Disgraceful Bhoys....

First post, but thought I'd get wired in to this any way. I'm a Celtic fan and would've observed the silence out of respect for the people who have fought for the country I live in and most of all not to embarrass my club, however, they were singing about a man who died at the gun of the British Army for handing out leaflets for Sinn Fein, not the IRA, a political party.. No matter what you say about Celtic and our fans, there is a massive Irish diaspora in Scotland who support Celtic and have an affinity with us because it was basically set up for them, so I can understand why they'd be upset at respecting British soldiers following some of their own atrocities that they caused in Ireland and against its people.

Alas, I do believe politics should be kept out of football. Just to make sure you understand this, although these Celtic fans do have their political beliefs, it is in no way sectarian. Celtic and Rangers are not two sides of the same coin. We couldn't be more polarised.

I believe like yourself that politics should be left behind when football is being played but some idiots still bring the game into the gutter,i also understand about Celtics Irish and Catholic roots and they should not be chastised for displaying them,however to make a protest like that on rememberence day will not do! It had nothing to do with Northern Ireland and the troubles over there it was for soldiers in the world wars that fought and died for our country that we live so freely in today,soldiers of all religons died side by side so there can be no excuse for that shameful protest that took place at Falkirk!
I do understand what your saying but this kind of thing should not be happening at football grounds,just because of the aforementioned affinity with Ireland does not give them liscense to do this sort of thing!

I believe like yourself that politics should be left behind when football is being played but some idiots still bring the game into the gutter,i also understand about Celtics Irish and Catholic roots and they should not be chastised for displaying them,however to make a protest like that on rememberence day will not do! It had nothing to do with Northern Ireland and the troubles over there it was for soldiers in the world wars that fought and died for our country that we live so freely in today,soldiers of all religons died side by side so there can be no excuse for that shameful protest that took place at Falkirk!
I do understand what your saying but this kind of thing should not be happening at football grounds,just because of the aforementioned affinity with Ireland does not give them liscense to do this sort of thing!

I see what your saying, but if you agree that politics show stay well out of football, why have a minute's silence at a football ground any way? Moreover, these things are supposed to remember ALL fallen soldiers, not just the ones who won against the Nazis... twice.

I think I'm right in saying that these silences take place at 11am, not 12.30 so it seems as though it has been brought in to Scottish football to embarass us as it was completely obvious we would have some idiots chanting through it. I like how this is highlighted by our English friends though because there is an "Old Firm" problem. There are far more problems with supporters in English football than a few idiots expressing their right of free speech.

Oh and those "IRA" scumbags that people have mentioned, were fighting for the British to get out of THEIR country. How would you feel if the USA decided, that's it, Britain's ours? Pretty ****** I'd think. As Ireland didn't have an army per se, they had to fight some way against a far superior opponent. I think most people's judgement has been clouded by the most recent bombings in Armagh etc. That ***** Thatcher has a lot to answer for, I'll dance on her grave when she dies! Any way, I digress hope that clears some things up.

I see what your saying, but if you agree that politics show stay well out of football, why have a minute's silence at a football ground any way? Moreover, these things are supposed to remember ALL fallen soldiers, not just the ones who won against the Nazis... twice.

I think I'm right in saying that these silences take place at 11am, not 12.30 so it seems as though it has been brought in to Scottish football to embarass us as it was completely obvious we would have some idiots chanting through it. I like how this is highlighted by our English friends though because there is an "Old Firm" problem. There are far more problems with supporters in English football than a few idiots expressing their right of free speech.

Oh and those "IRA" scumbags that people have mentioned, were fighting for the British to get out of THEIR country. How would you feel if the USA decided, that's it, Britain's ours? Pretty ****** I'd think. As Ireland didn't have an army per se, they had to fight some way against a far superior opponent. I think most people's judgement has been clouded by the most recent bombings in Armagh etc. That ***** Thatcher has a lot to answer for, I'll dance on her grave when she dies! Any way, I digress hope that clears some things up.

I think that the minutes silence has been going on for a while now but i'm not too sure?:S
This is what i don't get,if people knew that this was set-up to embaress Celtic FC then would't those people do nothing so that the club suffers no repurcussions? I just think that those idiots were going to do something no matter if there was a silence or not,because it was rememberence sunday?
I know that the IRA were fighting to get the British out of their country i do know a little bit about this subject matter,i just don't think that this was an appropriate time or way to highlight their support for them thats all? The bombings during the 70's and 80's on British soil where what turned peoples sympathy for them into hatred although i do understand that the British army did a lot to the Irish people during this time as well!
We just need to keep our politics separate from our football and just do what we were meant to do,enjoy watching our teams play!:)

I think that the minutes silence has been going on for a while now but i'm not too sure?:S
This is what i don't get,if people knew that this was set-up to embaress Celtic FC then would't those people do nothing so that the club suffers no repurcussions? I just think that those idiots were going to do something no matter if there was a silence or not,because it was rememberence sunday?
I know that the IRA were fighting to get the British out of their country i do know a little bit about this subject matter,i just don't think that this was an appropriate time or way to highlight their support for them thats all? The bombings during the 70's and 80's on British soil where what turned peoples sympathy for them into hatred although i do understand that the British army did a lot to the Irish people during this time as well!
We just need to keep our politics separate from our football and just do what we were meant to do,enjoy watching our teams play!:)

Agreed mate. I might sound like I'm condoning it, but if they want to protest it is their right of free speech. Ironically, through 2 world wars, it was the British Armed forces who fought and died to maintain that right.

Most of the people in the crowd singing are wee neds from the Green Brigade. As much as I like the colour they add to our games where the atmosphere is non-existent, I detest everything they think they stand for. Most of them don't have a clue why they are protesting in the first place. This won't change any time in the future, and we'll have the same again next year as those fans aren't doing anything illegal.

Just a point to Kris who seems to abhor everything Celtic. As a Hearts fan, I assume you know that you have the most vile away support in the country, even worse than Rangers or us combined. Don't cover up the fact that there is as much, if not more, bile coming from your support than any other in Scotland and don't let the rest of the members of this board think it's just a West of Scotland problem.

Agreed mate. I might sound like I'm condoning it, but if they want to protest it is their right of free speech. Ironically, through 2 world wars, it was the British Armed forces who fought and died to maintain that right.

Most of the people in the crowd singing are wee neds from the Green Brigade. As much as I like the colour they add to our games where the atmosphere is non-existent, I detest everything they think they stand for. Most of them don't have a clue why they are protesting in the first place. This won't change any time in the future, and we'll have the same again next year as those fans aren't doing anything illegal.

Just a point to Kris who seems to abhor everything Celtic. As a Hearts fan, I assume you know that you have the most vile away support in the country, even worse than Rangers or us combined. Don't cover up the fact that there is as much, if not more, bile coming from your support than any other in Scotland and don't let the rest of the members of this board think it's just a West of Scotland problem.
Yeh i think people should really read up on their club's history before singing songs they have no clue about,but they do have freedom of speech in this country so it won't stop the idiots any time soon unfortunately!
People down south seem to think it's just the old firm that cause bother up here largly due to conflicting religous beliefs but there are other teams within this country that are way worse than us! Aberdeen are really bad when they come to Ibrox,the same with Hibs and Motherwell,i've heard about Hearts at Parkhead but they haven't really been that bad at us,i'm assuming thats also down to religon where Hibs are seen as the catholic team and Hearts the protestant team?

Yeh i think people should really read up on their club's history before singing songs they have no clue about,but they do have freedom of speech in this country so it won't stop the idiots any time soon unfortunately!
People down south seem to think it's just the old firm that cause bother up here largly due to conflicting religous beliefs but there are other teams within this country that are way worse than us! Aberdeen are really bad when they come to Ibrox,the same with Hibs and Motherwell,i've heard about Hearts at Parkhead but they haven't really been that bad at us,i'm assuming thats also down to religon where Hibs are seen as the catholic team and Hearts the protestant team?

Most likely mate.

And sorry Kris, didn't wanna make it out as if I was shifting the blame. The state of some teams supporters in Scotland is for another thread and another day.

i really can't bothered to read all of those posts but good luck

just to let yous all know that it was a small band off knobs out side the ground that did the shouting