
ALLIANZ ARENA

1860 MUNCHEN (0 - 0) LEVERKUSEN

We went into this game knowing a win for us and if Bayern couldn't match it, we would be crowned champions.
Unfortunately for us, the occasion seemed to have got to the players and we played well below what we
are capable of and only mustered a draw, which meant we'd have to wait for the Bayern result to come
in, before we knew our fate.

Full Time from Coface Arena

Mainz (2 - 2) Bayern

We'd done it, we were CHAMPIONS!! But it went to the wire, as Mainz scored 2 injury time goals and Bayern missed
a penalty, as this draw means whatever happens in the final game, Bayern couldn't over take us.

500x.jpg

(Players celebrating our league title success)

BUNDESLIGA
WEDNESDAY 21st MAY 2014
BAYARENA

LEVERKUSEN (0 - 1) SCHALKE

Though we have won the league, I was very disappointed that we ended the season with a loss and it was
my first defeat in the league since I became Manager.

View attachment 345195

Great effort to win the league, and I'm glad to see two of my favourite players, Kiessling and Schurrle performing. Nice to go out to Man Utd too :)

Great effort to win the league, and I'm glad to see two of my favourite players, Kiessling and Schurrle performing. Nice to go out to Man Utd too :)

Cheers mate, yeah KieBling and Schurrle have been amazing for me. Maybe a couple of twists coming soon, so stay tuned. (H)

JUNE/JULY 2014

PRE SEASON AND TRANSFER NEWS

INS:

View attachment 345417

Dennis Aogo from HSV - £6M - I had been looking for a left back since I came to the club and after seeing how well Dennis played in the Bundesliga last year and imparticular against ourselves, I felt we needed some experience in the back four.

View attachment 345419

Ariel Borysiuk from Kaiserslautern - £5M - The one area I wanted to strengthen was in central midfield and with Jordy Clasie already signed up, I needed to bring in another addition and Ariel fiited the bill.

View attachment 345421

Patrick Herrmann from Gladbach - £5M - This signing has brought some unrest amongst some of the fans due to Patrick playing for our rivals last season, but I have confidence that Patrick will soon turn them around and show what ability he has and that he can win games on his own.

View attachment 345423

Christian Benteke from Aston Villa - £7M - I needed competition for Stefan KieBling and Christian is the ideal competition we need at the club. Hopefully he will play a big part in the cup competitions as we look to challenge on all fronts this year.

View attachment 345425

Sotiris Prountzos from Wolfsburg - £800K - Sotiris is one of a number of hot prospects brought to the club by our Head of Youth and he is the stand out player who could be pushing for a first team place soon.

OUTS:

I decided to have quite a big clear out of the deadwood that was cluttering up the squad and some of the players were first team regulars last season, but I felt that we had seen them at their best and it was time to them on.

View attachment 345415

FRIENDLIES

RW ESSEN (0 - 3) LEVERKUSEN
Christian Benteke(2), Patrick Herrmann

VITESSE (0 - 3) LEVERKUSEN
Patrick Herrmann(2), Omer Toprak

CELTIC (1 - 0) LEVERKUSEN

PHILADELPHIA (0 - 3) LEVERKUSEN
Stefan KieBling(2), Omer Toprak

GERMAN SUPER CUP
SATURDAY 26th JULY 2014
STADION AN DER ALTEN FORSTEREI

UNION BERLIN (1 - 3) LEVERKUSEN
Philipp Wollscheid, Stefan KieBling, Stefan Reinartz

Despite playing a lower opposition opponent, I was delighted with the win today, as it secured my first cup
success since I started my managerial career and it will have pride of place in our trophy cabinet next to
the league title.

Daily%20Mail%20logo%20%282%29.jpg

POSH SPICE SHOCK AS BECKS REJECTS UNITED APPROACH

newego_LARGE_t_821_105977311_type11759.jpg

(Victoria Beckham keen on settling down in England)

The Daily Mail understands that David Beckham has turned down the chance of a sensational return to Manchester United to replace Sir Alex Ferguson, despite Victoria's plea to settle down in England.

The current boss of German Bundesliga side Bayer Leverkusen, has turned down the approach from 'The Red Devils' to replace the retiring Scot after talks last night with the Glazer Family.

" I met with the Glazers last night and although I hold United in high regard, my next position in
management will be at a club where I can build my own legacy, just like Sir Alex has done at Old Trafford.
Maybe one day I can return as Manager, but I want to create something special at a club where they
haven't had what United have achieved, so I can be remembered as a great. "

So with Beckham ruling out Manchester United, where the bookies have now installed former Athletic Manager Marcelo Bielsa as favourite for the position, it will leave Victoria Beckham disappointed, as she earlier indicated her desire to move back to England following years of moving around and finally settle down in one place.

" Of course I happy that David has made a great start to his football manager career, but now the
reunion with the Spice Girls has ended and with my fashion links back in England, I want us all to
be settled in one place and allow our children to grow up back home. "

With such revelations coming out at a time when Becks, who has just won the Bundesliga and German Super Cup, is starting to rebuild the Leverkusen side he was appointed of back in November 2013, it will be interesting to see just how long it will be before the Beckhams move back to England and the question then will be, what club would fit the criteria Beckham is looking for to build his legacy. But in the mean time he will be planning for the start of the season in Germany, as he looks to build on a very promising start to his management career.

AUGUST/SEPTEMBER 2014

GYI0060121555_crop_450x500.jpg

(The Bayer fans ready for another season)

GERMAN CUP - 1st Round
SATURDAY 16th AUGUST 2014
SPORTFORUM

SANDERSDORF (0 - 7) LEVERKUSEN
Philipp Wollscheid(2), Stefan KieBling(4), Ariel Borysiuk

Not much needed to say, apart from we were excellent.

BUNDESLIGA
FRIDAY 22nd AUGUST 2014
BAYARENA

LEVERKUSEN (3 - 1) AUGSBURG
Patrick Herrmann(2), Stefan KieBling

A great way to start our defence of the league title and already the Herrmann is starting to show the
fans why I brought him to the club.

BUNDESLIGA
SATURDAY 30th AUGUST 2014
STADION NURNBERG

NURNBERG (0 - 1) LEVERKUSEN
Kohr

Not the prettiest of wins, but three points nonetheless. Despite getting rid of a lot of squad players, I'm
finding that we are still one or two players short of a squad that has competition in all areas.

BUNDESLIGA
SATURDAY 13th SEPTEMBER 2014
BAYARENA

LEVERKUSEN (0 - 0) DORTMUND

Today was our first real test and against a new look Dortmund team who are now managed by Slaven Bilic, since
Jurgen Klopp left to join Athletic. The score line says it all really, as neither side created any real chances.

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE - GROUP H
WEDNESDAY 17th SEPTEMBER 2014
WHITE HART LANE

TOTTENHAM (3 - 1) LEVERKUSEN
Patrick Herrmann

Again it was nice to be back in England and a great experience to come up against a top class manager in Andre
Villas-Boas. I was livid with a shocking referee performance, as he awarded Spurs two penalties deep in
injury time, as we looked to have earned a point.

BUNDESLIGA
SATURDAY 20th SEPTEMBER 2014
IMTECH ARENA

HSV (0 - 2) LEVERKUSEN
Stefan KieBling(2)

A superb away win for us this evening, as we continue our perfect start to the league campaign. Stefan
KieBling has carried his fine form over from last season and deserved his two goals with a great
individual performance.

BUNDESLIGA
WEDNESDAY 24th SEPTEMBER 2014
AWD ARENA

HANNOVER (1 - 2) LEVERKUSEN
Stefan KieBling, Andre Schurrle(pen)

We left it late to claim the three points, but it was no less than we deserved. Unfortunately the
win came at a cost, as we lost Jordy Clasie and Patrick Herrmann to injuries that will keep
them out for a while.

BUNDESLIGA
SATURDAY 27th SEPTEMBER 2014
BAYARENA

LEVERKUSEN (1 - 0) BAYERN
Andre Schurrle

A crucial win against our closest rivals for the league title and again a team that is currently in a
transition period due to Michael Laudrup replacing Pep Guardiola who is now the Manager of
Spain. The game was won by a wonderful individual effort from Schurrle, who is starting to
produce some excellent performances on a more regular basis.

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE - GROUP H
WEDNESDAY 30th SEPTEMBER 2014
BAYARENA

LEVERKUSEN (0 - 0) GALATASARAY
Ariel Borysiuk(sent off)

A Disappointing draw, especially as it means we will have our work cut out to qualify for the next
stages. But overall, we'd take the point considering we played most of the second half with 10 men
following the sending off.

View attachment 345456

Status
Not open for further replies.