Cultural Leonesa: Read OP for contents and my progress

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't wait Mr. M (A)

---------- Post added at 06:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:47 AM ----------

:O Jake.. shame on you! Where was the update as promised? :'(

Can't wait Mr. M (A)

[COLOR=#00e0]---------- Post added at 06:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:47 AM ----------[/COLOR]

:O Jake.. shame on you! Where was the update as promised? :'(

Aha Mr D.

I finished my family guy and south park marathon and then finished my update, then i fell asleep. Im now at work. The update will be posted when i get home, you can have my moderating job if it isnt! (6)

Fair enough - you can't beat Family Guy and South Park, so I'll let you off.

I'm holding you to that offer though... ^^)

SEASON FIVE 2013/14

Pre Season:

So its been a long time coming (sorry for the lack of updates, sorry Mike (A)) but La Cultus first season in the Spanish top flight since 1956 is underway. Last time they went straight back down, hopefully we can do better this time. Ive spent a number of hours scouring every potential transfer target, from unknown wingers plying their trade in Paraguay, to the wealth of regens, right through to the inevitable free transfer market.
We are joined in the top flight by arch rivals Valladolid and my minimum target is to finish above them in the league. Visits to footballing hot beds like Camp Nou, Santiago Bernabeau, Mestalla, El Madrigal etc will no doubt see the team playing for pride and for the fans rather than actual points. Of course, Barca and Madrid are favourites for the title, with Valencia leading the chasing pack. The bookies reinforced the fact that we are very small fish in a very very big pond, title odds of 5000-1 and a rock bottom finished predicted. Club funds are still tight, but the promotion windfall and subsequent top flight TV income has staved of any immediate chance of administration. The board, of course could only ask for a brave battle against the drop, offering 150K for transfers and 100k per week on wages. Ive got confidence in Rocamora and his band of heroes, and i reckon with a few quality additions we can beat the drop. I chose to avoid relegation and was offered a budget of 180k for transfers with 105k p/w for wages, time to hit the free transfer market......
View attachment 44519
View attachment 44520

Well, loans are now a no-go, being a top flight clubs means everyone expects a loan fee to be paid to acquire their players. Ive scraped the free transfer market of every piece of quality available. In the process ive sold some fringe players for healthy profit and made 3.2million for the club, hopfully i'll get some of this back in January if needed.....
Seyfo Soleys stats declined and i decided to let him go and find a new 'big bosher' to protect the defence, Ecuador international Segundo Castillo (wolves and everton fans may know the name) was acquired for free, hes excellent in the air, and far more comfortable on the ball than Soley was. Ive also added real quality to the middle of the park with former La Cultu loanee Nemanja Matic, and ex-Barca custodian Seydou Keita, both free of course. Real Madrids Pedro Mosquera jumped at the opportunity to play regular first team football, his signature along with Steed Malbranque and former Wigan and Newcastle man Ryan Taylor have added strength on the flanks. Barcelona trainee Marc Muniesa has joined and will compete with Rapnik, Stjepic and Agbossoumonde for the CB positions. Im delighted that ive not dented club finances at all yet ive vastly improved the squad. Heres my full list of ins and outs:
View attachment 44521
View attachment 44522
View attachment 44523
View attachment 44524
View attachment 44525
View attachment 44526

My tactics will remain the same, they are pretty defensive already and im not going to let superstars like Messi and Kaka scare me into parking the bus completely. Pernia is probably over the hill but his experience will be invaluable, ive reduced his attacking role to save his legs, hopefully he can still contribute with the dead ball. We have a new pitch (in perfect condition) which will probably be more of an advantage to more technically gifted opponents, but Jimenez will no doubt appreciate some bobble free passes.... After the depature of Saul im left with 2 recognised senior strikers, Jimenez and Alipio. Rocamora is accomplisehd in the forward role, however i chose not to add an extra strker mainly because i couldnt find anyone suitable, but also because the coaching staff are getting very excited about the latest La Cultu whizzkid, the homegrown Juan Jose Paredes. Hes got a long way to go, but the coaches reckon he could outshine Jimenez.
View attachment 44534

The transfer window closed with little activity in the final hours. I seriously feared losing big names to late bids, but a 3million bid from Wolfsburg for Brek Shea was the only offer i had to decline. Ive assembled the strongest squad i could given my financial constraints and poor reputation. I have no idea what to expect after my first Liga BBVA fixture, a bore draw with Almeria. I suspect my next fixture will be anything but boring...... Im really relishing testing myself (and my tactical nous) against the very best in the world, im back in the groove and should have the mid season update in a day or two!
View attachment 44535
View attachment 44536

So my biggest test to date (Real Madrid at the Reino de Leon) is about to come, i cant wait to see Segundo Castillo shatter Cristiano Ronaldos ankles...

(Oh by the way, i resigned from my USA job, i lost one match in total, 1-0 to Mexico in the North American Gold Cup Semi-Final. After the game, captain Donovan resigned and i followed suit. It was a good experience and ive strengthened relationships with future transfer targets.)

Viva La Cultu!

Last edited:
Nice update buddy, was a long time coming ;)

Good point at home vs. Almeria, they can be a good team on their day.

What position do you plan on playing Seydou Keita? Also great signings in Muniesa, Matic and Taylor, plus the rest could provide you with a mixture of experienced and solid football.

Can't really seeing you stave off Real but it's certainly worth a go. Can't wait to see the next update (hope that doesn't take too long oO)) (A)

Viva La Ponfe!

Uhm, but Rubén Jiménez is there as left go in free transfer. Another player with the same name?

Uhm, but Rubén Jiménez is there as left go in free transfer. Another player with the same name?

yeh he was a B team player that i released, i was very careful to make sure it was the correct one before pressing the release button...

Nice update buddy, was a long time coming ;)

Good point at home vs. Almeria, they can be a good team on their day.

What position do you plan on playing Seydou Keita? Also great signings in Muniesa, Matic and Taylor, plus the rest could provide you with a mixture of experienced and solid football.

Can't really seeing you stave off Real but it's certainly worth a go. Can't wait to see the next update (hope that doesn't take too long oO)) (A)

Viva La Ponfe!

Update shouldnt be too long, im right back in the FM groove and playing the file with every opportunity. I plan to use Keita as a deep lying creative CM next to my bosher; Castillo. A bit like a Gattuso - Pirlo partnership hopefully.... If not hes comfortable on the left flank, so if Achubi and Mosquera fail to perform he may get moved to the wing.

Last edited:
When I had him for Espanyol I really couldn't decide where to keep him and to what training schedule to have him do. He was excellent on the left flank like you said but he was a stormer at DM. I think I finally settled for DM as he was aging and losing his pace, creativity etc.

Viva La Ponfe!

yeah having him and pernia down the left flank might be a bad idea, considering their combined age of 70!

Mid season update should hit the forums tonight <)

Grea stuff as usual Jake, nearly missed you last update, VIVA LA CULTU ;)

Mid Season update 2013/14:

So, the January transfer window has closed for another year, and my first season in the top flight is probably going as well as i could have hoped. La Cultu are keeping their heads above water, we lie in 16th place and look good bets to stay up. We have struggled to keep it tight at the back, and whilst we havent exactly set the world alight in terms of our own goalscoring, we have a much better goal difference than most of the teams around us, which looks good in terms of staying up :D
Tenerife are simply awful, 12 goals in 21 games is not good enough, they are all but down and must hope for a miracle. Deportivo, Mallorca and Racing are all jostling for position around the drop zone, La Cultu were dragged into the scrap for a while but weve since given ourselves a 5 point cushion over that battle. Finishing above Valladolid is a realistic possibility, a hard fought 0-0 between the 2 teams at the Reino de Leon suggests we can match them at this level. At the business end of the table, the title race is all but over with Real boasting a 13 point advantage over nearest contenders Athletico Madrid, Barca are there or thereabouts in the chase for 2nd, but Valencia are really struggling and lie 7th. I was approached by the Racing chairman, and despite boasting a squad that still included Sergio Canales, i wasnt going to be swayed, i have one mission; total domiantion with La Cultu.
View attachment 46721

I cant be too pleased with our position at the moment as we are still classed as relegation candidates. We have lost big names like Castillo and Jimenez to long term injuries, and my already small squad is stretched to maximum, hopefully the likes of Irigoyen and Muniesa can really step up and prove they have what it takes to push us to safety.
View attachment 46723
View attachment 46724
View attachment 46725
View attachment 46726

Goals were never going to be easy to come by at this level, but weve scored from most positions on the pitch, and the talismanic Rocamora of course has lead the way once more, hes joint top scorer with the crocked Jimenez, both have scored 9 priceless goals. Pernia is showing his age and Del Horno ahs had no impact whatsoever, meaning ive had to rely on Brek Shea far more than i planned. Jimenez tore a calf muscle and is probably out for most of the season, i moved to sign experienced Montenegran striker Andrija Delibasic for free to support my only other fit striker; Alipio. Segundo Castillo has torn a hamstring and is out for a similar period, meaning i shall be relying on Matic and Irigoyen much more, both have put in some great performances so far. My most pleasing signing apart from the obvious class of Keita, is Mosquera, hes been majestic on the left wing, leading the charge when the obvious route to playmaker Rocamora is blocked.
View attachment 46727
View attachment 46728
View attachment 46729

My tactics as ever, are smash and grab, i dont plan to change these anytime soon, i still have a much poorer sqaud overall than the level required for this division so any attempt to play sexy football will see me 'do a west brom' and go down looking pretty. Due to long term injuries this is my current line up:
View attachment 46732

There was little activity in this window, i had a bid for a fringe youngster accepted on my behalf, whilst he is a good prspect hes certainly not worth the 1.1million HSV paid. I moved to sign a new striker as said before, but its another relatively quiet window for La Cultu. I looked for some loans to add some class to the right wing and possibly a back up right back but was unsuccessful.
View attachment 46733

Im hoping to book my place in the division for next year as early as possible, Tenerife are down already so there are only 2 potential relegation spots for me to avoid. Once im safe i shall be looking to attract fresh faces in the summer. As an 'established' top flight club i should be able to attract a few more quality players. The likes of Pernia and Keita probably wont be up for another season at this level so i need to have good backing from the board. Will i get the funds required to push La Cultu to the next level? Only time will tell.

Viva La Cultu!

well in mate you stay up this year next year Europa hope you still continue this.

To be honest, you're doing far better than I thought you would due to the team you are managing and league you're playing in, but there is only 5 points between you and 17th and 18th, and 6 for 19th, so it's not all healthy.

Hopefully you can keep it up and keep the team up. Would like to see another season in the BBVA for you as you've highly deserved it!

Viva La Ponfe!

Great start to Liga BBVA life, staying up is a distinct possibility, must be tough though with such a poor squad. Wish you all the best Jake in next half season :D

well in mate you stay up this year next year Europa hope you still continue this.

To be honest, you're doing far better than I thought you would due to the team you are managing and league you're playing in, but there is only 5 points between you and 17th and 18th, and 6 for 19th, so it's not all healthy.

Hopefully you can keep it up and keep the team up. Would like to see another season in the BBVA for you as you've highly deserved it!

Viva La Ponfe!

Great start to Liga BBVA life, staying up is a distinct possibility, must be tough though with such a poor squad. Wish you all the best Jake in next half season :D

thanks gents, but as mike says, it not quite partytime yet. Im quietly confident of beating the drop, but another injury to a key player like say Keita, Rapnik or Alipio may spell disaster.

You couldn't afford to lose Jimenez and Castillo, so losing another will cost you dearly.

How is Keita playing for you by the way? I assume he's a top, top player but he's going to go downhill from here :$

Last edited:
Good work lad. Nice to see you hanging in there.

First time I have said this but VIVA LA CULTU!!

You couldn't afford to lose Jimenez and Castillo, so losing another will cost you dearly.

How is Keita playing for you by the way? I assume he's a top, top player but he's going to go downhill from here :3

Castillo was playing in the DM role of central midifeld, with Keita next to him as a deep lying playmaker. Since Castillos injury ive shifted Keita to DM and young guns Matic and Irigoyen are on rotation for the deep playmaker role.

Im really worried about injuries to a crucial players wrecking my season, other than that i see no reason why we shouldnt stay up

First time I have said this but VIVA LA CULTU!!

Tut tut.. it's Viva La Ponfe you should be saying! XD

Whether you stay up or go down (not trying to be too negative :p) will it be chaos in the transfer market for you? I don't suppose you'll be getting TOO much money so freebies are the way forward.

Tut tut.. it's Viva La Ponfe you should be saying! XD

Whether you stay up or go down (not trying to be too negative :p) will it be chaos in the transfer market for you? I don't suppose you'll be getting TOO much money so freebies are the way forward.

There are 2 possible paths for La Cultu, both involve serious squad rebuilding in the summer:

1. Stay up, hopefully get some actual cash to spend (ive got my eye on 3 regens that wouldnt cost more than 1million each...) An improved reputation as a manager and a team should mean i can attract a better quality of player. Tired old legs like Pernia, Soriano and probably Keita can be replaced by young and hungry players, looking to prove themselves at the top level. Well, thats the plan anyway....

2. Go down........... Lose most of the talent from my squad for peanuts. I cant see Rapnik, Jimenez, Stjepic, Rodrigo, Irigoyen, Mosquera and Alipio wanting to stay. Rocamora probably wouldnt leave as he is the heart and soul of the club. I would have to build a squad with no cash and have the constant threat of losing a player to a big club at any point. The standard of player willing to come to Leon would drop significantly. This option really doesnt bear thinking about

Status
Not open for further replies.