Absolutely spot on story, following keenly mate.

Really unlucky with injuries though haha, hopefully you'll get an injury free run through the prime of your career now.

Thanks mate, yeah I hope the worst of the injuries are behind me now

I still reckon you are going to play a big part in the national side soon enough, I predict you will have 50+ caps by the time you retire.

I hope you are right mate!

View attachment 276307
View attachment 276305
The more things change, the more they stay the same. 19 minutes into my second friendly game for FC Oss & I'm already out for 3 weeks! Fingers crossed this season goes the same as the last & I get my injuries out of the way early.

On the plus side it looks as though I will be amongst the first players chosen when I am fit. I do have competition for my position in Belgian Marco Weymans but I believe I am the better player & Marco is being linked with a move to Roda JC in any case.

Marco Weymans

View attachment 276279
View attachment 276271

Last edited:
Ahh nooo, sorry to hear about another injury mate. Hopefully you can come back and stake your place in the starting eleven. Loving this story, look forward to more. Check my new story out if you have time please buddy. :)

FC Oss Wonderkid?

2015-04-30_00002_78688.jpg

2015-04-30_00003_78688.jpg

It seems FC Oss have produced their very own wonderkid.

Nice to know the "big boys" are casting an eye down here. Hopefully, one day, I will be signing a contract with one of these clubs!

2015-04-30_00004_78688.jpg

Good luck to the kid! One day, when he's rich & famous, I will be able to say "I used to play with that guy, run circles around him I did!"

Last edited:

View attachment 275717

Settling In...

I am pleased to report that I have settled in Oss very nicely.

The city itself has a feel not too unlike Tamworth, though with more culture & less country music.
Thank Christ!

View attachment 275716

It’s a far cry from the hustle & bustle of Sydney in any case. More relaxed, less crowded & definitely friendlier.

I could be quite happy here, I think.

For the most part the people have a fantastic grasp of the English language (which comes a relief seeing as the only Dutch word I know is “Heineken”) & have been extremely welcoming.

Apart from being the birth place of Dutch legend Ruud van Nistelrooy (of which the locals are understandably proud), Oss is also home to some fantastic restaurants, a vibrant shopping centre & an annual fair rated amongst the best events in the country.

View attachment 275715

Although I have been here less than 12 months, it feels like home to me & that’s not a feeling I ever got in Sydney. If my football career was to go no further I would still be forever thankful for opening my eyes to this fantastic part of the world.

x2s2z0e3yb818d_78688.jpg

Season 8

The Adjustment Period

It took some time for me to adjust to my new surroundings. Packing my bags & moving to the other side of the world was never going to be easy & I'm afraid it showed in my on field performances a bit too.

9Br70SD.jpg

u7KOeAT.jpg

A solid, if unspectacular start to life in Europe. 22 appearances across the league & cup for an average rating on 7.04. Not too bad I suppose, though my performances in our short lived cup run were a personal highlight.

Again injuries played a big part in my season.

D63bMp4.jpg

In all I managed to spend over 3 months on the sidelines.

Thankfully the medical staff here at Oss are good at what they do & had me back in action ASAP.

On the pitch, it was an average year for FC Oss as well.

bu2FBEf.jpg

We finished the year in 14th spot, one place above our media prediction of 15th. I cant help but think it would have been a better year if not for the massive turn over of players.

14 out, 15 in. Not ideal as far as squad cohesion goes!

On a personal level I feel as though I have once again made modest improvements in my game.

wMTtMt9.jpg

No doubt injuries have played their part again but I'm used to that by now & just try to give it my all at every opportunity. What else can I do?

As already mentioned, I eventually settled into life in Oss & found I enjoyed it immensely. Hence when a new deal was offered I had no hesitation in accepting.

ncI4AkF.jpg

Much like at the Wanderers its only a one year extension but this time I was only too happy to accept. Here's hoping the next 12 months can be better then the last!

I've heard the home fans are waiting with bated breath for CJ to score so they can launch into their "Ossie, Ossie, Ossie. Oi, Oi, Oi!!" chant they've been practising for him.

I've heard the home fans are waiting with bated breath for CJ to score so they can launch into their "Ossie, Ossie, Ossie. Oi, Oi, Oi!!" chant they've been practising for him.

I will be stealing that one at some point as well :p

x2s2z0e3yb818d_78688.jpg

Season 9

Catching Fire

My second season at FC Oss turned out to be an unbridled success.

uQKrrjD.jpg

XGi0KGr.jpg

Not only did I manage to stay fit for the entire season but I also managed to put together some good performances & even break club records!

GInKQtQ.jpg

8UHmRfD.jpg

My stellar displays on the pitch saw me dubbed "The wizard of Oss" by the locals & at home games my name was greeted by a chant of "Ossie, Ossie, Ossie! Oi! Oi! Oi!" whenever the team sheet was read out.

^^ Thanks Guys ^^

HlwhPhT.jpg

FC Oss also had a great year.

56vT0IY.jpg

A 7th placed finish was the clubs highest ever league position & also qualified us for the promotion play-offs!

Unfortunately we were unable to produce any further shocks, getting knocked out in the 2nd round after breezing past Almere City in the 1st.

oY6mO7I.jpg

The home game against NEC also set a new record attendance mark.

3Q6Y8V1.jpg

Perhaps the expectation created by the record crowd was partly responsible for the poor performance which ultimately cost us our chances of promotion? Who knows!

On an interesting side note, this year was also a big year for my younger brother George, who is following in his big brothers footsteps it seems.

Do11mTi.jpg

b0CEwH2.jpg

George moved to Sydney with the rest of the family when I was first signed from Tamworth. He was only 9 years old back then but always loved the game &, like me, hoped one day to make a career out of it.

I am so pleased that the Wanderers have given him the chance to make that dream a reality & look forward to following his career closely.

Who knows, maybe one day we will be on the same pitch representing our country!

I think it wont be long before CJ gets his first cap!

A Growing Reputation

After spending the off-season back in Australia catching up with family, I arrived back in Oss amidst rumours I was on my way out the door.

yrUZ6TY.jpg

Although flattered at being linked with clubs in both the Eredivisie & the Belgian Pro League, I wasn't keen to leave just yet.

Ii96lyD.jpg

I have grown to love both the city of Oss as well as the club & when a new contract was offered to me I was only to happy to put pen to paper & extend my stay.

hr9TqmH.jpg

Although I would like to play in a European top flight at some stage in my career I feel as though it is too early for me to leave just yet.

After going close to promotion last year I have not yet given up on playing in the Eredivisie with FC Oss
!

Last edited: