Clubs 'wanted to let Pompey die'

• Thread starter Thread starter J0k3r
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 81
  • Views Views 6K
Football is a business, like anything else. What a lot of people don't realise is that to the chairman and the people who spend their lives trying to keep every club running, they don't need the supporters. The revenue made from weekly tickets and seasons tickets, plus the money made in the shop, is less than 1% of the money clubs makes. Football is not a religion, people saying they would die without it. If that were true we wouldn't be here because generations before football wouldn't have survived. Remember, clubs may say they care about the fans, but it has no relevance what they say to how the club is run.

Less than 1%? Really?

Last edited:
Just over 15 hours until I find out if I have a club to support anymore, personally ******** myself. Really hope the team I've supported since the age of 6 doesn't disappear from the football league. Been through the good and bad times with Pompey, hopefully this is as bad as it will get for us and we'll be on the road to recovery.

I hope. :S

Why should the other clubs feel sorry for them? Pompey tried to dodge tax and spent money they didn't have, they deserved it. The fans didn't and the people who have lots their jobs didn't however the people behind the scenes deserved it. I feel sorry for the current owner, he's been dumped with a club full of debt from a loan deal that went wrong. It's a disgrace what's happened at that club, and of all the teams that have been wiped out before this has to be the biggest scandal so far.

The revenue made from weekly tickets and seasons tickets, plus the money made in the shop, is less than 1% of the money clubs makes.

Mate, that is a ridiculous statement to make. You obviously have no idea about how football clubs make their money.

i feel sorry for the fans. its not fair they have to suffer as a result of poor decisions by the clubs management.

Football is a business, like anything else. What a lot of people don't realise is that to the chairman and the people who spend their lives trying to keep every club running, they don't need the supporters. The revenue made from weekly tickets and seasons tickets, plus the money made in the shop, is less than 1% of the money clubs makes. Football is not a religion, people saying they would die without it. If that were true we wouldn't be here because generations before football wouldn't have survived. Remember, clubs may say they care about the fans, but it has no relevance what they say to how the club is run.
Clubs like Arsenal are charging approx 1,825 per season ticket with about 50,000 season ticket holders so Arsenal are making over £90 Million from just season ticket sales excluding normal match tickets & club merchandise so your "1%" revenue claim looks pretty non existant

Last edited:
The money-men of football need to realise football isn't just a game or business, it's more than that, players come and go, board members, managers, but fan's are always there and with no pompy there is no fans, football binds people together as a community and pompy will be missed by me - someone from Glasgow who's never been to Portsmouth, i prey they live on, there fans passion is worth more than money.

Alan Sugar fail :P

Just over 15 hours until I find out if I have a club to support anymore, personally ******** myself. Really hope the team I've supported since the age of 6 doesn't disappear from the football league. Been through the good and bad times with Pompey, hopefully this is as bad as it will get for us and we'll be on the road to recovery.

I feel for you. Palace were in the same situation not so long ago, and we made it (just), but it was agony for all Eagles whilst we were going through it. I truly hope Pompey make it, one of the grand old clubs of England shouldn't be allowed to sink without a trace.

Good luck, and PUP.

Look Portsmouth should stay. I like them apart from Arsenal and Newcastle they are one of my favoured teams. If they collapse who is gonna take their place? It could be the collapse of English football as we know it! I know clubs have gone before, but Portsmouth is an intergral part of English football history!

Look Portsmouth should stay. I like them apart from Arsenal and Newcastle they are one of my favoured teams. If they collapse who is gonna take their place? It could be the collapse of English football as we know it! I know clubs have gone before, but Portsmouth is an intergral part of English football history!

I couldn't agree more.

<)

Would be sad to see any club dissappear!! especially 1 so well supported!

Good luck today pompy, anyone/fan who wishes this club dead isn't a ture football supporter, Rangers wern't far off administration a few months back, and while they are Celtic's rival's if they went out of business Celtic would win the SPL every single year and ruin Scottish football further, put rivalries aside for the greater good.

Football has become a business in which investor's put their money in in hope of getting richly rewarded,I dont blame anyone in particular as anything that is popular nowadayas is becoming more about money,its the ad but irreveresable truth about today's modern era...

Thoughts are with Pompey supporters today.

Hope the judge tells HMRC, in the nicest possible way, to "get to ****.".

Portsmouth have warned they could go out of business if Thursday's High Court tax ruling goes against them.
HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) is seeking an order blocking a proposed Company Voluntary Agreement (CVA) put together to help the club out of administration.

Richard Sheldon QC, arguing on Pompey's behalf, says the club will "probably be liquidated" if they lose the case.
He claimed they "will not be able to give the Football League the assurances it needs to fulfil its fixtures".
High Court judge Mr Justice Mann, who is overseeing the tax liability case at the High Court in London, says he will hand down his decision between 1500 BST and 1600 BST on Thursday
But the case is regarded as so important, it is likely to go the Court of Appeal whoever wins.
HMRC argued at a two-day hearing on Tuesday and Wednesday that the CVA was "unfair and seriously flawed" as it gave preference to football creditors, including players, who were able to claim up to 100% of monies owed them, while other creditors, including the Revenue, would receive much less.
Gregory Mitchell QC, appearing for HMRC, said: "One class scoops the pool and the rest are left out in the cold."
HMRC also argued it is owed £13m more than the £24m value put on its claim, although the administrators dispute the accuracy of the taxman's figures and assessments.
The case is being fast-tracked through the courts before the start of the football season.
Sheldon says a negative outcome for Portsmouth will prevent former owner Balram Chainrai, who put the club into administration in February, buying it for a second time.
"If the club is not sold it will clearly be relegated out of the Football League," said Sheldon.
"The administrators cannot give the assurances needed that this season's fixtures can be completed.
o.gif

"It will then go out of the Football League and into some distant league, but the reality is that it will probably go into liquidation because the administrators will not be able to fund the continued business."
Sheldon also claimed that Premier League clubs wanted Portsmouth to go bust last season when the full extent of their financial problems emerged.
He told the court that it was only the intervention of Premier League chief Richard Scudamore that saved the club.
"The clubs wanted Portsmouth to go to the wall and divide all the TV money among themselves," said Sheldon.
That prospect was avoided, however, when Scudamore persuaded the clubs to give Pompey an early parachute payment, allowing them to complete the season.
Portsmouth, who remain in administration, were docked nine points for becoming the first Premier League club to go into administration and were duly relegated at the end of the season.
They are due to kick off their Championship campaign on Saturday with an away fixture at Coventry City.

Last edited:

I really hope Pompey don't go bust. I had to stay a couple of days in Portsmouth with family once and I went to a Pompey game, the atmosphere was incredible. 18000 loyal fans singing their hearts out.

Play Up Pompey !

Why use Portsmouth as the test case? Why not go chase Chelsea or Arsenal or Manchester City? Or any other club which can afford to hire the best legal representation and isn't in danger of being wiped out by a decision in favour of HMRC?

Not on. Got onto my MP about this - he claims to be a football supporter. Dead easy to contact MPs these days from sites like this: http://www.writetothem.com/ Sent him a polite e-mail saying that I was really upset to see HMRC pursuing this case against Portsmouth and risking sending them into liquidation.

Good luck today pompy, anyone/fan who wishes this club dead isn't a ture football supporter, Rangers wern't far off administration a few months back, and while they are Celtic's rival's if they went out of business Celtic would win the SPL every single year and ruin Scottish football further, put rivalries aside for the greater good.

Dead right mate, i've had man united fans saying they'd hate to see liverpool go out of business because they're a great footballing institution. Same with pompey, when they were in the premier league they were my second team, no team should go out of business because of the people higher up. Football should be all about the loyal supporters who sit in the stands paying a fortune to sing for the club they love. It's not fair on the fans if pompey go out of business.

Why use Portsmouth as the test case? Why not go chase Chelsea or Arsenal or Manchester City? Or any other club which can afford to hire the best legal representation and isn't in danger of being wiped out by a decision in favour of HMRC?

oO) Because these clubs are all responsible enough to pay their taxes.

Portsmouth have basically avoided paying taxes on bonuses etc. (If HMRC are right, and they must have some pretty good evidence to take it to court.) And therefore do not deserve their place in the Football League and so they should be liquidated.

Back