Think you're really onto something here Crusho. Unfortunately my season was almost finished with wolves. But i tried it for the last two games, in which I crushed Stoke and Watford winning 5-0 and 3-0. I also somehow made it to the fa cup final, where I dominated Liverpool and won after penalties. Gonna give it a full season. Looks extremely interesting. Good work!

Anyone knows if the new patch is only noticeable if you start a new save or if they're in your old saves as well?

once you have updated to new patch, is there any way of going back to the older patch? its messed up the tactic for me :(

well done tff
15e1a80d51ffd3eb57b72fe57c90b7e3.png

Wow big result, you play with the original tactic ?

Playing on the 16.2 patch and in 9 matches I've yet to concede a goal with this tactic, this is not using the defensive tweak either.

got a few matches done with Paderborn, 50/50 wins/narrow 1 goal losses - but the team should be fighting against relegation so it might also be down to player quality or lack of it.... hasn't been able to get a decent right midfielder with left foot. it may also be bad luck :)

once you have updated to new patch, is there any way of going back to the older patch? its messed up the tactic for me :(
Yes there is, but you would have to download a non-cracked game via torrent. 16.2 changed/updated only a few files and folders so you would have to overwrite those with older 16.1.1 files. It's rather simple:

1. In Steam change the update method for FM16:
- Right click FM16 and go Properties.
- Go to the "Updates" tab.
- Under "Automatic updates tab" choose "Only update this game when I launch it"

2. Find a torrented 16.1.1 version of FM. Make sure that it is not cracked or else it won't work, you need the original files as we have the original copy of the game, and don't need cracked files. The one I used was from KickAssTorrents, named "Football Manager 2016 v16.1.1-3DM (WAIT FOR CRACK)". This one has original files that someone simply uploaded from their Steam folder, and it's 16.1.1, nothing is cracked.

3. Once you finish downloading it, extract it to a separate folder. Then copy the following files over those in your Steam FM 16 folder:
FM 2016\data\comps.dbc
FM 2016\data\panels.fmf
FM 2016\data\settings.fmf
FM 2016\helper.dll
FM 2016\steam_api.dll
FM 2016\fm.exe
FM 2016\helper.exe
FM 2016\helper.x86
Note: These should be overwritten. So from the 16.1.1 FM folder that you downloaded via torrent, copy these files over the 16.2 files in your Steam FM folder.

4. Go to where your FM 16 is installed and delete this folder:
FM 2016\data\updates\update-1620 This folder contains the bulk of the 16.2 updates, make sure you delete it.

5. Start Steam and run the game. It should say "Completing installation" because the version changed back to 16.1.1 Once it finishes the game will start.

6. Once the game starts Alt+Tab back to Steam. Click on "Steam" (upper left corner) and choose "Go offline". A menu will pop up which offers you to restart Steam in "Offline mode". Don't click it yet, leave it open.

7. Go back to FM 16 and exit the game, then quickly click on the "Restart in Offline Mode".
Note: Reason for this is that, with update settings "Only update this game when I launch it", Steam might run the update as soon as you close the game. So exiting the game and restarting in Offline Mode should be done quickly, at least that's what I did.

8. Start Steam again and you will be in Offline Mode, run the game and play 16.1.1 :D

Important to note: Since, like me, you probably have other games on Steam that you play online, be sure to remember that you do not run FM 16 while Steam is in Online mode. In other words, choose "Go online" when you play other games that require Steam to be online. But when you want to play FM 16 make sure you first restart Steam in Offline mode. This will prevent it from updating to 16.2.

Reason why I personally reverted my FM 16 back to 16.1.1 is GenieScout. For me, it's too time consuming to fiddle with filters, scouting etc. and GenieScout saves me a ton of time in that department (which is why I'm a long-time donator as well). Once Eugene updates GS I'll update my game to 16.2 as well.

Last edited:
GS 16.2g is out FWIW.
I'm well aware of that, and have updated FM/GS. However, the person I was replying to wanted to know how to revert back to 16.1.1 because he thinks it screwed up his tactic, hence why I posted a solution to his problem.

TFF are there any changes that need to be made since the patch? Tactic doesn't quite seem the same since. using v6 with defensive tweaks.

The tactic is as good before the patch as after it. Plus you are using TFFs tactic and using someone else's tweaks? Isn't that right?

The tactic is as good before the patch as after it. Plus you are using TFFs tactic and using someone else's tweaks? Isn't that right?
That is correct. He was referring to Edofff's tweaks. You can check out the screenshots and download the tactic with the tweaks from the post #775

Imo the tactic is as effective as it was prior to 16.2. In fact it seems to be more 'stable' in my case. I too am using v6 + Edofff's pressing tweaks.

TFF are there any changes that need to be made since the patch? Tactic doesn't quite seem the same since. using v6 with defensive tweaks.
The tactic has not been changed, TFF edited the original post 6 days ago. In what way does it feel different?

Is it a myth that tactics that was made Before an upgrade doesnt work with the New upgrade??

Is it a myth that tactics that was made Before an upgrade doesnt work with the New upgrade??
Sometimes patches to the Match Engine will render certain tactics, or specific 'exploits' within tactics, useless. However, neither has happened with TFF9's Devastator tactic in 16.2. Personally, I feel that this tactic isn't exploitative to begin with, but rather very well balanced by the author, so unless SI makes drastic changes to the Match Engine, Devastator should stay strong in future patches as well.

Back