Clubs 'wanted to let Pompey die'

• Thread starter Thread starter J0k3r
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 81
  • Views Views 6K
oO) Because these clubs are all responsible enough to pay their taxes.

Portsmouth have basically avoided paying taxes on bonuses etc. (If HMRC are right, and they must have some pretty good evidence to take it to court.) And therefore do not deserve their place in the Football League and so they should be liquidated.

It's bigger than that mate.

When English club Portsmouth goes to court on Tuesday to fight the image rights battle against Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs, it will have wide spread support from other clubs involved in football, rugby and cricket. This is because the case is going to have an impact on any club that includes image rights payments as part of the pay package of any sportsperson.

HM Revenue and Customs has claimed that Portsmouth owes GBP 18.2 million in "unpaid taxes of the image rights of certain players". This is an issue over which several other clubs are also in dispute with HMRC. The tax agency is aware that this case can serve as a legal precedent for many in the sports industry and feel hopeful that they can make a strong case that Portsmouth has been avoiding tax payments.

HMRC will make its case based on an alleged contract between the club and Sol Campbell which entitled him to GBP 1.67 million in image rights payments annually. At the time of the contract, one in every five pounds the club made was going to pay Campbell because Portsmouth’s earnings from merchandising and sponsorship activities at that time was only GBP 7.2 million a year. HMRC’s claim of GBP 18.2 million in unpaid taxes implies that Portsmouth had image rights commitments of around GBP 45.5 million and this seems like an extraordinarily high amount.

While Portsmouth will have the support of other clubs, they may well wish that they had a stronger case to back in the large-scale battle against the HMRC.

http://www.eufootball.biz/Legal/8487-clubs_support_portsmouth_image_rights_case.html

I hope and wish to the gods that pompey die and burn in **** , they should not be a special case , and you might say its coz i surports Southampton and you know what your right , but now the saints fans can gloat about money , just like pompey did 2 us around 12 mounths ago

I think if Pompey do go under it will make teams think about paying silly money for players and wages in the future.
ps I think they will go under and will have to reform under a different name and work their way back up from the lower leagues, it happened to Fiorentina not long ago...

To be honest though if these millions of pounds owed are paid to HMRC, at least it will put the country in a better place financially :)

HMRC are just trying to get the money they believe they are owed, which I believe they have the right to do. If it turns out other clubs have to then pay HMRC more money beause they have done something similar then so be it. Tax should be paid whether you like it or not. The article says HMRC has issues with other clubs but I imagine none of the other clubs are as close to going bust as Portsmouth but if this CVA goes through HMRC wont get as much money as they think they should get and then Portsmouth will be able to just continue as a football club as this Chanrai guy is apparently ready to take them over. Which is no punishment for dodging tax.

Pompey now are gonna do all they can to come back up and gain revenge
i just 99.9% know although in this case the 0.1% is more likely

HMRC are just trying to get the money they believe they are owed, which I believe they have the right to do. If it turns out other clubs have to then pay HMRC more money beause they have done something similar then so be it. Tax should be paid whether you like it or not. The article says HMRC has issues with other clubs but I imagine none of the other clubs are as close to going bust as Portsmouth but if this CVA goes through HMRC wont get as much money as they think they should get and then Portsmouth will be able to just continue as a football club as this Chanrai guy is apparently ready to take them over. Which is no punishment for dodging tax.

Do see where you're coming from and don't disagree with where you're coming from in general terms. But...

Pretty much every professional sports team in Britain will be affected by this. It's asking the courts to make a retrospective ruling on a legal point. This action could have been followed through on any number of clubs or sports teams. If the courts rule in favour of it, then so be it and the sports teams will be looking to negotiate with HMRC on how they can afford to pay the tax avoided.

However, in this specific case, turning Portsmouth into the test case near guarantees the club will go bust if the decision is reached in HMRC's favour because the club is on life support as it is. So rather than, say, Manchester City fighting a long and protracted legal battle with money it won't notice it's missing and then if it loses everyone making reasonable terms with HMRC, this approach is going to totally take out a club and then everyone else gets to make reasonable terms (or not) with HMRC.

How's that fair? How's that just? A decision for HMRC will raise potentially hundreds of millions for the treasury and allowing Portsmouth to continue rather than being liquidated will raise tens of millions over the next few years just on tax from Portsmouth and more than cancel out the writing off of the claimed money they'd owe if HMRC are right about image rights.

Sad face of football today unfortunately, money and greed at the very core of it. Make no mistake though, Portsmouth would have done exactly the same if they were ok and it was another club deep in the ****.

HMRC lose High Court judgement against Portsmouth.

Portsmouth win the case.

Breaking News !!!!!!!!

PORTSMOUTH WIN THE COURT BATTLE AGAINST HMRC !!

How's that fair? How's that just? A decision for HMRC will raise potentially hundreds of millions for the treasury and allowing Portsmouth to continue rather than being liquidated will raise tens of millions over the next few years just on tax from Portsmouth and more than cancel out the writing off of the claimed money they'd owe if HMRC are right about image rights.

You could say that HMRC who are effectively representing the country as a whole are far bigger and more important in the grand scheme of things than one football club and although I agree it seems unfair on Portsmouth, and their financial troubles have come at a time when HMRC would probably have been cracking down on most sports teams given the current financial situation the country as a whole is in anyway. They were irresponsible to do what they did and personally I dont think the court should go easy on them because of it. And you pretty much said it yourself, a decision in favour of HMRC would raise more money for the treasury, which as I said is far bigger and more important than one football club.

Although it would now appear the court agrees with you. :)

You could say that HMRC who are effectively representing the country as a whole are far bigger and more important in the grand scheme of things than one football club and although I agree it seems unfair on Portsmouth, and their financial troubles have come at a time when HMRC would probably have been cracking down on most sports teams given the current financial situation the country as a whole is in anyway. They were irresponsible to do what they did and personally I dont think the court should go easy on them because of it. And you pretty much said it yourself, a decision in favour of HMRC would raise more money for the treasury, which as I said is far bigger and more important than one football club.

Although it would now appear the court agrees with you. :)

Think we're agreeing on principle, and I'm just more militant on the detail. :) The worst part about the whole Portsmouth thing is just how badly the fans were shafted by consecutive boards. I mean incompetence is one thing, but Portsmouth's boards went well beyond that and into the realms of criminality.

Round 1 to Portsmouth as you say. Appeal Court tomorrow? Poor Max and the rest of the Pompey lot will have no nails or hair left by the end of this. Hope it's a 'happy' ending though, if you take what I mean.

Lol. I've only just woken up so completely missed any news on the case, but saw we won ^^) ^^)

Now atleast we can look forward to a season in the Championship and try do as well as possible. :wub:

Lol. I've only just woken up so completely missed any news on the case, but saw we won ^^) ^^)

Now atleast we can look forward to a season in the Championship and try do as well as possible. :wub:
Lazy get XD
Do you still have the transfer embargo?

Lazy get XD
Do you still have the transfer embargo?
(A)
I'm not sure really, I'll have a little look round later and see what this fully means for us and our embargo. I don't think we should still have it though because it there at one point because of the HMRC/players not being paid, so now that the HMRC is sorted out and made to look like mugs once again it should be fine :)

Shame it's taken so long to get it all sorted out as we play our first game of the season in 2 days time.

I am upset that there are no southern teams any more and us Londoners are left with those wankers up North, I'll tell you one thing though - I may hate these stupid 'professional Northerners' that own bastardly clubs like Wigan, Bolton and Sheffield United but at least they can run a ******* club unlike these twats on the South Coast. Hopefully one day Pompey and Southampton will be back in the top flight though.

This is off topic but how do you get the blue name or green name and a picture?

Back