Bookies stop taking bets on Torres move...

• Thread starter Thread starter Stann
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 102
  • Views Views 8K
Status
Not open for further replies.
Football was different back then. Players used to move from rival to rival, ala Beardsley.

Money wasn't really a motivation back than so you're comparisons falter.

Not necessarily. The money really isn't the reason he will move. The reason he will move is that he wants success. He is a world class player but Liverpool aren't in a position to win major trophies right now.

Also Beardsley was a Geordie and Newcastle fan therefore Everton weren't his rival, Sunderland were.

---------- Post added at 03:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:52 AM ----------

Off the current topic but if Mascherano and Torres go, that's like £70-80m in the kitty, Hodgson could bring in some class players with that; so losing them, yea will be a loss but Roys keen eye for talent, influence and abilities could make it work?..

I'd bet you we wouldn't get 100% of that transfer intake though. More than half if we were lucky.

Also Beardsley was a Geordie and Newcastle fan therefore Everton weren't his rival, Sunderland were.

Beardsley played for Man U, Man C, Neverton and Liverpool.

Regardless of team you supported, have some respect for the fans.

lampard has got 2-3 years left, and they are looking at ramires for ballack replacement. and i think they just signed a young centreback, though JDY will correct me if im wrong

Correct.

Lamps still has atleast another two years in the tank, maybe even one more after that. By then we should have a few youngsters coming through the ranks although none at the moment I believe can replicate what Lamps does for the team. We may have to spend some money when he finally does decide to retire.

If the Ramires reports are true its to simply beef up the midfield. With numerous players leaving such as Ballack, Cole, Deco (likely), Belletti, we simply can't afford to rely on youth (at the moment) if we get injuries. Kakuta will be a direct replacement for J.Cole, who will feature a lot more this season no doubt.

I can't say I know a lot about the young lad Kalas. Apprently he will be a star when he's older and we battled to fight off interest from the likes of Arsenal and Milan. 5 million is a hefty sum of money for a 17 year old aswell, they must have seen enough promise to offer that amount. Mancienne will likely leave the club, I don't understand the hype surrounding him with a lot of poeple saying "If Mancienne can't break through, then what hope is it to such and such a player". I honestly don't think he's good enough to break through although I'd like to be proved wrong. Wolves don't look likely to make a bid for him either suggesting they aren't entirely convinced also.

You support Spuds. Now Now.

Leave this debate to the big boys.

I see. Supporting a local club is looked down upon by the Scot who supports Liverpool for some reason.

At the end of the day, you can wave your history around all you want, but it didn't help last season, and it won't help you this season. Try not to get too flustered by that realisation.

Chin up though! If Liverpool have a poor season, you have another club you can support.

Beardsley played for Man U, Man C, Neverton and Liverpool.

Regardless of team you supported, have some respect for the fans.

Your taking this off-topic however why would Beardsley be bothered. He's a geordie, playing for both United and Liverpool isn't really that big a deal, Newcastle don't have a massive rivalry with these clubs.

---------- Post added at 04:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:59 AM ----------

I see. Supporting a local club is looked down upon by the Scot who supports Liverpool for some reason.

At the end of the day, you can wave your history around all you want, but it didn't help last season, and it won't help you this season. Try not to get too flustered by that realisation.

Chin up though! If Liverpool have a poor season, you have another club you can support.

Heh, 1-0 Billy :)

Not necessarily. The money really isn't the reason he will move. The reason he will move is that he wants success. He is a world class player but Liverpool aren't in a position to win major trophies right now.

Then he is free(figuratively) to leave.

Rather have an aging Gerrard who's willing to stay at the club he loves and win nothing.

---------- Post added at 04:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:02 AM ----------

Hurr I support my local club.

There's just no point in speaking about Dundee as nobody knows anything about them...

For me it's Dundee > Scotland > Liverpool.

And I support Liverpool as I have family from there.

Then he implies that I'm a glory supporter, do you think I cared about glory when I was 4 years old?(Rhhetorical, don't stress you mind on that question, you might have a hemorrhage.)

Stick to your snide remarks, hides your insignificant mental ability.

Edit: Almost forgot, ***.

Then he is free(figuratively) to leave.

Rather have an aging Gerrard who's willing to stay at the club he loves and win nothing.

Do you now hate Benayoun because he left? Insua? Alonso?

Spurs done well this year but because they came 4th they seem to think they are a bigger and better side than Liverpool all the sudden... Everton finished 4th a few years ago and thought the same but ended up getting knocked out in the qualifiers and we ended up going to final.

Last edited:
Do you now hate Benayoun because he left? Insua? Alonso?

Benny isn't one of our best players.

Insua I wanted out.

Alonso was forced out pretty much, with Benetiz trying to replace him with the dross that is Barry.

Edit: Benny also has never stated his love for the club or whatever.

Spurs done well this year but because they came 4th they seem to think they are a bigger and better side than Liverpool all the sudden... Everton finished 4th a few years ago and thought the same but ended up getting knocked out in the qualifiers and we ended up going to final.

Benny isn't one of our best players.

Insua I wanted out.

Alonso was forced out pretty much, with Benetiz trying to replace him with the dross that is Barry.

Benayoun was one of out best players last season. So your going to hate Torres if he leaves because he is one of our best players?

I just don't think Torres should leave now. If he was loyal to the club he would help us at this time and not just jump to another club. Were looking positive and are making some positive signing so who says we cant challenge this year? Teams like Chelsea, Arsenal and United aren't looking that strong so this year I think City, Chelsea, Arsenal, United and Liverpool could all challenge.

I wouldn't mind if we didn't win anything at the end of this season and didnt finish in a champions league spot and he wanted to leave because I would understand but I think he should give the new manager a chance and see how it goes... Who knows we could get a new owner and the club could be turned around. (Fingers crossed)

Benayoun was one of out best players last season. So your going to hate Torres if he leaves because he is one of our best players?

I'll let you re read my little Edit I pu tin there.

And by best, that would imply important player.

So if our best/most important player states that he loves the club, are his second team.. etc. Decides to leave for our rivals/contenders.

... Who knows we could get a new owner and the club could be turned around. (Fingers crossed)

Funnily enough I heard a rumour that something concerning this developed today, doubt it is true though.

---------- Post added at 04:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:35 AM ----------

I'll let you re read my little Edit I pu tin there.

And by best, that would imply important player.

So if our best/most important player states that he loves the club, are his second team.. etc. Decides to leave for our rivals/contenders.

So your saying because he stated Liverpool are his second team and he has left to find success because the club are on a downward slope at the moment you will hate the guy. Nothing you say is making any sense, it is just bitterness because he may leave. A fair few Liverpool supporters were the same when Gerrard was on the verge of joining Chelsea.

Funnily enough I heard a rumour that something concerning this developed today, doubt it is true though.

---------- Post added at 04:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:35 AM ----------

So your saying because he stated Liverpool are his second team and he has left to find success because the club are on a downward slope at the moment you will hate the guy. Nothing you say is making any sense, it is just bitterness because he may leave. A fair few Liverpool supporters were the same when Gerrard was on the verge of joining Chelsea.

Hate?

Where have you come up with this?

Hate?

Where have you come up with this?

Well, you know what I mean, your not gonna like him if he leaves. Give me a break it's nearly 5 in the morning.

I'd bet you we wouldn't get 100% of that transfer intake though. More than half if we were lucky.

Thing is, let's say he gets £30m, he can grab some good players for £30m plus say, £10m that they're giving him now, so £40m is ample?.

Wouldn't blame the guy if he leaves. He wants to win titles. Hasn't really happened with his time in Liverpool. I just wish(although highly unlikely) he went to Man City so that we can get that £70m they're willing to dish out. (Hey, if we're gonna sell, we might as well milk it, right?)

I'm not sure how much we'll get to spend.

Zeb is the one who knows a great deal about the finances ect. So I'm hoping he sees this and can spread some light onto it.

Honest answer is no-one outside the very inner circles of the club knows.

I'll try to break it down as best I can so you've got a general overview though of what's happening. Epic post will be epic...

The club runs a financial year which goes from 1st August to 31st July. So our current financial year started 1st August 2009 and ends 31st July 2010. Our next financial year starts, yeah ok, you've got it now ;) So that's how the club has to account for its money.

As far as I can make out we're currently on track to be about even (if we exclude the Insua transfer which is taking its time to be sorted out) in player sales and player expenditure so far completely - even covering money due to go out in the next financial year. (This doesn't account for add-ons though as they're tricksy beasties - so might be more, might be less. Also doesn't account for signing on fees of free agents.)

Which is far worse than it sounds because even 6 years ago it was unusual for us to be less than £17m in net debt to other clubs (this by the way is one of the many reasons why Jaimie Kanwar is a ****** when he tries to write about Rafa's spending - he includes that plus another fair whack of Ged's spending as being part of Rafa's. ******. But moving on...). Not a problem at that time though because the club really was set up to pay for transfers and wages for players. In past times, Mr.Hodgson would have had a transfer budget of at least £17m right now just from that and excluding player sales heh.

Liverpool currently can't do that because of the amount of money going out to pay for the interest on the bank debt (the interest on our debt to our owners isn't currently being paid because we can't afford to pay it and that gets bigger every year!). As a result of that we're making massive losses every year.

Going on the figures for 1st August 2008 to 31st July 2009, it's very probable that we're going to run up another big loss in 2009/10. And the same is true for 2010/11. That's why the accountants put warnings on our accounts - the club can't continue to do that. The only way out is to cut costs and increase the money coming into the club. Our current chairman had to go to the PL earlier this summer and promise them that we could fulfill our fixtures for the coming season. That means even the PL is starting to get worried about our finances.

How much money needs to be saved and how much money needs to be raised is the big issue. £50m a season? £30m? Unknown and at best we're speculating some more. And that is where the money raised from selling players like Torres or Mash or Gerrard or Snoogy Doogy would come in. One thing's for sure though - if Mr.Hodgson gets the full amount of any further transfers out of the club this summer to spend, I'd be amazed.

One thing to remember is that players transfer fees aren't usually paid all at once (Ronaldo to Madrid was a huge exception to this - and the MUST lot will be able to explain why that was important to the leeches owning them). So it may be possible to do a similar deal to how we signed Aquilani where payment is split up in such a way that relatively little needs to be paid on eg 1st August, and you can then pay for the rest in next January's and/or next summer's transfer window.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back