Celtic plan to ban poppy appealers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamScfc

WINNING
Reaction score
Celtic aim to ban those found responsible for a giant anti-poppy banner displayed at the weekend.
The protest unveiled on Saturday read: "Your deeds would shame all the devils in ****. Ireland, Iraq, Afghanistan. No bloodstained poppy on our Hoops."
Celtic issued an apology for any offence caused and will launch an investigation aimed at banning the perpetrators from home games.
All 12 SPL clubs will wear poppies on their shirts next weekend.
Scottish Premier League chief executive Neil Doncaster confirmed that the governing body would also investigate the matter.

"It's clearly regrettable that a weekend of so much excitement on the pitch has been dominated by reporting of events off the pitch," said Doncaster in relation to the banner at Celtic Park and crowd trouble during the Edinburgh derby.

A section of Celtic fans have long campaigned against the wearing of poppies.
But Doncaster said it was now an established practice in the SPL for all clubs to wear poppies on their shirts on the weekend of Remembrance Sunday.
"We would welcome the fact that Celtic have moved quickly to apologise," he said.
"I would also point out that all 12 of the SPL clubs will be wearing poppies on their shirts next weekend in support of Poppy Scotland for the third year in a row."
Doncaster would not be drawn over whether the banner was a breach of stadium rules forbidding political demonstrations but added: "There have been a number of instances of inappropriate behaviour at games.

"These incidents do need to be investigated and they are going to be."

A spokesman later added: "The club is currently carrying out an investigation into this matter. When it is concluded, it is the club's intention to ban those identified as responsible from Celtic Park.
"Celtic fans have rightly earned a magnificent reputation for their positive behaviour and backing of the club.
"It is extremely disappointing that the actions of a small minority have embarrassed Celtic and tarnished the club in this way."
The charity Poppy Scotland described the banner, displayed during the 9-0 win over Aberdeen, as "disrespectful".

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/celtic/9168655.stm?ref=nf

Disgusting imo, sorry if this has always been dicussed.

******* disgusting, i might open up a can of worms here but i realised last season that Man Utd didn't have poppys on their shirts this time last year and nothing was said about it.

That is foul, **** knows what the people around em were doing. I woulda punched the little disrespectful *****.

******* disgusting, i might open up a can of worms here but i realised last season that Man Utd didn't have poppys on their shirts this time last year and nothing was said about it.

Maybe they did and they were camouflaged in there red shirts? ;)

15797322.jpg

Disgraceful in my opinion. Usually I'd say it is only a small minority but there must of been more than 100+ people involved in this one.

any need for saying that at all?

what is your obsession with bashing man utd, it's their choice not to wear one and man utd wern't the only team last year anyway. I don't agree with what the celtic fans have done but hey it's their opinion

the green brigade well done lads

Disgusting. How on earth can you support these actions. Those poor bastards in the war died so you could be here living without fear. **** me if I was running this country people like you would be on the first plane to Afghanistan.

no for the green brigade standing up for the rest of the celtic fans. the celtic fans hate remeberance weekend and have a right to stand up to the celtic board

im all for the green brigade in the atmosphere they bring to celtic park and everything . but theres no place for politics in our club , nor in football or any sport

what is your obsession with bashing man utd, it's their choice not to wear one and man utd wern't the only team last year anyway. I don't agree with what the celtic fans have done but hey it's their opinion

I don't have an obsession with bashing Utd, if anything out of the top sides with the exception of Chelsea obviously i have the most respect for Utd. Its just somthing i pointed out last year and this thread is about the same subject. Anyone who refuses to wear the poppy shouldn't have valid grounds to live in this country. If it wasen't for these men who lost their lifes we would be speaking German or not even be here.

this is going to be a sensitive subject, so this is a general warning to both sides of the debate to mind what they say

terrible to think that things like this are still viewed this way these days in some parts of the world

I don't have an obsession with bashing Utd, if anything out of the top sides with the exception of Chelsea obviously i have the most respect for Utd. Its just somthing i pointed out last year and this thread is about the same subject. Anyone who refuses to wear the poppy shouldn't have valid grounds to live in this country. If it wasen't for these men who lost their lifes we would be speaking German or not even be here.

They're allowed their own views and opinions, I'm not saying I agree with them, but they can think what they want. Free will counts all the time, not just when you want to agree with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.