Dimitar Berbatov - Can he continue ?

• Thread starter Thread starter AldoKemp-1
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 87
  • Views Views 5K
By the negativity, the players may feel he is slating them and it could lead to problems. It's as if it should be his way or the highway. If it doesn't go his way he isn't happy about it. I was behind the corner flag at the goal where we were shooting at in the second half and there were quite a few occasions where Rooney picked up the ball and gave it out wide and Berbatov threw a tantrum because he didn't receive the ball. In fact, there was one incident where he actually shouted at Nani for not passing him the ball in the middle when Nani beat the player down the wing before putting in a cross. Nani apologised then looked for Berbatov every time pretty much throughout the rest of the game.

I see where you're coming from about the hunger and I agree, but surely there's other ways of showing it than throwing your arms about and having tantrums.

Wasnt Ronaldo the same?

Wasnt Ronaldo the same?

As AldoKemp-1 said, there are a few players who do it, but they are usually consistent in their input to the team e.g. Ronaldo and Van Nistelrooy. They did this, but they would both score goals/ get assists regularly, whereas Berbatov hasn't scored for 9 games then scores 5 in 1, yet still expects to get the ball each and every time he wants it.

It makes sense in my head, not sure if I'm wording it correctly though :$

Last edited:
Basically RVN didn't have to run about anywhere because he scored goals week in week out, Ronaldo threw tantrums - alot of the times he was in the ideal position though, However most of the time he would run back and track the ball down plus the fact in that game he would still assist and score week in week out, Yes CR7 was the same but he provided on a weekly basis basically why Berba gets criticised more, If he put in the effort to try win the ball back every time then yes he would be more appreciated.

As AldoKemp-1 said, there are a few players who do it, but they are usually consistent in their input to the team e.g. Ronaldo and Van Nistelrooy. They did this, but they would both score goals/ get assists regularly, whereas Berbatov hasn't scored for 9 games then scores 5 in 1, yet still expects to get the ball each and every time he wants it.

It makes sense in my head, not sure if I'm wording it correctly though :$

Your making perfect sense and i do understand what you mean.

Even when he wasn't scoring, he still played well. The Stoke game springs to mind, despite Hernandez stealing the headlines. I don't get the demands for him to be a 'hungrier' player, tracking back and attempting to get the ball. Sure, it's been nice to see him do that against Rangers and Blackburn, but he just isn't that sort of player. Not for Leverkusen, not for Spurs, yet he's expected to be now.

At this moment we just have to lap it up like Berba and only hope he can continue scoring now with Rooney back and hopefully to his best.

Hail Berbatovvv :wub:

---------- Post added at 04:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:25 PM ----------

Even when he wasn't scoring, he still played well. The Stoke game springs to mind, despite Hernandez stealing the headlines. I don't get the demands for him to be a 'hungrier' player, tracking back and attempting to get the ball. Sure, it's been nice to see him do that against Rangers and Blackburn, but he just isn't that sort of player. Not for Leverkusen, not for Spurs, yet he's expected to be now.

The difference is mate that at spurs he was scoring more than he is at United, and was more influential thats the sort of point thats being made, We are agreeeing the fact Hungry for the ball is a good thing but also a bad thing the way he reacts at times, But if he isn't going to work then he has to come up with the goods every week and that is what he is failing to do. When hes good he is GREAT no doubts. But its not often enough.

Just because we payed 30M doesn't mean he will score truck loads.

In his entire career he has scored only 2 20 plus league goals. So i dont know anyone would expect anything more. He is involved in build up play, makes some nice defense splitting passes and bring others into play.

He was never prolific scorer. He is much like Ibra, he is something more than just goals.

I don't agree with that, Ibra scores every week now without fail. He wasen't happy at Barca and disliked Guardiola but at Milan he is a happy and prolific striker.

I don't agree with that, Ibra scores every week now without fail. He wasen't happy at Barca and disliked Guardiola but at Milan he is a happy and prolific striker.

He's always been prolific in Serie A. That was a bad example. I'd say he was a bit more like Bergkamp. Defence splitter, great first touch and can produce moments of excellence. Only difference is that Bergkamp was more consistent, which is where United fans gets frustrated with Berbatov whereas Arsenal fans didn't with DB.

I think the point though is that there is so much more to Ibra then being just a good goalscorer, he creates and hes incredibly intellectual player whom when not scoring is still influential on the end result. Berba is like that to a certain degree (hes obviously doesnt influence results like ibra, not yet anyway) However he did provide an alright link between midfield and attack the last 2 seasons, its just that hes a striker and we paid so much is why hes expected to score which imo isnt fair

I think Berbatov plays better with Rooney . That barren spell happened when Rooney was out with injury and now that Rooney is back Berba seems to be getting more goals (okay its one game but still) . With Rooney back we seem to be playing much better football albeit Rooney himself isn't banging them in . So its possible that he could continue scoring goals more often .

Dimitar is a player based around confidence levels, he scored a goal one minute in and boom, he was ready, also the fact that every single player on the pitch was amazing really helped him, his play with Rooney, Nani and Anderson was amazing, if Rooney, anderson and Nani can play like that every game with Berbatov, we have a beautiful link budding. I can honestly say that this game was a joy to behold, United are brimming with confidence now and if Chelsea fail to win today, I really think we will blitz the league.

Ibra is prolific? He is having a good run at Milan. In his career he has scored 20 plus league goals only once. Talk about being prolific. Not to forget he always played for THE BEST teams in the league.

He was never prolific. His style is similar to Berba, but he has more skills and moments of magic.

---------- Post added at 06:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:22 PM ----------

He's always been prolific in Serie A. That was a bad example. I'd say he was a bit more like Bergkamp. Defence splitter, great first touch and can produce moments of excellence. Only difference is that Bergkamp was more consistent, which is where United fans gets frustrated with Berbatov whereas Arsenal fans didn't with DB.

He was prolific in 2008-09 when Jose called him Best player in the world. He scored 25 league goals. Apart from that he has never scored 20 league goals.

Ibra is prolific? He is having a good run at Milan. In his career he has scored 20 plus league goals only once. Talk about being prolific. Not to forget he always played for THE BEST teams in the league.

He was never prolific. His style is similar to Berba, but he has more skills and moments of magic.

He was prolific in 2008-09 when Jose called him Best player in the world. He scored 25 league goals. Apart from that he has never scored 20 league goals.
His ability sets him among the best footballers in the world, but we obviously have varying standards in regards to how many he has to score to be considered prolific. A good strike ratio is 0.5, or a goal every other game. He's managed that every season he was at Inter, then at Barca and he's doing that at Milan.

His ability sets him among the best footballers in the world, but we obviously have varying standards in regards to how many he has to score to be considered prolific. A good strike ratio is 0.5, or a goal every other game. He's managed that every season he was at Inter, then at Barca and he's doing that at Milan.

I'm not comparing abilities. Ibra is in the league of his own. Some of his magial moments are just out of this world. I compared style of play.

I'm not comparing abilities. Ibra is in the league of his own. Some of his magial moments are just out of this world. I compared style of play.
Huh?

I didn't mention Berba. I was just pointing out Ibra is what I'd call a prolific striker.

milan drew 1-1 with sampedoria with robinho scoring milans only goal. No goal for ibra

Huh?

I didn't mention Berba. I was just pointing out Ibra is what I'd call a prolific striker.

My bad, didnt read properly. Still he isn't prolific. Maybe different yardsticks. Each to his own :)

---------- Post added at 09:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:06 PM ----------

milan drew 1-1 with sampedoria with robinho scoring milans only goal. No goal for ibra

Talk about taking everything literally :P

From redcafe.

Goals + Assists in the EPL 2006-2010
1. Rooney 106
2. Drogba 102
3. Lampard 101
4. Berbatov 100
5. Ronaldo 92 (left in the summer of 2009)
6. Fabregas 90
7. Tevez 85
8. Gerrard 84
9. Torres 77 (arrived a season later, his stats are from 07-08 season onward)

I think those stats are pretty interesting.

Rooney's been the best, Drogba, Lampard and Berbatov are pretty close though. Drogba and Lampard have scored and assisted more goals from set pieces. Which means that in terms of scoring + assist in open play Rooney and Berbatov (only 4 from his goals and assists are from set pieces) have been easily the best.

Actually, in terms of creating and scoring goals in open play Berbatov's been no 1 since the start of the 06/07 season in the PL (as Rooney made assists and scored from set pieces, too.)

Since Berbatov's arrival at OT, Berbatov has contributed 51 PL goals, Rooney 56 PL goals. If you leave aside Rooney's goals from penalties, both have contributed equal amount of goals. That's a bit surprising, as Berbatov has been **** apparently...

The stats are according to the official PL site (Official Site of the Premier League - Barclays Premier League News, Fixtures and Results | Statistics).

So much for calling him Berbaflop. If anything he is Berbatop. Contributed 51 PL goals to Rooney's 56. Never gets the credit he deserves.

Berbainterview. This was when we were unbeaten in the league.
This is shaping up to be your best season of your career...

For now, everything's going well. If we can win the title it will be even better. That's my main wish and my goals obviously help my team. If, in May, we've won the tile and I'm there to lift it, then yeah, it would be a personal best for me.

Sir Alex said he had a long chat with you before the season started - what about?

The manager talk to all the players before the season begins. He sets you goals; tells you what he expects of you. I don't want to talk about specifics - that conversation if between us - but I'm well on course with what he wanted.

Your double against Blackpool took your tally to 20 domestic goals for the season. How many more will you score?

Well we still have a lot of games left in the league, as well as matches in the FA Cup and the Champions League. We want to reach the final in both those competitions, so that gives me plenty of time. My ambitions have always been high so I'll try and score another 20 by the end.

Is there a reason you're scoring more goals this season?

I'm playing closer to the goal - often on the last defender - so that helps. But a lot of it is down to my team-mates; I've just bee in the right place to finish attacks made possible by their hard work. Wayne Rooney and I understand each other well and he does so much work that opens up space, which I benefit from.

Do you feel sorry for Wayne when he plays well but doesn't score?

No, because I don't agree with people who says forwards are judged only by their goals. Forwards also assist other players, open up space, drop deeper to receive the ball... there's so much more to a forward's game and when you consider all those attributes forwards need, Wayne is number one in my opinion. He's the best forward I've ever played with.

Has your relationship with Manchester United fans changed this season?

Obviously I'm scoring more goals now so I think people are happier with my performances. But I've never wanted the fans to sing my name or hold up banners for me. I just want to go on the pitch, do my job, entertain the fans and then go home and be with my family.

You sound like a Bulgarian Paul Scholes!

Ha, pretty much, yes! That's very accurate. I think I'm alot like Scholesy in the way he approaches things off the pitch. I don't like giving interviews or being in the spotlight. I prefer to talk through my skills on the pitch.

United are unbeaten in the league, but has criticism of performances been valid?

To criticize a team that's been unbeaten for so long seems crazy to me. Maybe people think the criticism will affect us. All I can say is that we know within the squad that this is a major achievement and we want to maintain this run for as long as possible.

Until the end of the season?

You have to be realistic. It's inevitable we will lose but for now we have to aim high. We'd love to go the whole season unbeaten. You never know: maybe we'll be the second 'invincibles'.

After missing out on a fourth straight league title, how much desire is there at United to win the trophy back?

It's huge. Winning the 19th league title is very important here. I'd love to do that for the manager, who's been here 25 years, as well as my team-mates and the fans. I think we deserve to win it. More and more teams look capable, but unfortunately only one will be victorious.

So, who's the biggest rival?

Everbody thought Chelsea were the team to beat, but they've slipped up recently. It will be very difficult for them. Personally, I think Arsenal are a very good side. I like the way they express themselves on the pitch. In my view, they're probably our biggest threat. Manchester City are big rivals and it's fantastic for the city to have two tops teams. They have very good players, but I think they need a few more years to gel.

Finally, Frank Lampard claims being the Champion's League is an advantage when competing for the league. Do you agree?

Hmm, that's a difficult question. You start the season wanting to win everything and you focus on that until you get knocked out. You have more games to play and it's harder to stay fresh, but the rewards are huge. I'd love to win them all.
I always like Berbainterviews. I like his view on forwards..

Back