Carling Cup 3rd Round Draw and Discussion

• Thread starter Thread starter Calum
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 325
  • Views Views 14K
Status
Not open for further replies.
Kyrgiakos isnt exactly a top four defender. Lucas is also pretty poor at defensive midfield. I think the jury is still out on Ngog, he has had some good form but it is debatable that he can keep it up for long enough to seriously help Liverpool over the whole season. Also remains to be seen whether Jovanovic can hack it in the Premier League.

Kyrgiakos is very underrated, very good defender, better than Skrtel for me. Yeah.. because Lucas isn't a defensive midfielder? I still don't rate N'Gog so yeah he's another. Jovanovic has already shown glimpses that he is a good player.

Kyrgiakos isnt exactly a top four defender. Lucas is also pretty poor at defensive midfield. I think the jury is still out on Ngog, he has had some good form but it is debatable that he can keep it up for long enough to seriously help Liverpool over the whole season. Also remains to be seen whether Jovanovic can hack it in the Premier League.
We needed cover after Hyypia left, and we bought a similar typed player in Kryigakos, I have full faith in him, he's played a bunch of big matches and has never let me down. Just because we signed him for 1.6M from AEK Athens dosen't mean he's not good.

Jovanovic is awful, so far. All legs, nothing else. Spends most time on the floor

i am still asking myself, how did this happen.. HOW? can i have my season ticket money back? -.^

i am still asking myself, how did this happen.. HOW? can i have my season ticket money back? -.^

nah Hicks and Gillette are thankfull for your money. Plus im sure it will get better mate i honestly think it will.

Jovanovic is awful, so far. All legs, nothing else. Spends most time on the floor

:O I reckon he's looked decent. Quick strong, good in the air (useful under Hodgson), decent crosser. We'll see though eh :)

---------- Post added at 11:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:17 PM ----------

You support Belenenses, I presume you live in Portugal and you are a Liverpool season ticket holder?

:O I reckon he's looked decent. Quick strong, good in the air (useful under Hodgson), decent crosser. We'll see though eh :)
He takes some good cornors, but we don't put in crosses...Ever, so I doubt we will see :P:$;)

Kyrgiakos is very underrated, very good defender, better than Skrtel for me. Yeah.. because Lucas isn't a defensive midfielder? I still don't rate N'Gog so yeah he's another. Jovanovic has already shown glimpses that he is a good player.

We needed cover after Hyypia left, and we bought a similar typed player in Kryigakos, I have full faith in him, he's played a bunch of big matches and has never let me down. Just because we signed him for 1.6M from AEK Athens dosen't mean he's not good.

Suprised that you rate Krygiakos so highly, the money has nothing to do with it, bargains can be found I just dont think that he is one, personally I would rather have Skrtel. My point about Lucas wasnt quite understood, he isnt half the player that Mascherano or even Poulsen are. Would have thought there is better defensive midfielders around than him for similar money.

to be fair that only tells half the story, its short sideways slow passing, with little penetration, the ball then goes back for the fullbacks who launch it forwards
Don't think thats really true.
I've had a look at the guardians chalkboards at the passes made by the liverpool players in there games and unless i'm missing something there are very few long balls. I think it's a totally unfounded criticism of him.

He took over a tough situation at liverpool. Since he's been there they've had to sell one of there only top class players, mascherano. He's still adjusting, so why can't he be given some time. It would have been nice to have a cup run but it's the ****** carling cup. Going out of it is not the end of the world. Not even close.

He's faced two of last seasons top 4 away, one at home. Played a birmingham side who lost at home only twice last season. Only easy side they've faced is west brom.

I don't see how you can argue it's justified for people to be calling for his head.

Suprised that you rate Krygiakos so highly, the money has nothing to do with it, bargains can be found I just dont think that he is one, personally I would rather have Skrtel. My point about Lucas wasnt quite understood, he isnt half the player that Mascherano or even Poulsen are. Would have thought there is better defensive midfielders around than him for similar money.
Lucas came as the under 21 captain, with a reputation for attacking very well, we signed him for 6 million. I'd much rather have him that Poulsen. As for Mascherano, he wanted out, what could we do? Make him stay by stealing his passport?

I've had a look at the guardians chalkboards at the passes made by the liverpool players in there games and unless i'm missing something there are very few long balls. I think it's a totally unfounded criticism of him.

He took over a tough situation at liverpool. Since he's been there they've had to sell one of there only top class players, mascherano. He's still adjusting, so why can't he be given some time. It would have been nice to have a cup run but it's the ****** carling cup. Going out of it is not the end of the world. Not even close.

He's faced two of last seasons top 4 away, one at home. Played a birmingham side who lost at home only twice last season. Only easy side they've faced is west brom.

I don't see how you can argue it's justified for people to be calling for his head.
i never justifed calling for his head, i said why they were angry. there are long balls from the fullbacks this ive actually seen while watching. and they are into the channels for torres, very contrary to his style. when they get the ball down there is little penetration

You clearly don't watch Liverpool much, we play horrible football. A lot of long balls. As has been said it's not the results it's the awful football we're playing, fans pay a lot of money for tickets and Liverpool have always played at least decent football. Yeah we played an easy side in West Brom and had it not been for Torres, chances are we'd of drew...

---------- Post added at 11:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:26 PM ----------

i never justifed calling for his head, i said why they were angry. there are long balls from the fullbacks this ive actually seen while watching. and they are into the channels for torres, very contrary to his style. when they get the ball down there is little penetration

You clearly observe better than most people on the thread :)

Roy Hodgson admitted he was left bitterly disappointed by Liverpool's Carling Cup exit at the hands of Northampton Town on Wednesday night.

Milan Jovanovic appeared to have set the Reds on their way to victory with a clinical ninth-minute strike, but Billy McKay drew Northampton level early in the second half.

Kevin Thornton then put the Cobblers ahead in extra-time and though David Ngog levelled, Liverpool were left stunned after the League Two side claimed a 4-2 penalty shootout victory.

Afterwards, Hodgson confirmed he shared the fans' frustration at the defeat.

"I didn't think we came anywhere near to what I'd hoped to see from the team except perhaps in the last 15 minutes of extra-time when we really made a superb effort after going 2-1 down," the boss told a post-match press conference.

"It didn't look good (after going behind), but we certainly did everything we could to take the game to them and maybe we were a little bit unlucky not to get a third goal in that period because we had a good grip on the game and both teams were tiring.

"But when it goes to penalties and you're at home in front of the Kop, your hope is that the players will have the composure and confidence to win the shootout. But we didn't and all I can do is congratulate Northampton and apologise to everyone. The fans who came tonight obviously expected to see us win, I expected to see us win but it wasn't to be."

Liverpool made wholesale changes for the cup tie to the team that had taken to the field for Sunday's clash with Manchester United at Old Trafford.

Hodgson added: "The fans know we took a risk by playing a totally different team. I thought the fans were very good as usual and the support for the team was excellent.

"I don't think fans will see it any differently to the way I saw it, they won't be any more disappointed than I am.

"There is nothing I can say that will make them feel any better because they're going home bitterly disappointed that we're out of the Carling Cup and what's more, we've been knocked out by a team several leagues lower than us.

"There is nothing to say except I thought the effort was there, we didn't lose because we were casual in our approach or lethargic in our play, we lost unfortunately because we defended poorly on a couple of occasions and didn't use the ball well enough with the possession we had.

"Basically, there are 12 or 13 players if you take Fabio Aurelio, who didn't play tonight and are the more famous names. But outside of them, the players we had out tonight are the ones we have and I thought it was a good opportunity for them to show what they can do at Anfield.

"I have to say, Northampton were clearly better than one would have expected from a team playing where they play. We must give them credit. We knew they were quite a good team from watching them, but I honestly believed with the quality of players we had on the field, with both international and Barclays Premier League experience, we would be good enough to win the game - but we weren't."

Hodgson acknowledged he was disappointed by the manner of his side's performance and insisted that the defeat was the responsibility of both players and manager.

He said: "The fact is these players have to accept responsibility. I have to accept responsibility for changing a lot of players in the team, but I did it because I thought the players I put on the field would be good enough to go out and win the game.

"They weren't, so the obvious conclusion to that is that I shouldn't have changed so many players and should have let some of those players who played against Manchester United play tonight, but I honestly believed the team we put out on the field would have been strong enough to get a result.

"But we weren't and that's because we didn't play well enough, didn't pass the ball well enough throughout the game and you must give some credit to Northampton who worked extremely hard and I'm sure they'll go away feeling they have stolen nothing here tonight and were worth their victory."

He continued: "They (the players) will have to do a lot of work to get themselves back into favour, but it's early doors for some of them. Some of the players who played tonight are still quite young.

"But it's enough for me to say I am very disappointed and you can see that on my face. I did not expect to be sitting here having lost a penalty shootout, which is the worst possible way of losing matches I can assure you. I have lost a UEFA Cup final on penalties, so I know how bitter they are, what a lottery they are and what damage they can do to the players who miss them.

"It's one game. It's a very disappointing game but there are lots more games to play and I would expect these players to be very, very disappointed about their performance tonight, to learn from it, to bounce back and if they're going to be Liverpool players, to kick on from this very low point in everyone's career."

Reporters quizzed Hodgson on how big of a setback he felt the defeat was to the club.

He responded: "The fact is the Carling Cup is a competition which we are capable of doing well in and this is the third round, playing against a lower league club, so if it doesn't result in a victory it is a very negative thing.

"It's one of many setbacks we're facing at the moment and it's a tough period to work and live through, but we will work and live through it. We will survive it and get better. I will learn an awful lot from this defeat tonight about an awful lot of people.

"It's not just myself who will be disappointed and upset that things didn't go our way - there are lots of players who played tonight who will be disappointed as well."

Jonjo Shelvey's appearances as a substitute in extra-time helped lift Liverpool, with the midfielder playing a part in Ngog's equaliser.

Hodgson said: "He did well but the fact is he came on in extra-time and people were tiring. We think Jonjo Shelvey is a player with a bright future, but I have to say I am not in the mood for talking about positives.

"We wanted to do well in the Carling Cup and we haven't. We were given a fairly kind draw if you look at the other teams we could have drawn. If you get a team from three leagues below you, you're expect to win and when you don't win, then you can expect to be criticsed from the top downwards.

"We must all take responsibility and I am bitterly disappointed that the team I had so much faith in did not repay that faith this evening, with the exception of one or two."

going one step further than this. I myself have used the chalkboards and i've looked at both Liverpool's pass success rate and Arsenal's over the first 5 games of the season...

Liverpool Pass Success Rate: 86%
Arsenal's Pass Success Rate: 89%

so there's comparing a now called long ball team, to possibly the team that plays the best football in the league. Funny how theres only 3% difference in pass success rate. All i can say is we must have some ****** good headers of the ball if we're winning all those long balls.

IMO Roy's only getting critisized so heavily because it's supposedly not what people want to see, and we want to see football played like Arsenal do. well newsflash for you all. We're not technically gifted as Arsenal, so it's never going to happen. Again, IMO, we're not playing that much differently to how we played under Rafa last season...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back