Capello resigns - Hodgson appointed England boss

Lol. It seems some people simply believe everything the media tells them. We have one player (Rooney) who would get into Germany's team. And maybe Hart depending on form. Other than that their team is better than ours in every way, and Spain is just no contest. I fail to see how people can't realise this. If we did and went into the tournament with realistic expectations we might actually get somewhere.

Im sorry your obvs a man u fan are best England players put together on one pitch can beat any team with the right couching and managment and rooney has been rubbish the last couple of games England have played so can't see where you came up if that?

Lol. It seems some people simply believe everything the media tells them. We have one player (Rooney) who would get into Germany's team. And maybe Hart depending on form. Other than that their team is better than ours in every way, and Spain is just no contest. I fail to see how people can't realise this. If we did and went into the tournament with realistic expectations we might actually get somewhere.

Oh and I don't agree with you on the last bit if are player believe they can beat Spain, Germany ect. Then they will do a lot better I think ATM England don't think they can go anywhere in the tournament I think that shud be Roy's first job getting the players to believe again.

Im sorry your obvs a man u fan are best England players put together on one pitch can beat any team with the right couching and managment and rooney has been rubbish the last couple of games England have played so can't see where you came up if that?

What being a United fan have to do with anything, and no he isn't. He is a Charlton fan. Germany is pretty much a better side in every respect. Rooney has barely played for England since he got banned, but before that he was very good, and is still England's most inform forward, and Englands best player alongside Cole and Hart. England have many different types of coaches, including one of the very best in Capello and still arent quite good enough.

Oh and I don't agree with you on the last bit if are player believe they can beat Spain, Germany ect. Then they will do a lot better I think ATM England don't think they can go anywhere in the tournament I think that shud be Roy's first job getting the players to believe again.

Who says they dont believe already? Belief isnt enough, you think other teams don't have belief as well? difference is they have a proper tactical approach to go with it. Right now england dont.

What being a United fan have to do with anything, and no he isn't. He is a Charlton fan. Germany is pretty much a better side in every respect. Rooney has barely played for England since he got banned, but before that he was very good, and is still England's most inform forward, and Englands best player alongside Cole and Hart. England have many different types of coaches, including one of the very best in Capello and still arent quite good enough.

Being in form for you club isn't the same as being in form for you country and capello may be a good couch but his English isn't very good how can you motivate a team and tell them what you want wen you can't speak good English the fact that we now have a English manager will motivate the team we need good English couches

Being in form for you club isn't the same as being in form for you country and capello may be a good couch but his English isn't very good how can you motivate a team and tell them what you want wen you can't speak good English the fact that we now have a English manager will motivate the team we need good English couches

Form wise, Rooney is still one of England's best players. Our best results in recent times came under a Swedish manager. Puts a hole in your argument there.

And motivation isn't enough. Never has been, never will be.

Form wise, Rooney is still one of England's best players. Our best results in recent times came under a Swedish manager. Puts a hole in your argument there.

And motivation isn't enough. Never has been, never will be.

Well as capello is the most successful England manager he cudnt of done tht well and I'm not saying Rooney is a rubbish player and I know hes one of are best players what I'm saying is he not are only player ur making out like all are other players are rubbish and motivation is ONE the biggest thing that needs changing with England motivation alone will improve England dramatically but to start winning tournaments we need to start playing football and stop playing long balls all the time

Well as capello is the most successful England manager he cudnt of done tht well and I'm not saying Rooney is a rubbish player and I know hes one of are best players what I'm saying is he not are only player ur making out like all are other players are rubbish and motivation is ONE the biggest thing that needs changing with England motivation alone will improve England dramatically but to start winning tournaments we need to start playing football and stop playing long balls all the time

I have not made anything about about the rest of the players, I pointed out that England as a sid are not in teh same bracket as Germany, not by a long shot.

Capello isnt the most successful English manager in recent times, he just has the best win percentage. Do you even know who i'm talking about? Sven Goran Eriksson (the swedish manager im talking about) took England to 3 quarter finals in a row, twice we were moments away from semi finals. We have not even gone close since then. So no the manager doesn't need to be English.

Motivation isnt the issue. The fact that right now we have not any kind of game plan is.

Capello isnt the most successful English manager in recent times, he just has the best win percentage. Do you even know who i'm talking about? Sven Goran Eriksson (the swedish manager im talking about) took England to 3 quarter finals in a row, twice we were moments away from semi finals. We have not even gone close since then. So no the manager doesn't need to be English..

Don't really care about your argument just thought I'd point out.. Sven was in charge of our best generation of players in a long, long time.. If we can only get to the quarter-finals with that squad, you can of have to kind accept the fact we're going to do even worse no matter who's in charge.

Don't really care about your argument just thought I'd point out.. Sven was in charge of our best generation of players in a long, long time.. If we can only get to the quarter-finals with that squad, you can of have to kind accept the fact we're going to do even worse no matter who's in charge.

Its not about doing better or worse, its the idea of English coach somehow automatically being better than a foreign one. That generation was still playing after Sven left, and some of the players are still playing today. So no it doesnt change the fact that our best recent results came under a foreign manager.

Last edited:
Its not about doing better or worse, its the idea of English coach somehow automatically being better than a foreign one. That generation was still playing after Sven left, and some of the players are still playing today. So no it doesnt change the fact that our best recent results came under a foreign manager.
e
Eh? I'm all for a foreign manager? I think the idea that only an English manager can motivate English players is ridiculous..

I was just pointing out the fact that it doesn't matter who the manager is, it takes talent to win big tournaments, judging on that we'd be lucky to even reach the quarter-finals in Euro 2012.

e
Eh? I'm all for a foreign manager? I think the idea that only an English manager can motivate English players is ridiculous..

I was just pointing out the fact that it doesn't matter who the manager is, it takes talent to win big tournaments, judging on that we'd be lucky to even reach the quarter-finals in Euro 2012.

I was never talking about how we we may or may not do.

Although its not just about talent, its about using that talent. Its the latter that England are exceptionally poor at.

For example we like utilising wingplay, but then dont pick someone who excels at constantly supplying them (Carrick), we take one of our most dynamic attacking mids (Gerrard) and stick him out wide. And then we marginalise the best english centre mid of the last 20 years (Scholes) so we can play all our best players at once. A good system will always give you more than the sum of your parts. Understanding that and then finding a manager capable of that is the problem.

Is there enough talent in England to win a tournament? maybe, with a good amount of luck. But that would require the best usage of that, and that is our greatest failing as a nation in my eyes.

e

They don't have to be English really they have to know good English and they have to have managed at least one team in the premiere ship but in my opinion an English manager and all English staff in charge of England is better

They don't have to be English really they have to know good English and they have to have managed at least one team in the premiere ship but in my opinion an English manager and all English staff in charge of England is better

You say this, but you dont answer why. The only part I can agree with is the language. Nationality is totally irrelevant to success.

Find it hilarious that someone is posting criticising Capello's English, yet seems to think we need a better couch... Now that we have Hodgson lets get the upholstery search on its way.

You say this, but you dont answer why. The only part I can agree with is the language. Nationality is totally irrelevant to success.

I don't have an answer I just think England shud have an English couch same as I think Germany shud have an german couch which they do and are playing very good football Spain shud have a Spanish manager n they do and have had an amazing couple of years

I don't have an answer I just think England shud have an English couch same as I think Germany shud have an german couch which they do and are playing very good football Spain shud have a Spanish manager n they do and have had an amazing couple of years

That isnt a necessisty, that is a preference. It wont make us any better.

Spain arent doing well because the coach is Spanish, they are doing well because the coach is brilliant, and they have a long term plan in place right from 14 and up. Ditto Germany. It is not their nationality that put them where they are. It is their sheer skill, planning, tactical knowledge, long term dedication of the respective FAs, patience, willingness to give people time.

That isnt a necessisty, that is a preference. It wont make us any better.

Spain arent doing well because the coach is Spanish, they are doing well because the coach is brilliant, and they have a long term plan in place right from 14 and up. Ditto Germany. It is not their nationality that put them where they are. It is their sheer skill, planning, tactical knowledge, long term dedication of the respective FAs, patience, willingness to give people time.

To continue on; national mindset, footballing ideology from kids right the way up, etc etc etc.

I've played enough football around the world against various nationalities to realise a few things, and the blindingly obvious one is the way we play 5-a-side compared to the rest of the world.

British coaches and the FA as a whole are pushing small sided games (usually on astro turf) from age group football all the way up to help improve first touch, short passing and movement.

The problem is immediately obvious as soon as you watch any powerleague game from the sidelines, and even more so if you watch a small sided kids game. We play the game at a million miles an hour. It's end to end chaos.

I have first hand experience of playing plenty of football against teams made up of various nationalities, and in various countries. Different football cultures have different ways of playing football and while the differences are usually more obvious in 11 a side games, in small sided stuff there is always a common denominator, KEEP THE BALL. These teams always built slowly, passing the ball, rotating it among the team as well as rotating the team around an almost stationary ball (the ball only ever moves 4-5 yards away from a central spot whilst the players movement keeps the defence occupied) - something Ferguson has referred to as 'the carousel' when describing Barcelonas midfield play.

These teams often played at walking pace, keeping the ball, progressing as slowly as they wanted up pitch, springing a quick attack with a run or an incisive pass when the opportunity presented - often a goal would be scored with the first touch after a quick pass, in the minute(s) before this stunningly quick hammer blow there were usually dozens of short, simple, 'boring' passes. Dribbling was almost never a weapon that was utilised by these teams.

The contrast when watching a UK small sided game is incredible. Usually the best dribbler on the pitch dominates the game, and if he cant dribble his way through and ends up losing it, the opposition either try to dribble their way through and attack or try early, 'forced' through balls. Our foreign counterparts never attempt such a ball if it is forced. Much better to keep the ball and tire the opposition into a mistake.

Zebedee, Mike and others have said it before, but the idea of what football is, and the way we play must change in England (and the UK) as a whole if we are to reap the benefits at international level. The traditional British way of 442, with the emphasis on hard work over technical ability if both aren't achievable can only get you so far in the modern game.

Just to add quickly. As Zebedee mentioned somewhere previously. Appointing Roy and suggesting he and the FA share the same ideas over a project is a move akin to Sven in terms of tactics and football ideology.

However, as a member of technical study panels for both FIFA and UEFA for a number of years now, Roy has spent plenty of time watching and learning just what styles of football are played at big tournaments, and one would hope he's realised a few things and has adapted his management style accordingly. Certainly in Fulhams Europa League run his tactics were spot on against a number of big European sides (Roma, Wolfsburg, Juve, Shakhtar) whilst still maintaining some of the English identity that is appealing to the FA.

As i've said before, i don't think the FA's current plan/project/whatever title you want to give it is the correct way for English football to be heading, but Roy is probably the best fit for what they are looking for.