Do you have to go to games regularly to be a true supporter?

• Thread starter Thread starter Deleted member 79730
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 101
  • Views Views 5K
Some people have families and have better things to spend their money on. Why should all of someones hard earned money go toward a football team?

And to be fair if those guys are men that were debating against me, i feel really sorry for their kids, such idiocy coming from grown men. If they were teenagers fair enough, but to think they have families is worrying.

Oh yeah, I forgot my 16 year old mates have kids.

It's not worrying at all, what they were saying to my mate (Who is 16) was right, to you, it was wrong.

15th biggest City in England, can't even attract 10,000 people to watch us. The people Plymouth only come when its a big match. And truly, every match from this moment until the end of the season is massive. Man United? Chelsea? Arsenal? Get Lost, Get Down to Home Park.

It's different in different places I think, as a St Mirren supporter, we feel that you must have no preference to either Old Firm side which is the main one as in terms of going to games, I know many great St Mirren fans who due to various commitments can only go every so often and would do anything to go more often. Obviously it will be different at clubs like Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen, Kilmarnock and on a much lesser scale, Morton as they all have leanings towards an Old Firm club. We, and most of the rest of Scottish football despise them for various reasons such as racism, bigotry, vandalizing our stadiums, neds, gloryhunting, I could go on...

Personally, I think I probably do see myself as a 'True Supporter', I go to as many games as I can, home and away, a season ticket holder, do whatever I can for the club and always keep up to date with what is going on around the place.

If you can absolutely afford to go, but choose not to, then I wouldn't really consider you 'supporting your team'.

I think the person himself knows, just because you don't go to games shouldn't mean you're not a true fan. And I can't stand when people say you're 'not a true fan'. Since when was it their decision?!

im a liverpool fan and I live with my mum, who has 4 kids including me. so I can't get to every game ( i live
in manchester ) and i'm 14, so i'm not going to go alone.
I have been to around 10 games this season, but I also support Hyde FC (local team) and have been to each home game and a few away games, mainly stalybridge celtic (sam will know who they are, as he is from stockport)
would you guys class me as a "true fan"

15th biggest City in England, can't even attract 10,000 people to watch us. The people Plymouth only come when its a big match. And truly, every match from this moment until the end of the season is massive. Man United? Chelsea? Arsenal? Get Lost, Get Down to Home Park.

10th biggest City in England, nobody will go down cause were ****, the people rarely come down at all, even for a big match. And as you say, every match this stage of the season is massive for us. I go to every home game and any away game I can afford, regardless of where it is!

What on earth happened to the 40,000 that went to Wembley?

Dont be shy? Lets hear them.

A 'true' supporter to me is someone who will get to as many games as possible, unless finance is an issue. Armchair supporters are very annoying, especially when they go on about how much they love their club. I get to around 30 home games a season, and around 5 away games, mainly because of my age, I expect when I get above 18, I'll attend near enough every Liverpool match.

You should have good reasoning for the club you support, supporting a club because you like certain aspects of something about it, is wrong in my opinion. The club you support should be your hometown or you must have some sort of connection to the club, otherwise how can you have feelings towards it?

I could go on, but I cannot be arsed. By the way, anyone who is against my opinion, fair enough. Any posts having a go at me, I will not respond to. :)

I'm stuck in the US but still bleed light blue. Being a supporter is loving your club, not forking over your cash haphazardly on tickets and kits.

A 'true' supporter to me is someone who will get to as many games as possible, unless finance is an issue. Armchair supporters are very annoying, especially when they go on about how much they love their club. I get to around 30 home games a season, and around 5 away games, mainly because of my age, I expect when I get above 18, I'll attend near enough every Liverpool match.

You should have good reasoning for the club you support, supporting a club because you like certain aspects of something about it, is wrong in my opinion. The club you support should be your hometown or you must have some sort of connection to the club, otherwise how can you have feelings towards it?

I could go on, but I cannot be arsed. By the way, anyone who is against my opinion, fair enough. Any posts having a go at me, I will not respond to. :)

Not having a go but, maybe when its your own money you'll feel a bit differently?

I'd get a season ticket if I had the money, aswell as somebody/people to go with. I don't really think it means that much.

Thats a really snobby view, youre right i will slate it. What if someone cannot afford to go, i have a friend called tim who lives in liverpool and he is the poorest of the poor, when i went up to see him his house has like one bedroom, one spare room, a kitchen and a bathroom. He hasnt been to a game in about 3 years (and my family paid for that game too). He doesnt go because he just cannot afford it, even if he sold some household items he would be able to afford maybe one game, this guy is living off scraps pretty much. He just has enough to get by. But does that make him a fake supporter, i dont think it does and i think its a snobby view to have.

And sam you know exactly who i mean. Simon Nield and Kevin Moss was it? I believe Kevin mentioned having 2-3 kids and thats worrying if he has moronic views like the ones he does. His kids are going to be completely brainwashed by his drivel

Thats a really snobby view, youre right i will slate it. What if someone cannot afford to go, i have a friend called tim who lives in liverpool and he is the poorest of the poor, when i went up to see him his house has like one bedroom, one spare room, a kitchen and a bathroom. He hasnt been to a game in about 3 years (and my family paid for that game too). He doesnt go because he just cannot afford it, even if he sold some household items he would be able to afford maybe one game, this guy is living off scraps pretty much. He just has enough to get by. But does that make him a fake supporter, i dont think it does and i think its a snobby view to have.

If you actually read his post you'd have seen where he said 'unless finance is an issue'.

And sam you know exactly who i mean. Simon Nield and Kevin Moss was it? I believe Kevin mentioned having 2-3 kids and thats worrying if he has moronic views like the ones he does. His kids are going to be completely brainwashed by his drivel

Well then he isn't a supporter, because he isn't supporting his club. Fair enough, he might be a big fan, but he isn't a supporter as such.

If you actually read his post you'd have seen where he said 'unless finance is an issue'.
I didnt really mean to reply to his post, i was talking to the bigoted idiots who think you should go even if finance is a bit of a problem.

Sigh. Read my post properly next time, refer to Nixon's post.

Not having a go but, maybe when its your own money you'll feel a bit differently?

I'd get a season ticket if I had the money, aswell as somebody/people to go with. I don't really think it means that much.

No, I'm gonna have to renew my season ticket myself when I reach 18, and I'll renew it every year, and get to most away games, I assure you. I'd rather spend my money on my football club that anything else.

If you can absolutely afford to go, but choose not to, then I wouldn't really consider you 'supporting your team'.

Interesting. In THEORY I could go to quite a few Villa games because whilst I'm not bathed in money, I'm not badly off, but the round trip PLUS the money is something I could not stomach. London to Birmingham to watch Villa play is too far and too expensive to do regularly.

Interesting. In THEORY I could go to quite a few Villa games because I have the money, but the round trip PLUS the money is something I could not stomach.

Hmm, so you could go but the combination of the money (that you have) and the journey dictates that you don't? Poor show IMO.

What if your team keeps raising the ticket prices and you refuse to pay it because you're tired of feeling ripped off?

Absolutely spot on IMO!

What fans also need to understand is supporters like Ben and myself for instance, who attend a massive amount of games per season for their club, would attend all if it was physically possible! And in my case i have done in 3 previous seasons.

Get absolutely racked off and massively offended when you get someone from a "rival" team, or any team really on here with a vast range across the country, claiming they know it all, and tell you how "****" your club is or has done in a particular game and has never seen their teams stadium, or name the starting 11!!

THAT is what offends supporters that put so much time, effort, blood, guts and tears into their teams, the odd idiots that think just because they have bought a shirt from JJB entitles them to slate the club that we love and give everything to!

Which is where i get that opinion from, in my personal case, there are many Villa fans that don't go often if at all, but STILL, they beat you and facebook is covered in how much villa are the pride of the midlands blah blah BULLSHIT!

Of course it can be ignored, but eventually it comes to a point where the comment "have you been down the ground this season" comes out, because that is what sets you apart, where no matter what is said, you have that pride of being there no matter what!

If this offends anyone, i apologise, however this is how i see it, and similar to Ben, i wont reply to stupid replies, its my opinion and it will stay that way.

Interesting. In THEORY I could go to quite a few Villa games because whilst I'm not bathed in money, I'm not badly off, but the round trip PLUS the money is something I could not stomach. London to Birmingham to watch Villa play is too far and too expensive to do regularly.

Same here - Kidwelly/Llanelli/Swansea (whichever you've heard of) to London and back, 8 hour a day trip, plus ticket, is something that I could afford but to do it every week? Very dear.

Back