SL BENFICA VS MANCHESTER UNITED
KICK OFF -
19:45 BST
VENUE -
Estadio Da Luz, Lisbon
REFEREE -
Damir Skomina [SVN]

PREVIEW

Benfica play host to Manchester United for the first time since 2006 in the opening fixture of the UEFA Champions League 2011/12 season. In that game in 2006, Manchester United came away as 0-1 winners - a solitary goal from Louis Saha the difference on that occasion. Manchester United come into this game fresh off their 200th away win in the Premier League, a 5-0 win at Bolton thanks to 3 goals from Wayne Rooney and a brace from Javier Hernandez. Benfica come into this game after a 2-1 win at home to Vitoria Guimaraes, with a brace from the penalty spot from Paraguay striker Oscar Cardozo.

Last 3 Meetings

December 6 2006 (UCL) || Manchester United 3-1 Benfica
September 26 2006 (UCL) || Benfica 0-1 Manchester United
December 7 2005 (UCL) || Benfica 2-1 Manchester United

TEAM NEWS

Benfica are expected to line up in a 4-2-3-1 line up, although manager Jorge Jesus is known to chop and change his tactics depending on the match. Artur is expected to start in goal with the regular back four of Emerson, Garay, Luisao and Pereira in front of him. Javi Garcia is likely to shield the back four with summer signing Alex Witsel expected to play alongside him, but with some more attacking freedom. The front four ahead of them has multiple options but the most likely and most threatening (judging by this season) is Nolito, Aimar, Gaitan and Cardozo. Nolito has already scored 3 goals this season and is Benfica's top scorer in Europe.

Manchester United are expected to name a strong side, but not their strongest due to their upcoming fixture at Old Trafford on Sunday against title challengers Chelsea. Sir Alex Ferguson has stated how important it is to win the opening fixture of the tournament to get off to a good start so a lot of experience will be in the side. David De Gea is almost certain to start between the sticks for the visitors, but the defence isn't so certain. With such versatility in the side now, plus some injuries it's difficult to predict. I expect Fabio to play at right back, with Smalling and Jones at centre half with either Evans or Evra at left back. The midfield is again difficult to choose due to upcoming fixtures and great choice. I expect Michael Carrick to replace the injured Tom Cleverley in central midfield along with Anderson, with Antonio Valencia and Ashley Young to start on the wings. Wayne Rooney and Javier Hernandez should be allowed to continue their form and partnership to start up front in Portugal.

STATS

BENFICA
  • Summer signing Nolito has scored in each of his first 5 outings for Benfica.​
  • Oscar Cardozo has scored 8 goals in his last 7 games for club and country.​
  • Benfica have won three out of four of their opening league fixtures, drawing the other - scoring 9 and conceding 4.​
  • Benfica need 1 more goal to reach 50 in the UEFA Champions League​

MANCHESTER UNITED
  • Wayne Rooney has scored 8 league goals in 4 league games this season, more than every other Premier League team except Manchester City.​
  • Manchester United have scored 18 goals and conceded just 3 in their opening 4 league games.​
  • Manchester United didn't concede a single away goal in last seasons Champions League.​
  • United's away record against Portuguese teams is - W5 D1 L4​

PREDICTION

Due to the form of both sides I think it's going to be a close game, however I think the overall quality of the squads should see Manchester United come away victorious in this fixture. David De Gea kept another clean sheet at the Reebok Stadium on Saturday, which will do him the world of good, but Oscar Cardozo is in fine form so I don't see that happening again.

BENFICA 1-3 MAN UTD
Cardozo || Rooney,Young
*********Hernandez

Match Preview originally written for DMF's Football World
# # # # #

CONFIRMED LINE UPS

BENFICA XI: Artur, Emerson, Luisao, Maxi, Garay, Amorim, Garcia, Aimar, Gaitan, Witsel, Cardozo.

MUFC XI:
Lindegaard, Fabio, Smalling, Evans, Evra, Carrick, Fletcher, Giggs, Valencia, Park, Rooney
Subs; De Gea, Jones, Anderson, Nani, Hernandez, Berbatov, Owen

Last edited:
Hoping for a slick 2-0, know it will be very difficult and underestimating Benfica would be suicidal.

Really disappointed that he's dropped De Gea. It's obviously to rotate and keep others happy, but I'm sure De Gea was looking forward to playing in the CL for United. Still a strong team but I would have preferred to give Berrba a start and played Rooney in behind him, or even given Rooney a rest. Still a strong side theough and an incredible bench

******* brilliant lindegaard!, hopefully he will do some world class keeping today, and bash de gea off the goal

gutted for de gea really cant understand why he is dropped have to disagree with fergie on this one!

gutted for de gea really cant understand why he is dropped have to disagree with fergie on this one!

True, but Anders hasn't come to United to sit on the bench, he deserves some game time!..

Also annoyed that Evans has been chosen ahead of Jones, Jones is an absolute beast.

Not dropped, rested for Sunday, along with Hernandez, Young, Nani, Jones and Anderson. More gutted for Young, not even in the matchday squad.

Lol is United understimating Benfica

Not dropped, rested for Sunday, along with Hernandez, Young, Nani, Jones and Anderson. More gutted for Young, not even in the matchday squad.
yes can undrestand i suppose sunday is massive game think we will still get result 3-1

---------- Post added at 07:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:16 PM ----------

Dropped? What are you, The Daily Mail?
sorry mate i dont understandoO)

---------- Post added at 07:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:17 PM ----------

True, but Anders hasn't come to United to sit on the bench, he deserves some game time!..

Also annoyed that Evans has been chosen ahead of Jones, Jones is an absolute beast.
totaly agree mate jones is beast just thought anders would play more in carling/fa cup.

Lol is United understimating Benfica

No, but there are 6 games minimum in this competition so a win is important but not the only option. Sunday we face Chelsea at Old Trafford. We only get that game once a season so it's more important in the long run. The side put out tonight though is more than capable of beating Benfica and I still expect us to win.

You shouldn't need to rest a 'keeper though really. I think SAF is confident that we will win all the other group games so it could be a good move to give Lindegaard a decent test in this game

You shouldn't need to rest a 'keeper though really. I think SAF is confident that we will win all the other group games so it could be a good move to give Lindegaard a decent test in this game

Don't think it's so much as a rest because he's tired, but more because he's played every game so far and we have a really important one coming up - so he's given Lindegaard a chance considering all the circumstances. Resting isn't the correct word but I don't know what else you can call it because he hasn't been dropped and it's not really rotation because De Gea is still undoubtedly No.1 for the club..

No, but there are 6 games minimum in this competition so a win is important but not the only option. Sunday we face Chelsea at Old Trafford. We only get that game once a season so it's more important in the long run. The side put out tonight though is more than capable of beating Benfica and I still expect us to win.

yes but i think that jones should be in the first eleven instead of evans

yes but i think that jones should be in the first eleven instead of evans

Again, Jones has played nearly every game this season. He's very young and he played all throughout the summer for England U21's.. He'll probably play at CB with Rio on Sunday vs Chelsea and Evans will be on the bench.

Again, Jones has played nearly every game this season. He's very young and he played all throughout the summer for England U21's.. He'll probably play at CB with Rio on Sunday vs Chelsea and Evans will be on the bench.

I think SAF likes the balance with Evans on the left side, but saying that, Jones played on the left side alongside Samba for Blackburn so he will be comfortable there. I think he'll play the same back four against Chelsea that played against Bolton, but we'll see. I think it's the correct decision to play both Smalling and Fabio tonight