Being Bastian... (A Bayern Munich Story)

• Thread starter Thread starter Carine
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 265
  • Views Views 39K
27th July 2009...

27th July 2009.

It started off as a slow day, but the pace soon quickened...

For the first time in ages I woke up to my wife -- her beautiful smile greeting my blurry morning vision. All the pressure of my job disappears when I see her.

After breakfast, I went to see Christian. He wants to scout Hamsik one more time before making any move in the transfer market. We discussed the team’s performance over the last few weeks and bounced ideas off each other regarding potential transfers. Christian has some good players in mind and I am interested to see what he will do over the coming days.

The players arrived back in Munich at 12.30pm. It was nice to see them again -- it’s only been a day, but the circumstances of my sudden departure were not great. I congratulated them on their latest victory and discussed the previous day’s press conference. They are unaffected by the recent news, which is music to my ears.

“These things happen in football,” Miroslav said, “I’ve seen it a hundred times, but the media love to blow things out of proportion.”

Kit unveiling - 4pm.

We gathered at the stadium for the unveiling of our new kit. Photographers were everywhere -- clambering for the best vantage point, like wild animals fighting over a scrap of meat.

It’s a proud day for our club -- Adidas have chosen us to launch their new brand. Franz spoke to the media and thanked members of both Adidas and Deutsche Telekom for their continued support.

“This is a fine day for all involved,” the head spokesman of Adidas added, “Today, we launch our newest brand -- Retrodude09.”

View attachment 97151
Adidas's newest brand.​

“Yes,” Franz replied, beaming with pride. I doubt there is another man alive who loves this club as much as he does, “And without further ado,” he continued, “Please welcome the Bayern players onto the field.”

We got to our feet and clapped as the first team squad walked out onto the pitch, posing for the cameras. They sported the new Retrodude09 home, away and third kit, as well as new training tops and other related apparel. As expected, the photographers went crazy -- shooting hundreds of pictures per second.

View attachment 97153View attachment 97152View attachment 97154
Bayern Munich's new range of football shirts (from left - Home, Away &Third.)​

It was a proud day for all involved and a well earned break from the stresses of recent criticisms. Today marks the beginning of a new era. We certainly look the part in our shiny new clothing.

With our pre-season programme out of the way, the real work can begin...

A huge thank you to *Jones* (Retrodude09) for making the kits -- quality work m8 :)

Click following link for info on getting your own done...

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/f78/jones-kit-request-thread-retrodude09-t43666.html

Last edited:
Those are smashing kits they really are :) who made them for you? But another great update and its good to see this story continue :) Unbeleivable your on your third page and we're still waiting on your league campaign to begin :O haha! Keep it up mate :)

Those are smashing kits they really are :) who made them for you? But another great update and its good to see this story continue :) Unbeleivable your on your third page and we're still waiting on your league campaign to begin :O haha! Keep it up mate :)

Cheers m8 :) Yeah, it is a bit long, lol.

Info added to bottom of previous post regarding the kit maker :)

I'd just like to say for anyone interested in the kits i made;
my thread is currently closed as i'm pretty far behind with requests!
but certainly use my thread for kits :')

28th July -- 31st July 2009...

28th July -- 31st July 2009.

We worked hard over the next few days -- scouting our upcoming opponents; finalising our tactics; and implementing our plans on the training ground. Our pre-season friendlies had gone well (superbly, in some cases) but we can not ignore the frailties they brought to light -- doing so would be suicidal in terms of winning trophies.

After speaking with the coaches, I decided to put Philip Lahm on extra finishing training -- he is a speedy fullback who often gets forward to join attacks and the team could reap the benefits of an improvement in his shooting.

Andreas Görlitz, possibly our number one right-back after Altintops transfer to Liverpool, has refused to sign a new contract. This is a blow. Apparently, he is finding it difficult to settle in the team; to handle the pressure of playing for Bayern; and, more importantly, having personal problems. I will need to talk to him and see if we (the club) can help him overcome these issues.

View attachment 97349
Görlitz, suffering from pressure?​

After much deliberation, I have finally named the clubs Captain and Vice Captain for the season. Philip Lahm and Mark van Bommel have been handed the roles and the news seems to have gone down well with players, fans and media alike. Philip is a strong character, an international, and a proven leader. Mark possesses the same attributes and could easily have taken the main job, but Philip is the personification of everything this club wishes to promote -- for that reason, there could be no other choice.

View attachment 97352View attachment 97350
Lahm and van Bommel -- Bayern's leaders on the pitch.​

Christian has been working hard to finalise improved contract terms for the best youth prospects at the club. This is great news -- there are some brilliant players in the Under-19s and we cant allow them to be poached. They are the future of this great club.

Tomorrow, we play FC Ingolstadt in the DFB-Pokal cup. I wanted to use the cup match to progress the talents of some of the younger players. Unfortunately, the fans expect victory tomorrow -- failure will not be tolerated -- and my team selection will be hampered by this. I cant afford to lose and, as a result, many of the big names will have to play in place of the youths.

When all appears smooth sailing, the wind sneaks up and blows you off course… Manchester United have announced their intentions to sign Franck Ribéry to the world’s media. I don’t like their behaviour -- their underhand tactics -- especially when one considers their manager slated Real Madrid for doing the exact same thing only a matter of weeks ago.

View attachment 97351
Sir Alex tells the press -- "I want Ribéry at Old Trafford."​

Christian has rebuffed their attempts to strike up a deal, but, if they raise their offer in the coming weeks, he may find it harder to stand his ground.

Franck is quiet on the subject, but I feel a storm is brewing up ahead.

Anyway, enough of Manchester United, we must push their meddlesome comments to one side and concentrate on the main matter in hand -- beating FC Ingolstadt

Last edited:
Noticed this before but never taken the time to read through until now and glad i have now! Brilliant story mate.

Ingolstadt versus Bayern...

31st July 2009 -- 5pm.

“This is it,” Andries smiled, patting me on the back, “You’re first competitive game in charge of the mighty Bayern. Good luck.”
“Thank you,” I replied as the referee blew his whistle to start the match.

FC Ingolstadt 0 Bayern Munich 2.

(Venue : Tuja-Stadion. Attendance : 11,418.)

We fielded a very strong team -- upsets are becoming common place in domestic cups due to the importance bigger clubs place on European competition. I didn’t want us to fall into that category and fail at the first hurdle -- especially, given my already precarious position at the helm…

Bayern -- Hans-Jörg ****, Christian Lell, Philip Lahm, Daniel Van Buyten, Holger Badstuber, Anatoliy Tymoschuk, Franck Ribéry, Bastian Schweinsteiger, Thomas Muller, Miroslav Klose, Arjen Robben.

Substitutes -- Michael Rensing, Andreas Görlitz, Danijel Pranjic, Daniel Sikorski, Bjorn Kopplin, Mark van Bommel, Ivica Olic.

If truth be told, this was by no means one of Bayern’s greatest performances. But it didn’t matter -- we were through to the next round and I was happy with the professionalism of the players.

As a contest, we were rarely threatened, and two goals in the first half-an-hour ensured our opponents would spend the rest of the afternoon chasing the game in the hot sunshine.

Ribéry (despite any off-field problems) played a great game and oozed composure throughout. There’s no doubt in my mind he deserved the Man of the Match award after opening the scoring on 5 minutes and providing the killer pass for Lahm to double the lead in the 26th minute.

It was pleasing to see Sikorski and Kopplin (along with Pranjic) enter the field of play in the 73 minute -- if these youngsters fulfil their potential the club’s future will be in good hands.

The only downside, if I’m to be picky, would be the yellow card picked up by Daniel Van Buyten midway through the second-half. Then again, if that’s my biggest problem today, I will go home to my wife a happy man.

At the final whistle, I shook hands with my opposite number and congratulated him on the spirit of his team.

I began to walk towards the tunnel, but a reporter grabbed hold of my arm and pulled me to one side.

“Bastian,” he began, shoving a microphone in my face, “What are your thoughts on today’s match?”
“O,” I stuttered, caught unawares, before composing myself, “I thought we did well. It was an efficient performance from the players and their work rate paid dividends. It may not be the gigantic score that some hoped for, but Ingolstadt are a good team and we had to respect them. Many teams fall on an underdogs sword purely because they fail to respect the strengths of their opponents.”
“Wise words,” the reporter said, nodding his head in half-agreement, “But can you win trophies playing in such a conservative manner?”
“Of course,” I replied, “Though our tactics change depending on the challenge laid out before us. We weren’t playing to win a trophy today, we were playing to avoid an embarrassing defeat and progress to the next round.”
“I see," he said, "Did you worry that your players would find motivation hard to come by in a game they were expected to win at a canter?”
“No, of course not,” I chuckled, “I can assure you that everyone associated with this club was motivated for today’s game. I had no worries what-so-ever before kick-off.”
“Good,” the reporter mused, “Many pundits are tipping you to win the DFB-Pokal cup this season. You certainly have a capable squad at your disposal. How do you rate your chances of success?
“The squad is good, as you mention,” I replied, “And so is the backroom staff and boardroom. We are a strong unit, for sure. I feel we have as good a chance as any of lifting the trophy, but let’s not get too far ahead of ourselves... This is the first match of the season and anything could happen from here on in. Anyway, I have to be going. I’ve a team talk to give.”
“Thanks for your time, Bastian,” the reporter added.
“Don't mention it,” I smiled, quite content with my own performance.

Finally, thanks to the result, I was able to stand in front of the media without worrying what they might ask. We had won the game and that is all they are interested in… for now.

“What did you think?” I asked Andries on the coach journey home.
“Not bad,” he replied, shrugging his shoulders, “It was a professional display, but difficult to learn from.”
“What do you mean?” I queried.
“Well,” he began, running over the game in his mind, “We looked strong in every position, but we were never put under any form of pressure. I can’t recall Hans making a save.”

He was right -- though they put up a good, organised fight, our opponents didn’t quite have the class required to ‘test’ out our defence.

“I think we’ll be okay,” he added, “But time is running out. We must watch the next few games like hawks. Any problems that can’t be solved in-house must be identified as soon as possible.”

“Yes,” I agreed. He brought good points to the fore.

“Christian is good at his job,” he continued, “Excellent in fact, but he can’t perform miracles. If there’s a problem, he knows to know in good time -- at least a week before the transfer window shuts.”

I nodded and then slinked back in my seat. We still had a fair way to travel and I would spend the rest of our journey pondering his advice.

Last edited:
great updates mate! keep em up! really enjoying following this story! looking forward to seeing what happens with Ribery and how you will replace him if he goes!

1st August 2009...

1st August 2009 - 7am.

I woke to the familiar aromas of my wife’s cooking, “Ah, splendid,” I yawned, my mouth watering in anticipation.

I’m sure Anita could cook well enough for a King, but she would never boast such a thing herself. She is a modest woman -- something that attracted me from the off. Of course, she is enticing to the eye too, with the fiery hair of an Irish beauty; eyes that can muddle my thoughts with a single glance; and lips able to dispel all my troubles with a simple kiss. Above all else, her inner beauty could melt hearts of stone -- so caring and wanting of others to succeed.

“You were late home last night,” she sighed, her disappointment obvious.
“Yes,” I replied, understanding her recent loneliness and dislike of falling asleep alone in our marital bed, “I’m sorry, but it can’t be helped.”
“It okay,” she smiled, handing me my breakfast, “We knew it would be different when you took the job.”

10am - 12.30pm.

This morning’s training session went well. Of course, we did nothing too strenuous due to last night’s game, but, still, the attitude and effort within the camp is extremely good.

---------- Post added at 11:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:27 AM ----------

great updates mate! keep em up! really enjoying following this story! looking forward to seeing what happens with Ribery and how you will replace him if he goes!

Cheers m8 -- always nice to see a returning poster :) Good to see you're still following, Thanks!

---------- Post added at 12:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:29 AM ----------

1st August 2009 -- 1pm - 2pm.

“Meet me in the club’s cafeteria for lunch. I have news updates for you,” read the message on my mobile from Franz.

“The club has announced a new link-up with Dutch side Vitesse,” he began, “We will be able to send out players on loan to them.”
“Good,” I replied, “That should help the development of some of our better youngsters.”
“Yes,” he answered, “The Dutch league is one of the best for enhancing the technical aspects of ones skills. Many world stars learned their trade in the Eredivision.”

I was excited by this link-up. We have a few players in the Under-19s who are ready for full-blooded competitive matches -- not quite ready for Bayern‘s first team, but certainly able to perform to a high standard elsewhere.

“We have also negotiated a first option clause on their players for the duration of our contract,” he added, “It’s going to cost us an extra couple of thousand per year, but I feel it could be worth it.”

He was right -- gaining first options can be a valuable advantage.

“As for the boring stuff,” he added, “We held a board meeting the other day to discuss the general running of the club. The board are content with your performance so far. We’ve made a profit this month too, which is good considering all the travelling about and lack of competitive attendances we’ve had. Obviously, the sale of Hamit helped, but, still, it’s a job well done. “
“Thank you,” I replied.

We chatted a while longer. All in all, he seems pleased with my general handling of the team, if a little disappointed at being ‘left in the dark’ concerning the bust-up in Belgium. In all honesty, he didn’t need to say much else on this matter, his steely stare warning enough.

“Keep up the good work,” he said, standing up in readiness to leave the club’s cafeteria, “I’m looking forward to the Mainz game at the weekend.”
“So am I,” I replied with a nervous smile.

Last edited:
Sorry mate, I got roped into doing a load of committee work for a local club and it's taken up most of my time this week (and pushed me to the limits of my boredom threshold, lol.) I'll get back to this story asap and update tomorrow. Once again, sorry for the delay.

Just spend a good 45 min reading all this... You want to be an author... I think you could easily become 1

Just spend a good 45 min reading all this... You want to be an author... I think you could easily become 1

Cheers for the comment m8 and thanks for taking the time to read through it all :) I'm writing a novel at the moment, but finding the publishing world very difficult to break into :(

I'll have an update up today if all goes to plan. Thanks again :)

---------- Post added at 01:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:29 AM ----------

2nd August to 7th August 2009.

It’s been a quiet six days -- too quiet perhaps, considering the events of recent weeks, but, I can’t complain.

I must admit it’s nice to turn up for work and carry out my duties without the unwanted hassles of outside influences or a grumpy player within the camp -- as you can probably guess, Franck has knuckled down of late and seems to be pulling in the same direction as the rest of us.

Training has been intense to say the least, but good and the team is well drilled for our next match. Hopefully, our hard work will be rewarded with victory in our opening Bundesliga match. We need to try and set an early pace this year -- we have many rivals for the title and a positive start will stand us in good stead. I need to get the fans onside too -- I know I’m not their favoured choice as manager, but I hope to prove myself worthy of their support over time.

With a full week in Munich, I was able to treat my wife to a night out in a fancy restaurant. We enjoyed a romantic evening and, after all these years, there is still no one else I would prefer to spend my time with.

As the evening drew to a close a collection of photographers flashed their cameras through the window in the hope of gaining a cheeky image for their employers. There is nothing to see here though -- just a happily married couple enjoying one another’s company. Still, I get the feeling Anita doesn’t like the limelight. To be honest, I’m not enamoured to it myself and a quick word in the ear of the restaurant’s manager was enough to see them banished from the sidewalk.

I received a phone call from Franz. Apparently, the club is offering a local student the chance to cover ‘life at Bayern’ during the course of this season. Franz feels it will show the community that we are not a closed ship and he has asked me to take the student under my wing. I agreed, though in truth I don’t think Der Kaiser was asking for my approval.

There will be a competition -- all entrants must be studying journalism at Munich College and must complete an essay (covering any area of the club) by the weekend. Franz will announce the winner next week and then pass them onto to me. Hopefully, he will choose well and the winner will be a down to earth chap -- I couldn’t be bothered with a snooty-nosed teenager poking his nose into the club’s (and my own) business.

Tomorrow, we kick off our league campaign against Mainz. It will be a tough fixture, especially away from home, but I am confident the lads will triumph.

Last edited:
For the future what's the name of the novel... I'll be the first one to buy it;)

For the future what's the name of the novel... I'll be the first one to buy it;)

Haha :) If I ever get it published I'll give you a free copy m8. Can't say what it's called unfortunately (due to the dark side of the internet) but it's a comedy / fantasy type of story. Hopefully someone might pick it up one day -- you gotta have a dream, lol.

There's an update above, if you haven't seen it already :)

Back