Chelsea v Sunderland (1610 GMT)

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 238
  • Views Views 10K
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lads lads Sunderland destroyed the Champions of England away from home.

I feel the thread should be closed on that bombshell.

:)

What a game. That was a league winning performance from Sunderland. ;)

Nice to who Chelsea's real fans are. ^_^

I can see a lot of Chelsea shirts blowing around outside.

Ok first of all, this thread is an absolute joke. Some of you really need to grow up. Seems like the majority of people only came on this thread to take the **** rather than actually reflect on the match itself. It's understandable that people will have a bit of friendly banter but reading through all the comments, some are just ridiculous.

About the game, Sunderland throughly deserved the win. They seemed to be sharper all round, on to every loose ball and winning every challenge. Thankfully we had Cech in good form so that the scoreline didn't become even more embaressing. We see a lot of teams come to the Bridge and just park the bus for 90 minutes, even some of the top teams. But Sunderland threw bodies forward in numbers and destroyed our backline in the end.

Two things I saw from this game which was quite obvious for everyone:

1. We have no strength in depth - Looking at our subs bench, Kalou was the only player that most people would have heard of. The rest just youth players that Chelsea fans will know of but not may others would have.

2. We definately missed our big players today. Alex, Terry, Essien, and to a lesser extent, Lampard all out. Sure we missed these players but what can you do? We saw Villa line up yesterday with 10 outfield players injured and a teamsheet full of youngsters. Yet they still dominated the game and were unlucky in the end not to come away with the win. What was telling was how open our backline was with Paulo at centre back. I don't understand why Ancellotti didn't play Bruma at centre back rather than Ferriera who is naturally a right back, and has no pace or positional awareness whatsoever. Our midfield was an absolute shambles bar Mikel in my opinion. Zhrikov and Ramires in particular were shockingly bad. I lost count the amount of times Ramires was caught in possession today, and when Kalou came on for Malouda instead of Ramires I was just puzzled.

All in all, I think as good as Sunderland were, Chelsea were equally bad. 3-0 is one heck of a result at the Bridge, even more so for a team that is not expected to challenge in the top 5 or 6. The last time we lost by 3 clear goals at home to a team not expected to be top half was back in '95 to Leeds. Great result for Sunderland to bounce back from that match against Newcastle, hopefully we can do the same in our next match.

Oh, I left the match as soon as the 3rd goal went in. I guess that makes me a glory hunter aswell. Idiots.

Brilliant performance today, can't believe we've done them in the way we did. Hendersen had an amazing game and I hope he starts for England against France, he's deserved all the attention he's got. Hats off to Gyan too, 5 league goals in about as many games - top class finisher.

However, Chelsea are still going to win the league.

Oh and I don't know why people are saying "how have they bounced back so well after getting done against Newcastle", when we've beaten Stoke last weekend, and got a good point at Spurs midweek.

Last edited:
Ok first of all, this thread is an absolute joke. Some of you really need to grow up. Seems like the majority of people only came on this thread to take the **** rather than actually reflect on the match itself. It's understandable that people will have a bit of friendly banter but reading through all the comments, some are just ridiculous.

About the game, Sunderland throughly deserved the win. They seemed to be sharper all round, on to every loose ball and winning every challenge. Thankfully we had Cech in good form so that the scoreline didn't become even more embaressing. We see a lot of teams come to the Bridge and just park the bus for 90 minutes, even some of the top teams. But Sunderland threw bodies forward in numbers and destroyed our backline in the end.

1. We have no strength in depth - Looking at our subs bench, Kalou was the only player that most people would have heard of. The rest just youth players that Chelsea fans will know of but not may others would have.

2. We definately missed our big players today. Alex, Terry, Essien, and to a lesser extent, Lampard all out. Sure we missed these players but what can you do? We saw Villa line up yesterday with 10 outfield players injured and a teamsheet full of youngsters. Yet they still dominated the game and were unlucky in the end not to come away with the win. What was telling was how open our backline was with Paulo at centre back. I don't understand why Ancellotti didn't play Bruma at centre back rather than Ferriera who is naturally a right back, and has no pace or positional awareness whatsoever. Our midfield was an absolute shambles bar Mikel in my opinion. Zhrikov and Ramires in particular were shockingly bad. I lost count the amount of times Ramires was caught in possession today, and when Kalou came on for Malouda instead of Ramires I was just puzzled.

All in all, I think as good as Sunderland were, Chelsea were equally bad. 3-0 is one heck of a result at the Bridge, even more so for a team that is not expected to challenge in the top 5 or 6. The last time we lost by 3 clear goals at home to a team not expected to be top half was back in '95 to Leeds. Great result for Sunderland to bounce back from that match against Newcastle, hopefully we can do the same in our next match.

Oh, I left the match as soon as the 3rd goal went in. I guess that makes me a glory hunter aswell. Idiots.

Respect.

Hope you are not referring to me don't think so I have came on for banter as you say but so pelased with performance and like you say for any team to go the bridge and win by 3 clear goals is amazing

Absolutely shocked and delighted at the result. A fine weekend for Arsenal.

JDY, i rasied quesiton about zhirkov/ramires/mikel midfield before the liverpool game, do you not think Chelsea would have been better off playing Macreahan (sp) rather than Zhirkov, who is simply not a central mid?

I said earlier sunderland are showing why the "lesser" teams are hurting the top sides, instead of sitting back, they are employing a disciplined heavy pressing game, winning the ball much higher up the pitch, allowing them to break from more dangerous opinions.

JDY, i rasied quesiton about zhirkov/ramires/mikel midfield before the liverpool game, do you not think Chelsea would have been better off playing Macreahan (sp) rather than Zhirkov, who is simply not a central mid?

I said earlier sunderland are showing why the "lesser" teams are hurting the top sides, instead of sitting back, they are employing a disciplined heavy pressing game, winning the ball much higher up the pitch, allowing them to break from more dangerous opinions.

I agree with this, I don't think playing Zhirkov at centre mid is the right idea, I think McEachran should've started, and also, Ferreira should never have started at centre-back, I think Bruma would have done a better job

I don't know why Ancellotti is so reluctant to play McEachran. I would certainly stick him on the left side of the midfield 3. If you look at those players you mentioned, between them none of them have scored a Premier League goal, and don't offer much in an attacking sense either. The creativity from midfield was non-existant, as shown in the Liverpool match aswell. I don't see the harm in putting McEachran in the team, it will only help him and give us more going forward. Wilshire has come into the Arsenal setup and has played excellently, I don't see why McEachran can't do the same. Only thing I can think of is that we have payed big money for Ramires, 18M I think. Maybe Ancelotti feels he instantly gets a place in the team or something. Zhrikov isnt a central midfieler no, but in the last few matches, not including today and Liverpool, he has performed reasonably well and I think he merited his place in the team today. But Ramires, not at all.

I agree with your second point. Most teams in the bottom half used to go to places like Chelsea, United, and Arsenal not to lose if anything. This season we have seen that reversed with them actually believing they can get something out of the game. WBA and Newcastle at Arsenal, WBA at United, and today at Chelsea. Even when Chelsea went to Blackburn away they totally outplayed us and could have put the game beyond doubt had they taken their chances. We were lucky to win that.

I don't know why Ancellotti is so reluctant to play McEachran. I would certainly stick him on the left side of the midfield 3. If you look at those players you mentioned, between them none of them have scored a Premier League goal, and don't offer much in an attacking sense either. The creativity from midfield was non-existant, as shown in the Liverpool match aswell. I don't see the harm in putting McEachran in the team, it will only help him and give us more going forward. Wilshire has come into the Arsenal setup and has played excellently, I don't see why McEachran can't do the same. Only thing I can think of is that we have payed big money for Ramires, 18M I think. Maybe Ancelotti feels he instantly gets a place in the team or something. Zhrikov isnt a central midfieler no, but in the last few matches, not including today and Liverpool, he has performed reasonably well and I think he merited his place in the team today. But Ramires, not at all.

I agree with your second point. Most teams in the bottom half used to go to places like Chelsea, United, and Arsenal not to lose if anything. This season we have seen that reversed with them actually believing they can get something out of the game. WBA and Newcastle at Arsenal, WBA at United, and today at Chelsea. Even when Chelsea went to Blackburn away they totally outplayed us and could have put the game beyond doubt had they taken their chances. We were lucky to win that.

I think Ancelotti may have no option, the kid has nothing to lose, and everything to gain, and he should be given a chance to show what he's like :)

First of all i love all the slating i get and i haven't even said a thing on here yet just people saying pure ****. I have just come back from the game and its the first time i have seen Chelsea lose in the flesh and i have been to around 50games in my life. The worst part about the game was not us losing 3-0 it was that we deserved to lose by more than 3 (oh i forgot how bias i am).

Cech kept us in the game in the 1st half with some absolutely outstanding saves and he didn't deserve to concede the Onouha(sp) goal. Lets get this out the way because well done to Sunderland they absolutely deserved the win and i wish them well for the rest of the season because they are a great football team.

I can't speak for the rest of the Chelsea fans on here but i stayed right until the final whistle and even clapped the players off the pitch and Drogba acknowledged this and came over to the Matthew Harding Lower where i was and even clapped the fans. For fans on here digging me i think you will find i even said Chelsea haven't dominated a game since the first half of the Blackpool game in September and i think we needed somthing like this to give us a kick up the ****. I was also right about the John Terry thing as someone (sorry cant remember who) said on here already but i thought he would play before faking a injury.

I was a little dissapointed with the inclution of Ferriera at centre back i mean what message is that sending out to Bruma and i even said i would have started with McEachran today. Its our worst defeat at home since we lost 3-0 to Man Utd in 2002 so it just goes to show how strong we are at home. WIN OR LOSE UP THE BLUES!!!

Last edited:
Just got back home and my jaw dropped at the result. I expected Sunderland to possibly get something out of the game - 1-1, I reckoned - but it sounded like an utter pounding. Well done Sunderland.

First of all i love all the slating i get and i haven't even said a thing on here yet just people saying pure ****. I have just come back from the game and its the first time i have seen Chelsea lose in the flesh and i have been to around 50games in my life. The worst part about the game was not us losing 3-0 it was that we deserved to lose by more than 3 (oh i forgot how bias i am). Cech kept us in the game in the 1st half with some absolutely outstanding saves and he didn't deserve to concede the Onouha(sp) goal. Lets get this out the way because well done to Sunderland they absolutely deserved the win and i wish them well for the rest of the season because they are a great football team. I can't speak for the rest of the Chelsea fans on here but i stayed right until the final whistle and even clapped the players off the pitch and Drogba acknowledged this and came over to the Matthew Harding Lower where i was and even clapped the fans. For fans on here digging me i think you will find i even said Chelsea haven't dominated a game since the first half of the Blackpool game in September and i think we needed somthing like this to give us a kick up the ****. I was also right about the John Terry thing as someone (sorry cant remember who) said on here already but i thought he would play before faking a injury. I was a little dissapointed with the inclution of Ferriera at centre back i mean what message is that sending out to Bruma and i even said i would have started with McEachran today. Its our worst defeat at home since we lost 3-0 to Man Utd in 2002 so it just goes to show how strong we are at home. WIN OR LOSE UP THE BLUES!!!

I seriously wish I could like this, but I can't, so *like*. The performance was terrible, but Cech was by far Chelsea's best players

first of all i love all the slating i get and i haven't even said a thing on here yet just people saying pure ****. I have just come back from the game and its the first time i have seen chelsea lose in the flesh and i have been to around 50games in my life. The worst part about the game was not us losing 3-0 it was that we deserved to lose by more than 3 (oh i forgot how bias i am). Cech kept us in the game in the 1st half with some absolutely outstanding saves and he didn't deserve to concede the onouha(sp) goal. Lets get this out the way because well done to sunderland they absolutely deserved the win and i wish them well for the rest of the season because they are a great football team. I can't speak for the rest of the chelsea fans on here but i stayed right until the final whistle and even clapped the players off the pitch and drogba acknowledged this and came over to the matthew harding lower where i was and even clapped the fans. For fans on here digging me i think you will find i even said chelsea haven't dominated a game since the first half of the blackpool game in september and i think we needed somthing like this to give us a kick up the ****. I was also right about the john terry thing as someone (sorry cant remember who) said on here already but i thought he would play before faking a injury. I was a little dissapointed with the inclution of ferriera at centre back i mean what message is that sending out to bruma and i even said i would have started with mceachran today. Its our worst defeat at home since we lost 3-0 to man utd in 2002 so it just goes to show how strong we are at home. Win or lose up the blues!!!

wall of text

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back