Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, so I finished this season. May give it another go.

Nice one buddy, congrats on completing the challenge... looks like it was tight down there at the bottom of the av. points table.

@anyone else reading this: still plenty of time to give the CotM a go - the thread won't close until the end of June. :)

First time I have seen this challenge, so i may have a try of it.

Well played Madridboy86, that effort puts you ahead. I'll post the leaderboard in the OP later today.

The database size is kind of big my processors are used to small with only one nation and division I can here them wheezing

haha same here buddy! I run England to level 10 & it takes about 10 minutes to sim the results every saturday! especially the FA Cup 1st Qualifying Round, I usually go to the kitchen & make a sandwich at this point lol.

Leaderboard now added to the OP.

There are still a couple of weeks to go before CotM 2 closes, think you can do better than madridboy86's haul of 34 points? Then show us what you're made of! ;)

Just finished. Great fun, but had to start the challenge several times as I was making such poor starts that I would never get the average points up enough to avoid relegation.

Eventually got my tactics working (based heavily on REO 4-2-3-1 from FM 2009, but without offset striker and AMC and adjusted to new style tactics generator).

I found that Figueroa was nothing special (even though he is half of the wage budget) and once I started using Milton Caraglio as the loan striker the goals started to flow.

Signed 14 players (all free) with Gaston Fernandez by far the best. Played him as AMC, AML and occasionally as AMR or even as a striker (which is really his best position).

Got £2.4m from the sale of 7 pieces of mainly dead wood. This helped with the sign on fees but still required a fair bit of budget adjusting to get in all the players.

The average points over 3 seasons to decide relegation is an interesting format and I had to go some as most of the lower teams seemed to be getting decent results, but in the end I think I won the last 7 games straight, so was comfortable eventually.

Great challenge - please come up with some more similar.

Pics as required:-

We have a new face at the top of the leaderboard! Well done piginho, really impressed with the second place finish in the closing stage league table! :D

During testing, like you, I found Figueroa to be a complete disappointment.

Trouble with figueroa is he sucks up half of the wage bill on his own and you can't seem to sell him as he's only just joined!

Got some really good (for APD that is) freebies. Gaston Fernandez already mentioned, got 10 goals, 6 assists and 1 man-of-match in 19 appearances, oh and second highest average rating at 7.48.

Also got in Jose Luis Diaz 35 year old AM/FC and played him as AMC in 11 games with 6 additional sub appearances - average rating 7.22, 8 goals, 5 assists and 2 man-of-match.

Got Pablo Fontanello as SW/DC and played as CB, with 13 appearances, 1 goal, 1 man-of-match and average rating 7.20. Got Glaucio (34 year old Brazilian) AMRC played on right wing in 14 games (+ 2 as sub) with average of 7.17, 1 goal and 4 assists.

But my real star was already in the team. Milton Caraglio finished on 23 Goals in 26 (+2 sub) appearances, 5 assists, 8 man-of-match and an average of 7.57. Obviously some of that was from first half of season before challenge started.

All in all, was great fun and made a real change from playing as best teams in Premiership, La Liga or Serie A, which is what I usually do.

Also seem to have to contend with lower fitness levels, more injuries, less consistent performances from most players than you would get in best European leagues, to say nothing of the lack of funds and poor back-room staff. This added a bit more spice and I may even carry on this game to see how far I can go with Rosario (Central).

Thanks for bothering to set up such a good challenge.

Trouble with figueroa is he sucks up half of the wage bill on his own and you can't seem to sell him as he's only just joined!

Got some really good (for APD that is) freebies. Gaston Fernandez already mentioned, got 10 goals, 6 assists and 1 man-of-match in 19 appearances, oh and second highest average rating at 7.48.

Also got in Jose Luis Diaz 35 year old AM/FC and played him as AMC in 11 games with 6 additional sub appearances - average rating 7.22, 8 goals, 5 assists and 2 man-of-match.

Got Pablo Fontanello as SW/DC and played as CB, with 13 appearances, 1 goal, 1 man-of-match and average rating 7.20. Got Glaucio (34 year old Brazilian) AMRC played on right wing in 14 games (+ 2 as sub) with average of 7.17, 1 goal and 4 assists.

But my real star was already in the team. Milton Caraglio finished on 23 Goals in 26 (+2 sub) appearances, 5 assists, 8 man-of-match and an average of 7.57. Obviously some of that was from first half of season before challenge started.

All in all, was great fun and made a real change from playing as best teams in Premiership, La Liga or Serie A, which is what I usually do.

Also seem to have to contend with lower fitness levels, more injuries, less consistent performances from most players than you would get in best European leagues, to say nothing of the lack of funds and poor back-room staff. This added a bit more spice and I may even carry on this game to see how far I can go with Rosario (Central).

Thanks for bothering to set up such a good challenge.

My pleasure! Like you I was getting bored with the usual leagues and I then started experimenting with other nations, the FM world is so wide and varied there are endless possibilites locked in there!

Look out for July's challenge, I am considering returning to the big leagues but with a twist of course! ;)

Sorry I haven't had time to do this, quite busy but I'll do it today . Maybe even finish it.

i spent a stupid amount of time making a tactic so imma give it another go ;)

Just got back from the pub after a long day with a cracking headache and the munchies, so a curry and an FM session are in order, so I'll give this a try. I didn't realise that you were doing challenges mate but I'll be giving them a go from now on, they're a really good idea.

Update:

I'm pleased with the first result. I signed 3 players on free transfers, with La Paglia turning out to be the pick of the lot with a value of £2.1m, and scoring an early goal in this match. He got injured in the second half though. The team played well but were the casualties of 2 long range Riquelme rockets, which are never the nicest things to be the recipients of.

Last edited:
There are still are a few days to go before June's CotM closes... don't miss out fm basers!

Finished

Just finished the challenge and it was one of the most frustrating but fun half seasons I've played. The season was going great until the Estudiantes match, where my 3 key players and backbone of my team - La Paglia, Caraglio and Zelaya were put on the long term injury list. After that the results went downhill and became distinctly average. Every player which could be thought of as a key player seemed to get injuries which led to increased frustration.

Burdisso was probably my favourite player, becoming an absolute tank from corners!

All in all my results aren't the best but cheers for the idea, I enjoyed it.

JJ.

Well done jacko, nice effort! I've added you to the leaderboard! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.