Do you have to go to games regularly to be a true supporter?

• Thread starter Thread starter Deleted member 79730
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 101
  • Views Views 5K
Interesting. In THEORY I could go to quite a few Villa games because whilst I'm not bathed in money, I'm not badly off, but the round trip PLUS the money is something I could not stomach. London to Birmingham to watch Villa play is too far and too expensive to do regularly.

Villa aint too far ;)

my uncle goes to every villa game and he lives in London ;)

come on GC!

What if your team keeps raising the ticket prices and you refuse to pay it because you're tired of feeling ripped off?

Meh, if they've raised it to the point where you can't continue to go to games at the same rate as before then fair enough. However if it doesn't really make a difference to your financial situation then you'd be willing to go. After all, your money is going to the club you love. Just my opinion.

I don't know if it's 'the passion of the north-east' or I'm just going mad, but I wouldn't move (or at least, I'd be very reluctant) if it meant not being able to watch Sunderland play. If I did move, I'd still make sure I saw at least 30 games a season. I'm not particularly well off money-wise, but it would be weird not going to the football every week. What would there be to look forward to?

---------- Post added at 04:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:03 AM ----------

What if your team keeps raising the ticket prices and you refuse to pay it because you're tired of feeling ripped off?

If it's just not going to make a point, than boo you.

Hmm, so you could go but the combination of the money (that you have) and the journey dictates that you don't? Poor show IMO.

I get up there for a couple of games a year, if I can make it. Sometimes, the whole shebang can cost well upwards of a hundred quid. It's hard to explain: I have the money to do it, but I kinda also don't.

I have enough money to spend getting there, watching the game, and getting back, but not enough to do it on a regular basis I suppose. A hundred quid is not the kind of stuff I can throw around every other week, you understand.

Frank said:
Villa aint too far ;)

my uncle goes to every villa game and he lives in London ;)

come on GC!

Aye, but he most likely has both more disposable income and more time than I. I'm a teenager, what with A-Levels and the general expense of my lifestyle (don't get EMA because apparently my dad earns too much) I have little of either.

Last edited:
i live in glasgow but i support everton since i start watching football but im 16 i can go to Merseyside to see every game but im a true supporter

for me the true supporter dont care if his team is losing or winning he would support he is team even if they are alredy relegated they would go to the matches even if his team is playing on premier,championship,leaugue one or blue square
if you can go to a game you can watch it on tv or even watch on stream

thats what a true supporter is

No, I'm gonna have to renew my season ticket myself when I reach 18, and I'll renew it every year, and get to most away games, I assure you. I'd rather spend my money on my football club that anything else.

Fair enough, but your view just seems watered down to me since you're not actually paying for it yourself, no offense intended.

I'm 14 and have held an EFC season ticket for around 10 years. I've been to one away game, (3 if you count wembley) and that was last weeks 2-0 defeat to bolton. I consider myself a true supporter. If someone cannot afford they aren't a true supporter although it is none of their own fault, they are'nt actively supporting, but inactively supporting. If someone can afford to go but choose not to, they're not true supporters.

I wouldn't want to go to every game. I don't want football to completely dominate my life. Much better things to do on Saturday than watch Fulham away from home anyway.

i live in glasgow but i support everton since i start watching football but im 16 i can go to Merseyside to see every game but im a true supporter

for me the true supporter dont care if his team is losing or winning he would support he is team even if they are alredy relegated they would go to the matches even if his team is playing on premier,championship,leaugue one or blue square
if you can go to a game you can watch it on tv or even watch on stream

thats what a true supporter is

A true supporter is someone who watches his clubs games on TV or a stream?

I'm 14 and have held an EFC season ticket for around 10 years. I've been to one away game, (3 if you count wembley) and that was last weeks 2-0 defeat to bolton. I consider myself a true supporter. If someone cannot afford they aren't a true supporter although it is none of their own fault, they are'nt actively supporting, but inactively supporting. If someone can afford to go but choose not to, they're not true supporters.
to be be honest you dont even pay for your ticket. when you no longer live in the area and are paying your own bills etc. its a very different story

sorry but that point really annoys me, ive supported my club since before you were born, dont tell me im not a true supporter

Fair enough, but your view just seems watered down to me since you're not actually paying for it yourself, no offense intended.

None taken. However the money my Dad spends on my season ticket could easily be spent on me personally. I will keep renewing my season ticket until I am unable to attend matches, and am happy enough to pay for that. My Grandad stopped attending Liverpool matches a few seasons ago, aged 80.

to be be honest you dont even pay for your ticket. when you no longer live in the area and are paying your own bills etc. its a very different story

sorry but that point really annoys me, ive supported my club since before you were born, dont tell me im not a true supporter

If you can't afford it financially to go to the majority of games then I can see, but if you have enough to go to most matches you can, and choose not to, I'd say you weren't a true supporter. And by financial I'll include living elsewhere, If I lived in london Id highly doubt I'd go to most games

I go to games when I can be bothered. XD

But what I don't like are people like one of my mates.

Supported everton all his life until 3 years ago, he turned an arsenal fan. He now has arsenal kits and posters and somehow calls himself a fan. He's never been to london nevermind the emirates/highbury and he has the nerve to call me a bad fan. Infact, I've seen arsenal play more times than he has!

I get up there for a couple of games a year, if I can make it. Sometimes, the whole shebang can cost well upwards of a hundred quid. It's hard to explain: I have the money to do it, but I kinda also don't.

I have enough money to spend getting there, watching the game, and getting back, but not enough to do it on a regular basis I suppose. A hundred quid is not the kind of stuff I can throw around every other week, you understand.

I certainly do, when I said 'They can absolutely afford it' on my initial post I meant they could go to these games without severely running down their bank accounts .

A 'true' supporter to me is someone who will get to as many games as possible, unless finance is an issue. Armchair supporters are very annoying, especially when they go on about how much they love their club. I get to around 30 home games a season, and around 5 away games, mainly because of my age, I expect when I get above 18, I'll attend near enough every Liverpool match.

You should have good reasoning for the club you support, supporting a club because you like certain aspects of something about it, is wrong in my opinion. The club you support should be your hometown or you must have some sort of connection to the club, otherwise how can you have feelings towards it?

I could go on, but I cannot be arsed. By the way, anyone who is against my opinion, fair enough. Any posts having a go at me, I will not respond to. :)

Aye to that.

I go to games when I can be bothered. XD

But what I don't like are people like one of my mates.

Supported everton all his life until 3 years ago, he turned an arsenal fan. He now has arsenal kits and posters and somehow calls himself a fan. He's never been to london nevermind the emirates/highbury and he has the nerve to call me a bad fan. Infact, I've seen arsenal play more times than he has!
Imo the only way you are not a true supporter is if you change teams.

Well I am a Barcelona fan, and have been almost my whole life. I have only gone to 1 Barca game (Barcelona 6 - 0 Malaga) this is because I've only gone to Barcelona once. I am Chilean and live in Egypt so its almost impossible to go unless i go on holidays to Barca. I have supported Barca from a really young age, this because i got a hat as a gift with their logo and were the first team i ever watched to play football.

A true fan sticks to his team from rough times and good times, and I guess since I have never changed clubs, I am a true fan, aswell as i try to catch every game possible

Not at all my friend. I live in Portsmouth and i have supported Chelsea for years, when i was younger i used to go to games reguarly but my mum and dad split up in 2000. My dad went abit crazy and moved away so i had knowone to go to games with but i watched every game that was on TV and from about 2003 onwards i havent missed one game on the net and this inclued our tour of Thiland a few years back when kickoffs where at 2, 4 and 6 in the morning.

I proberly get to 2-3 games a season if that sometimes but everyone who knows me knows how big of a Chelsea supporter i am.

Fantastic city too live in. :)

Havant way myself ;)

On topic: No, I do not believe so, i used to have a season ticket at Pompey, however with my part time job I have to work Saturdays, therefore miss quite a few games, however go to the ones I am still able too. Not to mention attending some of the Havant & W ones from time too time!

although i go to mainly every rangers game i dont think you have to go to games regularly to be a true supporter, but people who sit and watch all the games on tv and make no effort to ever go to any games and still act like the are the biggest and best fan or people who have a season ticket who stop going to games when the club is doing bad really annoy me (part timers) ^^)

[I have said before I don't think it matters if you go to games or not. I am lucky enough to be quite well off and as of that get to most home games and a decent handful of away games. I try and get to all European away nights but I can understand that is expensive and understand why people can't go. Same applies to home games, there are always going to be circumstances that means people can't watch their team. Most importand thing is you follow your team through the bad times and good.

Back