Bringing Back The Glory Days - Tottenham Hotspur

GlenYid

Reaction score
The League

The Premier League is an English professional league for association football clubs. At the top of the English football league system, it is the country's primary football competition. Contested by 20 clubs, it operates on a system of promotion and relegation with the Football League. The Premier League is a corporation in which the 20 member clubs act as shareholders. Seasons run from August to May, with teams playing 38 matches each, totalling 380 matches in the season. Most games are played in the afternoons of Saturdays and Sundays, the other games during weekday evenings. It is currently sponsored by Barclays Bank and thus officially known as the Barclays Premier League. Outside England it is commonly referred to as the English Premier League (EPL).

Club Info

Tottenham Hotspur

150px-Tottenham_Hotspur.svg.png

Tottenham Hotspur Football Club, commonly referred to as Spurs, is an English football club based in Tottenham, London, that plays in the Premier League. The club's home stadium is White Hart Lane.

Founded in 1882, Tottenham won the FA Cup for the first time in 1901, making it the only non-League club to do so since the formation of the Football League. Tottenham was the first club in the 20th century to achieve the League and FA Cup Double, winning both competitions in the 1960–61 season. After successfully defending the FA Cup in 1962, in 1963 it became the first British club to win a UEFA club competition – the European Cup Winners' Cup.[2] In 1967 it won the FA Cup for a third time in the 1960s. In the 1970s Tottenham won the League Cup on two occasions and was the inaugural winner of the UEFA Cup in 1972, becoming the first British club to win two different major European trophies. In the 1980s Spurs won several trophies: the FA Cup twice, FA Community Shield and the UEFA Cup in 1984. In the 1990s the club won the FA Cup and the League Cup. When it won the League Cup once more in 2008, it meant that it had won a major trophy in each of the last six decades – an achievement only matched by Manchester United.

The club's Latin motto is Audere est Facere (lit: "To Dare Is to Do"), and its emblem is a cockerel standing upon a football. The club has a long-standing rivalry with near neighbours Arsenal. Matches between the two teams are known as the North London derby.

37770601_l.jpg
37770822_l.jpg

Home | Away

Club History

Football League First Division (champions)
1950–51, 1960–61

Football League First Division (runners-up)
1921–22, 1951–52, 1956–57, 1962–63

Football League Second Division (champions)
1919–20, 1949–50

Football League Second Division (runners-up)
1908–09, 1932–33

Southern League (champions)
1899–1900

Western League (champions)
1903–04

FA Cup (winners)
1901, 1921, 1961, 1962, 1967, 1981, 1982, 1991

FA Cup (runners-up)

League Cup (winners)
1971, 1973, 1999, 2008

League Cup (runners-up)
1982, 2002, 2009

FA Charity Shield (winners)
1921, 1951, 1961, 1962, (1967, 1981, 1991 - shared)

FA Charity Shield (runners-up)
1920, 1982

UEFA Cup (winners)
1972, 1984

UEFA Cup (runners-up)

UEFA Cup Winners' Cup (winners)

Anglo-Italian League Cup (winners)

First Team Squad

The Beginning
When it was announced that I, a twenty five year old rookie with no experience in management would be taking charge at Tottenham, it was met by the fans and media alike with ridicule. To say the very least, I felt a bit intimidated but Daniel Levy put my mind at ease as he reiterated his faith in me.

During the meeting with Mr. Levy, he informed me that my financial constraints would be; £1.24m for Wages and a transfer budget of £30m.

And before introducing me to my new assistant Mr. Levy suggested that I arrange a press conference to introduce me as manager which I agreed to, and to my surprise he also said that he would arrange it for me. And I ensured him that my aim was to bring back the glory days to the club.

Upon meeting Steffen Freund, I could tell he was a Tottenham fan and he knew what he was doing in his role. This helped put me at ease a bit more and we got down to business, arranging an intra squad friendly for me to evaluate my players. Steffen also gave me his own team report which I found incredibly helpful to get a second insight to the team. The rest of the meeting ran pretty smooth as we discussed who would undertake which roles and we soon parted ways in preparation for training.

Pre-Season

Not the greatest pre-season as we seemed to dominate possession and have extreme difficulty scoring, and we seemed to let goals in pretty easily. Hopefully the start of the season will be a lot better than our lack of execution in the friendlies.

August

Tommy Huddlestone made a landmark 125th appearance for Tottenham against Swansea and proceeded to show the footballing world why he has been on Spurs' book for so long with a very good performance.
Unfortunately Gareth Bale got injured in the first game and is likely to be out for 5-6 weeks, however Andros Townsend came on in his place and performed well.

Transfers

Taking part in the transfer deadline day press coverage was different, but thoroughly enjoyable. With the possibilities of players leaving my team it was good fun to be there and then as the action happened.

I know £20m is extremely steep for an unknown player, but I'm taking the risk based on Cesare Maldini and Luciano D'Onofrio's recommendations that he will be world class.

wow thats a lot of money for Bernard.Honestly,i never heard of him.But his attributes looking fairly good..

wow thats a lot of money for Bernard.Honestly,i never heard of him.But his attributes looking fairly good..

Yeah I know, a **** of a lot of money for him. lol -I've never heard of the lad either, kind of regretted the amount we negotiated to to be honest. But I felt I didn't really need too many other players and felt like taking a risk. Fingers crossed it pays off. Just about to start September.

September

Overall not the greatest month, being lucky enough to turn the 1-0 scoreline deficit around to win 2-1 in the 90th minute against Reading managed to appease some of my concerns, but I'm really not looking forward to facing both Man Utd and Chelsea in October.

Losing to Burnley in the Capital One Cup was a big shock to me, we just didn't turn up and the match left me completely bemused and giving out aggressive team talks when play came to a close.

Also, Aaron Lennon made his 200th appearance for Tottenham against Sunderland but, his performance for that match wasn't much to shout about.

New signing Bernard came of as a 65th minute sub against Aston Villa to score the winner and has already made two assists this month too.

I look to the future and hope that we can soon turn this into a good run of form.

October
october2012.png

Overall another not so great month. The 4-1 drubbing at Old Trafford was a tad depressing mainly because all of the goals were due to set pieces. The Everton match was a nail biting one until Jermain man, Defoe managed to score a goal for the smash and grab.

The Anji Makachkala match put even more faith into from me into the team but that quickly dissapated after the Norwich match, letting in another set piece and not being able to score in over 15 shots.

The Chelsea match was my best of the lot, leading 1-0 until the 89th minute when Kaboul was caught standing on the halfway line with the ball at his feet, and simply passing it to Torres to let them equalise. Training intensity has increased as a result of this and will stay high until we can show that we can play to the standards that I want.

Next month can't come quick enough.

November
november2012.png

The best month I've had so far! Granted I haven't played any of the "big" teams this month but I'm still happy with the overall results. The 0-0 with Newcastle at the end of the month was a frustrating one as we had over 26 shots, only 3 from long range and we just couldn't find a breakthrough.

The QPR game was a breaath of fresh air especially when I felt we were struggling at half time. Benny Assou-Ekotto made his 125th appearance for the club to show what a loyal servant he has been for the club.

Next month I face Arsenal, Liverpool and Man City all within two weeks of each other just before Christmas, so December could be a very testing month. Bring on December (I say reluctantly, lol)

December
december2012.png

What a month! After a disappointing performance at West Brom I wasn't looking forward to the next few premiership matches, so I rested my main players for the Europa League match against Levante.

The Arsenal match was the start of a crazy sequence of results, after about twenty minutes I had already had nine shots against me and was being dominated with possession. So I decided to make a huge tactical change from my 4-5-1 formation (GK, DR DC DC DL, DM, MC MC, AMR AML, ST) to a 4-2-3-1 (GK, DR DC DC DL, DM DM, AMR AMC AML, ST) and it resulted in me going ahead pretty much straight away. We began to attack a lot more and they just couldn't break through our defence leading us to a brilliant win.

Surprisingly enough, using the same tactic I discovered in the Arsenal match, I used against Liverpool and Man City pulling off two more fantastic results without conceding. On the occasions that my defence was broken, Hugo Lloris was an absolute lifesaver.

I went to Swansea brimming with confidence only to be put in my place. We were leading two nil at half time and maybe I should've expected them to come out by changing my tactics to a counter attack but I didn't see us giving up our lead. Shows how little I know. Next time I won't be so stupid.

Overall a great month. We face Chelsea away at the start of the month a play host to Manchester United at the end of the month. I will continue to use my newly found tactic against the "big" teams, but Swansea surprising me has made me think I may need to rethink against the smaller sides. Time will tell...

Just thought i would point out mate.....you made a mistake in your OP :p

"There are 20 teams who each play 38 games totaling 380 games in a season"

Can you spot the mistake lol :p ??

Liking the story btw :)

Last edited:
Just thought i would point out mate.....you made a mistake in your OP :p

"There are 20 teams who each play 38 games totaling 380 games in a season"

Can you spot the mistake lol :p ??

Liking the story btw :)

lol, first of all Brommers, thank you for following. But I am still trying to spot the mistake, as far as I'm aware, I'm right? lol

I also, have a spot the mistake pic in the next post as I have just completed January 2013. :D

lol, first of all Brommers, thank you for following. But I am still trying to spot the mistake, as far as I'm aware, I'm right? lol

I also, have a spot the mistake pic in the next post as I have just completed January 2013. :D

You are wrong. 20*38 is 760

January 2013
january2013.png

What can I say about this month? We built completely on what we started last month and we have started looking stronger and stronger.

I won Manager of the Month for the first time in my career, and young Steven Caulker who is quickly becoming a mainstay on the teamsheet won Young Player of the Month.

In the Chelsea match, I got a very helpful hand from a certain Juan Mata (which after yesterday irl, I was very appreciative of). With Lennon to produce a show of his own and helping complete the 3-2 rout at Stamford Bridge.

The other matches up to the FA Cup 4th round were pretty plain sailing and we won the matches with comfortable ease. But when I came to the FA Cup, I had the dilemma of putting out a full strength side against our rivals West Ham or to save them for the United match. I opted for the latter which unfortunately led us to be knocked out by a Assou-Ekotto own goal on 85mins.

However, the sacrifice proved to be a well thought won as we trounced United at home 3-0, without ever looking like losing. Lloris did everything he was called upon to do, and Kaboul with Caulker at the back looked solid.

January Transfers

I appointed a Director of Football by the name of Domenico Arnuzzo with the Judging Player Potential and Ability both at 18. I have given him the responsibilities of placing transfer bids of players we need for the first team etc.

That is the reason I signed Neil Taylor from Swansea City, as I gave his judgement the benefit of the doubt, but I am not too sure on his negotiating skills just yet.

Spot The Mistake

I have also noticed the first mistake in the game and thought I'd upload, let's see if you can see it too?

Overview
Completely overwhelmed by the success of my tactic, however I'm not too sure if it's due to me having the correct tactic with the correct team, or if it it generally a great tactic.
The way we play is a slow short passing game, dictating the tempo of the game, but with the speed of Bale and Lennon on the wings and their abilities to take on players and provide decent crosses has made this tactic succeed. The anchorman and deep lying playmaker combination works well as we win the ball, give it to the playmaker and begin an attack. With a second playmaker behind the striker our creativity seems to give us an extra edge over our opponents in the final third as we can pass it back to the deeper midfielder if the attacking playmaker has no options.

If anyone would like to give this tactic a shot for me with a different team just send me a message. Just beware that it is a work in progress.

Last edited:
You are wrong. 20*38 is 760

Whilst that would be correct if every team play each other once, they actually play each other twice. Therefore there are half the amount of games... 10 games a week multiplied by 38 game weeks in a season results in 380! (I didn't use to work in accounts for nothing! lol)

Whilst that would be correct if every team play each other once, they actually play each other twice. Therefore there are half the amount of games... 10 games a week multiplied by 38 game weeks in a season results in 380! (I didn't use to work in accounts for nothing! lol)
Excuse me if I am wrong but if they play each other twice wouldn't it be double, not half?

Excuse me if I am wrong but if they play each other twice wouldn't it be double, not half?
I know it sounds like it should be, but because all 20 teams play each other twice, and they pair up with each other for their matches (halving the amount from 20 to 10), it halves... if that makes any sense, lol.

Can you insert screenshots of all first teamers, and their reports, I`m definetely taking Spurs but I want to evaluate them so I can come up with a plan of who to play. :) I can`t play BETA version, please help me. And it would be useful to know budgets (wage and transfer)! Thanks a lot

Can you insert screenshots of all first teamers, and their reports, I`m definetely taking Spurs but I want to evaluate them so I can come up with a plan of who to play. :) I can`t play BETA version, please help me. And it would be useful to know budgets (wage and transfer)! Thanks a lot

The budgets are in either the first or second post, do you want the attributes and reports from literally every player from the first team squad? Could take a while. lol