Being Bastian... (A Bayern Munich Story)

excellent update mate, really good story and i'm sure Pav will do fine for you!

also, you know where i am if you need any kits :')

nice signing there with pav! sami and mats will be 2 more quality ones if you get em! Nice updates too mate! looking forward to seeing who you go after with the funds you get from ribery deal!

22nd August 2009...

^^ Thanks for all your comments guys :) Very much appreciated. And thanks to those of you who nominated the story for Story of the Year :)

22nd August 2009.

We arrived in Bochum nice and early. The players will have an hour or two to relax and recover from the journey -- to stretch their legs and get the blood pumping through their veins again -- before we reconvene at 12.30pm to prepare for the challenge ahead.

Bochum will provide us with a tough test today -- our title credentials will be under the spotlight, and I hope we can pass with flying colours.

The mood within the camp is good -- despite the media slating of our newest acquisition, the players seem happy with our transfer dealings to date.

Marek and Roman have travelled with the squad, but they will not play today.

Despite the result, the team performed well in our last match and it wouldn’t be right to upset the balance. With better luck in front of goal we would have crushed our last opponents so I will talk up the positives in today’s pre-match team-talk.

Besides, the two new guys need at least another week to adjust to their new surroundings, team-mates and the style of play required for the Bundesliga. They’ll be better off watching from the stands today -- enjoying the game and learning a little more of what will be expected from them.

VFL Bochum 0 Bayern Munich 3.

(Venue : rewirpowerSTADION Attendance : 30,592)

A healthy crowd passed through the turnstiles to voice their support for the hosts.

“One thing you have to get used too,” Andries said, “Is everybody wants to beat Bayern and everybody wants to be there when it happens.”

Whether or not his words were true, it certainly appeared the case today.

Bayern: Hans-Jörg ****, Christian Lell, Philip Lahm, Daniel Van Buyten, Holger Badstuber, Anatoliy Tymoschuk, Mark van Bommel, Bastian Schweinseiger, Thomas Müller, Miroslav Klose, Arjen Robben.

Substitutes : Michael Rensing, Andreas Görlitz, Danijel Pranjic, Daniel Sikorski, Björn Kopplin, Mehmet Ekici, Ivica Olic.

The lads put in a great performance. Keeping faith in last week’s team has certainly paid dividends. I knew it would -- all that was missing from our previous game was a clinical touch in front of goal, and that was certainly not the case today.

Tenacious midfielder Mark van Bommel fired us ahead as early as the 11th minute, unleashing an absolute screamer form the edge of the 18 yard box.

Bochum put up the expected fight and really dug deep for the remainder of the first-half. We found it difficult to crack open their stubborn defence, despite some tidy possession and build-up play.

The half-time whistle blew and we made our way to the changing room.

“Well done lads,” I said, “You’re putting on a good show out there today. Keep up the hard work, raise the tempo a little and try to feed the ball out to Arjen more often -- he‘s got the beating of his marker today. They won’t be able to keep you at arms length for much longer. They’re tiring. Let’s put this game to bed.”

“Come on,” Philip (Lahm) cried out as the referee blew to signal the start of the second half, “This is our game today lads!”

And it was -- they played with great vigour, style and ambition. Never giving the Bochum defence an easy moment to catch their breath.

To be fair, our opponents held firm for much longer than I thought they would and even managed to muster the odd foray into our own box -- luckily, **** remained focused throughout, despite being a virtual spectator for long periods, and produced two good saves to keep us in the lead.

Finally, as we entered the final 20 minutes of the game, we scored for a second time. It was a good goal too -- Schweinsteiger tracking back a good 30 yards to break up a Bochum attack before releasing Robben down the wing with a fantastic 50 yard ball into feet.

“Go on lad,” I called out, as Arjen collected the ball and dummied his way past the first defender, “Look for Thomas in the middle.”

He ignored my calls and knocked the ball to the left of the defender as he ran around the other side. I should have known better than to offer advice to the flying Dutchman -- when he’s in full flow and heading towards goal there’s only one thing on his mind…

BOOM! What a goal! A beautiful strike past the despairing dive of the out-rushing goalkeeper.

I can not believe that Real Madrid sold this player. It seems like a decision you’d only see on a football management simulation, but, then again, we are talking about Real here. There’s more ins-and-outs at Real than… well a high-class brothel, I suppose.

“That’s it,” I smiled as the scoreboard passed 74 minutes, “This game’s won. Let’s get some fresh legs out there.”

I called Görlitz, Pranjic and Olic from the bench and gave them their instructions.

“Who are you taking off?” Andries asked.

“Lell, Lahm and Klose,” I replied, “They’ve ran themselves into the ground today and, at 2-0 up, they deserve a rest.”

Less than 10 minutes later, we grabbed a third goal as tiredness finally caught up with our opponents -- Bochum have been run ragged out there today and they deserve credit for their ‘never-say-die’ attitude, but, in most cases, class will almost certainly shine through. Anthar Yahia, so strong for Bochum today, allowed an easy ball to escape his tired control. Müller ran free with only the goalkeeper to beat and (putting all thoughts of last week’s media criticisms behind him) scored with a cool finish. It will do wonders for the young lad’s confidence.

I shook every players hand as they entered the dressing room and thanked them for their wonderful performance on the field. Everyone played well and performed their parts brilliantly, but, still, one man stood slightly taller than the rest.

“Well done Bastian,” I said with a broad smile, “You were excellent out there today.”

Being awarded ‘Man of the Match’ justified my extra praise. Schweinsteiger is a hard-working yet classy performer. His skills and vision are a great asset to the team. He might not have scored out there today, but his two assists certainly paved the way to victory.

Three points ‘in the bag’, two players transferred in, and at least two more to follow. It’s a good day to be in charge of Bayern -- a very good day indeed. This evening’s trip home to Munich will be a happy one, for sure.

It was late evening by the time we disembarked the team coach and made our way out into the club’s car-park. I sat behind the wheel of my motor and allowed myself a wry smile, “Thing’s are beginning to look up at last.”

My mobile rang, “Hello,” I answered.

“Bastian,” a panic stricken voice called down the phone, “There’s been a crash!”

best story going so far mate keep up the brilliant work. loving the suspence, I hope no one was seriously injured in the crash.

^^ Cheers everyone :) Thanks for your comments and hope you keep following :)

23rd August 2009...

23rd August 2009.

How are you feeling?” I asked.

I’m ok,” she answered.

It was the first time I’d met her and, to be frank, she was quite beautiful -- her hair, well-groomed and blonde, overflowed the sandy coloured banks of her shoulders and framed her pretty face perfectly. Her eyes, deep and passionate, yet full of anguish -- it’s no surprise really, given the shock of last night’s events.

The doctor said he’ll be fine,” I said, trying to comfort her.

Yes, I know,” she sighed, relieved, “but everything’s happened so fast. I was knocked for six when I heard the news. I feared the worst.”

I bought her a coffee and continued to offer a comforting shoulder.

Thanks,” she smiled -- a wide, infectious smile full of brilliant white teeth.

“No worries. If you need anything, don’t hesitate to ask,” I replied.

“Excuse me,” the nurse said, politely interrupting our conversation, “Your husband is awake. You can see him now.”

“Good,” his wife replied. She thanked me for my company and then followed the nurse out of the cafeteria.

I’m hoping I’ll be able to see him too, before I have to leave -- Andries is more than capable of overseeing team affairs in my absence, but, still, I need to get back to the training ground as soon as possible. It’s my job after all.

I sat alone with a cup of coffee and remembered last night’s phone call. It was all I could do to take my mind of the smells and sounds that accompany most hospitals. To be truthful, I hate hospitals -- not the brilliant work carried out within them (of course not) but the uneasy aura that creeps along the corridors and loiters in the rooms. I don’t think I’ve ever visited a hospital without shivers crawling all over my skin…

A crash?” I had stuttered.

Yes,” Christian sighed. It was obvious that he was in shock, “On Chester Road, Manchester. It’s not serious, but Franck is in hospital. Early reports suggest he’s dislocated his shoulder and sprained his ankle.”

So long as he’s alright,” I answered, “That’s the main thing.”

Aye,” Christian replied, “He’s going to receive treatment in England for the next couple of days. When he’s well enough to travel we’ll bring him back to Munich. He won’t pass a medical in his condition -- not in this transfer window anyhow.”

A couple of days?” I mused, “I’ll go and see him.”

Franck has caused me much trouble since my appointment as manager of Bayern, but I would never wish harm on another person -- it’s not my place to judge the actions of others and, now that Manchester United have pulled out of negotiations, Franck remains our player. It’s not ideal, but we’ll all just have to get on together… for the time being.

Or am I being too harsh? After all, he was proven ‘not guilty’ in The Case of the Belgium Drunk.

Of course,” Christian added, “Book your flights to the club’s accounts,” he paused for a moment, as if deep in thought, before adding, “Franck’s injuries will affect our transfer dealings too. We’ll have to pull the plug on Sami and Mats -- those deals were based on the incoming funds from Manchester.”

I can't deny that’s a difficult pill to swallow -- the deals for Sami and Mats would have been brilliant for the club, but, as I understand, we can not go ahead with deals if it means the club must walk a financial tightrope. Christian’s list of stars will have to go in a drawer until further notice… hopefully, in January, we might be able to resume business.

“Mr. Badstuber,” a nurse called from the hallway, “Mrs. Ribery said to fetch you.”

I got up and followed the nurse to Franck’s ward.

How are you feeling?” I asked, taking a seat beside him. It was one of those awkward questions that no one likes to ask, but what else can you say when someone’s laid out on a hospital bed and high on painkillers?

He didn’t reply -- whatever drugs they’d pumped him full off had certainly done the trick. Instead, Wahiba, his wife, smiled for him.

“He’ll be fine,” she sighed with relief, “The girls can’t wait to come and visit. I’ll bring them tomorrow.”

I sat at the bedside for about an hour -- conversation with Franck was almost non-existent, but at least I knew I was there offering my support.

I’ll have to be going,” I said, checking my watch, “I have to fly back to Munich this evening.”

Franck nodded gently -- the best response he could manage in his current state, as Wahiba followed me into the corridor.

“Thank you for coming Bastian,” she smiled.

“I just wanted him to know the club will support him,” I replied.

“Yes,” she mused with a wry smile, “Perhaps all this is for the best anyway.”

“What do you mean?” I asked, full of curiosity.

“Well… between you and me,” she whispered, “I’m happy in Munich and, more importantly, the girls are enjoying their schooling. Munich’s our home now. I don’t want to live in Manchester… I've heard it rains there most of the time.”

For the best? I’d beg to differ -- we’ve two cancelled transfers and a disgruntled player stuck on our books, but we’ll see…

Last edited:
Great update Carine
Can't wait to see what will happen with Franck
I think he will bounce back and be the best player for you ;)

^^ Cheers for your comments guys :) And thanks to everyone who nominated the story for the Story of the Year competition -- very much appreciated. They'll be another update soon -- hope y'all keep following :)

Great storytelling... Never have I seen an FM story as dedicated as this one. Hope Munich does well even if you still have that Ribery clown. Besides, you did get Hamsik.

24th to 26th August 2009...

Great storytelling... Never have I seen an FM story as dedicated as this one. Hope Munich does well even if you still have that Ribery clown. Besides, you did get Hamsik.

Cheers m8 :) Thanks very much -- hope you keep following :)

24th August to 26th August 2009.

The next two days passed by with little incident. Franck is continuing his recovery in Manchester and the club is supporting his wife and children as best they can. When he returns to full fitness, he will be available for first-team selection -- at least until January. I haven’t spoken with the players about his possible return yet, but they are professionals and I expect they will put past events behind them and look to the future.

Training has progressed well as we continue to prepare for our next match. Gladbach will be tough opponents, but I feel we will be strong enough to claim the points, especially at home. We need to put on a show for the fans -- our last home match ended in a disappointing stalemate and the media battered us throughout the following week.

The result against Bochum has stemmed the flow of media abuse for now, but failure to beat Gladbach in our upcoming match will provide them with a fresh batch of ammunition.

I also spoke with Resi. At first, I thought it might be a chore to fulfil this ‘contract’, even for only half-an-hour a week, but I’ve found her to be a delightful and happy presence to have around. I enjoyed her company and friendly interviewing manner and, perhaps, I could allow her more time in the future? Maybe even access to the training ground?

I look forward to seeing her first publication. She will produce a small magazine-type flyer that will be available within the university -- I have asked for a copy.

Last edited:
Couple of great updates there buddy :) I must admit, I was looking forward to the Ribery sale haha! Good luck against Gladbach :)

Couple of great updates there buddy :) I must admit, I was looking forward to the Ribery sale haha! Good luck against Gladbach :)

Cheers Toddzy -- the sale might happen yet. Ribery's about as unsettled as you can get (he hates me for some reason) and United's interest is pretty strong :)