Being Bastian... (A Bayern Munich Story)

I'd just like to say thank you to everyone who has followed and commented on this story :)

I am going to bring this story to a halt for the time being -- until I've seen the new blog system. I know how blogs work (and I've used them many times in the past) but I want to see exactly how it's going to be implemented into this site (and the exact features available etc) before continuing with this story.

Ideally, I'd like to continue in this thread, but I'm not sure if that's going to be possible.

Is a shame, a big shame. Will certainly miss my fix of Ribery being a total **** for no reason haha. Seriously though, great story, I hope you know that mate. You already have 9 pages and we havnt made it past September in your first season. Great writing. Hopefully if this doesn't continue, you have a story in the blog mate.

Big <3 for Carine​

Cheers for comment Toddzy -- I'm not going to stop the story completely, I'm just going to wait and see how the blog system is set-up. When it comes into practice I think I might need to copy what I've already done into the blog in order for the story to run smoothly? 9 pages is enough to copy over, nevermind the extra bits that would be done by that time, lol :) Ribery will be back causing mischief in no time :)

Oh nooooooooooo
Carine don't stop it now...
come on we are waiting for the updates

Pretty enjoyable writing. :)
I wanted to write like this for my story but... let's say that I am a bit busy.
Anyways, the integration of life in football management was realistic and cohesive. :D

^^ Cheers for comments guys -- very very much appreciated :)

Just to reiterate, the story isn't dead -- I'm just putting a hold on posts for the time being until the blog system is in place. Takes quite a bit of work to post (with all the re-editing and stuff that you have to do after copying into the post box) and I don't want to have to copy any more than what's already here into the blog. I'm just writing in word at the moment and saving it to post at a later date.

3rd September to 11th September 2009...

Ok, so I got bored waiting for the blog lol. Here's an update -- hope yous like :)

3rd September to 11th September 2009.

Jeez, international breaks are boring… Especially at a club like Bayern. One of the downsides of having so many international class players in the squad is that there’s barely anyone left to coach when the national teams send out their call-ups.

To say it’s been a fairly quiet nine days without them is an understatement. I can’t wait until they all return.

I received a copy of Resi’s first publication through the post. She’s done a good job and her text is favourable towards me -- it’s nice to be portrayed as a serious manager for once, rather than the ‘Dorftrottel’, as the Munich Post so eloquently labelled me. I decided to telephone Resi and asked her to meet me at the club’s training facility.

“This is a surprise,” she smiled upon her arrival, “I wasn’t expecting to hear from you so soon.”

“Well,” I sighed, “Most of the players are away on international duty and I’ve some free time. Besides, your publication was very good and I think you deserve to have a proper look around the club. Not everyone has been as complementary in their writing as you have.”

“You’ll prove them all wrong,” she replied reassuringly, “I’m sure of it.”

I hope she is right, but it will be a difficult task. You see, managing a team like Bayern has it’s pitfalls when it comes to dealing with the media -- if you make an *** of yourself during your first interview, you inevitably face an uphill battle to get ‘them’ back on your side. The problem is, Bayern are expected to win almost everything they compete for so praise can be hard to come by... winning against the ‘big-boys’ in Europe is the only guaranteed way to be considered a great manager at a club like this.

I showed her around the training complex and then drove to the Allianz-Arena. She was like a kid in a candy store -- clicking away on her camera like an Asian tourist. Crikey, she even hassled the grounds-man into taking a picture of the two of us sat in the home dug-out. At least she’s got a digital, I chuckled in thought -- imagining the pained expression on a developer’s face if she arrived with a mountain-like pile of film for developing.

Some time later… (even the best digital cameras have a limit) she finished taking photographs and we sat down in the stadium for a chat.

The Bayern Under-19s are performing well in the initial stages of their league and I am widely considered to be the man who laid the foundations for the successes they are tipped to achieve over the coming season. Resi thinks an article covering my time as Bayern’s Under-19s coach, and my subsequent transition from youth-team mentor to first-team master would make a good read. I trust her journalistic instincts (after all, she did me proud in her first article) so that is what we focused on for the next hour or so.

“Thanks, Bastian,” she smiled as our time together drew to an end, “I really enjoyed today.”

“I’m glad,” I replied. I’d enjoyed her company too and, failing miserably at hiding my excitement, I blurted out, “We’ve got to do it again sometime.”

“For sure,” she smiled, “I’m game… if you are?”

I received news regarding Van Bommel and I’m happy to say it’s good. He’s been out injured for over a week, but he’s finally been given the green light to return to training. We’re lucky his injury occurred just prior to the international break -- as a result of this, he’ll only miss one game as he rebuilds his fitness levels and works on his sharpness.

Though the days seem longer during an international break, the nights, on the other hand, can be spent in the uninterrupted company of one’s better half. Over the last week, Anita and I have shared more romantic evenings together than in the entire time I’ve been in charge of first-team affairs.

It’s been time well spent… Time we both needed.

On the 9th, I travelled to the ESPIIT Arena in Dusseldorf to watch the national side take on Azerbaijan in their World Cup Qualifying Group 4 fixture. We’re 1-6 favourites and I couldn’t resist sneaking a wager at my local bookies -- as professionals, we’re not banned from betting on matches, but it is frowned upon. I don’t know why -- I have no influence over the national side at all, heck, I’m not allowed any nearer to the squad than the everyday bloke on the street, unless, of course, I were to be invited by the current manager or the FA itself.

It was great to sit in the stands and enjoy a game of football without the pressures of management hanging over my head and I thoroughly enjoyed the match. Joachim Low is building a strong, athletic team and I feel we could do well at next year’s World Cup in South Africa -- providing we qualify, of course.

Franz was at the game too, but I didn’t get chance to chat with him -- Der Kaiser sits with other German ‘legends’ when attending international fixtures and I, unfortunately, am not considered to be of that ilk. Franz is treated like a king, and rightly so -- his record for Germany (winning the World Cup as both a player and manager) is impeccable.

It was a tough game for our lads, especially during the opening thirty minutes. A period during which Azerbaijan deployed one of my least favourite football theories -- the old ‘ten men behind the ball’ routine. I deplore the use of such tactics -- it stifles the game, but I can’t really complain. If a team is faced with superior opposition, what else can they do?

Lukas Podolski finally broke the deadlock on 32 minutes -- a goal the fans cheered with relief, as much as joy. As a result of this goal, the team began to relax on the ball and forced the Azerbaijan players to play chase from then on. We enjoyed an energetic spell of prolonged possession, but it took until the third minute of added time at the end of the first half before we could cheer a second home goal -- Bayern’s very own Miroslav Klose finishing with trademark aplomb. Podolski and Klose have forged a great partnership at international level and their performances this evening have not only delighted a nation, but reaffirmed my disappointment in missing out on the FC Koln front-man.

Most of the 51,447 in attendance rose to clap the team from the field as the referee blew for the break. Judging by their reaction, I’d guess they were content with the score, as was I...

“Not bad,” I thought to myself during the interval. In terms of entertainment, the performance hadn’t been great, but it’s difficult to break down teams who do nothing but defend and 2-0, well, it’s a better score than many an armchair fan might think.

I listened in to the conversations happening about me and was pleased that the general consensus was positive. The atmosphere was encouraging and a contented aura filled the stadium. After all, World Cup qualification is a marathon, not a sprint.

The second-half was even more one-sided than the first -- and much more exciting -- a combination of the confidence gained from their two goal cushion and Joachim’s half-time words of wisdom had certainly done the trick.

Chelsea’s Michael Ballack ran the show (as all good captains should) and finished the game with two expertly taken goals -- following up a close range header on 62 minutes with a fabulous 18 yard strike into the bottom corner as the game neared completion -- either side of an 85th minute tap-in by Werder Bremen’s gangling centre-half, Per Mertesacker.

Germany 5 Azerbaijan 0.

It could have been more, but, as far I’m concerned, it’ll do. With two games left to play, our nation sits proud atop the group -- one point ahead of our nearest rivals Russia, and with a superior goal difference to boot. We’re hot favourites for automatic qualification and, barring a collapse of epic proportions, we should finish in the play-off spot at least.

Three points in the bag and a winning wager in my pocket -- it’s been a good evening all round, especially after the performance of the Under-21s last night. I watched them on television as they produced an energised, fluid game of football against their Belgium counterparts in Antwerp. The 4-1 winning score-line no less than our boys deserved.

This national youth team looks very promising indeed -- there’s some fantastic talent learning their trade under the supervision of great coaches.

With Werder Bremen’s playmaker Mesut Ozil pulling the strings in midfield; St. Pauli’s strong forward Richard Sukuta-Pasu leading the line; and a mixture of Bayern talent, such as Holger Badstuber, Thomas Muller and Toni Kroos (currently on loan at Leverkusen) coming through the ranks, the future of our national game looks bright. I wonder if any of them will board the plane to the South Africa should the senior team qualify?

Ozil would be a good bet to make the trip -- he plays with a maturity far beyond his tender years. It’s a shame Bremen wouldn’t entertain our advances for the player during the recent transfer window. He’s good at Bremen, but he could be brilliant at Bayern.

I always afford myself a wry smile when I think of the long-term strategies put in place by the German Football Association… sure, everything’s developing nicely and our youngsters look they’ll be world beaters one day, but, the funny thing, is where they got their ideas from in the first place -- the notes of former Leeds United manager, Howard Wilkinson (the very same notes his own football association, perhaps our biggest rivals, turned their noses up at.)

When the English F.A. witnessed the 4-0 demolition of their Under-21s in the European Final last June, I wonder what feeling took precedence in their after-match meetings -- were they awestruck by the brilliance of our youngsters, embarrassed at the humbling score-line, or, my personal favourite, humiliated that the strategy they deemed worthless had just come back to haunt them in spectacular fashion?

Anyway, that’s the international fixtures over and done with for the time being. Besides, I shouldn’t mock the English too much -- we could be drawn against them in the senior tournament this coming summer and, under the management of Fabio Capello, they look very strong in all areas. I think we’d struggle to overcome them if matched up in South Africa, but, then again, Joachim is a wily fox too and Capello would do well not to underestimate him.

Sound advice you might think? And I will tell my players the same thing before we take to the field in our next match -- a tough away fixture against Nurnberg. It is vital we come away with three points from this tricky encounter, but we’ll have to nullify the threat of their Swiss playmaker, twenty-eight year old Daniel Gygax, if we’re to be successful.

Thankfully, no players returned to the club with injuries -- some of them are tired, for sure, but that is something most top-flight clubs will have to deal with this weekend.

We’re favourites for the Nurnberg game, but I won't be having a wager on the outcome of this match -- betting on the results of a team one’s directly involved with carries a huge fine (and a possible suspension, should the club take matters further in the face of expected pressure from the F.A. and media wolves alike.)

More good news! Martin Demichelis has finally returned from injury. He’s a few weeks off making the first-team match squad, but at least he’s back in some sort of action. He’ll train on his own for the time being -- there’s no point throwing him in with his team-mates until his fitness has improved. It’ll take time, of course, but the fitness coaches (in unison with the physiotherapy department) have crafted a training programme to get him back in peak condition as quickly (and safely) as possible.

In his absence, Holgar Badstuber has flourished and performed brilliantly. He is definitely a future first-team regular, but Martin’s an experienced Argentinean international and his presence in the Bayern starting eleven will be a huge boost for the team.

I spoke with Oliver Kahn this week (he was guest speaker at a fund-raising dinner held by the club in aid of local charities) and offered him a role on the club’s coaching staff. Oliver was a great goalkeeper in his time (arguably one of Germany’s finest ever shot-stoppers) and his experience and stature, in my opinion, would prove extremely advantageous to the younger ‘keepers at our club.

“Of course, I am flattered,” he replied, “I love Bayern, as you no doubt know, and I am working through my coaching badges at the moment.”

“Good, good,” I replied overjoyed, “When can you start?”

“Well there lies the problem,” he sighed, “Sir Alex Ferguson has already offered me the chance to gain experience and build my reputation within the ranks of his backroom staff. I’m sorry Bastian, but thanks for your kind offer.”

“O,” I replied, depleted, but still offering my hand in congratulations, “Good luck.”

“Thank you,” he smiled.

I smiled back, though I doubt it hid my disappointment.

“What’s up?” Anita asked when I arrived home in contemplative mood.

“Oliver’s already agreed to join Sir Alex at Manchester United,” I replied, “First he turned Franck’s head, now he’s beaten me to Kahn…”

I knew the United manager didn’t hold a personal vendetta against me, but, still, I couldn’t deny he made me feel rather insignificant. I wonder how many others feel the same when faced by this crafty Scotsman? Plenty, I’d guess.

“Don’t worry,” my wife smiled reassuringly, “You’ve got one thing he’ll never have… you’ve got me.”

Anita… she definitely knows how to put a smile on my face. Sir Alex seems to have the better of me off the pitch, but, like my wife suggested, even if his team gave mine a good spanking, there’s only one man who’d get to do the same to her… me.

“Bastian!” Anita screeched, “There’s no need to be so vulgar!”

I stuttered a shocked, embarrassed apology. Sometimes, when you're musing, it’s best to check your mouth is shut first!

Last edited:
CARINE!!! welcome back
Great update and waiting the other ones
After your long break you should give us a lot ;)

Cheers for comments guys -- as always, they are very much appreciated :) Going to try and update as often as I can, but I'm a little swamped with other things atm. Thanks for continuing to follow :)

12th September 2009...

12th September 2009.

With only one day’s training since the international break had come to an end, I feared the worst as I stepped off the team coach and made my way into Nurnberg’s easyCredit-Stadion.

The trip to Nurnberg had been short and relaxing, but I got the impression most of our players were still feeling the effects of their efforts during their respective World Cup qualifiers.

Hopefully, we’ll get through this match without too many problems. In two days time, we travel to Kiev, Ukraine, for an important Champions League group match. The last thing we need before then, is a tough, high-tempo encounter.

The team I’ve selected contains a number of ever-presents. In my opinion, though the season is a long and arduous adventure, there’s no point in meddling with a winning formula -- especially if there’s no reason to.

Bayern: Hans-Jörg ****, Christian Lell, Philipp Lahm, Daniel Van Buyten, Holger Badstuber, Anatoliy Tymoschuk, Christian Saba, Bastian Schweinsteiger, Thomas Müller, Miroslav Klose, Arjen Robben.

Substitutes: Michael Rensing, Andreas Görlitz, Danijel Pranjic, Marek Hamsik, Bjorn Kopplin, Mario Gomez, Ivica Olic.

The main absentees are, of course, the injured trio of Martin Demechelis, Franck Ribéry and Mark van Bommel, along with new signing Roman Pavlyuchenko, who is currently working on his fitness levels after warming the bench at Spurs for so long.

Nurnberg 0 Bayern 1.

(Attendance : 46,780 Venue : easyCredit-Stadion.)

Another bumper crowd in the German Bundesliga -- we might not be considered as the strongest league in Europe, but our attendances are fantastic and dwarf the averages set in many other countries.

Unfortunately, though half expected, this match was a drab affair. I’m glad I got in for free and, I can’t deny, I felt a little sorry for the masses who’d paid to get into the stadium.

It wasn’t just tiredness that spoiled our game-plan -- Nurnberg targeted our central midfielders; closed down almost every area of available space; and generally made it difficult for us to express ourselves on the pitch. As a result, our forwards were reduced to little more than interested bystanders, struggling to impact on the game.

We had to wait until the 16th minute for the first shot of the match and, even then, it was a Nurnberg effort. Luckily for us, the home team’s striker, Christian Eigler, had strayed off-side before planting the ball past Hans’ despairing dive.

“Sit down, my friends," Andries joked as the celebrating Nurnberg fans slowly realised the goal had been disallowed.

I tried my best to gee up the team, but there’s only so much one can do from the sidelines -- no matter how many crazy gesticulations one makes.

“Calm down, Bastian,” I remember Andries chuckled at one point, “You’re like a human yo-yo today.”

I suppose I was, but I couldn’t help it. Nurnberg has been our main Bavarian rival for nearly ninety years (probably because they were far more successful than us during the 1920s and 30s) and they were Germany’s record title holder until, in 1987, we won our tenth championship and finally surpassed their successes. This is THE Bavarian derby, and I certainly didn’t want to be on the losing side.

With 28 minutes on the clock I jumped from the dugout once more, “Come on ref!” I screamed at the top of my voice, “That was a terrible challenge.”

He agreed -- well, enough to stop the play and award a free-kick anyway. In my opinion, the perpetrator deserved a caution, but the referee decided to keep his cards in his pocket on this occasion.

“He’s not going to be able to continue,” our head physio informed me, “You’ll have to make a substitution.”

Decisions, decisions… Anatoliy is the holding player in a midfield threesome -- a solid, energetic performer who fills the hole behind his more adventurous partners. Hamsik was an option to replace him, but, with Nurnberg dominating the midfield area, I felt his attacking tendencies might work against us. We already had Schweinsteiger attempting to make forward runs from the centre of the park and Hamsik, a player of like mind, could leave unwanted gaps for our opponents to exploit.

No, I had to play it safe. My decision was final… Lell moved to central defence; Badstuber stepped forward into the role vacated by Tymoshuk; whilst Görlitz came off the bench to fill in at right-back.

The changes worked -- in as much that we battled hard for midfield supremacy and managed to garner three decent attempts on goal. Unfortunately, Robben, Klose and Saba all fluffed their lines when called upon.

“Ah, come on!” I cried out in desperation, “Get your shots on target!”

Shortly after, the half-time whistle sounded and brought an end to a dire period of play.

“We're lucky to be level,” I told the players in the dressing-room, “If you don’t step up to the plate, we are going to lose this game. I know some of you have travelled far and wide during the last week, but, come on, give the fans something to cheer about in the second-half. This is THE Bavarian derby!”

To be honest, I wasn’t sure what else to say… hopefully it’ll be enough.

The second-half began in much the same fashion as the first had ended -- Nurnberg were proving extremely difficult to break down, but we were beginning to get to grips with their style of play. At least the players looked as if they were up for the fight now.

Shots remained few and far between, but, finally, on the hour mark, we broke the deadlock.

“Get in!” I hollered as van Buyten ran off in celebration. His fine header, from Saba’s pin-point cross, nestling in the back of our opponents net, “Now keep it tight at the back!”

Thankfully, they did, and Daniel’s strike proved to be the only goal of the game -- even the introductions of Gomes and Olic (in place of the underperforming Müller and Robben) failed to ignite our attack. It’s just been one of those days.

“Well done, lads,” I said after the game, “It wasn’t our greatest performance, but at least we won.”

After match press-conference.

“Bastian,” the reporter began, “What did you think of today’s game?”

I wasn’t going to lie, “It was a scrappy affair, as derbies sometimes are, but when the points are totted up at the end of the season these three points will carry the same weight as any earned through silky skills and fluid passing.”

“Sure,” replied the reporter, “But let’s hope the team performs better during the week. After all, Kiev are no pushovers.”

He was right, Dynamo can be difficult opponents, especially at home, and we will have to play much better than today if we’re to start our Champions League campaign with a win.

Last edited:
Brilliant story, just read through it all, the detail and sheer length is immense. Thank god i missed the break, don't think i could face that :D :'(

14th September 2009...

14th September 2009.

As we flew out to Kiev, I was happy with our current position in the Bundesliga table. We’ve only played five games, but we’re top and that’s all that matters. Hopefully, come May, we’ll still be sitting proud at the summit of the league.

View attachment 110094
3 scrappy points vs. Nurnberg put Bayern top of the table.

With little else to do, I picked up the in-flight magazine and began to read… Kiev, located on either side of the Dnieper River, is the beautifully crafted capital of independent Ukraine. Its woody hills, ravines and numerous small rivers providing a wondrous natural frame to the architecture of man.

It is one of the oldest cities of Eastern Europe and has passed through several stages of great prominence and relative obscurity during it’s rich and colourful history.

In today’s world, Kiev is regarded as an important industrial, scientific, educational and cultural centre of Eastern Europe, and is home to many high-tech industries, higher education institutions and world-famous historical landmarks including, arguably, the world’s first electric tram line and, in 2004, it was classified as a Beta global city.

No mean feat, considering it was completely destroyed in the eleventh century during the Mongol invasion of Rus. Refusing to die, the city was rebuilt to such an extent that it became the third most important city of the Russian Empire and a major centre of commerce. But more conflict would come its way and, in the turbulent aftermath of the Russian Revolution, the city was ravaged during the battles of World War I, the Russian Civil War, the Polish-Soviet War and, again, during World War II, when it was occupied by **** Germany for almost two years. However, in the post war years, the city once again picked itself up of the canvass and grew strong once more, despite its torment.

You could be forgiven for thinking history didn’t like Kiev, but the city and its people have been lucky too. No more so than when escaping the main fallout of the nearby Chernobyl catastrophe -- thanks to the prevailing northward winds at the time.

“It’s just a shame we’re only here to play a football match,” I thought. I would have liked to explore the city further. On another note, if their team is as resilient as the city it represents, we could be in for a tough time during tomorrow’s fixture.

Evening Training.

The surface at the Valeriy Lobanovs’kyi Stadium is harder than what we’re used too, but this didn’t stop the lads giving their all during our designated training session at the venue for tomorrow’s game.

Every player wants to be involved as we attempt to begin our European campaign with a bang and, I’m glad to report, after witnessing their desire during this evening’s session, I am fully convinced the players chosen will achieve this ambition.

Unfortunately, our injury list has lengthened even further… Ribery, Demechelis and van Bommel have been joined on the sidelines by Tymoshuk (sprained ankle vs. Nurnberg) and Gorlitz (pulled hamstring during tonight’s training session.) With Gorlitz breaking down, we are left with only one recognised right-back. I have my fingers (and a few other bits) crossed in the hope that Lell stays free from injury. If he doesn’t, we’ll have serious problems down the right hand side of defence during tomorrow's match-up.

The Grand Tour.

I accepted an invitation from Ihor Surkis (Dynamo’s chairman) for a guided tour of the stadium. Our clubs may be enemies tomorrow, but today we share only mutual respect. I can’t deny, I was surprised by the enormity of this club -- sometimes, we westerners can be guilty of overlooking the importance and successes of our eastern counterparts. I’m guilty of it myself, but, after this tour, I have no doubts at all that Dynamo Kiev is, indeed, a very special club…

For a start, Dynamo was, during the Soviet era, perhaps the only rival to the mighty clubs of Moscow -- challenging, and often breaking their dominance of the domestic calendar.

“The team of this time represented the national pride of Ukraine,” Ihor smiled with pride, “And, due to their successes, the Ukrainian SSR regarded them as the unofficial national team, hence its generous support of their cause.”

“Interesting,” I replied, intrigued by his words.

“Yes, it was a successful time for us,” he added, before his smile turned to sadness, “But there are darker tales associated with this club too. Have you ever seen the film, Escape to Victory?”

“Have I?” I thought, before replying, “It’s one of my favourite football films of all-time!”

“Well,” he continued, “It’s not entirely a work of fiction. Indeed, I believe the scriptwriters were inspired by events in our past.”

“Really?” I asked.

“Really,” he replied, “In particular, the infamous...”

The Death Match?” I interrupted, suddenly remembering an essay I’d written during my schooldays.

“Yes,” he nodded.

We continued the tour and, surprisingly, Ihor didn’t shy away from discussing any aspect of the club’s history.

“We’ve been hit with bribery scandals and European suspensions,” he admitted candidly, in reference to their disqualification from the 1995 European Champions League, “But those days are behind us.”

I ****** well hope so! I thought to myself, seeing as we’re facing off in a European fixture tomorrow evening!

“We’re the most successful club in the Ukraine,” he added, opening the door to the club’s trophy room, “Our trophies speak for themselves.”

And they certainly did…

25 polished trophies proudly reminded everyone of the club’s successes whilst playing in the Soviet domestic system.

“That’s impressive,” I mused.

“And yet, only half the story,” he smiled.

26 Ukrainian victories; 3 European successes; and numerous other ‘less-important’ titles.

“You’ve certainly been busy,” I joked, realising they had won both the Soviet and Ukrainian titles on more occasions than any other team.

“Thank you,” I sighed, rather disappointed that my tour of the club was about to come to an end, “It’s been interesting.”

“My pleasure,” Ihor replied as he got into his car, “ Besides, I’ll be expecting the same when I travel to Munich for the return fixture.”

“Of course,” I nodded.

“Anyway, I wish you the best of bad luck for tomorrow,” he chuckled, before driving away.

Last edited:
15th Septmeber 2009...

15th September 2009.

We arrived at the stadium two hours before kick-off and, after a short, relaxing walk through the surrounding park, we set about preparing the players for the match.

The stadium is quite small in comparison to those we’re used too -- it holds just under 17,000, but I’ve no doubts the atmosphere will be electric. If you’re wondering why the game is being played here, it’s because the larger Olympiyski stadium (the usual venue for Dynamo’s European fixtures) is shut for reconstruction.

Saying that, I imagine Dynamo’s hard-core fans will prefer the game to be played in the Valeriy Lobanovskyi anyway -- after all, it’s their team’s natural home and honour’s one of their late, great player’s and coach’s.

It’s going to be hard to break Dynamo down, especially in their own backyard and, I can’t lie, I’m feeling a little awestruck after last night’s tour. I’m hoping the players won’t sense that fear on me when I give the pre-match team-talk.

“There’ll be one or two changes tonight,” I informed the players.

Now, I know I said there’s no point in changing a winning side, but in this case I feel the changes are justified. The recent international slogs and lack of recuperation time between our last match and this one have taken their toll on some of the players -- Thomas Müller, in particular.

Tiredness can wreck a player, especially a young one, and we have a long way to go before this season draws to its end. We want to field our strongest team at all times, but we need to protect the long term ambitions of the club too. We don’t want half the squad suffering from burn-out before the end of the season’s second month! Besides, Olic is a more than able replacement.

Marek Hamsik will start his first game for us tonight, whilst Roman Pavlyuchenko takes a spot on the bench.

Bayern: Hans-Jörg ****, Christian Lell, Philipp Lahm, Daniel Van Buyten, Holger Badstuber, Marek Hamsik, Christian Saba, Bastian Schweinsteiger, Ivica Olic, Miroslav Klose, Arjen Robben.

Substitutes: Michael Rensing, Bjorn Kopplin, Danijel Pranjic, Mehmet Ekici, Mario Gomez, Thomas Müller, Roman Pavlyuchenko.

Dynamo Kiev 0 Bayern Munich 4.

(Venue : Valeriy Lobanovskyi Stadium, Attendance : 14,287.)

It was a breezy night… though not as breezy as the score-line might suggest. Dynamo started well (as we expected) amidst the cheers and chants of the majority of the fans packed into this cosy arena.

We knew the opening exchanges would be difficult to navigate. Dynamo have a collection of talented, if largely unknown footballers. Most notably, Ayila Yussuf, a tenacious tackler who tries to dominate midfield; Roman Zozulya, a tricky right-sided youngster who already has 3 caps for the Ukrainian national side; and Artem Mileyskyi, arguably, the club’s brightest attacking prospect since, well, his current strike-partner, the legendary Andrei Shevchenko.

Still, I believed we had enough power within our own ranks to gain a positive result from the game, especially after news filtered through prior to kick-off that Olexandr Shovkovskyi, our opponents highly rated Number One, had been injured during his warm-up.

Shevchenko drove his team forward during the opening minutes -- he may be getting on a bit, but there’s still plenty of tricks left in this old dog yet. Luckily for us, Hans’ (our very own ‘old dog’) was on top form too -- diving between the sticks with the vitality of an excited pup playing chase for the very first time. We rave about the talent of youngsters breaking into the senior game, but, sometimes, you have to sit back and admire the matured brilliance of their elders.

Twenty minutes passed before we fashioned our first effort on goal -- Hamsik shooting high and wide from 18 yards. For sure, the opening period had been disappointing as far as we were concerned and I was already contemplating changes for half-time.

I needn’t have worried though -- Klose, another golden oldie, climbed highest to head home Schweinsteiger’s cross on 38 minutes.

“Keep it tight,” I said to the team at half-time, “We’re half way to victory. Work hard and close down their options. We can win this!”

Unfortunately, for the viewer at least, two tired teams took to the field for the second-half -- our players weren’t the only ones suffering from the added burden of recent World Cup qualifiers.

Despite a bright start, the game had slowly become a stagnant affair and boos of frustrated boredom began to ring around the stadium.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

“Goal!”

What? Where? I didn’t see that coming!

Out of nowhere, we had claimed a second goal. Robben, completely ineffective until now, pounced on a terrible miss-kick by Dynamo’s Sergiy Vaschuk, leaving him with a simple tap-in. Despite playing poorly, we found ourselves two goals up on foreign soil!

“We’ll take this,” I sighed with relief.

From then on, it was a different game. Dynamo pushed forward and forced Hans’ to make a number of decent saves -- they needed a goal, and quick.

“Soak it up and counter!” I called to the lads, as Pavlyuchenko, our Russian debutant, took to the field in place of the exhausted Arjen Robben.

The lads listened and carried out my plan to perfection -- making use of the extra space vacated by Dynamo’s goal chasing players. None more so than Pavlyuchenko, who supplied the killer pass for both of our late strikes -- Olic heading in his cross on 83 minutes, before firing home a pin-point through ball as the game entered into injury time.

It was a great score-line, but a dour spectacle. We can do better, and we’ll have too -- Dynamo had been tough opponents for most of the game, but, eventually, their naivety in defence cost them dear. I have a feeling the ‘big-guns’ won’t be so charitable towards us.

As we boarded the plane home my thoughts centred on Ihor. After his fantastic show of hospitality last evening, I couldn’t help but feel a little sorry for him. Hes a proud man and a heavy home defeat, like the one his team suffered tonight, will hit him hard. But that’s football, I guess.

“Did you hear the Porto score?” Andries asked, interrupting my quiet moment.

“No, not yet,” I replied, shaking my head.

“They won 3-0 at home,” he informed, with a contented smile, “We’re top of the group on goals scored.”

Touching down in Munich, I turned on my mobile. A message beeped in almost instantly:

“Well done. I watched the game on television. Good result. I’m looking forward to rejoining training. Franck.”

“Wow,” I thought as I stuffed my mobile back into my pocket and relaxed, contented, in my seat.

It was a nice gesture -- one that took balls too. As you know, Franck hasn’t been the easiest to work with since I got the top job -- heck, he’s even thrown personal insults at me, but, at last, he seems to be coming around.

Maybe it’s got something to do with his impending return to training? He’s due back in just over a week and, generally, even unhappy players want to play. Then again, perhaps he’s seen our run of good results and has changed his opinion of me? With that in mind, maybe he thinks the club can compete for trophies with this ‘two-bit youth coach’ at the helm after all?

I don’t know his reasons and, to be honest, I feel no need to probe him on the matter. So long as he gives his all when available, I’ll be fine with him. He’s still one of us and, thanks to his text, I can finally let go of the bad minded thoughts that’d been festering in the back of my mind since he first kicked-off a few weeks back…

“A team full of Frenchman competing at the World Cup… well, if they’re all of like-mind to Franck they’ll bomb out in the group stages,” I’d scoffed over lunch one day. Looking back, how silly am I? No wonder Andries had managed little more than a polite chuckle in response.

The French won’t fail at the World Cup -- how could they? They’ve one of the strongest squads on paper and Franck is their silky-skilled talisman. It’ll be good to have him back in the red and white jersey of Bayern -- if he knuckles down and gets on with his job, that is.

Another fine update. You seem to be doing very well with this bayern team, although it is packed full of stars. Im hoping pav will get a run in the team soon. Keep up the great work carine

Another fine update. You seem to be doing very well with this bayern team, although it is packed full of stars. Im hoping pav will get a run in the team soon. Keep up the great work carine

Cheers m8 :) Yeah, results have been good so far, but, in all honesty, I haven't really played any of the big teams yet and I do have the best squad in the domestic league. Won't know how good the team is until I play against the likes of United, Barcelona etc... Werder's up next, which should be a harder fixture than previous ones.

---------- Post added at 04:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:18 PM ----------

Arriving home.

Who is this woman?”

“Erm,” I stuttered, as Anita held a flyer up to my face.

It was Resi… or, to be more precise, it was Resi and me sitting together in the Bayern dugout -- my arm around her shoulders; smiles beaming bright on both our faces.

“You’ve not mentioned her before,” my wife added.

“Erm,” I stuttered again, my mind drawing blank momentarily -- I was tired. I’d just travelled all the way from Kiev and was expecting my wife’s normal welcome upon entering our house. Normally, we greet each with cuddles and kisses -- not inquisitive suspicions.

“Well?”

“She’s a student,” I replied, gathering my scattered mind, “She won a competition set-up by Franz. She gets to interview me once a week… or whenever I’ve free time from the team.”

“O,” Anita sighed, looking at the picture once again, “She’s beautiful.”

“Really?” I answered, planting a kiss on her forehead, “I hadn’t noticed.”

I hadn’t noticed? Give over! Of course I’d noticed, but I wasn’t going to say so in front of my wife.

“She writes well too,” Anita continued, seemingly content with my explanations, “She’s portrayed you in a very good light. You should invite her over for dinner one evening. She could write a little piece about your softer side. The side I know.”

“Erm,” I stuttered for a third time, “I could do.”