Best 'Goalkeeper' in the league 'at the moment' ?

• Thread starter Thread starter Billy
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 82
  • Views Views 6K

Vote for the best

• Total voters
At the moment, I'm gonna say Tim Krul. I've not seen enough of Reina or Cech. ATM De gea and Chesney aren't consistent enough. Jaaskaleinen, Howard and Friedel are all top class keepers, and have been the most consistent keepers in the PL for over 10 years, but every game I've seen Krul play for Newcastle this year he has been world class. He's a sensational keeper, and I've known him for a few years since he had a very impressive loan spell at Falkirk. Top keeper.

Cech at the moment only kept 1 clean sheet in the EPL after playing 6 of Chelsea's 8 games, making only 7 saves. The best goalkeeper in the league at the moment should be able to do better than that, IMO. Not knocking on Cech, but I really feel he should and could have done a lot better.

Voted for De Gea, simply because I'm biased and have statistics to back me up ;)

Easily Pepe Reina (and I still rated him above VDS before, though it was close). I'm disappointed that he doesn't start ahead of casillas for spain (or even valdes?).

Cech at the moment only kept 1 clean sheet in the EPL after playing 6 of Chelsea's 8 games, making only 7 saves. The best goalkeeper in the league at the moment should be able to do better than that, IMO. Not knocking on Cech, but I really feel he should and could have done a lot better.

Voted for De Gea, simply because I'm biased and have statistics to back me up
wink.gif
Clean sheets has a **** of alot to do with the defense as well. You could be the best keeper in the world but if you're defense can't defend it's not really fair looking at stats?

Lol picked Vorm cos of his performance against city, 4 goals let in but it should of been double that

1) De Gea (he has had the most shots in goal in the league and has made the most saves, save of the season:
[video]http://www.supersport.com/football/barclays-premier-league/video/111941[/video]

2) Given (pulled off some fantastic saves so far this season)
3) Szcezny (I feel so sorry for him, pulled off some of the saves of the season so far but such a leaky defence)
4) Brad Friedel (still as reliable as ever, also made some great saves)
5) Tim Krul (been really solid so far this season and the team are doing well because of it)

the thread name states at the moment and my answers are based on this season alone only! if it were for past players/seaons then there should be a lot more on there!

throw Joe Hart into my top 5 and thats it :) He has not had that much to do to be honest! he has made some fantastic saves but not tested enough yet.... (all is going to change this Sunday :P)

Easily Pepe Reina (and I still rated him above VDS before, though it was close). I'm disappointed that he doesn't start ahead of casillas for spain (or even valdes?).

Clean sheets has a **** of alot to do with the defense as well. You could be the best keeper in the world but if you're defense can't defend it's not really fair looking at stats?
That is why I said Cech had only made 7 saves thus far as well. Making only 7 saves while conceding 7 goals actually reflects on how good the defense had been doing its work. That basically means they had only let in 14 shots on target towards their goal, but Cech could only save 7 of them. That means Chelsea's defense can defend, it's the obvious truth, but Cech hadn't really performed up to his standards, and therefore IMO not the best goalkeeper in the league ATM.

That is why I said Cech had only made 7 saves thus far as well. Making only 7 saves while conceding 7 goals actually reflects on how good the defense had been doing its work. That basically means they had only let in 14 shots on target towards their goal, but Cech could only save 7 of them. That means Chelsea's defense can defend, it's the obvious truth, but Cech hadn't really performed up to his standards, and therefore IMO not the best goalkeeper in the league ATM.

Flawed logic. What if the 7 goals were unstoppable like 3 against United?

Arsenal had 4 shots on target and scored 4 against Liverpool in 4-4 draw. Does that mean Reina is not a good keeper?

Cech has made brilliant saves over the years and rarely made a mistake. That makes him so reliable.

Flawed logic. What if the 7 goals were unstoppable like 3 against United?

Arsenal had 4 shots on target and scored 4 against Liverpool in 4-4 draw. Does that mean Reina is not a good keeper?

Cech has made brilliant saves over the years and rarely made a mistake. That makes him so reliable.
That is why I didn't base it on one single game. It's basing on all 6 appearances that Cech made for Chelsea. And I had never said Cech is not a reliable keeper nor did I said he isn't good enough. I'm saying that he had not been as good as I expected him to be, as usually he is a world class shot-stopper, and that's why my vote didn't go for him.

That is why I didn't base it on one single game. It's basing on all 6 appearances that Cech made for Chelsea. And I had never said Cech is not a reliable keeper nor did I said he isn't good enough. I'm saying that he had not been as good as I expected him to be, as usually he is a world class shot-stopper, and that's why my vote didn't go for him.

But you used stats to prove something. How can Cech save some shots that cannot be saved? He has hardly done any mistakes and made many great saves.

I'm not forcing my opinion either. But you were using stats to back up your claim, going by which De Gea is the best in the league.

Cech hasn't been consistently near the level of Reina imo.

Both keepers have proberly made the same ammount of mistakes but the difference being Cech has come back from a life threatning injury Reina hasen't.

Has to be Pepe, not sure how Cech has so many votes, and how Hart and Given aren't in the poll.

Go look at all the awards he has won not just with Chelsea but personly and thats the reason why he has so many votes. Stop being such a biased man your making youself look like a right mug. Its in your right to vote for Reina because there is a case for it but your chatting rubbish about Cech simple as that.

1st goal conceded vs West Brom, Long scores a one on one with HILARIO from an ALEX mistake. Not Cech's fault.
2nd goal conceded vs Norwich, HILARIO fumbles a cross which Holt scores brilliantly. Not Cech's fault.
3rd goal conceded vs Sunderland, Terry gets forced infield making Bosingwa come inside leaving Ji unmarked in the box. Not Cech's fault.
4th goal conceded vs Man Utd, Smalling's offside but defence fails to mark correctly. Not Cech's fault.
5th goal conceded vs Man Utd, Nani's thunderbolt that no keeper in the world whould have saved. Not Cech's fault.
6th goal conceded vs Man Utd, ball falls to Rooney 6yards out nothing he could do. Not Cech's fault.
7th goal conceded vs Swansea, freekick headerd in by Williams yet again defence didnt do their job. Not Cech's fault.
8th goal conceded vs Valencia, penalty by Soldado after a Kalou error. Not Cech's fault.
9th goal conceded vs Bolton, Header by Boyata for the 3rd time this season the defence dosen't do its job and leaves 3 players unmarked. Not Cech's fault.
10th goal conceded vs Everton, defence swich off from the ball to Drenthe who puts in a cross to Vellios who ghosts in between 2 defenders. Not Cech's fault.

If your going to make accusations about Cech then make sure you do your homework because im such a sad **** i will pick up on it and prove how wrong you are.

Purely statistically De Gea has been the best keeper so far this year and there is nothing to suggest he will stop playing well. Neither Reina or Cech have been at their top levels, but they rarely have a bad day.

Both keepers have proberly made the same ammount of mistakes but the difference being Cech has come back from a life threatning injury Reina hasen't.

Go look at all the awards he has won not just with Chelsea but personly and thats the reason why he has so many votes. Stop being such a biased man your making youself look like a right mug. Its in your right to vote for Reina because there is a case for it but your chatting rubbish about Cech simple as that.

1st goal conceded vs West Brom, Long scores a one on one with HILARIO from an ALEX mistake. Not Cech's fault.
2nd goal conceded vs Norwich, HILARIO fumbles a cross which Holt scores brilliantly. Not Cech's fault.
3rd goal conceded vs Sunderland, Terry gets forced infield making Bosingwa come inside leaving Ji unmarked in the box. Not Cech's fault.
4th goal conceded vs Man Utd, Smalling's offside but defence fails to mark correctly. Not Cech's fault.
5th goal conceded vs Man Utd, Nani's thunderbolt that no keeper in the world whould have saved. Not Cech's fault.
6th goal conceded vs Man Utd, ball falls to Rooney 6yards out nothing he could do. Not Cech's fault.
7th goal conceded vs Swansea, freekick headerd in by Williams yet again defence didnt do their job. Not Cech's fault.
8th goal conceded vs Valencia, penalty by Soldado after a Kalou error. Not Cech's fault.
9th goal conceded vs Bolton, Header by Boyata for the 3rd time this season the defence dosen't do its job and leaves 3 players unmarked. Not Cech's fault.
10th goal conceded vs Everton, defence swich off from the ball to Drenthe who puts in a cross to Vellios who ghosts in between 2 defenders. Not Cech's fault.

If your going to make accusations about Cech then make sure you do your homework because im such a sad **** i will pick up on it and prove how wrong you are.
Note that I never mentioned about the goals that Chelsea conceded under Hilario, thus my statement that Cech had only conceded 7 goals in the EPL.

And I did not even said anyone of the goals had anything to do with Cech. I merely said he did not made enough saves, and surely, all of those goals had nothing to do with Cech being wrong but he had not pulled up anything out of ordinary as well. Saves can be made even when defenders are not doing their job. Look at De Gea's Kuyt save - wonderful ball in, Kuyt right in front of the goal to bury it, but saved. If it goes in you couldn't blame it on De Gea either, but yet he pulled out a fantastic save. Same goes to Sczcesny's Cattermole save against Sunderland. Defender did horribly, Cattermole right in front of the goal to head it in, not Sczcesny's fault but still he pulled off a miraculous save.

Bear in mind again that I had never criticized Cech. I did not even said any of the goals is due to his mistakes. I'm merely pointing out that 1 clean sheet in 6 games is not a good enough form for a goalkeeper to be crowned as the very best.

Cech hasn't been consistently near the level of Reina imo.

Has to be Pepe, not sure how Cech has so many votes, and how Hart and Given aren't in the poll.

Note that I never mentioned about the goals that Chelsea conceded under Hilario, thus my statement that Cech had only conceded 7 goals in the EPL.

And I did not even said anyone of the goals had anything to do with Cech. I merely said he did not made enough saves, and surely, all of those goals had nothing to do with Cech being wrong but he had not pulled up anything out of ordinary as well. Saves can be made even when defenders are not doing their job. Look at De Gea's Kuyt save - wonderful ball in, Kuyt right in front of the goal to bury it, but saved. If it goes in you couldn't blame it on De Gea either, but yet he pulled out a fantastic save. Same goes to Sczcesny's Cattermole save against Sunderland. Defender did horribly, Cattermole right in front of the goal to head it in, not Sczcesny's fault but still he pulled off a miraculous save.

Bear in mind again that I had never criticized Cech. I did not even said any of the goals is due to his mistakes. I'm merely pointing out that 1 clean sheet in 6 games is not a good enough form for a goalkeeper to be crowned as the very best.

But if you knew how the goals were conceded you will see that Cech could have done nothing about them. Is that his fault?? No, not every shot can be saved mate you do know that yer.

But if you knew how the goals were conceded you will see that Cech could have done nothing about them. Is that his fault?? No, not every shot can be saved mate you do know that yer.

To add to your point, Reina has already made a mistake this season. Spurs 3rd goal whereas Cech haven't dont any this season.

To add to your point, Reina has already made a mistake this season. Spurs 3rd goal whereas Cech haven't dont any this season.

Thank-you very much lol. Thing is i haven't even said Cech is the best in the league lol just fighting his corner. I actually rate Friedel very highly so with age being no objection i would say him.

Thank-you very much lol. Thing is i haven't even said Cech is the best in the league lol just fighting his corner. I actually rate Friedel very highly so with age being no objection i would say him.

But I rate him as best in the league ;)

As reliable as they come. From last 2 seasons he is looking like old Cech. I do rate him as the best in the league. Hardly seen him doing mistake that led to goals. Even if he did, he would be at bottom of the table when it comes to mistakes made by GK.

Back