Capello resigns - Hodgson appointed England boss

I just think debating manager records is beside the point at this time, Capello had one, Hodgson, in comparison, does not.

Actually, he does. In the international arena, Hodgson's is actually better than Capello's, I'd argue. Taking the Swiss to third in the world is no mean feat indeed.

The only reasonable thing to do would be keeping Pearce as temporary manager , at least he is sort of in the loop, and has more personal experience at top level national football than any of the current players.

Irrelevant and untrue. Not only does top level national experience count for practically nothing in a manager nowadays, Pearce has fewer caps than Ashley Cole, to name but one.

Lastly, nope. A lot of people seem to think "passion" is a factor. Specifically whether "native" manager being naturallly passionate towards his country can have impact on team performance. X or Y or Z will have a passion towards our team and it will somehow carry us. Nope. This sort of stuff can maybe carry high schoolers at best. Otherwise if you don't have passion for sport you don't make it to top level regardless of where you're from.

Which is exactly what he's saying.

Irrelevant and untrue. Not only does top level national experience count for practically nothing in a manager nowadays, Pearce has fewer caps than Ashley Cole, to name but one.

Reminded me of that Sacchi quip when his record as a player was questioned - "I didn't realise you had to be a horse before becoming a jockey".

Reminded me of that Sacchi quip when his record as a player was questioned - "I didn't realise you had to be a horse before becoming a jockey".

Classic line, and one that should never be forgotten.

Old article, but a good one on our press and their relationship with the England manager: When Saturday Comes - The Half Decent Football Magazine - Reckless Eriksson

Don't blame any manager (club or country) who lays down the law and tells the press where to go. Actively encourage it when it's deserved too. Might be something which some may not have really noticed before, but it's been going on for a long time. There's two ways to play it - get friendly and have a love-in or tell them where to go. Hodgson should be worried that even his 'friends' (like Henry Winter) are already sharpening their knives. Contrary to the belief in some quarters, he's actually exceptionally prickly and snide when he's in the spotlight and not getting softball questions.

Where has Winter been sharpening his knives? Shown nothing but support for Hodgson so far.

As for your point about him prickly and snide, isn't that a common theme amongst managers when things aren't going there way? Only really occurred during Roy's time at Liverpool as well.

And no since Roy was announced, no one has talked about passion.

There has been no debate about passion or Capello, just Hodgson vs Redknapp.

If you believe in the manager then passion shows through from the fans and players. Fulham fans loved him. Still heard chants of 'Roy Roy Roy' at Craven Cottage even after he departed.

He may not be 'passionate' in the way that is media friendly like Harry, but if it works then who cares?

I don't understand why we are writing him off before he's even started. If England have even a moderately successful tournament it will be a huge achievement considering the time constraints and added pressure from day one from the media who wanted Harry.

Where has Winter been sharpening his knives? Shown nothing but support for Hodgson so far.

As for your point about him prickly and snide, isn't that a common theme amongst managers when things aren't going there way? Only really occurred during Roy's time at Liverpool as well.

Happened at Inter too, but I wasn't following him while he was elsewhere other than this country. True enough on it being a reaction to things not going too well.

There was a piece in Henry's rag the other day about how Roy had to 'learn how to..' and ultimately when you boiled Winter's nonsense down, it came down to 'learn how to be a top flight manager'.

Last edited:
Actually, he does. In the international arena, Hodgson's is actually better than Capello's, I'd argue. Taking the Swiss to third in the world is no mean feat indeed.

Third in FIFA rating. If place if FIFA rating meant anything at all, we wouldnt even need tournaments like Euro and WC. He did good with them, yes. Did he had 3rd team of the world? No.

It does'nt count in club football. High level tournaments occur so rarely you cant really reason whether it does count or not. In this very specific situation, with very little time left, i think its beneficial to have former player as manager. You can bring a guy who is brilliant tactician, organiser and talent spotter, and its not gonna matter because he has no time to apply any of this knowledge. Also, i'm not about caps, Pearce had been on the pitch when best tournament results happened, he has tournament experience.

Yeah, he also didnt even make it out of group stage with Italy at Euro 96.

Third in FIFA rating. If place if FIFA rating meant anything at all, we wouldnt even need tournaments like Euro and WC. He did good with them, yes. Did he had 3rd team of the world? No.

That's personal opinion vs fact. If you want, we can look at another measure, his win/loss record. 21 won, 10 drawn, 10 lost. That's a pretty remarkable record. Take Ottmar Hitzfeld, a modern managerial legend, and his record with the Swiss for comparison. 14 won, 12 drawn, 8 lost. That's a win % of about 41 to Hodgson's 51.

Say what you like, but every statistic points towards Hodgson doing an absolutely stellar job with the Swiss.

It does'nt count in club football. High level tournaments occur so rarely you cant really reason whether it does count or not. In this very specific situation, with very little time left, i think its beneficial to have former player as manager. You can bring a guy who is brilliant tactician, organiser and talent spotter, and its not gonna matter because he has no time to apply any of this knowledge. Also, i'm not about caps, Pearce had been on the pitch when best tournament results happened, he has tournament experience.

Tournament experience as a player =/= tournament experience as a manager. They're completely, utterly different. If being a good player made you a good manager, Roy Keane wouldn't have flopped. John Barnes should be brilliant. It's a complete load of bollocks.

Having a guy who's a brilliant tactician, organiser and talent spotter is far, FAR more beneficial than having a former player in this situation. Pearce has been underwhelming in his role as England U21s coach, and from what I've seen much of his lack of success can be put down to tactical naivete and bad decisions. I'd much rather have a manager who can think clearly and react to events on the pitch with a tactical plan and structure rather than some minor England legend we dredged up.

You're criticising Arrigo Sacchi. Cute. Alright, you know someone else who didn't have top-level national experience as a player and managed in a World Cup? Marcello Lippi. Oh, and Luiz Felipe Scolari.

That's personal opinion vs fact.

Well, nope. FIFA rating doesn't matter to anyone. Fact. Next time you see 100.000 people celebrating on the street because their national team is high in FIFA rating, let me know though.

If you want, we can look at another measure, his win/loss record. 21 won, 10 drawn, 10 lost. That's a pretty remarkable record.

And i've already said the same thing, no?

Tournament experience as a player =/= tournament experience as a manager.

Tournament experience is tournament experience. Players are not zombies, they observe and analyse the things happening around, what goes wrong and what goes right. Again, tournament is not club league competitions where you have time to correct things, any kind of experience is important and vital.

You're criticising Arrigo Sacchi. Cute.

His record with national team is less then stellar, so , yeah

Alright, you know someone else who didn't have top-level national experience as a player and managed in a World Cup? Marcello Lippi. Oh, and Luiz Felipe Scolari.

Oh, and they both worked for couple years on their teams. Not barely a month.

Well, nope. FIFA rating doesn't matter to anyone. Fact. Next time you see 100.000 people celebrating on the street because their national team is high in FIFA rating, let me know though.

Well, yes it is fact. No matter how worthless you think the FIFA rating is, it's still a fact that the Swiss were third in the rankings under Hodgson. Your opinion that they're worthless is just that; an opinion. Whereas I'm basing my argument on facts and figures, albeit perhaps flawed ones.

Tournament experience is tournament experience. Players are not zombies, they observe and analyse the things happening around, what goes wrong and what goes right. Again, tournament is not club league competitions where you have time to correct things, any kind of experience is important and vital.

A player's experience is totally different to a manager's. I'll admit there's a certain amount of experience to be gained that benefits both a player and a manager in similar ways, but it is very, very limited. A player's job is primarily geared towards playing, whereas the manager gains experience in, well, managerial ability. Not playing. They're two completely different things.

His record with national team is less then stellar, so , yeah

The fact that you're criticising one of the greatest managers in the history of the game rather speaks volumes. Moreover, you pretty obviously don't know what you're talking about. Sacchi took Italy to a World Cup Final, and was one Divine Ponytail shoddy penalty away from winning it. He could hardly be blamed for the Euro 92 failure to qualify, seeing as he came in towards the end of the qualification process, and indeed the Euro 96 group stage exit was pretty much the only blot on his record as Italy manager.

Oh, and they both worked for couple years on their teams. Not barely a month.

Right, so as we have said it's not a perfect situation. But my point remains that Stuart Pearce is a pretty poor manager at the moment, and I'd far, FAR rather have Hodgson's nous and enviable international record than someone who thinks that playing Michael Mancienne in midfield is super epic awesome tactics.

Right, so as we have said it's not a perfect situation. But my point remains that Stuart Pearce is a pretty poor manager at the moment, and I'd far, FAR rather have Hodgson's nous and enviable international record than someone who thinks that playing Michael Mancienne in midfield is super epic awesome tactics.

not as good as David James upfront.

Yeah, was a rough tournament - not enough time to drill the defence really cost them against the Czechs. But who'd have thought Zola would have missed a penalty? The runner's up medal for 94 will be a bigger regret though.

Last edited:
Well, yes it is fact. No matter how worthless you think the FIFA rating is, it's still a fact that the Swiss were third in the rankings under Hodgson. Your opinion that they're worthless is just that; an opinion. Whereas I'm basing my argument on facts and figures, albeit perhaps flawed ones.

In all honesty the only thing i disagreed about is calling them 3rd team in the world. Otherwise , yeah, they were 3rd team in the rankings, and it was a great success , Hardly a point to debate about it further, these are factual statements.

A player's experience is totally different to a manager's. I'll admit there's a certain amount of experience to be gained that benefits both a player and a manager in similar ways, but it is very, very limited. A player's job is primarily geared towards playing, whereas the manager gains experience in, well, managerial ability. Not playing. They're two completely different things.

My view on it, is that national teams these days are a world away from the well oiled machines club teams are, and i'm sure most people who watch national football will admit it as well.

In this specific area of national, tournament football, where edges are more rough and most players only get to experience full scope of it once or twice in their career, former player experience matters the most.

But obviously this is just one factor, amongst countless others.

The fact that you're criticising one of the greatest managers in the history of the game rather speaks volumes. Moreover, you pretty obviously don't know what you're talking about. Sacchi took Italy to a World Cup Final, and was one Divine Ponytail shoddy penalty away from winning it. He could hardly be blamed for the Euro 92 failure to qualify, seeing as he came in towards the end of the qualification process, and indeed the Euro 96 group stage exit was pretty much the only blot on his record as Italy manager.

He was trashed by half of his own country after Euro 96, i think he can survive a little bit of extra criticism from me about it.

And have you actually watch WC'94? The final result was good , sure, the playing was not. They barely even got out of group stages, essentialy the entire tournament they were parking a bus in their own goal and praying for flash of genius from Baggio. It was hardly impressive and nowhere near the dominative performances Sacchi's Milan used to deliver.

Well, thats my entire point really. In this particular situation i'd rather have mediocre manager who is in the loop, then God of football who barely has time to introduce himself.

I think you guys get a tad overzealous over Hodgson abilities and a tad underplay the fact he barely has a time to put these abilities to work.

But otherwise , yes, if i had to chose between the two in a perfect scenario, screw you Pearce and go Hodgson.

Last edited:
Dont work in England Capello, you may have made mistakes, but there is something distinct nasty about our press when comes foreign and "different" people, or indeed anyone they dont like.

Still a top class manager.

still wonder though if he can transform our squad and all that overhaul thing.

So we've got Roy Hodgson and its going to be "drill drill drill" from now on. Not my choice but ill support him and the team. Certainly not as bad as the press are making out and deserves more respect and support tbh.

At least its not still Sven which was more "screw screw screw"