Capello names squad to face Holland

• Thread starter Thread starter CtPauley
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 146
  • Views Views 8K
Has only one player been called up then?? If Carrick and Wilshere have been ruled out why only one replacement?? Why not just take McEachran, just imagine what it would do for his confidence.

You just HAVE to put a Chelsea youngster there don't you!

You just HAVE to put a Chelsea youngster there don't you!

Not if its not merrited, and to be fair i dont think im the only one who agrees. Even non Chelsea supporting people would agree with me.

Not if its not merrited, and to be fair i dont think im the only one who agrees. Even non Chelsea supporting people would agree with me.

**** even I agree with you, I just find it funny that there's always someone you could replace with one of your own :P

I don't agree with you. There's no need to rush him into the senior England set up and put him under unnecessary pressure.
It hardly did wonders for Walcott, did it?
They should wait till he actually merits a place in the squad. I've been impressed when i've watched him but the facts are he's only started 4 senior competitive games in his entire career. He's not ready for a call up to the England squad.

I agree, he should be given a call up. Even if he isn't used, it will do him good and there may be an opportunity to give him 15 minutes game time.

he hasnt even played fr the under 21s, and has 4 senior starts. Dont see how it's merited

I don't agree with you. There's no need to rush him into the senior England set up and put him under unnecessary pressure.
It hardly did wonders for Walcott, did it?
They should wait till he actually merits a place in the squad. I've been impressed when i've watched him but the facts are he's only started 4 senior competitive games in his entire career. He's not ready for a call up to the England squad.

But you have to look at the revent activity and in pre-season he has been Chelsea's best player and deserves a call-up.

---------- Post added at 08:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:04 PM ----------

he hasnt even played fr the under 21s, and has 4 senior starts. Dont see how it's merited

Yes he has, he has played 4 times for the U21's

But you have to look at the revent activity and in pre-season he has been Chelsea's best player and deserves a call-up.

---------- Post added at 08:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:04 PM ----------

Yes he has, he has played 4 times for the U21's
He does not deserve a call up, you can't call up someone based on a few friendlies and 4 starts last season.
It's not even likely it would be beneficial. He's 18, he should be focusing on trying to improve and get into the Chelsea first team for some competitive games. He doesn't need the distraction of the media endlessly hyping him up and putting him under pressure because he was in the England squad at 18.

He does not deserve a call up, you can't call up someone based on a few friendlies and 4 starts last season.
It's not even likely it would be beneficial. He's 18, he should be focusing on trying to improve and get into the Chelsea first team for some competitive games. He doesn't need the distraction of the media endlessly hyping him up and putting him under pressure because he was in the England squad at 18.

Who's to say it will be a negative effect?? It might be a possative effect on him.

Frank​ Lampard has pulled out of England's friendly with Holland on Wednesday due to a throat infection.

Who's to say it will be a negative effect?? It might be a possative effect on him.

Who's to say it'll have a positive effect? It might have a negative effect. I'd rather not needlessly risk his development.

It might but it's unlikely. Rarely when an unproven player is put under that much pressure does it do his career any good.

Who's to say it'll have a positive effect? It might have a negative effect. I'd rather not needlessly risk his development.

Why is everyone so negative with everything. Chelsea gave him sub appearences in the CL last season and then decided he has the mentaility to start in the CL and he did away at Marseille and he was the best player on the park. So far he has handled pressure very well.

---------- Post added at 09:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:59 PM ----------

It might but it's unlikely. Rarely when an unproven player is put under that much pressure does it do his career any good.

He was unproven when we gave him a start in the CL last season and he was the best player on the pitch even though we lost the game. Like i said everything he has faced so far he has come through easily, people need to stop being so negative with things.

Why is everyone so negative with everything. Chelsea gave him sub appearences in the CL last season and then decided he has the mentaility to start in the CL and he did away at Marseille and he was the best player on the park. So far he has handled pressure very well.

That was a Chelsea game where (IIRC) they had already qualified. This is England, and you know what the national media is like.

---------- Post added at 09:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:59 PM ----------

He was unproven when we gave him a start in the CL last season and he was the best player on the pitch even though we lost the game. Like i said everything he has faced so far he has come through easily, people need to stop being so negative with things.
It's not the same amount of pressure though. Right now the majority of people in this country have never heard of him and there have probably been zero tabloid articles written about him. He goes into this squad then he'll be catapulted into the spotlight. It's a whole different level of pressure that he doesn't need to be dealing with when he hasn't even played 20 games for Chelsea.

Last edited:
This is the last thing im going to say on the matter. I have watched Josh for years comming through the ranks very quickly indeed, he first trained with the first team when he was 15 and he learnt a massive deal from it as he stated. If i thought him being called into the England set-up would be a negative effect on him then surely i would want him to stay as far away as possable.

Overreaction ftw.

Too soon for Josh to be involved in the senior England setup, would like to see him cement his place in the U21's this season as he's the type of player that they really missed at the Euro 21's earlier this summer.

Comparing the 'pressure' Josh may be under if he did get called up for this friendly to the Walcott World Cup situation did make me laugh though.

Frank​ Lampard has pulled out of England's friendly with Holland on Wednesday due to a throat infection.

Wow, now I'm hopeful that Cleverley might get a chance if the game is not cancelled..

I think Josh deserves a chance to play for the U-21s and now that he is certainly looking to get many more chances to play for the Chelsea First-Team this season I am a little hopeful that he even will make it to the Euro's but that is still far-fetched, really wish Sturridge was given a call-up tho, he ripped apart Rangers defence and I really hope Dan makes it to the Euro's..... either way relatively happy with the England Squad, hope Cleverly plays well

Back