core2FM

Reaction score
Google Docs

Dropbox

Introduction

I have been in and around the FM scene since the Championship Manager days. I was a regular contributor on many FM related forums. However I stopped playing in 2012/13 as the game was taking up too much of my time. I have returned this year however I no longer have access to my original login details/email etc. My day job involves testing databases and collating data, so I was naturally interested in creating a testing DB for FM in which I would attempt to remove as much randomness as possible without changing the core gameplay. Below I have outlined my attempt.

Please note this is the final testing DB, which I have tested hundreds of times making small modifications until I was happy with the results and confident enough to publish them here.

Test Team

The test team for the first round of testing is West Ham, original West Ham team, predicted to finish 8th in the test league so replicating a solid mid table/top 10 team. No transfers as transfer embargo is in place. West Ham are a good mid table team and favourites against some teams and underdogs against the others. The tactical attributes of the test team have been set to 10 and the Assistant Manager tendencies have also been set to 10. The Assistant Manager has a CA of 150. No other changes to staff a part from extending contracts of all players and staff.

For the second round of testing, I have slightly modified my original db, hopefully it is now even more accurate. I will re-test all the tactics which scored 135+ points in the West Ham test with Liverpool. I have again slightly modified the Liverpool team by changing a few roles and mirroring players feet to ensure fairness to all tactics. The Liverpool team is predicted to finish 4th in the test league, so this test will replicate the usage of these tactics with a top 4 Premier League team. All other attributes remain the same as explained below. As with the previous test team, all PPM's have been removed.

Changes made to test teams - Removed all PPM's. Mirrored some players feet to other foot to make sure all positions have natural foot players. ie. Payet originally had 12 left foot and 20 right foot. I mirrored this to 20 left foot, 12 right foot, so he can play as right inside forward or left winger. No players have 20 both feet, I only mirrored some players feet so all formations will have a fair chance during the testing process. Also changed some player role to again ensure fairness to all tactics. No others attributes changed a part from those listed below which were changed for all AI players and test team players.

AI Players

All players are retired from international duty and will retire at the end of the season. This is to ensure players don't complain about not playing. All players have had the nationality of the division and language assigned to them as a second nationality. No AI players attributes changes, no PPM's removed. The only attributes which have been fixed are below, which were changed for AI and test team players. Morale and condition is frozen for ALL teams using Panos's Fitness Coach (thanks to Panos).

Fixed attributes:

Consistency - 15
Dirtiness - 10
Important Matches - 10
Injury Proneness - 1
Natural Fitness - 15
Stamina - 15
Versatility - 15
Adaptability - 15
Loyalty - 15
Professionalism - 15
Pressure - 10

Training facilities changed to 20 for all test division teams.
All rivalries removed to ensure all games are played on an equal footing.

League Structure

The test division is a two tier division with the top 10 Premier League teams sorted by reputation in the second tier and bottom 10 Premier league teams in the top tier. We are not concerned with the top tier as the reason for this setup is to ensure all games are competitive. The top two teams in the division receive automatic promotion, the next four teams go into a playoff where they will fight for the one remaining promotion place. This ensures all teams have something to fight for until the end of the season. All teams will play each other 10 times, so a total of 90 games, which is the equivalent of 2 and a bit Premier League seasons. (The idea for this structure came from a post made by TFF, so credit to him).

I have assigned all the best referees in the game to the league and there are no suspensions, so all teams can field their best starting 11. There are no suspensions but with the best possible referees, the data collated for yellow and red cards should be accurate.

AI Managers

Luis Enrique, Guardiola, Mourinho, Conte etc have all been assigned to teams which didn't have world class managers. This is to ensure formation diversity as some managers (Klopp) will always attack, and some managers (Mourinho) will mostly defend, so it doesn't matter if the test team is a top team or an underdog team.

The AI uses a different approach depending on the reputation, ability etc of the test team. This means a tactic that does well with an underdog team might not do so well with a strong team. To mitigate this I have assigned some of the most popular formations to the AI managers and changed their tendencies to make sure some teams will always use an attacking mentality and other teams will adopt a defensive mentality. I believe this will produce balanced results which can be replicated by an underdog or strong team in actual gameplay.

I have also changed formation tendencies for some managers to ensure all teams don't use the same formations (again this is for formation and tactical diversity). I have also changed board confidence for all AI managers to 200 to mitigate early sackings.

Testing Process

I don't arrange any friendlies as I use FMRTE to change match preparation to 100 for each tactic so it is fully fluid when the league commences.

Training is set to balanced and match preparation is set to defensive positioning.

No team talks, press conferences, team meetings etc.

Simulate match (no game plan) is used for all games.

OI's as instructed by the author. Please see Dropbox screenshots. I will omit OI's if the author has requested the OI's to be omitted.

I will pick the team myself to ensure the role ability is as high as possible. I will also follow the author's instructions regarding the type of player on each wing etc. ie left footed player on left wing or right footed etc. Once the team is picked it will remain the same throughout the season as there are no injuries, suspensions etc.

I will use my best judgement when selecting setpiece takers unless specified by the author.

I will use the same saved game file for each and every test. The fixture list is exactly the same for all tested tactics. This ensures fairness for all tested tactics.

Results

I will update the thread when a new tactic has been tested. I will post a link to the Google docs spreadsheet. I will upload various screenshots to my Dropbox account, again I will share the Dropbox link, so you can view all the screens yourself. If there is enough demand I will make the final save file available for analysis. Please note you will not be able to play with this file as the players will retire at the end of the season. Save files will be for analysis only. (Spreadsheet originally posted by Mr Langvatn, modified by myself).

The results from your testing are different to others?

I have been open and honest in how I have setup the testing DB. I have made every effort to remove as much randomness whilst trying to retain the core gameplay. I could quite easily modify and remove other bits and pieces, however those results will not mean anything when compared to how we actually play the game.

In closing it is up to the user to decide which testing process to put their faith in. My job is to test, your job is to discuss.

07 May - I have tested two of the tested tactics a further three times and across all the tests there has been a 7 point deviation with one and 9 points with the other. I am quite happy with this as it is impossible to remove all the randomness from the game. However there was a big deviation with the number of yellow cards.

09 May - I have refined my original db which should be even more accurate than before. I will re-test all the tactics which scored 135+ points in the first test with Liverpool, who are predicted to finish 4th in the test league. West Ham were predicted to finish 8th. So this test will replicate the usage of these tactics with a top 4 team. I have amended my original post and full details can be found there.

Last edited:
have a good work. please test v2 kingdom, puskas v2, date and TFF9 4-4-2 :)

good job! just a question if there is no suspension wouldnt it unfair to tactic with less cards like annihilator? i notice spectre is having the highest card count

core2FM great work here. As soon as possible I think you should test zyndar's deadly circle V11, as I said in dginola's test thread, it's probably the most underrated tactic in the forum at the momment and it has a big advantage for all FM Touch lovers (like me): NO OI'S! LINK: #527

good job! just a question if there is no suspension wouldnt it unfair to tactic with less cards like annihilator? i notice spectre is having the highest card count

Yes which is why I have provided yellow and red card data. All players dirtiness is set to 10, so if one tactic is producing a very large number of yellow and red cards then it is down to the OI and tactic itself. This information is useful when selecting a tactic.

There are no suspensions as we are testing the actual tactic and not the squad depth of the test or AI team.

Spreadsheet and dropbox updated.

Yes which is why I have provided yellow and red card data. All players dirtiness is set to 10, so if one tactic is producing a very large number of yellow and red cards then it is down to the OI and tactic itself. This information is useful when selecting a tactic.

There are no suspensions as we are testing the actual tactic and not the squad depth of the test or AI team.

Spreadsheet and dropbox updated.

this could means that tactic may not do as good as in the test when playing the real league just like dginola test, now that i see your card data no wonder spectre and puskas not very good in that test
i think your test and ginola test compliment each other allowing us to see the hidden relevance, great!

this could means that tactic may not do as good as in the test when playing the real league just like dginola test, now that i see your card data no wonder spectre and puskas not very good in that test
i think your test and ginola test compliment each other allowing us to see the hidden relevance, great!

Yes exactly, which is why this data is important.

Spreadsheet updated. We have a new leader.

p.s. All the tactics have been tested using the exact OI's instructed by the author. Please see dropbox screenshots.

Hey mate, can you try the last version of the Sir Goalalot? The previous version was very successful for me in the 16.2, and I'm curious to see how it goes compare to the most popular tactics in this forum.

Sir Goalalot - 4-2-3-1 - FM16

Just click on it, it should lead you to the post 747, which is a post of the tactic creator TheWibe. The tactic link is in this post (click on the "SirGoalalot-16.3.fmf")

Thanks

Another update.

Also I am open to suggestions to improve this thread and for tactics to test.

Medmax sorry but the author has deleted his post, I cannot see his screenshots for OI's, results etc. Can you please provide info regarding this tactic.

Last edited:
Finished testing Mr Langvatn's Deep Sicillian Defense.

Please note my original save file was corrupted and a new file was setup starting with this test. The DB is exactly the same however as a new save has been generated, there may be some discrepencies. Going forward I will make a number of backups of this file, to avoid this situation. All tests going forward will use the same new save file.

On a side note, in my previous beta testing DB, this same tactic scored 1 less point, so as it stands I am quite happy with the consistency of the DB.

Update with Knap's Four Sticks.

Last edited:
I have checked the previously tested tactics with the new save and all the tactics are now producing less yellow cards. The DB is exactly the same, so this must be some FM randomness. Points wise I have tested Deep Sicillian Defense 3 times and there is a seven point variance between the tests. I am happy with this as it is impossible to remove all the random elements from the game.

Going forward my efforts are for the community, are you happy with the current testing method?, would you like me to add any more information to the spreadsheet ie, goals scored by top goalscorer etc.

Please provide your suggestions to make this the most accurate testing process.

Last edited:
Can you share the test database ?

I won't share my own personal testing DB but if there is enough demand I can make a very similar test DB for the community. This would give users a good indication if there own or downloaded tactic is any good.

Medmax sorry but the author has deleted his post, I cannot see his screenshots for OI's, results etc. Can you please provide info regarding this tactic.

Sorry mate, you're right. Indeed, TheWibe closed his thread for personnal reasons. Anyway, I used his Sir Goalalot for 16.2 with great success.

As you noticed, this FM relies heavily on crosses on far post to score and I'm tired to see the full backs being always at the top of assists ranking (and sometimes best player of the year). TheWibe was one of the first one to keep the wingers playing as WINGERS (stay wide and cross) and not INSIDE FORWARDS (cut inside), and you may notice a lot of tacticians still choose the last approach...

With the 1st approach, the crosses are shared between the wingers and the full backs. The result is I always end up with one of my winger being top assist in the league, making my save more real (personal choice).

Anyway, you can see that TFF now adjusted his tactics to keep the left footed on left and right footed on right, date 442, Knap Midsomers, Zyndar/CE Kingdom... All successful tactics playing that way.

So, to go back to TheWibe SirGoalalot, it is a 4231, no OI (even though I personnally used the TFF recommendations as it seemed relevant to me), balanced general training, Defensive positioning (as a general rule, as I personnaly adapt to each opponent).

Again, I used to play with his SirGoalalot 4231 v4 on 16.2, then it completely lost its consistency on new starting save on 16.3 (even though they say there were no change in the ME, the fact is it didn't work anymore for me). After having a chat with the Wibe, he uploaded his tweaked one for the 16.3.

It should lead you straight to the post 747 where he shared it: http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/shar...sir-goalalot-4-2-3-1-fm16-75.html#post2975229

I can just try it myself and did it actually, but I'm curious to see how it performs compare to the other successful tactics in this forum with the same chance.

Thanks for your time my friend ;)

Last edited:
Medmax thanks for the detailed write up, now you've got me interested. Will definitely test later tonight using standard OI's.

Some interesting information so far. Some of the tested tactics notably spectre and kingdom started off very strongly, but midway/towards the end of the season tailed off, probably due to AI playing a different mentality.

No tactic has yet conquered the test league, deep sicillian defense stayed at the top of the league the longest before some poor results between games 70-90 meant it tailed off quite badly. This is a very tough league playing the top 10 premier league teams 10 times, so if a tactic does conquer the league, it will be a massive achievement. However notably it ground out tough 1-0 wins away to top teams where other tactics faltered. A number of games finished 1-1, so quite possibly it could have won the league.

4-4-2 or similar tactics with straight up wingers/wing backs have performed most consistently so far. All tactics have crosses as the highest assist.

TFF's Annihilator performs much better in actual gameplay when using man marking, without man marking the results in my actual save are comparable to the test results. 90 games is too much for me to set man marking every game, but I do believe this information is relevant.

All instant result versions of annihilator produced much poorer results. The results in my spreadsheet are from the normal tactics with OI's as instructed.

Carl Jenkinson has had the highest average rating across all saves, so again good wingbacks/wingers/wide midfielders etc seem to perform best in this years ME.

Update.

Finished testing Sir Goalalot 16.3. I will update spreadsheet as soon as possible.

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/shar...sir-goalalot-4-2-3-1-fm16-75.html#post2975229

Tactic from post 747.

Stats about this tactic, most games won in a row (9), this is a fantastic achievement considering the strength of the opposition. The previous record was 6. The nine games won in a row was after 4 straight defeats, which is when a lot of people would have stopped using it and declared the tactic was rubbish, so perseverance does pay.

Another stat about this tactic, this is the first tactic where crosses were not the highest assist type. Most assists came from through balls. This is also currently the highest scoring 4-2-3-1 formation.

Also set pieces were quite weak, so it's possible by tweaking the corners, free kicks etc, this tactic could perform even better.

Last edited:
Update finished testing Kontinum v2 and TFF plug and play 4-5-1 and C.E's Replica v2.

Last edited: