Carroll 'not yet ready for debut'

I brought up Ozil and VDV just to emphasize the fact that good players can be bought for cheap. If they would have waited til summer, they certainly could have gotten Carroll for much cheaper (he would just tell Newcastle he wanted to leave and the price would have gone down to the 15-20 million everyone thought he was worth), or they could have gotten another target. Gomez and Llorente would have been expensive, though I doubt 38 million, but anyway they could have found a good player for much cheaper certainly. They could have found a good target man or a bargain target man for much cheaper. I mean, Dzeko was 27 million. He's a proven target man. So there's just no way that Carroll is worth 38. Not even close. So if they wanted the 4-4-2 with Suarez plus a target man, they could have spent some money on a target man that would have been in the same league as Carroll and then shored up the rest of the squad. That's definitely what I would have done with the money.

I never did say he was going to be a failure, I just said that I didn't think it was a good use of the money and that if played in a 4-5-1 he wouldn't be the ideal Torres replacement.

Ferguson has made some big buys, but they are almost always great ones. He wouldn't spend the money if it could be much better spent.

And I would way, way, way rather have Javier Hernandez than Carroll in my team, and I think he has more potential. And I'm not taking into consideration the fact that he was a fraction of the cost.
Gomez was bought at 30 million and is in top form and bayern would not have sold for a loss, Llorente will not be allowed to leave for any less than his 43 million release clause.

Carroll isnt a targetman, he is in fact very similar to dzeko, a complete forward in the making. Liverpool were never in the running for Dzeko, so dont know why you bring that up. They didn't want a target man, they wanted an aerial complete forward.

whether you would want hernandez in your side over carroll doesnt matter becuase he isnt the type of player they were looking for. they looking to a complete forward to supplement the lethal running forward in Suarez.

They were bought to forge a partnership up front. you keep saying they could have bought this or that, but you dont say who they could have bought?

In short:

Carroll is a fairly quick, aerially strong complete forward in the making, good with both feet, and more than capable of dropping deep/ moving into channels at will, with real potential.

Suarez is a lethal forward, who excels into getting in to free space. that space will be created by Carroll.

Was he expensive? yes
Is he a flop? certainly not he hasnt even played yet
Can he fit the side? yes certainly

Last edited:
And signing of the century: I would say Vieira. Wasn't he like 3 million quid or something?

Keane - 3 Million
Great Dane Half Million- one of the best goal keeper ever
King Cantona - 1.5 Million.

---------- Post added at 11:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:07 AM ----------

Curtis290, When you buy the player from the same league, it will be always expensive. They could have gone for Llorente but what if he fails to adapt to the pace of the league? League proven players are always expensive no matter what.

Hernandez and Carroll are tow completely different players. One is a typical poacher and other is close to complete forward. Beast in air, powerful shot and good hold up play.

Its the nth time mentioned on this site, Carroll was over priced but Liverpool had no choice but to pay. They could have waited till Summer, but what if any bidding war started? The very same reason Chelsea signed Torres in Jan window. They didn't want to involve in any bidding war. So they signed him in Jan. Plus signing in Jan gives player an extra half a season to get used to new club, so that he can have full preseason under his belt and start all guns blazing.

And also Carroll is home grown which is like gold dust with 25 member squad rule.