Carling Cup 3rd Round Draw and Discussion

• Thread starter Thread starter Calum
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 325
  • Views Views 14K
Status
Not open for further replies.
From OptaJoe on Twitter: "Newcastle ended a run of 30 domestic cup games unbeaten at home for Chelsea... Northampton Town have reached the fourth round of the League Cup for the first time since 1966

Most of the players were signed by Benitez and some people would say that the players are not of the quality that Liverpool fans would expect. He may have a point.
Agger? 5 million? Totally worth it
Kryigakos? 1 milliom? Totally worth it
N'gog? 1.6 million? Totally worth it
Lucas? 6 million? Given a hard time, but worth it.
Babel 12 million? Not worth it, but came with a reputation, and started well. They're the players that played tonight, signed by Rafa.

i don't like all this bad critisism that Hodgson is getting. He took over a Liverpool side that were on a decline, he has bought in a few new players but that may take time to gel. He has inherrited what was arguably the best finisher in the world that has taken too many knocks and i believe will struggle to reach the hights he produced again which isen't Hodgson's fault. I feel for him i really do he dosen't deserve all this bad press from media and fans.

At least if Kenny got the job, he has passion for the club, and know what this club is famous for, and wouldn't launch it and hope for the best.

Was discussing this with my Dad earlier on. Kenny said he wanted the job and was dissapointed when he never got it on the radio before the United match. I'd have loved him here and I'm sure he'd have had some inspiration among the players. Also pretty sure he'd have played attractive football if he'd been appointed.

are you guys serious? we do have good players ffs! Meireles, Gerrard, Torres, Reina, Carra.... The thing is.... We need a good manager! Roy isnt that good! yes he took fulham to the final of the europa league... But he just can't do anything with us!

no because that side out there had the quality to beat them, no matter which way you look at it

I think his point was that Northampton were under dogs, but as is some times the case in these cup ties, they believed they could win it, even more so with Liverpools recent troubles. So they went there and were determined to do so, or atleast give it their all.

Was discussing this with my Dad earlier on. Kenny said he wanted the job and was dissapointed when he never got it on the radio before the United match. I'd have loved him here and I'm sure he'd have had some inspiration among the players. Also pretty sure he'd have played attractive football if he'd been appointed.
Yeah, seen that too. Would of been the correct appointment for the fans, one of if not our best player ever taking over, has to have a buzz about it. Agreed with the inspiration too, especially for the local lads.

I think his point was that Northampton were under dogs, but as is some times the case in these cup ties, they believed they could win it, even more so with Liverpools recent troubles. So they went there and were determined to do so, or atleast give it their all.
but thats got nothing to do with rafa. northampton being more motivated on matchday cannot be blamed on a man who is in italy. as for rafa alex has put up a very good thread on the rafa myths, worth a read

Agger? 5 million? Totally worth it
Kryigakos? 1 milliom? Totally worth it
N'gog? 1.6 million? Totally worth it
Lucas? 6 million? Given a hard time, but worth it.
Babel 12 million? Not worth it, but came with a reputation, and started well. They're the players that played tonight, signed by Rafa.

What about Shelvey and Pacheco?

Oh, I agree it all boils down to the owners, thus we wouldn't have Hodgson if we had decent ones. Doubt Reina, Torres etc would have heard of Hodgson before he went to Fulham..

Not sure how you can doubt me as a supporter, my Grandad was a director at the club in the olden' days, I come from a family of Liverpool supporters, I've been a season ticket holder since I was 5. I've been fully behind Roy until now. Couldn't care less if you disagree with me tbh, at the end of the day, fact is, we're probably going to finish lower than we did last season.

Also, not sure how you can say we're not playing route one football :S

well then! real Liverpool supporters don't doubt and get on the backs of their manager after only a handfull of games do they!?

i'm not arguing that we weren't playing route one football - we were the first couple of games. But Roy's trying to put his own stamp on how we play - and personally, i don't think he knows what that stamp is yet. But at least there were signs he wants us to play football in the United game.

If we can play with the fluidity and movemement that was there in the second half against United for the majority of a game, then we'd actually be alright, but atm it seems that it's taking this bad first half, for Hodgson to realise to give the lads a bit of freedom. But againm this links in with him trying to figure it out. It's gunna take time.

This is a freak result, they happen. we need to erase this one from the minds and get on with preparing for Sunderland at the weekend.

but thats got nothing to do with rafa. northampton being more motivated on matchday cannot be blamed on a man who is in italy. as for rafa alex has put up a very good thread on the rafa myths, worth a read

As I said, Liverpools recent troubles, finishing 7th, that was Rafa and some of those signings that played tonight are dodgy and would struggle to get in to the squads of the other top clubs in the Premier League.

As I said, Liverpools recent troubles, finishing 7th, that was Rafa and some of those signings that played tonight are dodgy and would struggle to get in to the squads of the other top clubs in the Premier League.

Who is dodgy exactly? Only Babel I can think of :S

Carling Cup 4th Round Teams

Aston Villa
Arsenal
Birmingham
Swansea
Man Utd
Northampton
Wigan
Newcastle
West Brom
Burnley
Ipswich
Brentford
Leicester
Wolves
West Ham
Stoke

thats got nothing to do with tonight, and the squad that finihsed 7th came the closest to winning the prem in 2008-2009, than at any other time in the last 20 years

Who is dodgy exactly? Only Babel I can think of :S

Kyrgiakos isnt exactly a top four defender. Lucas is also pretty poor at defensive midfield. I think the jury is still out on Ngog, he has had some good form but it is debatable that he can keep it up for long enough to seriously help Liverpool over the whole season. Also remains to be seen whether Jovanovic can hack it in the Premier League.

well then! real Liverpool supporters don't doubt and get on the backs of their manager after only a handfull of games do they!?

Well yes if they feel it is for the good of the club. Look at Souness, if fans had critiscised him slightly more, the directors might have let him go, Liverpool wouldn't have lost their domination of the league.

i'm not arguing that we weren't playing route one football - we were the first couple of games. But Roy's trying to put his own stamp on how we play - and personally, i don't think he knows what that stamp is yet. But at least there were signs he wants us to play football in the United game. If we can play with the fluidity and movemement that was there in the second half against United for the majority of a game, then we'd actually be alright, but atm it seems that it's taking this bad first half, for Hodgson to realise to give the lads a bit of freedom. But againm this links in with him trying to figure it out. It's gunna take time.

The football is horrible, end of.

This is a freak result, they happen. we need to erase this one from the minds and get on with preparing for Sunderland at the weekend.

2/3 seasons ago I would be massively confident going into a game against Sunderland, now, most people would see a draw as a decent result because Roy needs time..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back